Dynadot

GoDaddy Bugs

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Recons.Com

Top Member
Impact
First, GD is my favorite registrar so far.

Second, they do have bunch of bugs and the fact that they don't go away for months and years while new ones pop up regularly just baffles me.

Anyway, in this thread I will be posting the issues I am having and hopefully with the help of the magnificent @Joe Styler something starts happening.

So, the fresh one:

For about one week now, in the GD new interface, I select certain sorting of the names (let's say by appraised value) and it shows me first 500 names, then if I click the arrow for the next page, it gives me the rotating circle saying "loading" that won't go away for hours (yes, I have tested, while doing something else).

What worries me is that the new interface will become the only one, while it still lacks most of the functionality of the old one, but that is another thing for now.

gd-loading.JPG

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
My frustration with GoDaddy and the bugs on their site has finally hit a wall. I've been a customer since early 2003. I have seen it evolve (or devolve if you want my opinion) into what it is today. But lets leave opinions aside for now. Here are the facts of what I encounter, daily, trying to manage my domains and my account there:

After receiving this error

upload_2019-12-17_11-1-46.png

I am forced to another browser. Not many customers can do this or know how to install another browser. I refuse to clear my cache every 10 minutes just to get a site to work. Doing that screws up other sites that I visit, it logs me out of gmail, it is a real PITA not to mention, most people just dont know how to do that. I think of my parents in a time like this - how would they be able to use GoDaddy? When people ask me, I tell them to go elsewhere now. I dont want them coming back to me complaining about this bug and that bug and this interface error and that doesnt work properly..

Eventually I am in using another browser.

How could receipts have passed testing? I've been waiting years for it to get an overhaul and now it absolutely sucks. I want to manage my order history. I have receipts with GoDaddy dating back to early 2003.

So lets say I want to view a receipt from a date range of March-01-2003 to December-31-2018, thats usually a simple thing - right? Not with GoDaddy. They have somehow Fakakt that functionality...

You have to go to filters and then chose date range. The range defaults to "today" through "today" fill in "today". In my case its December 17, 2019. OK. Now I want to select a START DATE. To get the start date I want (March 1, 2003) I have to click the left arrow on the left side of the "from" calendar from where it defaults (December 17, 2019) and click ALL THE WAY BACK to March of 2003? Why? Count those clicks, one for each month. That is a total of TWO HUNDRED CLICKS! My hand is numb. Now I want to choose my end date. Well, for whatever reason I cant imagine the right side "end" date calendar "follows" you with each of those 200 clicks to remain 30 days ahead of the left side "start" date. So if I want my end date to be TODAY, which I do, I must click BACK another TWO HUNDRED CLICKS! So now I have made 400 clicks.

Are you all still with me? I've now clicked 400 times. Well, not really, I am not that stupid. I cleared the filter and decided to just scroll down and when I get to the bottom of the page I click load more
upload_2019-12-17_11-20-33.png

and I do that until I have reached the end of my order history, 1529 receipts.

BTW, I am not a UI designer by any stretch but I do notice the massive waste of space on this site. There is white-space everywhere. I have a 17 inch monitor and very good resolution. I can only see FIVE receipts at any time, above the fold. What a waste of space. I know that in the past I used to see much more on one screen and there has been this trend toward of showing less. Why. All we are doing is clicking and scrolling.
upload_2019-12-17_11-29-21.png

So I scroll down, each time it loads 250 more receipts, and I do that a handful of times until all 1529 receipts are showing. Thats faster than their calendar method but still a PITA. OK, so lets create one large CSV file for me to play with...

nope. wont let me.

upload_2019-12-16_17-7-54.png

So now I figure I will export two files, one of 1000 orders and the other of 529 orders. How to do that.....

Well, I cant. I am right back to the absurdity of clicking forever until I reach that 1000th receipt, the limit they imposed on exports.. No matter which way I go there is either an error or a non-thought-out UI standing in my way of being productive. My time is worth money and I am wasting both when using my GoDaddy account. And this company will earn several billion dollars this year - very sad to show for.

This is not rocket science stuff here. We're not landing rovers on Pluto. Its data, no graphics at that - just letters and numbers. Why does it need to be so convoluted?

