NameSilo

What is wrong with Godaddy and Afternic and will any problem ever get fixed?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Recons.Com

Top Member
Impact
I am getting genuinely annoyed after years of trying to work with GD/AN on solutions.

But it starts affecting me even more now that the bugs just stack up (as old ones never go away) and my portfolio has grown to over 35000+ with them.

The Singapore issue went away for couple of weeks (that is when it kept deciding I am in Singapore and showing me everything in their currency and with extra tax) only to re-surface and switch me literally every hour on some days.

The valuation column got messed up for newly added names and got fixed after I pushed for it only to get wiped out again since May 21 and no action since then.

On Afternic, the visit stats have gone nuts. The numbers show in default view of portfolio, but if you resort them, they "disappear" until next session. I won't even mention that a simple function of sorting by visits is still too complex of a task for AN to add.

Adding to AN from GD direct is somehow not good enough to verify ownership which is messed up. So I first add the personalized NS they provide for verification, but that is not also enough for some names. What the heck?

And now they have new problem: the already approved names came back into the "under review" queue for no obvious reason. I had around 30 come there over the weekend and it just grew to 56 in past hour. One thing is dealing with the whole mess listing, another is dealing with it again and again. That becomes unmanageable.

I have spent hours with GD/AN support detailing all these and even suggesting solutions, diagnostics etc. and it always reverts to square one, no, scratch that, scratch minus 1, as it is always in some worse form. E.g. the latest names I added to AN via GD show PENDING for all of those after many hours. Before they "fixed" it, that would affect few.

I wonder if this is the tech team being unqualified to solve simple problems like synching across different DBs or someone inside is sabotaging it on purpose, because I cannot find any other explanation. They could have retained Dan's tech team and charged with this tasks and by now everything would be working smooth. Yet they choose to stick with the existing and perpetuating the problem.

Anyway, I will give it another month or two and if the problems are not solved fundamentally, I am ready to move out my 35000+ names to another registrar. I can't afford to waste so much time.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Is that no enquiries or offers either?

I have most names on bin landers of afternic, so they normally don't get those. about 20% are with inquiry. Those do get them regularly and some are in negotiation status, but the way Afternic brokers are, no surprise that they don't close. Some just do emails only. Some after "engagement occured" don't call or email for weeks etc. It is far cry from the times when GD itself was proudly declaring that they engage people on the call in first 24 hours as that increases the chance of a sale drastically (don't remember if it was by 25% or 50%). When I had my own negotiations with Dan, the first day was essential and if you are responsive and exchange the back and forth, you were very probable to close within first.

•••
Try to buy your own domain using Godaddy unused gmail account and see if you encounter any issue like a buyer. my inkling is verification mail going to gmail spam folder. I had that issue in DAN .

•••
After realizing Afternic was out to lunch, I placed my domains on Sedo's nameservers. They're still listed at Afternic and Dan, so I'll let them figure out their problems before returning.

•••
Besides the fact that the name got renewed and that happens sometime (less often than it used to be before as they have reduced the time a customer can renew, but some names come from partners), the multi-billion company cannot resolve payment cart issues for many days now.

@GoDaddy are you guys on it, or it is one of those "we checked and everything seems fine. Check with your provider or clear your cache" type of situation for you?

To update the "bug resolution progress", I got another 47 names added to "under review" section in one day. Some of them are perfectly fine previously approved names, some are ones that I had deleted completely, which shows that this newer part of the older issue is related to Dan and listings via there messing up the whole system.

Plus, in line with the principle of "never be satisfied with the current level", a new issue appeared today: my Afternic dashboard's "buy now price missing" went from "0" to ... "1501". When clicked, it shows ... four domains. And those were the ones that I had long deleted as either sold or not-renewed. Go figure. But I love the spirit of never being satisfied and adding new "features" to the bug list.
Hi @Recons.Com
Thanks for working closely with our teams behind the scenes while we resolved the Afternic views and Portfolio Manager valuation issues you reported. We continue to appreciate your feedback!

We'll follow up with you via DM, now.

•••
Hi @Recons.Com
Thanks for working closely with our teams behind the scenes while we resolved the Afternic views and Portfolio Manager valuation issues you reported. We continue to appreciate your feedback!

Thanks, James. I appreciate the whole team effort working on the issues.

GD - GD Auctions - Afternic - Dan ecosystem is truly essential for the domain investor success, so looking forward to getting things smoothed out.

•••
Hi @Recons.Com

are u shutting down dan cause no mods say so.. if so then when if not then how about u tell your workers not to spread fake news. tnx.

•••
are u shutting down dan cause no mods say so.. if so then when if not then how about u tell your workers not to spread fake news. tnx.

Not sure what you will achieve with this. It is a huge organization and people talk. There also might not be a formal ban or secrecy, but no one might be officially authorized to confirm anything as that might be detrimental in itself.

