IT.COM

Epik, We have a problem. Domain removed from account without permission.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I am sure as many of you are aware I have had issues with Epik in the past, but decided to give them a chance when I saw a domain I wanted on Name Liquidate.

I purchased the domain PianoMoving.com on 7/20. It was transferred into my account then.
This was the only domain in my account.

It was in my WHOIS information.
I updated the nameservers.

When I just checked it is magically no longer in my account.
The nameservers were changed.
I received zero contact about the domain being moved.

I have all the receipts -

1.) The purchase/renewal from Epik.
2.) The Paypal charge.
3.) Email of when the domain was moved into my account @ Epik.
4.) Email when the nameservers were updated in early August @ Epik.

I don't see any indication that the domain was removed from my account.
On top of zero communication, there also appears to be nothing under "Outgoing Pushes" or "Task History".

I sent a DM to @Rob Monster about this earlier this morning, but have not received a response yet.

I was just notified I received a refund. I don't want a refund.

I want the domain I won, that was in my account, which I had full control over.
It was removed from my account without permission or even notification.

I do not find this acceptable in any way.

@Epik.com, you have some explaining to do.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Has @jberryhill chimed in yet?

I'm waiting for the check to clear.

While I frequently comment on a variety of legal matters in my spare time, I'm not on call to comment on all or most legal disputes in the industry. Most of these things hinge on "facts" which may or may not be as reported, and usually involve a review of various terms of service, etc.. Additionally, someone might have a dispute in which they might ultimately decide to contact or hire an attorney, so why should I invest the time to disqualify myself by making comments on everything that comes down the pike?

Some general principles applicable here are:

1. Like it or not, "mistake" can be a defense to a contract action. Unilateral mistake is a disfavored defense in contract disputes, but that does not mean that it does not work on sufficient evidence. It looks like the domain name was supposed to be maintained pursuant to another agreement, someone dropped the ball, the domain went into the sales pipeline, and nobody noticed until it was sold to someone else. But, keep a pin on that thought for a moment.

2. The measure of damages in something like this is typically what you paid, not what it is "worth". As with anything, there are exceptions to that, and there is objective evidence of value - in the form of the subsequent sale.

3. This is the interesting one to me - let's talk about who has "owned" this domain name. Since someone mentioned something about ICANN, it is worth reviewing how ICANN sees a domain registration...

The things that a registrar is supposed to do, as far as ICANN is concerned, are defined by the Registrar Accreditation Agreement RAA, which was last revised in 2013. The ICANN RAA is here:

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/approved-with-specs-2013-09-17-en

ICANN views the registrar as registering domain names at the behest of the "Registered Name Holder". As far as an "account holder" goes, the account holder might, or might not, be the Registered Name Holder. So, merely having a name in one's account, and being the registrant of the domain name can be two different things. This is actually pretty normal when you think about technical, legal, business or other service providers who hold their customer's names, registered to their customer, but in their accounts as administrators.

Looking at the WHOIS history of the domain name, the registrant has been:

Registrant Name: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY (DT)
Registrant Organization: Legal Brand Domains
Registrant Street: 26565 Agoura Road Suite 200
Registrant City: Calabasas
Registrant State/Province: CA
Registrant Postal Code: 91302
Registrant Country: us
Registrant Phone: 18188848075

...and then changed on 6/17/2022, just after expiration, to:

Registrant Name: Privacy Administrator
Registrant Organization: Anonymize, Inc.
Registrant Street: 1100 Bellevue Way NE, Ste 8A-601
Registrant City: Bellevue
Registrant State/Province: WA
Registrant Postal Code: 98004
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: +1.4253668810

Now, to be clear, Anonymize Inc. is, as I understand it, a separate company from Epik the registrar. So, to Epik, the registrant is the entity listed above. That WHOIS information remains consistent since June.

The 2013 RAA includes a "Specification on Privacy and Proxy Registrations". That specification was supposed to expire in 2017 until the conclusion of an ICANN policy group to come up with a privacy/proxy accreditation standard. With the entire policy mess around registrant information generally, the 2013 specification periodically is extended (and was recently given an additional year beyond the extension noted on the page linked above).

But, one of the takeaways is that the registrant of the domain name has been whomever Anonymize Inc. might say it is. In a situation like this, a typical registrar response to someone complaining to ICANN about "my domain name" is that the registrant of the domain name has been (in this instance) Anonymize Inc., so the person submitting the complaint is not and has not been the registrant of the domain name. Certainly, it was never in the registrar's WHOIS data that the name was registered to whomever is making the complaint.