GoDaddy, you really dont want me to use your system do you.

Attachments

• upload_2019-12-17_11-29-5.png
    upload_2019-12-17_11-29-5.png
    90.5 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
•••
Thanks for all the feedback. Here is a portion of the work that was done over the past few weeks based mainly on feedback from customers.

• Fixed issue where export from pasted group of domains exported all domains (now only includes selected domains)
  • Fixed issue with malformed phone number preventing Change of Account (COA)
  • Fixed issues with incorrectly formatted auth codes during transfers (scrubbing extra spaces when entered unintentionally)
  • Fixed issue with expired domains not being able to be unlocked.
  • Fixed issue with bulk CoA/ Change of Registrant (CoR) to allow contact info to be applied to many domains and accepted at the same time
  • Added domain status filters in Domain Manager (active, inactive, etc.)
  • Fixed DNS template
  • Fixed failed CoA's by preventing domains with privacy from starting CoA
  • Fixed issue with reverse sort by expiration date
  • Added functionality to press [TAB] between nameserver entry fields when modifying DNS
  • Fixed issue where forwarding information was not correctly displaying all details and full URL
  • Fixed loading issue in Afternic listings page on domain manager where browser kept spinning if too many domains were selected.
  • Added option to include authorization code in exports (no longer included automatically by default)
  • Added file compression option to export creation and default is now set not to compress export file
  • Fixed issue where Domain Manager not showing any prices in Pricing column and wrong pricing displayed (Such as Discount Domain Club (DDC) price when user has no DDC membership)
  • Fixed issues with bulk searches and filters
  • Fixed issue with applying bulk domains to folders and filters
  • Added option to include folders to export options
  • Fixed pagination issue where domains stopped loading after first several pages
  • Fixed exports for large portfolios to pull all domains and create downloadable file via page in Domain Manager
  • Added option to allow filtering by profile and folder
  • Fixed issue where Renew button was displaying without any eligible domains being selected

We have been busy working on the fixes or options everyone asks for. Thanks again for the feedback.

•••
With all due respect to GD, when I recently saw a banner "we will retire the old interface", the only thing I could think of was - OMG, NOT AGAIN.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

Godaddy developers and marketing team should print the above slogan, put it on the wall, and read it each and every day at the beginning of the day. Why the history does not teach them?

•••
That is not a bug. Your name sold. It did not sell as an auction. It sold as a premium listing. Therefore it should show up in your, didn't sell section, on auctions as the auction listing cancels after it sells via another channel. We can't say it sold on the auction because it didn't. We need to take it from the domain manager page because you don't own it anymore, we gave it to the buyer.

Payment typically takes 5-7 days. It depends on the holidays and weekends etc when the banks are open, how you are being paid, what the bank accepting the payment does etc. Paypal is typically the fastest method of payment.

•••
This one keeps happening.

I'm already logged into GoDaddy. Go to GoDaddy Auctions to reply to an offer, have to login into GoDaddy Auctions, which isn't working and kicks me back the main screen login

•••
yours should be working now.
It does, finally. I really like to work with domain management and exportable lists again.

We could close this thread now if our objective was to market a 1990s used Ford car in Mexico. Shouldn´t we try to sell the handmade Tesla Model Crown in Monte Carlo? So I will continue, being a well-paid member of the Namepros Registrar Support Team. Some peanuts are left:

New observations in domain manager
  • Scrolling down the domain list lets the lines jump. Only the domain name is shown while checkboxes are added on the left and the other data is added on the right during the scrolling process.
  • I have learned if the mouse pointer becomes a hand symbol I can start an action. The columns seem all to be sortable (hand symbol on headline) but only a few get sorted up and down, e.g. Expires-on and Estimated value. Others don´t like Nameservers, Auto-renew, Forwarding. I would appreciate to be able to sort every column.
  • Domains which have been purchased in Godaddy Auctions show old forwarding links though these are inactive given changed Nameserver settings by me.
Old observations
Don´t forget to add Afternic listings column to Domain Manager again. It would be an improvement to add a column to exportable lists, too.
As Afternic doesn´t provide any list downloads or online sorting possibilities this "wish" is a no-brainer IMO.

