NameSilo

Godaddy Bugs

Located in Domain Registrar Reviews, started by Recons.Com, May 18, 2019

Replies:
Views:

1. tonyk2000

tonyk2000 Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Generally speaking, the latest control panel upgrade was a disaster. It is live for some time already, and the issues are still appearing, and often. Moreover, from endusers point of view the new platform is far from optimal - starting from the roots. There is no practical need to use so many java, or to have infinite scrolling and the like. As a domainer, I've seen many dozens of different control panels, so it is not hard to compare. It is obvious that the developers did not really fix some things like mixed capitalization of different domains - domain1.com vs DOMAIN2.com, they are both in db and it is visible if one scrolls too fast. The domain capitalization is "normalized" on users end by the browser and java - what is it, a joke? What is GoDaddy thinking about? I mean in general, not in aspects of each particular bug... ? Shortly, was the lastest upgrade an improvement? No, it was a downgrade. Imho.

Maybe its time for GoDaddy management to check the following -

https://www.bobparsons.com/my-16-rules

"The moment you stop improving your organization, it starts to die. Make it your goal to be better each and every day, in some small way. Remember the Japanese concept of Kaizen. Small daily improvements eventually result in huge advantages."

(quote end)

Even though Bob Parsons (GD founder) is no more with GD, the above quote is something the current management should think about, and seriously...

@Joe Styler

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. Foggy

Foggy Established Member

GoDaddy was once my go-to registrar. I had enough domains there (300+) that I got the high-touch treatment.

Almost two years ago I decided to start moving all of my domains to Namesilo and DynaDot. Every time I try to get an auth code for one or two domains by clicking GD's "Get authorization code" on the domain/setting page, I receive nothing. It was not always this way, but it has certainly deteriorated in the last year. In this month I tried four times, on four different days, to get the get auth codes for two domains. It is clearly broken.

The only way to get auth codes is to "export" and click a box to include the auth codes. That is not even close to intuitive.

3. Joe Styler

Joe Styler Aftermarket Product Manager GoDaddy Staff Afternic Staff PRO VIP

Thanks for all the feedback. Here is a portion of the work that was done over the past few weeks based mainly on feedback from customers.

• Fixed issue where export from pasted group of domains exported all domains (now only includes selected domains)
    • Fixed issue with malformed phone number preventing Change of Account (COA)
    • Fixed issues with incorrectly formatted auth codes during transfers (scrubbing extra spaces when entered unintentionally)
    • Fixed issue with expired domains not being able to be unlocked.
    • Fixed issue with bulk CoA/ Change of Registrant (CoR) to allow contact info to be applied to many domains and accepted at the same time
    • Added domain status filters in Domain Manager (active, inactive, etc.)
    • Fixed DNS template
    • Fixed failed CoA's by preventing domains with privacy from starting CoA
    • Fixed issue with reverse sort by expiration date
    • Added functionality to press [TAB] between nameserver entry fields when modifying DNS
    • Fixed issue where forwarding information was not correctly displaying all details and full URL
    • Fixed loading issue in Afternic listings page on domain manager where browser kept spinning if too many domains were selected.
    • Added option to include authorization code in exports (no longer included automatically by default)
    • Added file compression option to export creation and default is now set not to compress export file
    • Fixed issue where Domain Manager not showing any prices in Pricing column and wrong pricing displayed (Such as Discount Domain Club (DDC) price when user has no DDC membership)
    • Fixed issues with bulk searches and filters
    • Fixed issue with applying bulk domains to folders and filters
    • Added option to include folders to export options
    • Fixed pagination issue where domains stopped loading after first several pages
    • Fixed exports for large portfolios to pull all domains and create downloadable file via page in Domain Manager
    • Added option to allow filtering by profile and folder
    • Fixed issue where Renew button was displaying without any eligible domains being selected

We have been busy working on the fixes or options everyone asks for. Thanks again for the feedback.

4. Ja Kai

Ja Kai Account Closed (Requested)

Thank you. Sorry for all the grief I post. It is just SOOOOOO frustrating. Thank you for paying attention and fixing these previously debilitating conditions.

5. vital

vital Established Member

Is there a way to transfer out when the domain is in redemption period? Transfer would be the best solution, but I don't think that's possible - Auth code received, can't unlock the domain though.

6. Joe Styler

7. Recons.Com

Recons.Com Top Contributor VIP

Thank you! It is great to see progress!

Few things that haven't changed:

1. folders are still messed up. My 4L.com folder has bunch of other names there and I cannot delete them from there. Meaning, I reenter the folder and they are there.

2. If I search and select names to perform bulk action, it just does that on the selected one from the last screen, although it clearly shows 12 names selected, for example.

3. Selecting and choosing forwarding for multiple names doesn't work, if nameservers are not GD ones (before, it could do both steps in one go, basically saying that we will change the nameservers). So now I change the nameservers first. Extra step.

4. Even after that, setting forwarding the first time and clicking submit doesn't do anything. So you need to close the pop-up, reopen repeat the same exactly and then it works.

5. Refreshing loses all selections. And you have to refresh somethimes, because that loading circle can go for 10 minutes without proceeding. And then all the work lost. I was going through 3600+ names, choosing to change forwarding for some names. I had found 90 and selected them going through 5 pages, on page 6 it got suddenly stuck. Waited out 10 minutes, still rolling. Then refreshed and ... nothing selected. Repeat again. Very annoying.

6. This wasn't in the old one too, but why not to add ability to filter by the length of the names? Then I won't need folders for it or go through inventory to check again if I added more that satisfy that parameter. Why we still cannot sort by forwarded URL, by nameservers? It should literally take 1 hour for someone to implement it and make possible.

