Domain Empire

Examiner.com gets renewed will GoDaddy ever fix their auctions?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
Well it looks like Examiner.com got renewed, the auction was over $131,000 and earlier today the name got renewed. While typing in Examiner.com I get a security warning. Whois updated Registrant Name: Domain Manager Registrant Organization: Axs Digital Media Group, LLC Registrant Address: Co, US Creation Date: September 13, 1994 Update Date: October 30, 2019 […]

Continue Reading

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Cool, so I have 4 days beyond expiry to track down owners and make offers. This is fantastic news!

Little correction.

Auction start date is approximately 24th day..

You may have 6 days approximately after auction start to look for owner.

Thanks

•••
Vomit.com expired on October 6th.

Its confusing sometimes. 24th to 26th day. Hard to understand sometimes.

Thanks

Yeah you are right, they can't even get that right. Because Tik.net expired 9/26 started 10/21 others work out to 24 days and others 26.

•••
But did he explain what the extenuating circumstances are? I'm sure they wouldn't apply to me :(

Yes Stub

Now Paul replied

Cant enumerate all possible issues that could come up (death or other hardships as an example). I'm not a fan of zero-tolerance policies; there should always be room for nuance.

To which I replied

Jane Both's daughter has a different story on your policies https://www.thedomains.com/2018/01/22/lady-responsible-blockchain-names-idea-godaddy/#comment-231424 She roasted GoDaddy

•••
@TERADOMAIN Nice explanation, thank you. To add to what you said, "if a name passed 30 days grace period then it can't be renewed", that is only if a bid is placed. If a bid is not placed in the 30 days and the domain moves into the closeouts, you can still renew the domain by paying the redemption fee (which is ~$80) or you could simply check out from the Closeouts itself and pay $12+ Renewal.

The key would be, as far as I could see is, if the domain transitions out of our control panel, then the domain is gone for ever. I have had cases where the domain was more than 30 days, and it stays in the control panel with the status of "expired but recoverable" because of no bids placed. I am not sure if you could transfer out, but if domain is in our control panel, I would assume that you could transfer out as well.
Godaddy's own expired name auction start on 24th day after expiration. Its 10 days auction. So if name passed 30 days grace period then it can't be renewed.

For example Vomit.com is new expired name from Godaddy itself.

It was expired on 6th October 2019.

Auction start date is 30th October 2019.

Now it has 9 days 22 hours left.

Name can still be renewed upto November 5th approximately. So if name pass that time frame of 30 days after expiration then it can't be renewed.

I hope this info it little helpful to you as well as all other friends on NP.

Thanks

•••
Did someone from GD respond about JP's daughter's allegations that they went through the whole process as required and still were denied the access to the account? And why she just did not give them password to the account and the phone associated with the account. That is all you need for true access, right?

No I let Paul Nicks know about it and gave him the link.

•••
As far as Examiner.com Paul said it was properly renewed, thanks to the posts about the old admin domain being registered and everything else, GoDaddy had several people watching the auction. So they believe the rightful past registrant AXS Digital Media Group renewed it properly.

•••
The domain in question has mx (mail exchanger) records. There are 2 mailservers ready to accept emails for this domain. Both are physically located in Turkey btw:

https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=mx:claritydg.com&run=toolpage

https://bgp.he.net/AS201928

So, it can receive email. Whether it has domains@ mailbox or not is another issue. One may add such a mailbox - receive just one email - and delete the mailbox. Just saying. There is no 100% evidence of any bad faith in connection with claritydg registration.

Paul said they knew about that potential, several people at GoDaddy were focused on Examiner.com

•••
I think only Paul can clarify..Beyond the warning page some "Cannabis" blooming...

From Crunch
Company Apex trading :
Categories Cannabis, Software, Wholesale Founded Date Jan 1, 2018 Founders John Manlove, Rob Fess, Willy Wheeler
Parent website : Apextrading(dot)com
Seed investment 1.7 mn

Here is another thing the Examiner.com AXS Digital Media Group is a philip anschutz company, I just called the number for AXS You have reached a non working number at the anschutz corporation.

So now let's add in, that philip anschutz is vehemently against marijuana he owns Coachella and banned pot last year at Coachella, he spends money lobbying against it in Colorado, I cannot believe he would be allowing the name to be used for that.

Now of course some transfers might have happened and behind closed doors Examiner.com changed hands.

•••
•••
Well its not always about the money part. Think as a bidder when you are bidding at a domain for more than $5000, you are keeping your eyes on the auction, you have at the back of your mind that much money must be kept away for this particular auction. In the meantime, you might not bid at other good domains while you are waiting for this first auction. So if the seller renews, your other domains, which you might have won, are lost too. Thats why I mentioned, "efforts" apart from the financial part.

You make some good points, I think if we really come down to it, GoDaddy is basically saying without saying (because they can't for pr purposes) We know you are going to show up daily for our inventory no matter how much all you domain investors complain. We run this place and it's our way or the highway. I remember years ago talking to someone at Verisign about .tv and the complaints of .tv investors, the person said, "Understood Raymond, please don't take this personally but we don't care what domain investors think." Now that was 12 years ago but I believe a lot of those sentiments exist at the big shops.

•••
It was all Examiner.com shill bidding their own domain to taste the water.Now they will sell it offline to some investor.We will keep a watch ..

•••
They just make their own rules up as they go along, happened to me a couple of weeks ago.

