NameSilo

Someone is letting blockchain domains drop and they’re selling like hot cakes

Located in Domain Expiration and Domain Drop Catching started by Nametree, Jan 16, 2018.

Replies:
Views:

1. Mr. Deleted

Mr. Deleted Slabaugh.com 800-266-2728 VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. JaredPantalone

JaredPantalone New Member

Hello everyone,

Jane is my Mom, that section of obit wwweb found is her's.

First I need to thank the kind people who have reached out to me and let me know what was happening, I have hopefully stopped what domains remain in this account from expiring... looks like we've missed a lot but not all of them. My Mom was always a little ahead of the curve. Rank carelessness isn't too far from the truth though I'd like to think I've learned my ~$100k lesson.

3. Nat Hunt

Nat Hunt Upgraded Member Gold Account VIP

@JaredPantalone Sorry for your mom's passing. Even if you had renewed the names and put them up for auction, I don't think you would've been able to get near the prices that these have. It's just the psychology of the auctions, where people pay higher prices for names that are expired versus names that are put up for sale by their owner.

4. wwwweb

wwwweb Top Member VIP

Agreed, regardless I can only imagine what that inbox looks like, there are probably some decent offers of some domains that already sold cheaper.

I saw BlockchainServices.com cross the finish line over $20K, there was a handful of others that sold for mid 4 figures, and some on the cusp of 5 figures. Jared is right about $100K, today was the biggest drop of them all, the timing of Godaddy's redemption schedule rule change, couldn't have been any worse, you missed it by a month, otherwise you could have recovered every name by now.

If you are in Phoenix, maybe pay godaddy a visit, and see if they can donate some of the funds to your mom's charities.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  5. wwwweb

wwwweb Top Member VIP

Godaddy

6. Mr. Deleted

How many are left? Maybe we can have an auction here if you are interested in selling some of them.

7. catchmesleeping

catchmesleeping Established Member

@JaredPantalone sorry for your moms passing. It seems like she was really a special, forward thinking person. My mom wouldn't even know how to register a domain name, let alone have the imagination to register hundreds of names, really good names, related to barely known technology. Did you even know that she was into blockchain and crypto stuff?

8. wwwweb

wwwweb Top Member VIP

The majority of the value names have sold, I see a few cannabis lingo type, some ether, bitcoin ones, but the the ones that would have had the eyeballs on them, and command the big dollars as some did are sold. It’s a sad situation for sure, and the portfolio yielded well over $100K, it’s to bad the family does not get those proceeds, as she was way ahead of the curve, even ahead of us domainer types. I’m sure she would have owne bitcoin given her expertise registering so many domains.

9. Mr. Deleted

I am asking the son to list whats left in the account, there may be some in there that you can not see.

10. wwwweb

wwwweb Top Member VIP

I am sure there are a few good ones left, blockpay.com was probably one that went very cheap $22xx, blockchainservices.com went very high at $20,xxx.

I agree he should list them on a appraisal thread, and I am sure nameproers will help him price, and value them accordingly. If godaddy didn't change the rules last month, you do realize he could have renewed all the domains after the auction, and recovered them, all these years godaddy didn't change the renewal policy, and a month into this massive drop it happens.

11. NetworkPearl

NetworkPearl Top Member VIP

Which GD policy changed?

12. Bluhorshoe

Bluhorshoe Established Member

I read blockchain domains are the next big thing!

13. Nametree

Nametree Nametree.com VIP

They used to allow expired domains to be renewed during/after they were sent to auction - which led to some intentionally allowing domains to expire, waiting to see how much they auction for, and then renew them at the last minute, canceling the auction. In this particular situation, Jared would have been able to renew the domains after he was warned of the massive drop, now it's no longer possible.

14. NetworkPearl

NetworkPearl Top Member VIP

okay so if i have an expired domain and the auction finished like yesterday. Wouldn't I be able to renew it today?

15. Nametree

Nametree Nametree.com VIP

If your domain was registered with Godaddy, no, you wouldn't. If it was registered at one of Godaddy's partners that send their expired lists to Godaddy expired auctions, you may still be able to renew the domain (not sure the exact timeframes, it depends from registrar to registrar).

16. equity78

equity78 Top Member TLDInvestors.com TheDomains Staff PRO Gold Account VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

My sincerest condolences on the passing of your Mother, if there is anything you need help with, please contact. If you do in fact put names up for auction, I am happy to advertise them for free on our blog.

17. Michael M

Michael M Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

FYI - @Joe Styler

Maybe it would be good "karma" to donate some of the proceeds of those names to the family?
    (though I understand you guys are not obligated to)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  18. wwwweb

wwwweb Top Member VIP

Godaddy is a pretty generous company, the Trump tax windfall, they gave all their employees great bonuses to close out the year. I am sure they have been in touch with the family, since they live in Phoenix also, and they were able access the account.