This sort of problem is one of the long list of reasons why privacy services are crap. If you want privacy, form your own corporation, register your names to that corporation (LLC or whatever), and use that. But, no, we have this industry where people take million dollar assets, hand them to a stranger to hold, and say "don't tell anyone its mine." How often do you do that in real life? If something goes wrong, you are complicating the process of saying "it's mine" in the first place.

"Who is the registrant of a domain name" can be something of a slippery question when there is a privacy service involved, and particularly if the privacy service purports to be a different entity than the registrar.

4. At long last, we come to Epik's terms concerning aftermarket transactions. Nameliquidate's "terms" link apparently forwards to the Epik.com general terms, which include such gems as...

"We reserve the right to reject or cancel your After Market Domain Name registration for any reason including, but not limited to, any pricing errors. In the event your After Market Domain Name registration is rejected or cancelled by us, for any reason, we will refund in full the amount of the purchase price for the After Market Domain Name as your sole remedy."

Epik is claiming the reason is there was a mistake. That's well within "any reason". They don't have to explain it in detail to you, but you can spend a lot of money litigating to find out whether they really made one or not. Then we come to:

"IN NO EVENT SHALL EPIK, ITS AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, OR SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE FOR LOST PROFITS OR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SITE, THE SERVICES, OR THIS AGREEMENT (HOWEVER ARISING, INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE). EPIK`S LIABILITY, AND THE LIABILITY OF ITS AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AND SUPPLIERS, TO YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTIES IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCE IS LIMITED TO THE GREATER OF (A) THE AMOUNT OF FEES YOU HAVE PAID TO US IN THE 12 MONTHS PRIOR TO THE ACTION GIVING RISE TO LIABILITY, AND (B) $100."

So, the first question is, "Are you shooting for the fees or going for the $100?"

Now, of course, whenever these things come up, someone is sure to throw around things like "contract of adhesion", "unconscionable terms", "illusory contract" and so on. But those things are easier said than actually litigated successfully. The last one - saying that it is not a "contract" because there is no real obligation - is easily addressed by the fact that they indeed are obligated to do various things at the risk of your fees or $100.

But let's take unconscionability. You'd be surprised what kinds of awful contracts are held not to be "unconscionable" legally. Is it "unconscionable" for a registrar to limit their liability to $100 when they are dealing with assets that could be worth millions. Well, one answer to that question is to consider that if you are in a business that is essential to the internet, and you are dealing with a million customers at a profit margin of a couple of dollars a piece, to how much potential liability should you reasonably be expected to expose yourself? At $100 a pop, your million customers represent a potential liability of $100 million dollars. That limit looks a lot more reasonable if you are simply looking at both sides of the table.

Now, normally, if you as an individual are concerned about loss of assets, you can find appropriate insurance from a duly-licensed and regulated insurance provider. One of the surprising finds in this thread is that, although you had a domain name and you don't have it any more, registrar revocations are apparently not a domain loss scenario that DNProtect would get excited about. Given that pretty much any and every registrar has similar "we can do what we want with little recourse" policies - and which time and time again we see them do - then it's good to know there is at least one protection vendor who will not cover this sort of scenario.

That's for starters. Can all that be argued against? Sure. But those points are baggage that you have at the starting line of this sort of dispute. The ball does not start mid-field in these kinds of situations, but deep in your own territory. That's all.

There's another thread here in legal issues where someone is going to sue so many people that he wants suggestions on who to include. The probability of an actual lawsuit is very low, and these sorts of registrar disputes - in their infinite variety - is why registrars have very protective terms in the first place. It's a big world and new problems come up all of the time.

But, Keith, in general, I'm much more interested in IP and trademark issues, some transactional issues, and civil procedure issues (how does one file, serve, and move forward with a suit) for recreational kibitzing, because the "I'm upset at some registrar and I'm going to sue them for (whatever)" threads are a dime a dozen. Since I spend my own time commenting on these things, then I pick the ones I find interesting or worthwhile on my own. If I've been tagged once and don't comment, it's probably because (a) I'm on one of my months-long forum diets, or (b) it's just not interesting to me.

The class of "I did X at a registrar and didn't get what I expected/wanted" stuff is more about how a registrar chooses to deal with their customer service issues and does not usually present any fact patterns that change the basic dynamic of "screw you" registration and service contracts.

Definitely sucks. I'd be angry too. As mentioned a couple of times above, sometimes the best thing you can do is make some noise. But as a legal matter, these things aren't usually worth pursuing.