I won Guernsey.org at Godaddy expired auction on 14th October, made payment same day and then on the 23rd (day before I'm due to take ownership) they refund me the money. When I called support they told me previous owner had reclaimed the name.....

•••
So someone who controls examiner.com died? Otherwise there aren’t extenuating circumstances and allowing a renewal is bad business.

No Keith, the domain was not expired past 30 days, any name not 30 days expired can be renewed. The auction starts day 26

•••
•••
Oh sure, I knew guys who had teams a decade ago, GoDaddy will still ban if they find out and reading the forum might not be a help because they will be looking out for people.
If a domain can be renewed at any point, it’s not the property of godaddy. I’d challenge their system in court any day if they tried to manipulate my account.

•••
If a domain can be renewed at any point, it’s not the property of godaddy. I’d challenge their system in court any day if they tried to manipulate my account.

It would be interesting to challenge I think someone could win but have not looked at it completely. Would the juice be worth squeeze if it wasn't a six figure domain?

I remember when DU went after you in the L7 thread, did you get your account back?

https://www.namepros.com/threads/l7-com-sells-for-60k.927190/page-3#post-5382214

•••
It would be interesting to challenge I think someone could win but have not looked at it completely. Would the juice be worth squeeze if it wasn't a six figure domain?

I remember when DU went after you in the L7 thread, did you get your account back?

https://www.namepros.com/threads/l7-com-sells-for-60k.927190/page-3#post-5382214
Yes, my auction standings are good. They were 100% wrong in that case btw. They accused me of circumventing an auction that I did not bid in. Go figure...

•••
Godaddy steals domains, this domain included! I'm glad to see the original owners removed their property from the thieving hands of Godaddy.

This reply should be posted everywhere in this forum.

Jane Both's daughter has a different story on your policies

I am Jane Pantalone’s daughter. The loss of my Mother was a huge loss to the world. She helped so many people throughout her life, and as stated, was very ahead of her time. The smartest woman I’ll ever know. I’m so very lucky to call her Mom.

Things are not as they seem.. and it’s time I got this off my chest and reveal the truth of how GoDaddy ‘handled’ this unfortunate situation.

She did, in fact, have a plan in place in the event of her death. Her executor, the Estate Administrator, (another family member, not my brother) contacted GoDaddy with the necessary info that she left him. He completed the steps and procedures, and supplied all documents that were required and requested by GoDaddy to gain access and transfer ownership.

GoDaddy denied him access.

DAYS later, they auctioned off her domains and made over $150,000.

GoDaddy rep, Paul Nicks (VP & GM), then proceeded to contact my brother (via NamePros) informing him that they’d be making a $16,000 donation to the NYPD in her honor (an effort close to her heart, as she set up a 9/11 relief fund for the disaster victims and raised over $1 million in donations and provisions).

If that wasn’t a blatant attempt at pacification for their wrong doing, I do not know what is.
In the thread on NamePros (https://www.namepros.com/threads/so...op-and-theyre-selling-like-hot-cakes.1060298/), Paul claims to have not known of my mother’s death (could be true for him personally, but not GoDaddy) and that they unsuccessfully attempted reaching out to us. This is FALSE. Her executor was in contact with and followed GoDaddy’s procedures to transfer the account. He was DENIED access after completing all requirements.

I’m not upset at the potential loss of any money. My Mom isn’t here to enjoy it herself so it doesn’t matter.
What upsets and disgusts, me is that my mother worked so hard, came SO far, was so intelligent, and GoDaddy blatantly, greedily, and unlawfully reaped the rewards of her hard work.

I’ve waited a long time to write this, and no one may even care, but I had to get it off my chest.

Thank you.

•••
•••
•••
It was mentioned in related thread that the .com domain of alleged admin email was re-registered a few days ago (FREE --> registered). For the sake of completeness, it would be interesting to find out was the domain renewed by real previous owner, or by somebody else who might gain access to GD account (lets say there was no 2FA.... he might reset the password by email... request renewal @ support and be successful... and use some prepaid CC or giftcard which works with any name and billing address). In other words, somebody else may have used an opportunity to renew the domain, and somebody else may now have access to it - without formal registrant transfer

•••
email address domains@claritydg(dot)com does not resolve
The domain in question has mx (mail exchanger) records. There are 2 mailservers ready to accept emails for this domain. Both are physically located in Turkey btw:

https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=mx:claritydg.com&run=toolpage

https://bgp.he.net/AS201928

So, it can receive email. Whether it has domains@ mailbox or not is another issue. One may add such a mailbox - receive just one email - and delete the mailbox. Just saying. There is no 100% evidence of any bad faith in connection with claritydg registration.

•••
@equity78 Examiner.com is opening a webpage Apextrading Wholesale cannabis!! ...Do you still think there is no mischief here ?

•••
@equity78 Examiner.com is opening a webpage Apextrading Wholesale cannabis!! ...Do you still think there is no mischief here ?

I never said there was or their wasn't, I said I pointed out to Paul, this is what you found and I found and are you guys watching this, when I put the name in my Firefox browser I got a security warning.

•••
The Examiner story seems to keep getting stranger!

More generally, I don't understand why auctions start before it is too late to renew. It just wastes people time, leads to confusion, which makes the domain industry look bad. I know I am not alone in saying this, but I have never understood why they don't simply wait a few more days so in all cases it is too late to renew. What do they lose by waiting to auction?

Bob

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back