Dynadot

poll ***.co or ***.net

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

BrandCollectors.com

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
hi,

help to choose the right of the dot. the name is for startup/company/techbusiness/

i like the .co but .net is cheaper renewal and #2 gtld

.com and .org are taken.

just a quick poll
please vote

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
.net

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
A startup may have limited resources preventing it from spending $50k or more on the ideal .Com domain. However, running a business entails significant costs - employee salaries, office rent, computers, software, printers, server, office furniture, travel, marketing, etc. It seems silly to be making a branding decision based on the renewal cost differential between .net and .co. If the .com is used by another company, I would suggest finding another keyword as it will never be available. Launching a business on .CO will make the .COM acquisition at a later more costly. It could also adversely result in lost business or miscommunication as business-related correspondence ends up being sent to the wrong email address.

•••
If, but only if probably, the .net in some way makes sense in the context of the business, I would choose that. For example if it was a franchise, peer to peer services, review network, service matching, AI neural network, tech or software for cloud or networks, etc. I would choose .net without hesitation.

If it is none of those, I might choose .co although the idea of changing the company name to get a .com should, as @garptrader says, be seriously considered as the right move in long run.

Best wishes for the startup.

Bob

•••
Wow, I will go with .CO.

As for after-market, I find .CO way more active than .NET.

For a commercial business, I prefer .CO.

If there is a brand benefit to .net, then it makes sense. We used Armored.Net for our cloud storage product but the "net" is part of the brand.

•••
.co all the way if it is a business.

•••
.net 100% over .co

Last edited:
•••
It depends on what kind of business/startup is. I see .net good for anything related to the web i.e hosting, web design, etc.. For anything else .co is more brandable.

•••
•••
I will only opt for either of them IF it's being used as a domain hack: eg. sub.net or ban.co. Unless the extension is actually a part of the brand, you should optimistically anticipate a need to operate on a .com from the launch. My whole 0.02$

•••
•••
The startup extension .co of course. Only domainers buys .net.

•••
.co

Net has fallen off in a big way.

•••
Since you mentioned it's a tech startup you may also want to concider .io.

Depending on who your target customers are .net is solid in tech, .io or .co if you want to look cool and fresh.

It really depends on your keyword(s) in front of the dot though.

Also, keep in mind the registrant agreements for .co. No registry seems to be safe concidering the lastest .org heist but I have more faith in the stability of .net than I have in .co.

Personal preference, .net. it has proven to have a solid end-user base whereas the popularity of .co could be a passing fad.

•••
hi,

help to choose the right of the dot. the name is for startup/company/techbusiness/

.com and .org are taken.

just a quick poll
please vote

Choose another name (play around) > available in .com

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
5 years ago I would consider .co, .cm, .om as equal all being typos of .com. But there was some promotion behind .co which I was not aware of. If .om was cheap "maybe" I would buy things like googlec.om,
but ppc is dead, and google owns browsers so such things wouldn't work even if people try to visit such sites by accident.

•••
•••
Keep in mind, the cost of initial registration and renewals are different for many of these suggestions, with the majority of them being higher (on average) than for .NET. (.CO is definitely pricier than .NET, as you have already discovered.)

Granted, you could still keep costs within budget, depending on which registrar you use. The .IT extension is pretty much the only one (so far) where privacy wouldn't be an option, if that were a major concern.

•••
hi,

.com and .org are taken.

just a quick poll
please vote
I go with .Co, but i think a poll should be done with "end user's" to see what they prefer. It's their vote that really counts:xf.wink:

•••
Thanks all who contributed to the post. I learned much today!:xf.smile:

•••
Back