19. Grilled

Grilled khjasdhkfdhdskfhhukdfshkj VIP

@Paul Nicks >> Hoping for a happy ending!

upload_2018-1-22_16-3-25.png

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  20. platey

platey Top Member VIP

It is

It's just the beginning tho

Virtually anything crypto or coin in. Com has been bought to sit on as investment

21. platey

platey Top Member VIP

domain name challenge

Try and buy a two word dot com where either word is crypto or coin

You may be some time lol

It's virtually impossible for reg fee

22. LarryDomain

LarryDomain Established Member

Yeah Godaddy helped to boost this with their emails to clients. I got this from my rep a few days ago. I didn't participate cuz it's a bit above what I'm willing to pay:

There has been a huge trend in registrations and sales of crypto and blockchain related domains. There are some fantastic domains going through GoDaddy expired auctions right now, so I wanted to let you know about them. I’ve exported and attached the blockchain and crypto related domains currently going through expired auctions. Please take a look and let me know if you want to talk about strategy or possible acquisition of any of these domains.

Attached is the top list of crypto related inventory including GoDaddy Valuation

Top Value: Click on a domain to start bidding

Domain

Auction Price

GD Valuation

End Date

blockchainpro.com

$326

$3,899

2018/01/20 09:36 AM (PST)

blockchainfinance.com

$7,601

$2,984

2018/01/19 08:23 AM (PST)

blockchaincash.com

$135

$2,774

2018/01/20 11:55 AM (PST)

blockchainassets.com

$2,555

$2,752

2018/01/19 09:32 AM (PST)

blockchainservices.com

$1,625

$2,737

2018/01/19 12:51 PM (PST)

blockchainhelp.com

$121

$2,625

2018/01/19 09:22 AM (PST)

cryptotracker.com

$12,750

$2,545

2018/01/25 09:45 AM (PST)

blockchainnet.com

$77

$2,540

2018/01/19 09:20 AM (PST)

dreamcoins.com

$110

$2,319

2018/01/17 12:08 PM (PST)

blockchainonline.com

$57

$2,312

2018/01/19 12:29 PM (PST)

blockchainservice.com

$270

$2,105

2018/01/20 09:18 AM (PST)

blockchainlife.com

$22

$2,090

2018/01/19 08:18 AM (PST)

blockchaintoday.com

$101

$2,085

2018/01/20 01:11 PM (PST)

blockchaingame.com

$205

$2,082

2018/01/20 11:32 AM (PST)

blockchainprovider.com

$33

$2,055

2018/01/20 10:55 AM (PST)

blockchainloan.com

$305

$1,955

2018/01/19 01:25 PM (PST)

blockchainloans.com

$1,025

$1,934

2018/01/19 10:10 AM (PST)

blockchainmanagement.com

$1,450

$1,926

2018/01/18 12:54 PM (PST)

blockchainbase.com

$227

$1,926

2018/01/20 10:46 AM (PST)

blockchainfuture.com

$60

$1,881

2018/01/19 10:42 AM (PST)

23. Paul Nicks

Paul Nicks Member GoDaddy Staff PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

24. Chelsea91

Chelsea91 New Member

Hi @Paul Nicks ! What was the outcome of what GoDaddy was working on with this sad situation?

25. equity78

equity78 Top Member TLDInvestors.com TheDomains Staff PRO Gold Account VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Joe Styler said:
    That is not exactly the whole truth. We did not know she had passed away. When we found out we stopped the auctions that were still live and renewed some of the expired domains in order to give the family time to deal with it.
    I also personally reached out to the family to try and help several times without response.
    We did not make a big deal about this publicly but we not only stopped some of the auctions we were still able to, we also gave the lion's share of the profit we made to a charity the person who lost the domains had an interest in and we made the donation in her name. Again this was after trying unsuccessfully to contact the family. I also tried to contact the son who posted in the thread via namepros unsuccessfully.
    I have seen and been a part of many free renewals for customers of valuable domains when we know they have passed away, are in the hospital etc and cannot otherwise normally manage their domains. We routinely help people with free time on products when there is a disaster such as the hurricanes last year. We just do not make a big deal about it publicly. We do not do it for PR we do it because it is the right thing to do.
    Again I apologize for your experience with chat. That information is completely wrong and you are able to transfer out after expiration as you discovered on your own.

Equity 78 said:

I can vouch for Joe there, because I had people contacting me and then @Paul Nicks contacted me and I said I would write a post about it, but he said they were not doing it for PR so they did not want the publicity. So GoDaddy did try in that case.

Link to the original post https://www.namepros.com/threads/go...g-expired-domains.1086952/page-2#post-6771499

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!