IT.COM

poll Domaining's version of March Madness - Who is the best registrar in the business? 2020 Edition

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Who is the best registrar in the business? 2020 Edition

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
It's time for the domain industry's version of March Madness

The best registrar in the business for 2020

Registrars that got less than 2 votes from last time were not included, Uniregistry being acquired by GoDaddy is not included.

the last big poll here.

Can NameSilo defend their crown? Will Epik finally come through and attain the top spot? GoDaddy always a contender. Any surprises?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
this thread has turned into a joke.....

Sidenote:

@Samer can you please stop with the disparaging comments about every company that is not Epik

What you are doing is negative promotional work on behalf of Epik and I for one am getting fed up with it, will only post this once and from now on will start reporting it.....don't won't a big argument over it, just please consider reigning in the negative competitor comments please.......

I am not really a fan of the promotional spam, lobbying, negative registrar comments in a thread like this. In the future just having a poll and closing the comment section is not the worst idea IMO.

Brad

•••
I hope for epik to lose. If not, we will never hear the end of it + samer and ryan217 will get their paycheck.

•••
I am not really a fan of the promotional spam, lobbying, negative registrar comments in a thread like this. In the future just having a poll and closing the comment section is not the worst idea IMO.

Brad

I thought about doing that with this one Brad. I should have.

•••
This!
Brad might accuse you of conspiracy theories..

Samer

Not a conspiracy, NP staff have confirmed the existence of numerous unbadged staff from various registrars as far as they could tell: https://www.namepros.com/threads/ro...out-paying-a-dime.1167267/page-9#post-7532889

I hope for epik to lose. If not, we will never hear the end of it + samer and ryan217 will get their paycheck.

While I am sure Epik would be a great company to work for I already have a job, but thanks for the suggestion.

•••
I think employees have to be looked at through two different sets of glasses.

I knew @DanSanchez before he was an Epik employee he cannot be considered to be lesser of a vote.

Now if someone joins who never participated here and was like, Hi I am new I am an engineer at Epik, what's a Frank Schilling? Ok that member just joined to vote.

•••
•••
That we know of...1 that we know of. Who knows how many undercover staff have voted for GD or Dynadot or anyone else.

Already went over that, this will be the 3rd time, copy and paste:

Epik on top of that has:

40 badged employees

verified unbadged employees - 0 for everybody else

if/who knows how many influencers. Rob did mention increasing that on social media, I'll take him on his word on that. We had 2 recent threads started recently for the sole purpose of telling us what a great guy he is.

Also, I don't recall ever getting a dislike from these mysterious employees of other places.

----------------
And this is more likely to happen with Epik.

epik would win with or without employees
you try your hardest to discredit actual results
the fruit of Rob’s labor and oh best registrar!

Samer

That's actually you with the Dynadot vote.

Not a conspiracy, NP staff have confirmed the existence of numerous unbadged staff from various registrars as far as they could tell: https://www.namepros.com/threads/ro...out-paying-a-dime.1167267/page-9#post-7532889.

Again, see above and more likely with a smaller company. I doubt GoDaddy would even use a win here for advertising, others would. They're a big company, big advertising. This is lightweight stuff to them.

So who is to decide if 1 vote is good and 18 are bad? If you are using some rules one's, than you should play by the same rules, no matter if it's 1 or 100. It should have been banned from the start, if you want the same genuine results.

I'm fine with that, I don't think employees should vote.

I think once you become an employee, even tho you might like them, sit the vote out.

2 things as far as that.

What we've done elsewhere is simply have a minimum post count to vote. 200, 500, whatever. That alone would help keep out employees from signing up to vote. People with a posting history you can get a good idea of.

Just like once you become an employee, let's say of GoDaddy, you can't bid in auctions. In the past there were issues with that, now there is a rule against it.

Not sure if Epik has the same rules for their employees? Maybe the many employees watching this thread can chime in.

-----------
Side note, I think with some of you guys, in your heads you're imagining you're helping out, when I actually think it's the opposite. The conspiracy stuff or literally advocating spam, is not a good look.

Last edited:
•••
Already went over that, this will be the 3rd time, copy and paste:

Epik on top of that has:

40 badged employees

verified unbadged employees - 0 for everybody else

if/who knows how many influencers. Rob did mention increasing that on social media, I'll take him on his word on that. We had 2 recent threads started recently for the sole purpose of telling us what a great guy he is.

Also, I don't recall ever getting a dislike from these mysterious employees of other places.

----------------
And this is more likely to happen with Epik.

That's actually you with the Dynadot vote.

Again, see above and more likely with a smaller company. I doubt GoDaddy would even use a win here for advertising, others would. They're a big company, big advertising. This is lightweight stuff to them.

I'm fine with that, I don't think employees should vote.

I think once you become an employee, even tho you might like them, sit the vote out.

2 things as far as that.

What we've done elsewhere is simply have a minimum post count to vote. 200, 500, whatever. That alone would help keep out employees from signing up to vote. People with a posting history you can get a good idea of.

Just like once you become an employee, let's say of GoDaddy, you can't bid in auctions. In the past there were issues with that, now there is a rule against it.

Not sure if Epik has the same rules for their employees? Maybe the many employees watching this thread can chime in.

-----------
Side note, I think with some of you guys, in your heads you're imagining you're helping out, when I actually think it's the opposite. The conspiracy stuff or literally advocating spam, is not a good look.

Agree GoDaddy would not be using this win as a pr event, it means more for smaller registrars. Agree on post count or join date too.

The other thing about employee is are these Epik employees making a real salary? I don't know, not saying anything one way or the other, but I know Joe Styler and Paul Nicks have a job, benefits, etc... Maybe some of the Epik people are more Brand Ambassadors, I don't know just asking.

