IT.COM

question Would Like Some Input on Potential .CO Reg

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
So, I found a two-word term with the following characteristics:

1. Used by 65 businesses on Open Corporates
2. Two-word term
3. Could also be considered a brandable (maybe)
4. Taken in all the 'major' extensions: Com, Net, Org etc
5. Available in .CO
6. No obvious trademark issues

So, I am not familiar with CO domains, however a positive is that I noticed that even though CO is Columbia, it is often used coloquially to denote 'company' which might make this word1word2.co domain appealing.

One negative is that it is a two word domain that is NOT a .com

Obviously, I cannot share the name yet but I will certainly share it if I decide to register it.

Would love to hear your advice!

Thank you,

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
My advice would be that if you like it and you can afford to lose the money then buy it, if you can't then don't.

If these companies wanted the name then they'd probably have bought it before you have, especially if it's available for registration.

You are correct in that .CO is seen as another .COM type extension in that it isn't generally considered geographically specific.

•••
My advice would be that if you like it and you can afford to lose the money then buy it, if you can't then don't.

If these companies wanted the name then they'd probably have bought it before you have, especially if it's available for registration.

You are correct in that .CO is seen as another .COM type extension in that it isn't generally considered geographically specific.
Thanks!

Mad About Domains!

One more question: What if the .com is in use and not just parked? Would you avoid the name in .co then?

There are no Trademarks on the 2 word term as far as I can tell.

•••
Thanks!

Mad About Domains!

One more question: What if the .com is in use and not just parked? Would you avoid the name in .co then?

There are no Trademarks on the 2 word term as far as I can tell.
The first thing to ask yourself is whether it bothers you that the .COM is registered?

I personally wouldn't start building a business on a .CO if the .COM is already taken, even less so if it is in use. Ideally I'd want the .COM and the .CO in my ownership so that I could make the choice about which extension I wanted to use.

I realise that you might want advice about this from an investment perspective. When I'm registering a domain in another extension other than .COM I normally only buy them if they can stand on their own two feet so to speak regardless of what any other similar domain is wrong.

•••
Thanks MadAboutDomains.

I will have to consider this a bit more...

•••
We can't tell without knowing the domain.

Always get a list of potential end-users before buying a name. How many of those 65 companies use your exact .CO name in another extension? If there are quite a few then it may be worth a punt.

Id be surprised if there was no TM if there are 65 companies using these words. Double check this so you don't waste your money.

Good luck

•••
We can't tell without knowing the domain.

Always get a list of potential end-users before buying a name. How many of those 65 companies use your exact .CO name in another extension? If there are quite a few then it may be worth a punt.

Id be surprised if there was no TM if there are 65 companies using these words. Double check this so you don't waste your money.

Good luck
Will definitely do this.

The two words are pretty generic so that could be why.

So all 65 companies are using these 2 words in their name.

There are several extensions taken with the exact 2 words and a .com with a hypen in between word1 word 2

I am still debating...lol

Last edited:
•••
Will definitely do this.

The two words are pretty generic so that could be why.

I am still debating...lol

Generic doesnt mean anything. Apple, Orange, Caterpillar, Fox etc are all generic, common words too and are trademarked.

Always have that list of buyers first, it will save you wasted registration/renewal costs in the long run, dont buy it because YOU like, "will an end-user want it" is what you must ask yourself.

•••
Depends on whether you are going to resell it or build out on it.
I personally wouldn't start building a business on a .CO if the .COM is already taken, even less so if it is in use.
I don't necessarily agree with this, unless one is planning to use it for the same type of business. If the .com is for selling say shoes, and you plan to use it sell say SEO services, I think most can decipher they're not at the site they were looking for. jmo.

•••
There was a sale recently of GreenLite dot com I think it was a .com

Many companies were using these 2 words ' Green Lite' together.

For example, as examples:
Green Lite Foods
Geen Lite Investments
Green Lite Stables
Green Lite YouNameIt
Etc.

So, GreenLite dot com was an excellent registration and ultimately sold a week or two ago for 6k.

I can only assume the sale was driven by the number of end users using the term 'Green Lite' in their name.

I know this is not exactly the same situation as I am talking about a CO here, but my motivation is the number of companies using the two words together in the CO I am considering

Last edited:
•••
Generic doesnt mean anything. Apple, Orange, Caterpillar, Fox etc are all generic, common words too and are trademarked.

Always have that list of buyers first, it will save you wasted registration/renewal costs in the long run, dont buy it because YOU like, "will an end-user want it" is what you must ask yourself.
Totally get this.

Those company names are Trademarked and easily searched on USPTO.gov

The two words I am talking about together are not

Last edited:
•••
Depends on whether you are going to resell it or build out on it.
I don't necessarily agree with this, unless one is planning to use it for the same type of business. If the .com is for selling say shoes, and you plan to use it sell say SEO services, I think most can decipher they're not at the site they were looking for. jmo.
I agree. Just my personal preference, I wouldn't build a business on a .co either unless it was a killer name.

•••
Simply take it if you can afford it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back