So, let me guess, he has only two viable options with your questions: a) ignore b) say that he is not aware of this and he cannot know whether someone has been spreading anything or sees point commenting rumors.

Not sure why you take it personally though. Dan has been juiced out, doesn't provide much of incremental value once few more things get inhoused (like 5% lead now processed through dan even for Afternic, LTOs etc.).

•••
Try to buy your own domain using Godaddy unused gmail account and see if you encounter any issue like a buyer. my inkling is verification mail going to gmail spam folder. I had that issue in DAN .

I might do that test. I did test Dan for the issue you mentioned and it did ask to enter a token which I found in spam with the red warning on top. So this could explain some of Dan problems. I reported via chat and got some generic BS response that they are constantly monitoring those things. In short, this is not the same Dan that could solve any tech issue within hours... But, probably, doesn't matter either.

Right now, Dan is more of a problem for me than a value. Reason being that Dan partner network from optional became mandatory and then Afternic managed to drop a ball by giving Dan listing priority over the owner's listing. So, you try to add your name into your account in AN and it might show it as listed. You also add the frontrunners going rampant there and it is a serious issue both taking away some of your AN/DAN sales, and creating mistrust from buyers as a certain percentage of buyers will always end up not receiving their purchase and getting refunded.

•••

Really where you heard this rumour? DAN is best UI and customer care in the industry. But this make sense given recent issues, no people to fix things in DAN ?

•••
I might do that test. I did test Dan for the issue you mentioned and it did ask to enter a token which I found in spam with the red warning on top. So this could explain some of Dan problems. I reported via chat and got some generic BS response that they are constantly monitoring those things. In short, this is not the same Dan that could solve any tech issue within hours... But, probably, doesn't matter either.

Right now, Dan is more of a problem for me than a value. Reason being that Dan partner network from optional became mandatory and then Afternic managed to drop a ball by giving Dan listing priority over the owner's listing. So, you try to add your name into your account in AN and it might show it as listed. You also add the frontrunners going rampant there and it is a serious issue both taking away some of your AN/DAN sales, and creating mistrust from buyers as a certain percentage of buyers will always end up not receiving their purchase and getting refunded.

Do sales started to flow in?

•••
Really where you heard this rumour? DAN is best UI and customer care in the industry. But this make sense given recent issues, no people to fix things in DAN ?

np mods said it on few thread.. I wouldn't bother posting if np member said it..but when its np mods u assume it's good info

•••
Not sure what you will achieve with this. It is a huge organization and people talk. There also might not be a formal ban or secrecy, but no one might be officially authorized to confirm anything as that might be detrimental in itself.

So, let me guess, he has only two viable options with your questions: a) ignore b) say that he is not aware of this and he cannot know whether someone has been spreading anything or sees point commenting rumors.

Not sure why you take it personally though. Dan has been juiced out, doesn't provide much of incremental value once few more things get inhoused (like 5% lead now processed through dan even for Afternic, LTOs etc.).

I want to achieve truth. obviously. as I said I wouldn't mention it if an avg user posted it but when mods spread this info one pays attentin. and thus seeks confirmation. for u who not use dan u do not care about truth... for others who do it is biz changing info as they need to prepare and seek alternatives.

•••
I want to achieve truth. obviously. as I said I wouldn't mention it if an avg user posted it but when mods spread this info one pays attentin. and thus seeks confirmation. for u who not use dan u do not care about truth... for others who do it is biz changing info as they need to prepare and seek alternatives.

The truth is they will shut it down and I don't need any insider info for that. You can deduce it from the sequence of events, steps, changes since the takeover. I'd give it until the end of 2024. Just give it 6 months and you will have the truth.

•••
Do sales started to flow in?

I had couple, but both were GD's own search path, so if there were any partner cart issues or lander cart issues, they might still be there. I will wait until I get one from those before concluding.

•••
The truth is they will shut it down and I don't need any insider info for that. You can deduce it from the sequence of events, steps, changes since the takeover. I'd give it until the end of 2024. Just give it 6 months and you will have the truth.

well I just learned from same mods that afternic offers addlead too for 5percent too... so there is one alternative.. notsure if it's a new option there or I just never heard it before... since u are all gd and afternic and not much a dan guy maybe u can use that option.

•••
well I just learned from same mods that afternic offers addlead too for 5percent too... so there is one alternative.. notsure if it's a new option there or I just never heard it before... since u are all gd and afternic and not much a dan guy maybe u can use that option.

I have tested dan plenty... Never really worked for me, but, yes I had done enough A/B tests for prolonged periods of time. After commission increase, forced distribution network inclusion and some other changes/issues, as well as AN adding some of its features, it won't be missed much.

•••
I have tested dan plenty... Never really worked for me, but, yes I had done enough A/B tests for prolonged periods of time. After commission increase, forced distribution network inclusion and some other changes/issues, as well as AN adding some of its features, it won't be missed much.

can u say why distribution network addition on dan can be bad thing?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back