•••
What about making the next poll still with public voters list (obviously) but with the current number of votes be hidden until the poll is closed? Does such an option exist?

Honestly, I cannot understand why would any non-employee want to "up" one registrar, or "down" another? We voted. Fine. Each participant showed support to his or her favorite registrar. How does the poll outcome affect ones business? Zero. We are all busy and should care about own business to begin with, not about somebody else.... The only relevant thing would be operating in healthy market. A poll on the largest domaining forum with natural results (without any influencers, without employee votes) would be natural part of a healthy market. Anything else is not. Which is why I am posting this and other comments for example... I have no personal preferences as to poll outcome by itself. Just let it be fair.

So, hiding current results until the last moment in 2021 etc. would make sense. Imo. As it would eliminate unnecessary and unproductive conversations...

@equity78 you should be well familar with polls config on this forum software. What do you think - is such an option available to begin with?

•••
The other thing about employee is are these Epik employees making a real salary?

We do the work we're paid to do. We not cheat with Namepros polls.

•••
What about making the next poll still with public voters list (obviously) but with the current number of votes be hidden until the poll is closed? Does such an option exist?

Honestly, I cannot understand why would any non-employee want to "up" one registrar, or "down" another? We voted. Fine. Each participant showed support to his or her favorite registrar. How does the poll outcome affect ones business? Zero. We are all busy and should care about own business to begin with, not about somebody else.... The only relevant thing would be operating in healthy market. A poll on the largest domaining forum with natural results (without any influencers, without employee votes) would be natural part of a healthy market. Anything else is not. Which is why I am posting this and other comments for example... I have no personal preferences as to poll outcome by itself. Just let it be fair.

So, hiding current results until the last moment in 2021 etc. would make sense. Imo. As it would eliminate unnecessary and unproductive conversations...

@equity78 you should be well familar with polls config on this forum software. What do you think - is such an option available to begin with?

Maximum Selectable Responses:
  • Single Choice
  • Unlimited

This is the maximum number of responses a voter may select when voting.

Options:
  • Allow voters to change their votes
  • Display votes publicly
  • Allow the results to be viewed without voting
  • Close this poll after:

•••
I understand as well, but I think it's time to get back to business here. The petty infighting has divided our community to the point that all productive work has stopped.

Won't be commenting, defending, or discussing the voting or any topics relating to the bickering.

Let's focus on productivity and sales.

•••
I understand as well, but I think it's time to get back to business here. The petty infighting has divided our community to the point that all productive work has stopped.

Won't be commenting, defending, or discussing the voting or any topics relating to the bickering.

Let's focus on productivity and sales.

Exactly I wish half as much energy was spent on trying to do business. I respect what anyone is here for, but this is not a hobby to me, it's not really fun, it's work, it's about making money.

•••
Voted Epik. Dyna would be my second choice.
I hope someone at Name.com take a look at this to understand how bad they actually are.

•••
Epik received 1 extra vote and the Award for disruption of the domain industry with the most potential to influence, change or create new bonanza market. (merito)

Last edited:
•••
I mean I hate to see if this forum was real life, on election day someone would be coming out of the polls, "who did you vote for? you know there is voter fraud in Arizona? Do you like paying more taxes?" It would be like do I know you? Do I care what you think about who I should be voting for?
Epik received 1 extra vote and the Award for disruption of the domain industry with the most potential to influence, change or create new bonanza market. (merito)

The next poll will be about the best disruptor.

•••
The next poll will be about the best disruptor.

The less polls the better it seems so. You shouldn't have started this poll in the first place, last one was in Sept or Oct, why the rush?

•••
The less polls the better it seems so. You shouldn't have started this poll in the first place, last one was in Sept or Oct, why the rush?

It was a joke, no last year's poll was July. Moved up this year to make it an annual March Madness theme.

•••
It was a joke, no last year's poll was July. Moved up this year to make it an annual March Madness theme.

Oh my bad, for some reason I remembered being towards the end of the year. Apologies my mistake. Anyway March (from Mars the God of War) is a bad month to run polls. For some strange reason it seems to transform anyone in a true keyword warrior (March Madness anyone?). Perhaps you should have picked a more "chilled out " month :)

•••
Oh my bad, for some reason I remembered being towards the end of the year. Apologies my mistake. Anyway March (from Mars the God of War) is a bad month to run polls. For some strange reason it seems to transform anyone in a true keyword warrior (March Madness anyone?). Perhaps you should have picked a more "chilled out " month :)

like Summer melo july :)

•••

Yeah maybe, especially with all the back and forth by fans of various registrars.

•••
Yeah maybe, especially with all the back and forth by fans of various registrars.

Yeah, try to find out when most of the registrar employees get their vacations then run a poll quickly before they come back :)

•••
Yeah, try to find out when most of the registrar employees get their vacations then run a poll quickly before they come back :)

Yes, well now with it changing to favorite, I would say it makes sense an employee's favorite is their employer.

•••

Interesting how that 3rd party survey poll-maker.com prevents multiple voting:

"We have developed several approaches to combat fraudulent voting including fingerprint technology which ensures each person is only able to vote once."

And the number of Epik votes are around the sames number of employee accounts here, while the leading registrar on that survey has 100 more votes.

•••
Interesting how that 3rd party survey poll-maker.com prevents multiple voting:

"We have developed several approaches to combat fraudulent voting including fingerprint technology which ensures each person is only able to vote once."

And the number of Epik votes are around the sames number of employee accounts here, while the leading registrar on that survey has 100 more votes.

Interestingly enough theres also alot less Dynadot votes too on that. Namesilo is doing much better there. I wish it would give actual number of votes too though.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back