One practical thing I have observed about these kind of "we corrected our mistake" registrar actions is that they wouldn't happen if the domain name were moved to a different registrar. I'm not going back to check the timeline on this one, but one thing to think about as a practical safeguard is that when you purchase a domain name at a registrar-affiliated service of some kind, then move that domain name to another registrar just as soon as you can. Whether that applies here, I don't know. But it is worth keeping in mind, and not just at this registrar. You might think "all sales are final" but the terms are pretty open-ended on that subject.

An example of this sort of thing crossed my desk a while back. My client bought a name at a registrar-affiliated drop auction. As soon as was possible, my client transferred the name to another registrar. The first transfer request was denied by the losing registrar. My client complained to them about the failure, submitted a second transfer request, and it went through. Sometimes, you can simply ask to have a lock removed. After the transfer, the gaining registrar locked the name and said there had been an inquiry about the transfer. Shortly after that, the gaining registrar said everything was fine and removed the lock. Finally, my client received an email from the legal department of the original registrar saying they wanted to "talk about the domain name before pursuing legal action." My client sent me that email and I replied by saying that they could certainly write to me and explain the legal claim to me. The registrar never did and went silent. I eventually got the impression that they were trying fix some customer service snafu at their end - and they would have done so if they were still the registrar.

•••
This is the problem when you have self righteous religious zealots running a company - they are never wrong, god's on their side so they must be right and it's always someone/something else's fault.....Also they seem to have some kind of delusional special dispensation to act according to their beliefs rather than reality.......Not the way to run a business......

Twisted kind of moral reality......Right is right and wrong is wrong - no need for religious hyperbole to be factored into the equation

Unfortunately Brad it looks like you have been screwed over -ask for the money to be given to a Atheist Charity and let it stick in his throat

•••
Thanks Brad.

As a good faith gesture, I did just now go ahead and add $500 in Epik credit to your account.
The timing of Brad's public post plus general brigading of negative energy, was unnaturally coincident with our marketing event at NamesCon. While I acknowledge Epik's error, Brad's approach was believed as not in good faith and was arguably defamatory and weaponized. This is consistent with his general approach to Epik at NP.

Don't bother. Donate it to charity.

It is clearly not actually a "good faith" gesture.

I will never use Epik again after this happened. It is not just about the issue itself, it is about your pathetic response.

As far as the timing goes, maybe if you notified me when you removed the domain from my account earlier this would have been resolved earlier. You can only blame yourself for that failure.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
One thing is clear from all this:

Domains are not as safe as I thought.

Apparently, registrars can simply take your domain with no repercussion whatsoever. And no notification, too.

It's really scary that someone can take your asset away from you without consequences because they're legally covered by the terms of service.

What if Brad had built a business on the domain name?

One month is enough time to get a business running. They'd shut down the business just like that!

Scary stuff.

•••
1662147605031.png

•••
The timing of Brad's public post plus general brigading of negative energy, was unnaturally coincident with our marketing event at NamesCon. While I acknowledge Epik's error, Brad's approach was believed as not in good faith and was arguably defamatory and weaponized. This is consistent with his general approach to Epik at NP.
Please. The "error" or "mistake" was on your end.

You removed it from my account without permission.
You did not notify me.
There is no record of the transfer in my account.

Did you want to go ahead and refute any of those claims before you throw around baseless accusations of "defamation"?

There is nothing I did in bad faith. I reported a factual accounting of what happened, to the best of my knowledge. If you didn't like that, tough.

If is not like I can control the timing of when I found out about you removing the domain without my authorization.

It is clear who is in the wrong here, and it is not me. I did nothing but buy the domain on your venue, paid for it, and received it.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
The fact that they did not issue the refund of no trivial amount, after removing the name without permission/notification of the account owner, and waited for few weeks until it was discovered by Brad, makes everything so much worse!!!

I have 22000 domains with Godaddy. I have no worries because I fully trust them that nothing like that can happen. Imagine otherwise, if I had to a) regularly check my past downloads to current to see if any name disappeared b) regularly check the reversed auction wins (without hitting my account) and checking my credit cards if they "forgot" to return my money.

I stopped buying at Dyna auctions, because I did not like when they refunded me for the undelivered auction with the account credit instead of straightforward card refund and I had to go through the extra motions to get that money. This is, again, way way worse!!!

So,

Error 1: Set an installment escrow without bothering to renew the name that was about to expire

Error 2: Send the name to NameLiquidate (how was this possible if Braden hadn't enabled this option?) and allow it to be won by someone without any red flags, notifications etc.