In another thread people report a double-login to Godaddy auctions which is really annoying. I know this from the start so I am used to it. But it does not feel very straight.

I tried Payee settings again and couldn´t finish of different errors. Will send you screenshots if interested.
This section in Godaddy should be an extremely safe place. And it belongs to my money. No peanut here.

Gadaddy asks for updates in my unchanged Payee accounts that I cannot provide. I can´t finish the process but [email protected] confirms changes everytimes though.
The Payee update smoothly worked for the identical Afternic Payee account. But Godaddy staff say they cannot use Afternic Payee. One enterprise? And while waiting for my payout to Paypal I have to use my creditcard there which costs additional fees and losses of currency conversion.

Last edited:
•••
Separate GD-only browser (with everything allowed, no privacy extensions or adblocking or anything similar, GD website likes to track customers) is something I had to switch to long time ago. I would have no issues cleaning cache (or, to be more specific, clean everything each time the browser is closed). Whatever browser is the main one, it should be possible to select some chrome clone as an extra godaddy-only browser - brave, opera, chromium, vivaldi just to name a few. And install it together with the main one on any platform - be it mac, win or linux.

What should regular customers (who are not domainers) do is still the question...

Last edited:
•••
•••
Other recent bugs:

1. At auctions, when I click on specific domain to go to its page I get nginx error page instead.

2. On domain transfer, I tried to accept contact change requested before accepting the name and got "invalid" error. Had to do the "incognito" tab workaround. But, really? This error has been around for over a year and GD still works only with workaround? How do I explain it to a buyer?

•••
@Joe Styler @Paul Nicks

I understand that you guys are already tired of all the reports and nothing happening on the IT side of your company, but something has to be done. Just ignoring the accumulating issues is making things get out of hand completely. Just check out the sales report where one person on days informed that simple GD to GD push did not work, so he had to transfer out to Google Domains.

Now my sale is about to get completely cancelled, because buyer sees only "cancel" option, while "accept" option is greyed out. He cancelled after waiting for 3 (!!!) days with the domain hung in "in progress" status. I have reinitiated it again, but have little faith this will go smooth.

I have almost 3000 names with you guys and growing at few hundred a months, but this all makes me to reconsider my options going forward, especially if I get any sales lost because of this.

domain-transfer-bug_V1.jpg

•••
As a curiosity, I checked careers.godaddy.com website. At this time, GD is looking to hire:

Sr. Site Reliability Engineer
Los Angeles, California; California; Arizona

Requirements (among others):

Ability to comprehend, analyze and research problems of a complex nature; make decisions and recommendations to lead the implementation into a production environment

Senior Software Engineer - Backend
Kirkland, Washington

Responsibilities (among others):

Write great code and create unit and integration tests that prove it.
Participate in ensuring a high quality and performant system that engages and delights customers.
Perform code reviews and participate in defining and supporting coding best practices.

I beleive GoDaddy MUST hire the above mentioned engineers ASAP, as somebody has to "save" their basic domain management area.

However, I did not find any open jobs for UX and UI testing exclusively. It is unfortunate. Maybe it is the reason why this thread exists? If so, myself and other NP members (bulk and professional customers) might do this for GD after they prepared this "new" system, but before it went live. What prevented GD from asking us? ;-()

Cc @Joe Styler

•••
Spent over an hour on Godaddy chat trying to resolve a push, the advice they gave you could not implement because the button they wanted you to push was greyed out etc etc and finally the "support" person said this: "there are some things which is out of our scope of support". They kept claiming the recipient had not clicked on the link, but I was the recipient and had not received any email with a link to click. So I said if you can't resolve this, find someone who can, escalate it, that is what support is for. Support that says the issue is not for them - WTF?

Had to cancel it and redo. Luckily it was two patient, rational domainers dealing with it, but this simple push took up maybe 90 minutes of time and caused aggravation. No thanks.
That is not a good answer from our support team. They can escalate it. We can see where the Change is stuck and figure it out. If it is still stuck please pm me the info and I will look into it for you.

