Dynadot

question EMAIL LEAKS - .co going to .com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Internet.Domains

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
I have a .com that is getting a ton of email intended for the business using the .co extension.
It's a billion dollar company and they recently rebranded to the .co.

I have both employees and customers sending emails, intended for the .co company, to my .com.

It's easy to see why the issue is from both company employees and customers alike.

.co/.com

Has anyone else experienced email intended for .co going to the .com?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think it is common. Mine from .online to .com email. Not many but once a month. I always reply with "wrong address". Not intended to sell the domain for them because I dont think they can afford the price.

•••
thank you for further confirming; Com is king!

COM>.Co

seems like a common problem,

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Everybody leaks email, I wouldn't get head over heels thinking only because it's .co

I've received a ton of financial data from owning a non pural 3L.com - balance sheets, solicitors, wife's, everything.

I.e cars.com emails will go to car.com

Think about it too, most emails at most mordern firms are built into Zendesk. SLA's and a plethora of other reasons. Nobody with gram of common sense hands out emails. Nor are they advertised

The notion this "leaked" email only happens because you don't own the .com is total buffonary of the highest order. Others will say different. IMO come up with a better pitch

•••
Everybody leaks email, I wouldn't get head over heels thinking only because it's .co

I've received a ton of financial data from owning a non pural 3L.com - balance sheets, solicitors, wife's, everything.

I.e cars.com emails will go to car.com

Think about it too, most emails at most mordern firms are built into Zendesk. SLA's and a plethora of other reasons. Nobody with gram of common sense hands out emails. Nor are they advertised

The notion this "leaked" email only happens because you don't own the .com is total buffonary of the highest order. Others will say different. IMO come up with a better pitch

I'll add another point today's KYC and AML tools are built-in. Unless your a financial services company based in limassol, everybody has the same process.

I don't which dinosaur of the domain industry flogs this, "if you don't own the .com nonsense" I actually genuinely find it embarrassing.

If you want me to put to bed this only happens because it's .co I can kill that conversation in 0.1 seconds

Last edited:
•••
I'll add another point today's KYC and AML tools are built-in.

I don't which dinosaur of the domain industry flogs this, "if you don't own the .com nonsense I actually genuinely find it embarrassing.

If you want me to put to bed this only happens because it's .co I can kill that conversation in 0.1 seconds

Wouldnt overstock’s O.co specular failure, of rebrand beg to differ? Verisign’s O.com” kept stealing all the traffic from “O.co” and today O.co leads”Overstock.com” 1 of worst rebrand

One of best case studies epic failure rebrand;
cuz of..opted .co and not .com? and doesnt get much better than“O.co” for .co” instead of .com

Last edited:
•••
That happens very frequently. Because 99% of the people have the .com in mind, and when sending an email, they will send it to the .com, whatever is the tld extension.

But the companies selling the new gtlds won't tell this to their buyers, of course. They don't want tell them that the .com is KING and a minimum of 50% of their emails will be sent to the .com domain.

And not only the emails, also the visits. People will go to the .com website sooner than later, because everybody has the .com extension in mind. That's the true, and that's what the new gtld extension companies want to hide from their buyers.

•••
Wouldnt overstock’s O.co specular failure, of rebrand beg to differ? Verisign’s O.com” kept stealing all the traffic from “O.co” and today O.co leads”Overstock.com” 1 of worst rebrand

One of best case studies epic failure rebrand
cuz of... used.co and not .com? and doesnt get much better than “O.co” for “.co” without .com
I don't know what your saying but try and re-word.

Angel.co prime example, how much throughput financial data and compliance they go through? Deal-flow?

@naval on Twitter and tell him .com is king and his company is at risk because of leaked email

Post back the reply here for entertainment

Last edited:
•••
That happens very frequently. Because 99% of the people have the .com in mind, and when sending an email, they will send it to the .com, whatever is the tld extension.

But the companies selling the new gtlds won't tell this to their buyers, of course. They don't want tell them that the .com is KING and a minimum of 50% of their emails will be sent to the .com domain.