Error 3: Go and blatantly remove the name from the account after letting it sit there for weeks.

Error 4: Issue no notification about it and hope the owner doesn't notice

Error 5: wait until the owner notices to return his $1k money

Error 6: provide generic BS answer to the support ticket

Error 7: have the outgoing (?) CEO come into the public forum, use the "opportunity" for self-promotion, attack the customer that has been wrongfully treated and offer compensation goodies in the form of paper money that he has no use for.

Did I miss anything? But yes, if we don't count the above, they can absolutely claim to be the swiss bank of domains :-D

•••
After reading this whole thread, I am 100% with Brad.

I hope responsible person from Epik will reach to Brad and offer an serious apology for TRULY HORRIBLE experience he was subjected to so far.

To read about registrar which just takes domain name without any notification out of the account weeks after purchase .. this is like a total nightmare scenario for me, tbh. Then to see how Rob communicated with Brad in this thread is an further enhancement of that nightmare for me, so unenjoyable to read..

In my personal opinion: after an SINCERE apology and detailed explanation about what happened, EPIK should negotiate with Brad how to settle this in a way all parties are happy. Epik should fully own mistake they did, and propose a REAL compensation/settlement.

I am not very frequent here anymore, but I will be watching it, like many other people.

•••
I just submitted a complaint with ICANN. I am not sure what they will, or even can do.

In summary -

The domain pianomoving.com was removed from my account by Epik.com a month after I became the owner.
It was moved to the current registrant without authorization, notification, explanation, or refund at the time.

An unrequested refund was only provided, without explanation, after I discovered the domain missing.

What was going to happen if I did not notice this? Was Epik ever going to give me notice, explanation, or a refund?

I also pointed to the UDRP panel's ruling in the VOCL.com dispute.

In that case, Epik Inc. had been determined by the panel to have inherent conflicts of interest, provided materially inaccurate information and disclosures regarding domain ownership, and engaged in misconduct.

The panel also called into question the respondent's credibility and goes on to find serial misrepresentations by the respondent.

Please refer to the full findings here -
https://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/search/text.jsp?case=D2021-1050

I believe this is relevant because it is directly related to the credibility of the registrar itself.

I believe what Epik says should not be taken at face value, and what actually happened needs to be investigated further.

When you factor in the timeline and chain of events, I think it is reasonable to come to the conclusion that Epik acted in bad faith by removing the domain without authorization, notification, explanation, or a refund at the time.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
The key. The domain expired. In other words, somebody did not renew it. So what the issue is? @bmugford elected to purchase it on nameliquidate. Which is what nameliquidate exists for. Nothing wrong here. Brad is a new owner. No questions. Refund, if any, should have been issued to the buyer, with a careful calculation - if he paid full monthly quote for June, but was able to use the domain lets say between 06/01 and 06/15, as it expired on 06/16, so 15 days (1/2) should be refunded and recurring billing stopped. Imo...

That's a valid point. If the domain was not renewed, that is not really my problem.
It happens daily.

If Epik failed to renew it. That is not my problem.
If Braden failed to renew it. That is not my problem.
If the person on a payment plan failed to renew it. That is not my problem.

The bottom line is I purchased it legitimately via a venue where @Rob Monster said - "all sales are final."

Brad

•••
The remedy was improperly handed. Once discovered it was fully remedied and now also fairly compensated.
Rob, thanks for your reply. I conclude that the reputational damage Epik suffers from this fiasco is estimated by you not to exceed $500. Let us know which charity you will donate the $500 to.

Last edited:
•••
The name is decent and stuff but don't you think it was sort of strange to "jump" at this name at $995.. it's not THAT good of a name.. if you are seeing it 100% as a "brandable" registered in only 12 extensions currently.
You are either trolling, or simply don't understand domain values that well.

The term "pianomoving" is taken in 216 .COM alone with the words together.
It is a highly desirable term.
why not wait for it to go down to $150? Did you really think someone else would want this name that badly that you couldn't wait?
I am not sure if I believe that you chose this name out of thousands and thousands and spent that much on it as a brandable!
Are you serious? This is 2022.
You could not even get this quality of domain for $150 15 years ago.

"Piano Moving" is not a brandable. It is a keyword domain in a lucrative field, perfect for lead generation.

I think the problem here really comes down to your ability to understand the value of a domain like this.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I have the impression that they only respond when it is "convenient" for them.
Well, I won't be letting this one go. A refund is simply not going to work.

You can't have domains just disappearing from your account.
No permission. No notification. No record of it.

I have been in the industry for almost 20 years, used dozens of registrars, and never once had this type of issue.