•••
@Joe Styler, you are a life saver for most of us at GD!!

•••
If I were the management, I'd say to my developers that there are just too many complaints with the current setup of how cookies are handled, error pages etc. and they have to monitor each error on their end (they should be getting logs of it) and solve..

I suspect the management IS the problem at GD. Always trying to do stuff as cheap as possible to push up the quarterly profits, not spending on staff, or routine testing before launching. Refusing to spend even five minutes to do easy fixes at Afternic, which they own.

It certainly is possible to do the job right, if you are willing to hire decent staff, pay good wages, give clear instructions, give supervision, and observe good practices such as testing.

Last edited:
•••
It's really a mystery but I received the solution today in an email from GD support.

=====
If you would like to list the domain in the Afternic system through the GoDaddy beta version please try to coplete the listings directly at Afternic.com. As the GoDaddy beta version is new it sometimes fails to create the listings.

If you would like to you can alternatively list the domain in GoDaddy only through auctions.godaddy.com -> List a Domain.
=====
Isn't it simple? BTW, it's still Godaddy beta!

How can a live site of a multi-billion company, or any company, be called beta? Unbelievable.

•••
@Joe Styler Here is a new bug:

I click to sort by expiration date once, it shows the list starting from the earliest expiry, I click once and it is supposed to do the reverse, as always, but the rolling wheel appears and stays like that forever, never loading. Simply crazy!!!

And very inconvenient that I cannot sort by the listing status. Have to look through 3000 names to find the names that has not been listed :(((

Another thing that broke with the new interface and has not been fixed: before I could just choose forwarding and click to update nameservers, if the are not gd ones. Now, it will give an error. You have to do an extra step of first changing nameservers to gd and then going for forwarding after waiting few minutes.

And one more afternic related issue:

Why does Afternic remove GD names just 3-4 days past expiration? The name still works, forwards etc. I am still the owner, just contemplating if I should renew and then, bam, email from Afternic that the name is removed. And adding it back can take few months!!! I mean, it is your company! Can't your DBs talk and really remove the name when account change has happened?

•••
If they gave us privacy (which, for those of you that may not know costs them nothing)
Being the largest registrar they make tons of money with private registration.
But for those with Discount club, they could make an exception and give us free privacy.
@Joe Styler you guys really could.

•••
The various dates people are referring to are for different reasons and are correct. But different things happen on the dates, like, you get charged more to renew, or the DNS is locked and changed to alert the domain owner that he domain expired, etc.

Bottom line is the emails all say if you don't renew your domain you will lose it after it expires. All the other things we put out there are various other things that happen post expiration.

As far as the time frame, well that varies by tld but for .com, and most other domains, you have up to 30 days to renew it. You can renew it without additional cost up to day 19 post expiration.

You can transfer it out until day 30, follow the link I posted above for the help article on how to do this.

•••
Joe - wouldn't it make sense to renew up to day 30 without $80 fee to retain customers? Rather than push your customers to another registrar, where they can pay $8 - $10 for the transfer?
I forget the exact number because it's been a while but it is something like an extremely small number of people who renew later than 7 days after expiration, and it tapers down from there as well even smaller. Most people who want to keep their domain renew before there is any redemption fee added.

•••
New bug with transfers. Normally you can complete a transfer out in under 15 minutes by following these GD instructions https://uk.godaddy.com/help/accept-or-decline-a-transfer-away-from-godaddy-6040
But now after doing that it just says "Your transfer is pending." Then next day you get an email to the registrant email address saying transfer will take place in five days, if you want to speed it up please reply to this email. Bizarre, not working as usual or as described in GD's instructions.
Some domains that are flagged as high risk are pulled manually to be checked. We have a pretty robust system in place to stop theft. Something on this transfer must have triggered that. You can reply and they will release it right away.
I'll look into the chat being down, where were trying to access it from?

•••
I know Godaddy monitors this thread, so I hope they listen up and hear that instead of people attempting to take pushes at Godaddy, they are just moving the names out via auth code, it is easier, and faster.

I really hope they fix their issues within their platform, it's a shame with all their resources they cannot get past these bugs.

Another thing I would hope Godaddy to work on is for people to have an account balance, or add funds to a balance, they used to have that, like pretty much any other register has one.

Last edited:
•••
Generally speaking, the latest control panel upgrade was a disaster. It is live for some time already, and the issues are still appearing, and often. Moreover, from endusers point of view the new platform is far from optimal - starting from the roots. There is no practical need to use so many java, or to have infinite scrolling and the like. As a domainer, I've seen many dozens of different control panels, so it is not hard to compare. It is obvious that the developers did not really fix some things like mixed capitalization of different domains - domain1.com vs DOMAIN2.com, they are both in db and it is visible if one scrolls too fast. The domain capitalization is "normalized" on users end by the browser and java - what is it, a joke? What is GoDaddy thinking about? I mean in general, not in aspects of each particular bug... ? Shortly, was the lastest upgrade an improvement? No, it was a downgrade. Imho.

Maybe its time for GoDaddy management to check the following -

https://www.bobparsons.com/my-16-rules

"The moment you stop improving your organization, it starts to die. Make it your goal to be better each and every day, in some small way. Remember the Japanese concept of Kaizen. Small daily improvements eventually result in huge advantages."

(quote end)

Even though Bob Parsons (GD founder) is no more with GD, the above quote is something the current management should think about, and seriously...

@Joe Styler

Last edited:
•••

Thank you! It is great to see progress!

Few things that haven't changed:

1. folders are still messed up. My 4L.com folder has bunch of other names there and I cannot delete them from there. Meaning, I reenter the folder and they are there.

2. If I search and select names to perform bulk action, it just does that on the selected one from the last screen, although it clearly shows 12 names selected, for example.

3. Selecting and choosing forwarding for multiple names doesn't work, if nameservers are not GD ones (before, it could do both steps in one go, basically saying that we will change the nameservers). So now I change the nameservers first. Extra step.

4. Even after that, setting forwarding the first time and clicking submit doesn't do anything. So you need to close the pop-up, reopen repeat the same exactly and then it works.

5. Refreshing loses all selections. And you have to refresh somethimes, because that loading circle can go for 10 minutes without proceeding. And then all the work lost. I was going through 3600+ names, choosing to change forwarding for some names. I had found 90 and selected them going through 5 pages, on page 6 it got suddenly stuck. Waited out 10 minutes, still rolling. Then refreshed and ... nothing selected. Repeat again. Very annoying.

6. This wasn't in the old one too, but why not to add ability to filter by the length of the names? Then I won't need folders for it or go through inventory to check again if I added more that satisfy that parameter. Why we still cannot sort by forwarded URL, by nameservers? It should literally take 1 hour for someone to implement it and make possible.

I have more than doubled my portfolio with you in last 1-1.5 years, but if I am to continue to grow with you and go into tens of thousands of names, I need proper functionality. I am already wasting too much time with this simple things with 3600+ names.

•••
What should regular customers (who are not domainers) do is still the question...

Just enjoy the mud bath, it's good for you, people pay good money to go to thermal baths and sit in hot mud. Then again, not sure Godaddy's big ball of mud is so hot, but it sure is sticky...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_ball_of_mud

In computer programs
The term was popularized in Brian Foote and Joseph Yoder's 1997 paper of the same name, which defines the term:

A Big Ball of Mud is a haphazardly structured, sprawling, sloppy, duct-tape-and-baling-wire, spaghetti-code jungle. These systems show unmistakable signs of unregulated growth, and repeated, expedient repair. Information is shared promiscuously among distant elements of the system, often to the point where nearly all the important information becomes global or duplicated.

The overall structure of the system may never have been well defined.

If it was, it may have eroded beyond recognition. Programmers with a shred of architectural sensibility shun these quagmires. Only those who are unconcerned about architecture, and, perhaps, are comfortable with the inertia of the day-to-day chore of patching the holes in these failing dikes, are content to work on such systems.

— Brian Foote and Joseph Yoder, Big Ball of Mud. Fourth Conference on Patterns Languages of Programs (PLoP '97/EuroPLoP '97) Monticello, Illinois, September 1997

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back