And not only the emails, also the visits. People will go to the .com website sooner than later, because everybody has the .com extension in mind. That's the true, and that's what the new gtld extension companies want to hide from their buyers.
Total horsesh*t

The urls I frequent daily are bookmarks or memorized at worst I through in a search query to the engine. I don't what planet or period in time you're pretending to be from but wake up and smell the coffee before it's too late for you

•••
I don't know what your saying but try and re-word.

Angel.co prime example how much throughput financial data and compliance they go through.

@naval on Twitter and tell him .com is king and his company is at risk because of leaked email

Post back the reply here for entertainment

Nah, i like good spirited debates with intelligent people. You are one of them,genuinely curious
im open-minded, it’s the .Co renewals which piss me off the most, and hurts margins... If you are a “poor man’s” .com (popularity) why would you charge $20 instead $8 com?

The O.co example is an example of the best
.co name you can come up with that failed, due to it’s bigger .com brother, stealing traffic. This may not have anything to do with the “Email leak”topic, for which you successfully proved, may be overstated, but popularity preference .com over rest, neve be overstate

what do i use to back up my claim O.co failed is one of the worst rebranding failure?
http://domainincite.com/7992-o-co-loses-61-of-its-traffic-to-o-com

2012 article cited @Jurgen Wolf similar topic; What #2 ext go with?

If O.co brought down by O.com (undeveloped Verisign domain, stole 61% of O.co traffic?

Then no .co will ever top .com!

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Total horsesh*t

The urls I frequent daily are bookmarks or memorized at worst I through in a search query to the engine. I don't what planet or period in time you're pretending to be from but wake up and smell the coffee before it's too late for you
You are the only that talks total horsesh*t
It is clear that the true hurts your butt.

Last edited:
•••

I own great .com names but I don't drink Kool-aid or become delusional about reality due to my own personal conflict of interest

Last edited:
•••
Total horsesh*t

And if you don't know how to talk properly without saying horsesh*t, better go to clean your mouth ;)

•••
And if you don't know how to talk properly without saying horsesh*t, better go to clean your mouth ;)
Evalate the conversation.

All you and others do is regurgitate back total horsesh*t you hear which couldn't be further from the truth.

My own assets doesnt make me delusional. I can't honestly say why this happens to others but maybe somebody who is well versed in this area can explain

•••

Do you have one iota of evidence to support your thinly viened claims. I'll help you out with the answer. No you don't

So don't pretend you do.

When you get the evidence to support post it back until then. Swivel

•••
Do you have one iota of evidence to support your thinly viened claims. I'll help you out with the answer. No you don't

So don't pretend you do.

When you get the evidence to support post it back until then. Swivel

The OP has given an evidence to you. There are plenty of evidence that tons of traffic from new gtlds go to the .com
Why? Because the .com is the KING, because people have the .com in mind and sooner than later will go to the .com, and will send an email to the .com

You look quite nervous trying to defend your new gtlds, but the real world tells that .com is still the king of the internet, period.

Anyway I don't have any problem with new gtlds or discussing about it, but I have a problem when somebody replies only insulting and disqualifying others because they don't think like you. Grow a little, and try to comment here without saying "horsesh*t" and disqualifying others.

Cheers.

Last edited:
•••
The OP has given an evidence to you. There are plenty of evidence that tons of traffic from new gtlds go to the .com
Why? Because the .com is the KING, because people have the .com in mind and sooner than later will go to the .com, and will send an email to the .com
There was no visual evidence. Only a claim which I countered.

As I said I have great .com names - having a horse in race doesn't/shouldn't make one delusional to reality. I can't think how you benefit from wearing rose tinted glasses daily. Call a spade a spade

Great domains are great domains conversation needs to be move from this point. Mark my words this .com is king nonsense will kill your position than you can see it

•••
Yes, you countered the claim with no visual evidence. That makes us both guilty. Carry on.