I have more than doubled my portfolio with you in last 1-1.5 years, but if I am to continue to grow with you and go into tens of thousands of names, I need proper functionality. I am already wasting too much time with this simple things with 3600+ names.

8. AnthonyD

AnthonyD Optimal Names VIP Gold Account

My frustration with GoDaddy and the bugs on their site has finally hit a wall. I've been a customer since early 2003. I have seen it evolve (or devolve if you want my opinion) into what it is today. But lets leave opinions aside for now. Here are the facts of what I encounter, daily, trying to manage my domains and my account there:

After receiving this error

upload_2019-12-17_11-1-46.png

I am forced to another browser. Not many customers can do this or know how to install another browser. I refuse to clear my cache every 10 minutes just to get a site to work. Doing that screws up other sites that I visit, it logs me out of gmail, it is a real PITA not to mention, most people just dont know how to do that. I think of my parents in a time like this - how would they be able to use GoDaddy? When people ask me, I tell them to go elsewhere now. I dont want them coming back to me complaining about this bug and that bug and this interface error and that doesnt work properly..

Eventually I am in using another browser.

How could receipts have passed testing? I've been waiting years for it to get an overhaul and now it absolutely sucks. I want to manage my order history. I have receipts with GoDaddy dating back to early 2003.

So lets say I want to view a receipt from a date range of March-01-2003 to December-31-2018, thats usually a simple thing - right? Not with GoDaddy. They have somehow Fakakt that functionality...

You have to go to filters and then chose date range. The range defaults to "today" through "today" fill in "today". In my case its December 17, 2019. OK. Now I want to select a START DATE. To get the start date I want (March 1, 2003) I have to click the left arrow on the left side of the "from" calendar from where it defaults (December 17, 2019) and click ALL THE WAY BACK to March of 2003? Why? Count those clicks, one for each month. That is a total of TWO HUNDRED CLICKS! My hand is numb. Now I want to choose my end date. Well, for whatever reason I cant imagine the right side "end" date calendar "follows" you with each of those 200 clicks to remain 30 days ahead of the left side "start" date. So if I want my end date to be TODAY, which I do, I must click BACK another TWO HUNDRED CLICKS! So now I have made 400 clicks.

Are you all still with me? I've now clicked 400 times. Well, not really, I am not that stupid. I cleared the filter and decided to just scroll down and when I get to the bottom of the page I click load more
    upload_2019-12-17_11-20-33.png

and I do that until I have reached the end of my order history, 1529 receipts.

BTW, I am not a UI designer by any stretch but I do notice the massive waste of space on this site. There is white-space everywhere. I have a 17 inch monitor and very good resolution. I can only see FIVE receipts at any time, above the fold. What a waste of space. I know that in the past I used to see much more on one screen and there has been this trend toward of showing less. Why. All we are doing is clicking and scrolling.
    upload_2019-12-17_11-29-21.png

So I scroll down, each time it loads 250 more receipts, and I do that a handful of times until all 1529 receipts are showing. Thats faster than their calendar method but still a PITA. OK, so lets create one large CSV file for me to play with...

nope. wont let me.

upload_2019-12-16_17-7-54.png

So now I figure I will export two files, one of 1000 orders and the other of 529 orders. How to do that.....

Well, I cant. I am right back to the absurdity of clicking forever until I reach that 1000th receipt, the limit they imposed on exports.. No matter which way I go there is either an error or a non-thought-out UI standing in my way of being productive. My time is worth money and I am wasting both when using my GoDaddy account. And this company will earn several billion dollars this year - very sad to show for.

This is not rocket science stuff here. We're not landing rovers on Pluto. Its data, no graphics at that - just letters and numbers. Why does it need to be so convoluted?

GoDaddy, you really dont want me to use your system do you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  9. tonyk2000

tonyk2000 Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Separate GD-only browser (with everything allowed, no privacy extensions or adblocking or anything similar, GD website likes to track customers) is something I had to switch to long time ago. I would have no issues cleaning cache (or, to be more specific, clean everything each time the browser is closed). Whatever browser is the main one, it should be possible to select some chrome clone as an extra godaddy-only browser - brave, opera, chromium, vivaldi just to name a few. And install it together with the main one on any platform - be it mac, win or linux.

What should regular customers (who are not domainers) do is still the question...

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  10. carob

carob Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Just enjoy the mud bath, it's good for you, people pay good money to go to thermal baths and sit in hot mud. Then again, not sure Godaddy's big ball of mud is so hot, but it sure is sticky...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_ball_of_mud

11. Sinh

Sinh Top Contributor VIP

@Joe Styler Are you there? I have a domain having an issue with transfer pending and I have sent 3 emails to [email protected] during 1 week but I haven't received any feeback.

12. wwwweb

wwwweb Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

I have noticed the transfer verify service is no longer verifying, they are just waiting 5 days, and releasing. They maybe overwhelmed, usually takes 2-3 days to get a response.

13. Joe Styler

I responded, sorry for the delay.

14. Sinh

Sinh Top Contributor VIP

Thank you, i am still waiting for them. I sent several emails but no answers.

15. wwwweb

wwwweb Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

The transfer verification holds are causing bigger problems in terms of expiring auctions are closing, people are paying, and then they are transferring out after the fact since they are on hold for 5 days. Otherwise the domains would be expressed out, and not even get to the close, saving everyone time, and money.

16. Sinh

Sinh Top Contributor VIP

Finally, the pending transfer has completed today. Thank you.

17. Joe Styler

Sure sorry about the delay.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
biix
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice