NameSilo

What is wrong with Godaddy and Afternic and will any problem ever get fixed?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Recons.Com

Top Member
Impact
I am getting genuinely annoyed after years of trying to work with GD/AN on solutions.

But it starts affecting me even more now that the bugs just stack up (as old ones never go away) and my portfolio has grown to over 35000+ with them.

The Singapore issue went away for couple of weeks (that is when it kept deciding I am in Singapore and showing me everything in their currency and with extra tax) only to re-surface and switch me literally every hour on some days.

The valuation column got messed up for newly added names and got fixed after I pushed for it only to get wiped out again since May 21 and no action since then.

On Afternic, the visit stats have gone nuts. The numbers show in default view of portfolio, but if you resort them, they "disappear" until next session. I won't even mention that a simple function of sorting by visits is still too complex of a task for AN to add.

Adding to AN from GD direct is somehow not good enough to verify ownership which is messed up. So I first add the personalized NS they provide for verification, but that is not also enough for some names. What the heck?

And now they have new problem: the already approved names came back into the "under review" queue for no obvious reason. I had around 30 come there over the weekend and it just grew to 56 in past hour. One thing is dealing with the whole mess listing, another is dealing with it again and again. That becomes unmanageable.

I have spent hours with GD/AN support detailing all these and even suggesting solutions, diagnostics etc. and it always reverts to square one, no, scratch that, scratch minus 1, as it is always in some worse form. E.g. the latest names I added to AN via GD show PENDING for all of those after many hours. Before they "fixed" it, that would affect few.

I wonder if this is the tech team being unqualified to solve simple problems like synching across different DBs or someone inside is sabotaging it on purpose, because I cannot find any other explanation. They could have retained Dan's tech team and charged with this tasks and by now everything would be working smooth. Yet they choose to stick with the existing and perpetuating the problem.

Anyway, I will give it another month or two and if the problems are not solved fundamentally, I am ready to move out my 35000+ names to another registrar. I can't afford to waste so much time.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have the same problems with domains going "under review". I get three listed under review, I contact support, they approve them, and then suddenly three or four more come under review.

It's a giant waste of time to try to contact their support to get them to approve + opt in to Fast Transfer every time I need something addressed.

Other than that, I think it's a great service and love their partner network.

Last edited:
•••
That's a lot of domains at an expensive registrar! You could be saving a lot of money elsewhere.

On topic, their investor app is borderline unusable.

•••
I wonder if this is the tech team being unqualified to solve simple problems.

This is what it feels like most of the time.

Barely a week goes by without new bugs popping up or simple things like the new dashboard popup still not being fixed.

The site was unusable on mobile for a week because of a responsive display issue that never should have made it to production. Hiding the lander column didn’t work for some time, another simple problem that should have been spotted in test.

These are the most basic of front end features.

•••
me and others wrote about the review issue 5 or more yrs ago. I can only imagine how many calls and emails they gotabout this..yet here we are. nothing done.... I switched to phone only after yrs of bulky desktops and laptops... and I'd never go back... the world in your hand or pocket it really doesnt get any better.. that being said gd and afternic ui are crap on fone but not much better on laptop etc...

I use bodis for landers so I'm not stuck not knowing who makes offer ..unable to properly negotiate or just tell buyer ok I accept your first offer .. when trying to go up fails. I dont even use bodis for park no more just go direct to lander.. only have few confirmed park rev names that still make some montly hamburger money like 40 to 50usd total per month... that's a good 20 burgers at mcdo... well more power to me heh

so yea I use dan otherwise for marketing names... they have amazing ui... if u put bins there it goes across a network too... smaller than afternic but goes to gd markets..afternic and many more... I dont think u mentioned dan but definitely try them.. perfect closing of sales.. perfect payouts... perfect ui... their lenders have many issues so I definitely suggest bodis lander to all... total freedom of negotiation and communicating with buyer. just make sure u click that go direct to lander box... no park ads. enjoy.

•••
I have experienced the same continuous problems. I no longer use Godaddy as a registrar, or Afternic as a sales platform. You have to be a fool to house your names at Godaddy and subject yourself to the never ending glitches/errors. I have moved all my names to Dynadot and Sedo (for sales). I receive the same percentage of sales via Sedo Landers as I received with Afternic Landers. I have 6300 names.

I thought Paul Nicks was getting involved with investors (and investor problems). has anyone heard from him?

•••
sedo has what 15%? with my bodis lander I get full communaction with buyer no rules like now its buyer turn to make offer etc... plus once we find price I add lead on dan at 5percent... that's way better than 15 or 20 or 25. still sedo better choice than gd and afternic...

•••
I have experienced the same continuous problems. I no longer use Godaddy as a registrar, or Afternic as a sales platform. You have to be a fool to house your names at Godaddy and subject yourself to the never ending glitches/errors. I have moved all my names to Dynadot and Sedo (for sales). I receive the same percentage of sales via Sedo Landers as I received with Afternic Landers. I have 6300 names.

I thought Paul Nicks was getting involved with investors (and investor problems). has anyone heard from him?
Yeah I've never chosen to hold names at GD. The prices are insane. I mean I know this is obvious math but for every dollar more the renewals are at GD compared to say Dynadot you'd be losing $6300 a year and $35k a year for the OP and I'm pretty sure GD are several dollars a year more expensive if not nearly double which is mind boggling! And for a sub par experience apparently!

Last edited:
•••
I am getting genuinely annoyed after years of trying to work with GD/AN on solutions.

But it starts affecting me even more now that the bugs just stack up (as old ones never go away) and my portfolio has grown to over 35000+ with them.

The Singapore issue went away for couple of weeks (that is when it kept deciding I am in Singapore and showing me everything in their currency and with extra tax) only to re-surface and switch me literally every hour on some days.

The valuation column got messed up for newly added names and got fixed after I pushed for it only to get wiped out again since May 21 and no action since then.

On Afternic, the visit stats have gone nuts. The numbers show in default view of portfolio, but if you resort them, they "disappear" until next session. I won't even mention that a simple function of sorting by visits is still too complex of a task for AN to add.

Adding to AN from GD direct is somehow not good enough to verify ownership which is messed up. So I first add the personalized NS they provide for verification, but that is not also enough for some names. What the heck?

And now they have new problem: the already approved names came back into the "under review" queue for no obvious reason. I had around 30 come there over the weekend and it just grew to 56 in past hour. One thing is dealing with the whole mess listing, another is dealing with it again and again. That becomes unmanageable.

I have spent hours with GD/AN support detailing all these and even suggesting solutions, diagnostics etc. and it always reverts to square one, no, scratch that, scratch minus 1, as it is always in some worse form. E.g. the latest names I added to AN via GD show PENDING for all of those after many hours. Before they "fixed" it, that would affect few.

I wonder if this is the tech team being unqualified to solve simple problems like synching across different DBs or someone inside is sabotaging it on purpose, because I cannot find any other explanation. They could have retained Dan's tech team and charged with this tasks and by now everything would be working smooth. Yet they choose to stick with the existing and perpetuating the problem.

Anyway, I will give it another month or two and if the problems are not solved fundamentally, I am ready to move out my 35000+ names to another registrar. I can't afford to waste so much time.
Hi @Recons.Com
Firstly, thank you for sharing your views and feedback. As always, we fully process and discuss the feedback within our teams to understand the experience, and your Premier Services rep has followed up with you on a few of these points.

From running a check on your domain names, our teams found no names pending review, but please reach out to your Premier Services rep if this does occur again. List for Sale through GoDaddy does trigger ownership verification, so we expect no reason for NS3 verification, too. If this isn't what you're seeing, again, please reach out to myself or your Premier Services rep, and we will ensure this is addressed.

•••
@GoDaddy Are there any plans to make the Investor App work?

•••
Trying to pay for an auction win. Payments via app don't work because that would be too easy. Clicking "Pay Now" in the Won section loads a blank page and shows an error adding to basket prompt sooooo....

Go to "help" and ofcourse the chat box fails to load. Tried payment and chat on multiple devices, browsers and mobile and nothing.

Great

•••
Well I'm quick to complain but I'm also quick to praise....

When I did finally get to talk to someone from customer services they were very good and resolved my issue faultlessly.

•••
Hi @Recons.Com
Firstly, thank you for sharing your views and feedback. As always, we fully process and discuss the feedback within our teams to understand the experience, and your Premier Services rep has followed up with you on a few of these points.

From running a check on your domain names, our teams found no names pending review, but please reach out to your Premier Services rep if this does occur again. List for Sale through GoDaddy does trigger ownership verification, so we expect no reason for NS3 verification, too. If this isn't what you're seeing, again, please reach out to myself or your Premier Services rep, and we will ensure this is addressed.

Thanks, James. I normally try to sort things via the support, but sometimes feel like they are hitting a glass ceiling where they are trying, but nothing is moving.

To update, I did add another round of 100+ names and the prices reflected in few minutes so that is fine for now. 2 went under review for some weirdest logic. The names are Comet/Cube and Ceramic/And/Glass... You can't get more generic than that, they have the unique NS done beforehand and they have been added from GD.

The names that came back to "under review" section out of blue, because their whois sync went out of whack with AN system, were manually pushed, but that caused another problem: they were labeled as "Registrar not eligible", which is ironic, since we are talking GD names... My rep had to do another manual one by one magic, haven't checked yet on results...

The stats disappearing when changing any sorting in Afternic portfolio is still an issue... Please help fixing and also make the view column sortable.

I have now new problem: 2 sold names that are transferring out to dan for LTO are stuck. I have already approved the transfer multiple times. The page refreshes and they are still there. This is not good.

PS despite of the rant, I do really appreciate the responsiveness of all GD and AN employees I have come in personal contact with, including Alex, Brian, Chris, Joe, Nick, you, James. It is a weird thing that people are very helpful, but the system is somehow very cumbersome, buggy and unfriendly. Can't explain how that works :)

•••
Update:

- Names keep randomly hitting the "on review" section with no apparent reason. Got 3 new ones there. So the problem isn't fixed.

- Simple issue like resorting is messing up the visit stats and showing all of them as zero is not still fixed.

- the valuation missing for newly added names was promised to be fixed on June 10. As you probably guessed, nothing has changed.

- Singapore thing is still a thing

- On top of all that, since I have opened this thread, my sales at Afternic has gone to ... zero. At this point, I am not claiming anything or inferring anything, except that this is a highly improbable situation. For 3 months prior, I was averaging 1 sale a day and the probability of having 1 or more sales in any given day is around 80%. Not to have a sale for so many days has probability of under 0.001%, so has to be a perfect shit storm.

Regardless, I am completely fed up and if I don't start seeing solutions this week (and sales back to normal), I will start moving completely away from GD and AN. My probable destination so far is Spaceship + Sedo MLS combo.

Last edited:
•••
Update:

- Names keep randomly hitting the "on review" section with no apparent reason. Got 3 new ones there. So the problem isn't fixed.

- Simple issue like resorting is messing up the visit stats and showing all of them as zero is not still fixed.

- the valuation missing for newly added names was promised to be fixed on June 10. As you probably guessed, nothing has changed.

- Singapore thing is still a thing

- On top of all that, since I have opened this thread, my sales at Afternic has gone to ... zero. At this point, I am not claiming anything or inferring anything, except that this is a highly improbable situation. For 3 months prior, I was averaging 1 sale a day and the probability of having 1 or more sales in any given day is around 80%. Not to have a sale for so many days has probability of under 0.001%, so has to be a perfect shit storm.

Regardless, I am completely fed up and if I don't start seeing solutions this week (and sales back to normal), I will start moving completely away from GD and AN. My probable destination so far is Spaceship + Sedo MLS combo.
Respect to you for even trying that many names on the forever buggy Afternic/GD platform..... Good luck!

•••
Respect to you for even trying that many names on the forever buggy Afternic/GD platform..... Good luck!

I was ok with the bugginess as long as the work I had to do was one time.

Things like names hitting "under review" again for no reason are making it bad for me. On top of that, the tools you rely on stop working and no one is willing to fix it. They can't get simple DB syncing between GD and AN for over a year now. And from time to time GD bug or experimentation results in AN sales drying up and then if you need to change your lander NS you see another ugly side of GD interface... You can't make changes to more than 500 names at a time. If you make a mistake and think the 1000 option is there and choose it you'll get the dreaded eternal loading circle. Why do you have the option there if you going to time out anything over 500 and won't even bother to show error message?

And with 35500+ names now I get another irritating interface issue: I cannot go to a specific page. So if I am making 500 at a time changes and in the middle of it (i.e. page 32 or so) GD bugged out, I need to reload and then navigate by going to the bottom of the page, clicking next, waiting, going to the bottom of page, clicking next, waiting... And that for 32 times... I.e. just to return to where I was I need to spend around 10 minutes clicking and waiting and navigating...

•••

I have been a GD customer for well over two decades.. The entire platform, over those 20+ years, has been filled with bugs, spotty customer service and the unimaginable happening with the tech.... For whatever reason, they just do NOT want to make things easy...lol... Most recently, when GD took over DAN, the monthly payments due to me, after years of perfection, became late, after having to change pay out settings.... Simply, GoDaddy always seems to find a way to complicate the simple.... one day they may get it right....hoping..after 20+ years, I continue to hope..lol

•••
I will add, after hesitation....This is NOT baseless. You have merit...... I was GD VIP customer with an account executive. He was watching my "domaining" buys, sells and my comments on the forums/blogs. He was always complimentary and I considered him a friend and supporter....that is until I got involved in the old "Epik" discussions..(yea, my mistake. Lesson learned..lol).... Suddenly he went dark. Ghosted me... then problems started happening on my account, the games started.. There were problems everywhere, with only the standard customer service available, that was always baffled... Then his name disappeared from my account and I had no VIP status... The games they (rogue employees) played were awful and I am still dealing with the fall out... smh

•••
Have been getting either empty page instead of payment confirmation or 403 error for last few days. The payment does go through per emails received. Not sure if this could be related with the dead sales.

Is anyone else experiencing this? (apparently, it also says the page is in Danish. Thanks God, not in Singaporean Chinese).

godaddy-checkout-error.png

•••
Have been getting either empty page instead of payment confirmation or 403 error for last few days. The payment does go through per emails received. Not sure if this could be related with the dead sales.

Is anyone else experiencing this? (apparently, it also says the page is in Danish. Thanks God, not in Singaporean Chinese).

Show attachment 257972

I do experienced it today, when buying closeout domain the page went to 403 error but i think the order went through and my card charged.

As for the sales, did your sales back ? I experienced the same sales problem but i use DAN, now i moved 50% domains to SEDO and will move remaining also.

Domains moved to SEDO started to get inquiry and sales.

I don't bother about bugs much compare to sales going to zero. As long as sales keep coming, i can work with a buggy system.

Last edited:
•••
Trying to pay for an auction win. Payments via app don't work because that would be too easy. Clicking "Pay Now" in the Won section loads a blank page and shows an error adding to basket prompt sooooo....

Go to "help" and ofcourse the chat box fails to load. Tried payment and chat on multiple devices, browsers and mobile and nothing.

Great
Well after the hardships of trying to give GD my money I didn't get the name anyway. Apparently the domain was renewed by the original registrant which I thought they had tried to do away with. Not sure how they (or anyone else) can auction off something and take payment for it when it can be renewed.

Obviously there was zero communication from GD to let me know any of this (took me to ask them what was happening)..

•••
Well after the hardships of trying to give GD my money I didn't get the name anyway. Apparently the domain was renewed by the original registrant which I thought they had tried to do away with. Not sure how they (or anyone else) can auction off something and take payment for it when it can be renewed.

Obviously there was zero communication from GD to let me know any of this (took me to ask them what was happening)..

Besides the fact that the name got renewed and that happens sometime (less often than it used to be before as they have reduced the time a customer can renew, but some names come from partners), the multi-billion company cannot resolve payment cart issues for many days now.

@GoDaddy are you guys on it, or it is one of those "we checked and everything seems fine. Check with your provider or clear your cache" type of situation for you?

To update the "bug resolution progress", I got another 47 names added to "under review" section in one day. Some of them are perfectly fine previously approved names, some are ones that I had deleted completely, which shows that this newer part of the older issue is related to Dan and listings via there messing up the whole system.

Plus, in line with the principle of "never be satisfied with the current level", a new issue appeared today: my Afternic dashboard's "buy now price missing" went from "0" to ... "1501". When clicked, it shows ... four domains. And those were the ones that I had long deleted as either sold or not-renewed. Go figure. But I love the spirit of never being satisfied and adding new "features" to the bug list.

Last edited:
•••
Besides the fact that the name got renewed and that happens sometime (less often than it used to be before as they have reduced the time a customer can renew, but some names come from partners), the multi-billion company cannot resolve payment cart issues for many days now.

@GoDaddy are you guys on it, or it is one of those "we checked and everything seems fine. Check with your provider or clear your cache" type of situation for you?

To update the "bug resolution progress", I got another 47 names added to "under review" section in one day. Some of them are perfectly fine previously approved names, some are ones that I had deleted completely, which shows that this newer part of the older issue is related to Dan and listings via there messing up the whole system.

Plus, in line with the principle of "never be satisfied with the current level", a new issue appeared today: my Afternic dashboard's "buy now price missing" went from "0" to ... "1501". When clicked, it shows ... four domains. And those were the ones that I had long deleted as either sold or not-renewed. Go figure. But I love the spirit of never being satisfied and adding new "features" to the bug list.

Your sales returned or still no sales?

•••
Your sales returned or still no sales?

Still no sales. Typical for me over 12 day period is 9-15. The probability of that happening for the folio of my size and sales track record without system level issue is now at <0.0005%

•••
Still no sales. Typical for me over 12 day period is 9-15. The probability of that happening for the folio of my size and sales track record without system level issue is now at <0.0005%
Is that no enquiries or offers either?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back