•••

As I said I have great .com names - having a horse in race doesn't/shouldn't make one delusional to reality. I can't think how you benefit from wearing rose tinted glasses daily. Call a spade a spade

Great domains are great domains conversation needs to be move from this point. Mark my words this .com is king nonsense will kill your position than you can see it
I respect your point of view, if you say it politely and without insults.
I also have quite a few new gtlds, and I respect people that have new gtlds, but my opinion is that .com is still the king, and by far.
It will change if future? Maybe yes, maybe not. But the true is while the most big companies of the world continue using the .com and while tons of millions of websites use the .com for their main website, this will not change.
This is my opinion. And I don't intend to change anyone else's opinion.
Cheers.

•••
Nah, i like good spirited debates with intelligent people. You are one of them,genuinely curious
im open-minded, it’s the .Co renewals which p*ss me off the most, and hurts margins... If you are a “poor man’s” .com (popularity) why would you charge $20 instead $8 com?

The O.co example is an example of the best
.co name you can come up with that failed, due to it’s bigger .com brother, stealing traffic. This may not have anything to do with the “Email leak”topic, for which you successfully proved, may be overstated, but popularity preference .com over rest, neve be overstate

what do i use to back up my claim O.co failed is one of the worst rebranding failure?
http://domainincite.com/7992-o-co-loses-61-of-its-traffic-to-o-com

2012 article cited @Jurgen Wolf similar topic; What #2 ext go with?

If O.co brought down by O.com (undeveloped Verisign domain, stole 61% of O.co traffic?

Then no .co will ever top .com!

Samer

The new trend is owning your company name right of the dot I.e. global.Softbank

Now made at scale with handshake.org

The conversation has to be moved forward. I don't suspect it will, in any-case as we've come to realize if you have a horse in the race Grandiose delusions awaits you
Yes, you countered the claim with no visual evidence. That makes us both guilty. Carry on.
Wasn't a dig, was making a clear point. Email leak doesn't only* happen because you don't own the .com

•••
In my opinion, .co is having hard time to replace .com, but it does not mean gTlds worst than .com version. Btw, dot CO is not gtld, it is country tld (Colombia).

I bet 50% of us do not know what .com stand for? Is it company, commercial, communication or command? 😊

•••
The new trend is owning your company name right of the dot I.e. global.Softbank

Now made at scale with handshake.org

The conversation has to be moved forward. I don't suspect it will, in any-case as we've come to realize if you have a horse in the race Grandiose delusions awaits you

Wasn't a dig, was making a clear point. Email leak doesn't only* happen because you don't own the .com
I understand email leaks will always happen, but in the particular case with .co, I believe it occurs more than other extensions. At least in my particular case.

The reason is simple. Subliminally people type .com instead of .co. Standard habit, especially for faster typers.

•••
I respect your point of view, if you say it politely and without insults.
I also have quite a few new gtlds, and I respect people that have new gtlds, but my opinion is that .com is still the king, and by far.
It will change if future? Maybe yes, maybe not. But the true is while the most big companies of the world continue using the .com and while tons of millions of websites use the .com for their main website, this will not change.
This is my opinion. And I don't intend to change anyone else's opinion.
Cheers.
Well most big companies have their own registry I can go own but they control enough capital for you to get the picture
.google
.softbank

Handshake.org is making this available for the wider public

What happens I don't know...... I can only thank my parents for my education, if I have a horse in the race my judgment doesn't become clouded in old rhetoric

•••
better go to clean your mouth
True story, Aged 10 my mum washed my mouth out with fairy liquid at a attempt to discipline me, I think it was when i told her - you ever take me to church again our relationship will not be salvageable. She had no evidence to support her claims............ so the rest was history

Last edited:
•••
@MSN-Domains I agree with others about the confusion between .co and .com, and yes customers do have .com in mind when typing a url in browser or sending an email, so .com version will always steal traffic + emails from .com.

The problem is that the difference between .co & .com is only 1 letter, add to that the fact that internet users are used .com and the confusion will happen often.

•••
Back