This is just not acceptable.

Brad

•••
Using this thread for personal gain is really the lowest thing you can do. Shame on you, Rob.

•••
What a mess.
I sold this name back in May so it was no longer in my acct nor in my control.

Hi Braden,

Thanks for the clarification. I think it is pretty clear now who is responsible for what happened.

I really don't appreciate Rob's attitude when the "error" or "mistake" is clearly on their end, from the self-promotional post to the passive-aggressive $500 "good faith" gesture. If you read the comment, that was clearly not in "good faith".

I am offended by Rob's "defamatory" comment when I am simply making factual statements, that Epik has not even bothered to refute.

I think what happened, and their response to it is a very poor reflection on their company.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Will you contact ICANN or you will listen to Braden's fairy tales?
I would not believe his words until he provided live evidence of all the dates when domain was sold, when was the first payment etc.

•••
Epik is EASILY the shadiest registrar I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with. I'm trying to transfer out some domains right now but the "Transfer out" option is grayed out. I contacted support via chat and they are giving me all kinds of runaround and offering to reduce their insane renewal prices, but refusing to address the obvious elephant in the room -- the unexplained disabling of my ability to transfer out. I asked for a complete list of auth codes and they are taking a very long time. Very upsetting that I'm stuck dealing with Epik on a Sunday morning.

Very sad situation the domain world is in right now, with nobody policing these criminally shady registrars. I hear they recently got a new CEO or something. I highly doubt he can do anything to keep Epik from going under in the next few years, with the mass exodus that is surely coming.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
Since domain names are one-of-a-kind assets, I'd be upset (just like Brad is), as a refund doesn't make one whole!

•••
Hi

i feel for you Brad and hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction.

however, this "system error" explanation is an issue,
why?
because this means that it, the system, is/was acting independently, like some AI without oversight.

not throwing rocks, but is this the same system that had the data breach?

if a domain can be entered in an auction marketplace accidentally and then be removed from a buyers account after purchase,
then that is a serious problem with the registrar and that marketplace, including the security of each users domain names, if/when a system error could initiate that process.

imo....

•••
From what I understand, this Braden guy listed domain at DN liquidate, he forgot to remove the for sale listing, the domain arrived to you, he sold the domain, Braden contact his inside friends at Epik "hey bro I just sold my domain, can ya do me a favor push it to the new owner" that's it sale done.
It seems that Braden Polock has good friends at Epik.
I think he should pay you for what he sold the domain, minus some percentages.
IMO

Last edited:
•••
Using this thread for personal gain is really the lowest thing you can do. Shame on you, Rob.
I would thank Rob for the response, but it just seems like self-promotion honestly.

Everyone needs to understand the domain was not only removed without permission, it was removed without notification or record of it happening.

The refund was only issued after I stumbled on this, around (2) weeks after it was removed from my account.

So when was Epik planning to notify me? As far as I can tell, never.

So much for that "legendary" customer service.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
It was the manual aspect of this transaction that caused the mishap. For various reasons, auction wins are reversed all the time. It’s annoying but, unfortunately, fairly common. The issue here isn’t so much the reversal (mistakes happen) but the failure to reach out to Brad with an explanation. Obviously, I can’t speak to this as I wasn’t involved but I assume (and hope) that Epik has addressed this internally.
At the end of the day, while annoying for all parties (my self included), luckily there was no damage done.

Let's assume that Braden had no control over this domain, which I accept. That means the responsibility to renew the domain was either on Epik or the person on the payment plan.

This is not a case of an orphaned domain listing for sale that the owner no longer owns.

The only way this was allowed to happen was by sheer incompetence. It is my belief, that in a normal situation, the domain would be lost because the renewal was not paid on time. I don't think in a normal situation it would have been clawed back a month later.

This was sold via an "all sales are final" venue. All sales should be final.

Can anyone show even one other example of a Name Liquidate purchase being clawed back, after a month?
It not, it is pretty easy to infer some special treatment went on here.

It was only because Epik had access to remove the domain from my account that it was able to happen.
They provided no notification, explanation, or refund until I caught it later.

I also disagree that no damage was done.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I agree. Those seem like more equitable solutions.

Right now the best offer I have is $500 in Epik credit, and accusing me of making "defamatory" statements and acting in "bad faith". It doesn't seem like a real appealing offer.

@Braden Pollock

As an Epik shareholder, how do you feel about the (former) CEO making these statements?
Is it appropriate?

I believe I deserve an apology.

Brad
You absolutely deserve an apology

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back