IT.COM

discuss .CO or .COM ?

NameSilo
Watch

Salman Mandal

Established Member
Impact
about to buy a domain name after learning and reading a lot of things at namepros. I decided that i won't buy domain names other than .com extension. Then after reading those sales report of @Nikul Sanghvi. Decided .co can be a good choice. So, now i have a weed related .co and and bet related .com . What should i go for ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
about to buy a domain name after learning and reading a lot of things at namepros. I decided that i won't buy domain names other than .com extension. Then after reading those sales report of @Nikul Sanghvi. Decided .co can be a good choice. So, now i have a weed related .co and and bet related .com . What should i go for ?
I would not suggest to go in .CO space unless its not super premium like one keyword QUOTE.CO , TAP.CO GOOD.CO LINE.CO , BEST.CO if the name is like this then i think its okay else stick with Two Words .COM
Best of luck

•••
I would not suggest to go in .CO space unless its not super premium like one keyword QUOTE.CO , TAP.CO GOOD.CO LINE.CO , BEST.CO if the name is like this then i think its okay else stick with Two Words .COM
Best of luck

+1 for this... I think that's reasonable advice. There's a very specific type of domain that sells in .CO and .IO
If you're starting with domaining, it will be cheaper and easier to focus on .com

More thoughts shared in this post:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/dot-co-confusion.1033963/#post-6293060

•••

Your choice are not good in both extension, you said you have read the @Nikul Sanghvi reported sales let me ask did he reported any "weed" related .co sales? I think the answer is no.

Betting/Bet related .com name get sold but very rarely, I have tons of theme sitting in pocket none got a single interest. I have sold 2 .co.uk betting related name in last 6 months :xf.cool:

Read carefully, not blindly, think twice or many times before acquiring names or hand reg. You will soon find success

•••
It's hard sir. I confused.
Your choice are not good in both extension, you said you have read the @Nikul Sanghvi reported sales let me ask did he reported any "weed" related .co sales? I think the answer is no.

Betting/Bet related .com name get sold but very rarely, I have tons of theme sitting in pocket none got a single interest. I have sold 2 .co.uk betting related name in last 6 months :xf.cool:

Read carefully, not blindly, think twice or many times before acquiring names or hand reg. You will soon find success

•••
Businessbuyers.co is for sale...
Businessbuyers.com sold for $25,000
Was purchased by businessbuyers.co.uk so this could be a lotto for you to win if you do your homework well...

•••
•••
Businessbuyers.co is for sale...
Businessbuyers.com sold for $25,000
Was purchased by businessbuyers.co.uk so this could be a lotto for you to win if you do your homework well...
i am still learning sir. thanks

•••
•••
Stick with .COM to start. If you are not profitable with .COM, you are not likely to be profitable with any extension. Most other extensions require a lot of nuances when it comes to investing.

Brad

•••
I think that it is possible to do well in either of these extensions, but a lot of hard analysis is required to make profitability likely in any domain investment. Use a source like NameBio to look carefully at what type of names have been selling in .co in the last couple of years. There is no doubt that most sales are in .com, but also true that vast majority of names for sale are in that too, so the answer is not quite as simple as might seem. What is certainly true (as several wise voices above said) is that while virtually all types of domains sell in .com, in other extensions it is usually a narrow subset that sell much so may take a more experienced and nuanced view. A few real pros on NPs have done very well in .co last few years, but that does not mean that everyone can. Keep in mind that renewal costs are quite different so if holding multiple years before sale that can add up in .co. If you are looking for a straight simple answer, don't read anything I post :xf.cool:.
Bob

•••
Go for .com
.co is also expensive to renew.

•••
.co can get some typo benefits from the .com So if your site is ideal for their audience demographics you may land a few extra customers :)

It's shorter than .com as well which could be looked at as a benefit.

Definitely good for Colombian market. Just need to find the right industries.. *sniff sniff* :P

•••
Stick with .COM to start.
To start is the operative term here, many ways to bell the cat.

If you are not profitable with .COM, you are not likely to be profitable with any extension. Most other extensions require a lot of nuances when it comes to investing.
Can't argue with this though, if you don't understand the fundamentals getting into alt tlds is almost guaranteed to burn a hole in your pocket / bank account.

•••
You need to decide on niche, extensions whether generic or branded but most of all you need to know how to spot a good name. If your going with weed and gambling niche then stick to them easier to market. Chances are those exciting sales your reading about were not brand new hand registered domains those guys either sat on them or worked for them. The reason many .co sales even happen is because power of keyword and high prices or not for sale on com net org.

Last edited:
•••
.com is the king once and always.

•••
.com is the king once and always.
ok here is a senerio say you tried to buy the best dot com to go with dot co for a brick company and come up with eg
brickbuildingcompany.com $xxx
brick.co $xxx
The do co is probably a quicker sale even though both names are great. It is about what is available to work with in an industry. There is no denying bricks.com is best name but many in same business need a domain.

Last edited:
•••
go with .com because if you're doing seo then it will help you to get better ranking

•••
if you site is related commercial basis then go with .com otherwise .co
.com will help you for in better ranking than .co

•••
I'm dropping about 80% of my 100 .co domains over the next year. I think what others have said is good advice, which is to stick to strong 1 word co domains. LLL probably ok too because the registry is charging premium for them these days. Pretty much all my 2 word co's are being dropped.

I think, on paper, it looks like a great extension. But I don't believe I've had ANY inquiries for any of my .co domains (including the ones I'm renewing). I think the nGTLD's have eaten into their potential market. IMHO.

Again. As others have said. You'd be better off sticking to investing in 2 word .com domains. Even if they are inferior to what can be registered in .co IMHO.

Last edited:
•••
Best of luck

+1 agree

but tap.co, good.co or something else must be higher cost
i suggest to start with .com, after a few month or years you can rebranding

•••
Try both
Then Do what works for you
Some are successful with .co
I have seen two words .co sell
Projectlab.co is two words and it sold for low $xxx

•••
.co if its a premium dictionary one worder

otherwise com 4 sure as first choice

•••
•••
The fundamental distinction is that .COM area is perceived as the most famous area expansion, while .CO is a ccTLD which can be a decent option for a worldwide universal site area name in light of the fact that the greater part of the .COM area name-space is as of now taken. For a western group of spectators, a to some degree better decision is.

•••
Back