IT.COM

discuss CASE STUDY : mana.org Sold $167,000 at GoDaddy.- I've Noticed Something !!! (Attached Supporting Documents- Screenshots)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Yoga Trillion

Tldkart.comEstablished Member
Impact
I've connected multiple dots, for example: [Domain expired - Backordered - Internal conflicts - BANK Involvement - Account closed - Money problems - Politics and many more.]

Why do you think any domainer would go after such an expensive domain for $167,000?

Here, that's not the point, and I would rather not dwell on it. The main point is completely different. However, I will answer this question and share my opinion with some supporting documents at the very end of this discussion.

Okay, let's cover the main point!

Before I start, let me give you some background: how and why?

A few days ago (I think August 18 or 19), I was searching/studying some expired domain names. Everything was going well, and I visited multiple websites, including GoDaddy, through a website called [expired.net]. I just wanted to see what was going on there or everywhere. I noticed mana.org was at the top with (I guess multiple bidders and an amount of $50k++), and I wasn't shocked since it's normal for people who are in the SEO game to buy expired domains. They don't blindly bid; instead, they know the magic of expired domains, their budget, limits, and how to recover their investment by bringing in solid traffic through guest posting or selling backlinks on their blogs. They don't care whether the domain name is brandable or not. They know what they are doing and why. They also know how to recover their money/investment with solid strategies.

But again, that's not the point.

Today, as usual, I was just randomly browsing NamePros' news section and found an article created by @equity78 about mana.org being sold for $167,000. I also visited his website and read the complete article there, and then I returned to NamePros to read other comments on that post.

I still wasn't in shock and found some interesting logic in the comment sections. I also wanted to share my opinion about expired domains and backorders with some statistics on that post, as I mentioned earlier, which was created by @equity78. Since I wasn't aware of MANA, I checked what it was and found "Midwives Alliance of North America," founded in April 1982 and having a solid internet presence for two decades.

One thing triggered in my mind: This is a solid organization with a solid internet presence. Something must have happened to this organization. No one leaves such a solid internet presence without a reason.

I also noted that this website (mana.org) is an organization, and earlier (.ORG) was only for non-profitable organizations. This two-decade-old (mana.org) organization was founded in 1982 and was doing well over the internet with many .gov backlinks.

That's where my mind said, "Something must have happened. Let's find out!"

===========================================================================================

I Think "This Domain Name Is Not Bought by Any Domainer." Why? How? Any Logic?

Yes!

I think this domain was bought by themselves (mana.org). I am explaining now step by step with supporting documents.

Now, two questions may arise in your mind.

First,
expired domain auctions are only open to those who already backordered it.

And second, why would mana.org backorder their own domain? They could have renewed it. Because, as per the domain life cycle, if its current owner does not renew it by its expiration date, the domain name then undergoes a forty-day grace period + redemption period, totaling approximately 70 days. Still, the current owner could renew their registration with more expensive renewal fees or any penalties.

Yes, you are absolutely right!

And my answer is very simple. Let me ask you one more question. If you were the owner of a 20+ year-old (mana.org) and went through bad situations or your bank closed your account or your website was shut down because of someone's mistake or any other reason, what steps/actions would you have taken to get it back?

See, no one lets it go very easily; it takes time and effort to build a reputation. We try every possible option to get our property back, using our contacts, requesting others, presenting our point and supporting documents as proof. One does whatever it takes to reclaim it.

Similarly, I think mana.org contacted GoDaddy's support team and presented their view with proof or in some other way. But I still think it was not bought by any domainer. Maybe I am wrong; this is just my opinion and perspective.

If you still have doubts, let me explain how I reached this point: it was bought by mana.org and not by any domainer.

It's time to connect the dots.

Point #1: I just wanted to check whether mana.org was actually closed by themselves or if something happened to them. To find out, I used my brain and searched this....on google.

"Midwives Alliance of North America Not working"

[Here I wanted to attach screenshots but I could not because while writing this post Media option is not for me since I am New Member, Hence, Not attached.] All my efforts went down and without screenshots this post is nothing in my opinion. Any way I will try my best.]

Hence I would request you try this by yourself.

You can clearly see, through their Facebook page, they informed their members that their website was facing some problems.

I have quoted here.👇👇👇

🖇️ 2 August at 20:45

We are aware that our website is experiencing technical difficulties. We are working on it with the web developer and hopefully it will be up and running here shortly!

Here, I gained some confidence and said to myself, "Yes, I am on the right path."

Point #2: Now, I wanted to find out whether anything else was publicly shared with their members before 4-5 months. To check this, I used web archive history and visited their web history and found nothing. Again, I went to their Facebook page and started to search for more data and finally found some important documents that are publicly available.

[ Again, Here I wanted to attach screenshots but I could not because while writing this post Media option is not for me since I am New Member, Hence, Not attached.] All my efforts went down and without screenshots this post is nothing in my opinion. Anyway I will try my best.]

After reading these supporting documents, I was 100% sure that they were facing some internal problems, and this organization is still alive.

Again I quote,

May 26,2023 1:00pm EST

Dear MANA Membership,

This past season has been one of multiple challenges. We, your MANA board, have been doing our best to hold this precious organization together, not just to survive, but to thrive. Working as a very limited board (only five of us) makes this task daunting.

Now, to understand Bank's role in this matter and many other things, you need to visit their official Facebook page. There you can access more data. Please take little efforts to read those documents. [ I already screenshotted many other things but unable to post here, due to new member has some limitations.]

Any way I quote here few things AS PER THEIR DOCUMENTS,

May 31, 2023 10:00pm EST

Re: Public letter to MANA Board of Directors of 5/27/23

###### did not have FAM's accounts frozen. The Bank did that on their own as soon as they were aware that the FAM board was to be removed. No one is allowed to access the funds until the bank themselves decide it is appropriate to release the funds.

[Now to understand FAM's role. You need to visit their FB page and read all docs. Soon you will understand the actual matter.]

Technically,

As per Domain life cycle, a forty-day grace period + 30 day redemption period, totaling approximately 70 days.

As per Documents, Bank account was frozen in month of MAY. May be their domain expiration timeline falls at same time (plus minus), If you calculate all happenings since , approx.: June 30 + July 30 + August 10 = 70 days and Auction was ended recently in August.

What do you think???

That's why I think it was bought by themselves.

The next question that may arise in our minds is, "Why didn't GoDaddy cancel this auction and inform other bidders about this situation?"

I am not sure, but I can guess. I think it would have damaged their reputation among regular customers, and the only legitimate way, in my opinion, was to allow the real owner to bid. This way, all domainers might have given up, and ultimately, the real owner/organization secured their property and learned a $167,000 worth lesson.

That's all I wanted to share with you.

If namePros allows me then I would be happy to attach all screenshots.

I repeat without any screenshots This article and my efforts are wasted. Anyway I will continue!(y)

===========================================================================================

Now let me share my opinion/answer to the first question, which was asked at the beginning:

"Why do you think any domainer would go after such an expensive domain for $167,000?"

To answer this question, I visited many websites and took proper screenshots and highlighted many other things. Unfortunately, All my time and efforts wasted. Since, I was not aware that I won't be able to attach any documents over here. So, This article has lost his originality. And I am Sorry for that, Nothing is in my hands! Still trying my worst/best.

Back to the topic!

The answer is simple.

Generally, finding such a quality domain is not an easy task. It takes time and effort. We regularly need to keep track of the status and progress of the expired domain name.

Let's study mana.org and why this domain name is so special.

Just search it on google, site:mana.org

About 667 results. It means 667 indexed pages.

Look at the Quality backlinks.

Multiple .gov (Government) backlinks with 90+ Domain Authority.

Backlinks from big well known platforms,

For example:

usatoday . com
nytimes . com DA-95.
the guardian . com DA- 95.
Medium . com DA-95
wikipedia . com DA-96

bit . l y DA-94
washingtonpost . com DA-94
healthline . com DA-92.

etc. Can't list anymore. 2.0k+

✅27 years old and active site.
✅High DA-PA, solid and powerful backlinks from governments and other big platforms.
✅High CPC and a quality niche, i.e., healthcare and insurance.
✅Short and easy to remember name, i.e., mana.org.
✅With quality content and proper strategy, it can bring a lot more traffic.
✅$167,000 - (minus) any monthly earned amount through ads or backlinks or sponsored = will reduce down the buying cost and soon will start generating profits.

⁉️Or, I think the buyer may be aware that mana.org was facing problems, and if any bidder gets it, they may get a higher amount than what they have paid to acquire this domain.

That's all I wanted to say.

I did this little research just for educational purposes only.

Maybe I am completely right, or half right, or completely wrong.

What do you think about it?

Here, many namePros members have their own reputed websites and cover domain-related daily news, sale reports, etc. If they use their contacts or resources, many things can be discovered and would be a very good educational lesson for everyone including our domain community.

Big Thank you for your time and attention!!! And sorry if I wasted your time by any chance by writing such a huge article.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
it blows my mind that your initial assumption was basically to be sure it sold to domainer... your entire post and investigating should begin and be based on fact u dont know If sold to domainer... in fact if u ran survey on this one my guess is right off bat majority would say .. not domainer sale

•••
First, expired domain auctions are only open to those who already backordered it.
You're wrong there. Not all marketplaces restrict expired domain auctions to users who have back ordered the domain!

•••
You're wrong there. Not all marketplaces restrict expired domain auctions to users who have back ordered the domain!

First and foremost, Thank you very much for reading such a lengthy article.
While writing this post, my mind was buzzing with numerous thoughts, and I was conscious that someone might have questions at this point.

You're right there! Certain services conduct exclusive auctions solely for individuals who have placed a backorder for the domain name. However, most services currently opt for public auctions, allowing anyone to participate and place bids on the domain name. Need to understand the auction process of the specific services we select!
==============================================================================

"But the actual reason for creating this discussion is different".

I believe it was not purchased by any domainer, but by the actual owner, i.e., mana.org!

Hello, everyone!

Let me tell you all what my real intention was behind this case study!

As you all know, mana.org is an expired domain and was recently sold for $167,000.

Many experienced domainers said, "This was too much for an expired domain!" Some may have thought it was a fake sale. Many are still confused about why any domainer would invest such a huge amount in an auction for an expired domain!

And my logic was completely out of the box! Maybe I am completely right, half right, or completely wrong!

Hence, to gather logical opinions and views, I have named it a CASE STUDY and gathered necessary data for you all so that it would be interesting and knowledgeable!

My logic is very simple!

First: If it was actually bought by the actual owner, i.e., mana.org, then we could learn from their mistakes, and it could be a very good lesson worth $167,000 for everyone. We could also add it to our knowledge of what to do and what not to do if we or anyone else finds themselves in the same situation.

In conclusion,

Forget your date of birth? No problem! Do not forget your domain's expiration date!

And second: If it was bought by any domainer, then that is good and interesting news for us. If that domainer shares his valuable knowledge with the public, why he invested and its benefits!

If such people exist, and somehow, luckily you acquire an expired domain, then you might have that surprised $167,000 in your account, if not at least $20,000 to $50,000. Optimistic??? I think I should stop now!

Again, Thank you, everyone, for your valuable time!

•••
Simply horrible case study to be honest... You should invest your time better.

•••
it blows my mind that your initial assumption was basically to be sure it sold to domainer... your entire post and investigating should begin and be based on fact u dont know If sold to domainer... in fact if u ran survey on this one my guess is right off bat majority would say .. not domainer sale

Really! Thank you very much for reading such a huge article.

I noticed that your post didn't appear as the first one for me, which is why I didn't reply right away. I'm not sure how that happened, but regardless, I appreciate and thank you for opening the comments. I don't know how I missed you; it wasn't my mistake. It seems like there might have been a glitch on this site.

Before, writing this article, I heard different-different opinions about this sale!

I want to apologize if my initial assumption seemed premature. I completely understand your concern. You mentioned, "the majority would say... not a domainer sale," and I see your point. However, it's important to consider those who might have a minority opinion on the matter. Since the domain was sold on expired domain marketplaces, I approached it from the perspective of catering to the 1% of individuals who might have doubts about whether it was a domainer sale or something else.

Also, As a new member on this platform, I'm currently unable to post screenshots or access certain services. I hope this clarifies things.

Thanks a lot again !

•••
Simply horrible case study to be honest... You should invest your time better.

Thank you very much for taking the time.
I appreciate your candid feedback!

•••
First and foremost, Thank you very much for reading such a lengthy article.
Sorry, you're wrong again here. I did not. I actually could not. Your formatting, use of colors, multiple font sizes etc. make it extremely hard to read (Including this and the subsequent comment). If you want to be taken seriously, try to convey your message using language and not weird formatting antics. It is quite annoying and makes your content painful to read

•••
Sorry, you're wrong again here. I did not. I actually could not. Your formatting, use of colors, multiple font sizes etc. make it extremely hard to read (Including this and the subsequent comment). If you want to be taken seriously, try to convey your message using language and not weird formatting antics. It is quite annoying and makes your content painful to read

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry you couldn't read the entire article due to formatting issues. I appreciate your input and will take it into consideration for future articles.

•••
I agree with you, the post lacks straight and forward logic and the OP is just thinking and discussing with himself in circles, there are so many inconsistencies and if you are lucky to make it till the end, there are no clear conclusions also. Or he is working on his texts to be more rational and include the solid proofs, or he just avoid case studies or similar in the future on Namepros.

•••
I agree with you, the post lacks straight and forward logic and the OP is just thinking and discussing with himself in circles, there are so many inconsistencies and if you are lucky to make it till the end, there are no clear conclusions also. Or he is working on his texts to be more rational and include the solid proofs, or he just avoid case studies or similar in the future on Namepros.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts. The intention behind my case study was to provide a different angle/perspective. Have you had the chance to read the news that preceded this case study? Here's the link for your reference. namepros.com/threads/mana-org-expires-closes-at-167-000.1309178/.
I understand that there might have been some confusion regarding the context and motivations behind this case study.

•••
Mana token is actually huge in decentraland and the .org extension fits well, not to mention the huge SEO value of domain. In my opinion or decentraland bought it or a domainer who speculates to sell to decentraland for a lot more.

•••
Mana token is actually huge in decentraland and the .org extension fits well, not to mention the huge SEO value of domain. In my opinion or decentraland bought it or a domainer who speculates to sell to decentraland for a lot more.

Hey! You know what, I'm grateful for your opinion, your opinion enriches the conversation. Also, Thank you for sharing your insights on the Mana token, the value of the .org extension in the context of Decentraland, and the potential motivations behind the purchase of the 'Mana.org' domain. It's interesting to hear a different opinion/viewpoint on this topic, and gathering various opinions and insights is precisely what I hoped to achieve with this case study. It's valuable to see how different individuals interpret the same data. I'll step back for now, as I believe I've already shared my opinion. If you or anyone else has more thoughts to share, please feel free to continue the discussion.

Thanks a lot one more time!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back