Dynadot

discuss Domainers are scum

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
I found myself in a conversation with an irate client yesterday who wanted one of my domains. He accused me of sitting on a domain his business absolutely had to have in order to succeed. In this case it happened to be a two word .com and the potential client was absolutely livid at my 10k asking price.

I did all my usual, explaining to him the cost of print advertising and how easily he could get to 10k and still not have the value similar to this nice domain. I also told him the cost of acquisition could be written off in his advertising fund therefore becoming 100% tax deductible.

I also told the client that he could simply go and register a two word domain in his chosen extension with little to no problems. To this he answered it was impossible because you bastards have registered them all.

I asked him to pick a famous two word website and he picked NationalEnquirer.com as an example of a website. So I said to him if I had a similar business you could find thousands of good combinations without paying more than a reg fee. In fact I told him he could pick .coms and there would be thousands of combos.

ie..

PeoplesEnquirer.com

I said that by simply combining words there are millions of available domains even in the king .com and all he has to do is to be creative and he can save himself 10k

In the end nothing worked and I was called scum and a son of a bitch.

I simply responded....

That may be but I am the son of a bitch that owns your domain and the price just went up to 12k :meh:

Millions of good Domains left - No Excuses, if you want the domain pay up or register your own, the choice is yours.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No doubt two-word .Com domains which make sense for a commercial application can make good brands. I believe the comparisons to what companies spend on TV, radio, print and online PPC advertising are all valid. Oftentimes companies will hire an advertising agency or web development shop which will charge them five figures or more for their services. But good brandable domains just get overlooked as a means of reaching potential customers. The reluctance to spend more than $100 on a domain name is illogical. But that is the reality.

Then again I believe sprint interval training (non-concrete surface) is one of the best forms of exercise which one can do. Yet I rarely see anyone doing that sort of training.

•••
I have had lots of incoming leads lately. Most are for my short high value names, most are domainer lowball with gmail imposter addresses. Entertaining. But had a funny “devaluation game” played.

So I get a small business inquiry on another good corporate generic name aged from 90’s never used as a website held by a fortune 500 company I bought expired. I like the name, not that interested in selling it really, but if a decent xxxx offer, its gone.

The prospect isnt a University student or other phony front but sounded legit, but I suspected could not afford the name. They kept sending emails, I responded to them. Then start threatening if I don’t sell them the name they will copy it, trademark it and fight me. They said they will simply add something like an X or 1 at the end of the domain to get a reg fee name. I ignored it and laughed.

I requested they make an offer, they refused, but the kept at it. 10 emails more unsolicited over and over. I refused to quote a price as I felt they couldnt afford the name.

So, Finally I did quote a price, now they go silent. I forget about it. I don’t need the money anyway, this is supposed to be fun.

So a month passes, I was reviewing activities and sent out a follow up email to verify if they got the quote. Immediately they say they are still very interested, no mention of my quoted price or any objection, but ask me if I own the net and org.

I reply no, I only value the .com on this one. (Neither were registered before) I then take a look at whois on the other extensions and they were both registered in between our first contact, never before owned. So I believe the prospective buyer went off and regged the org and net. So I laughed again.

Then they send another email stating the price I quoted was “highly devalued” because I only had the .com. I laughed again, and told them I had no interest in the others as this was a commercial only brand name.

They reply offer this low price xxx and I laugh again.

So I plan to resend another quote with a price increase.

Thanks for the reminder to do the same.... you fellow scum, you fellow domain squatter!!! Lol.

•••
Business owner: Why do you have my domain?

Me: If it was your domain you wouldn't have called me.

•••
Some of the world's largest companies sell domains they no longer use. And they certainly don't give them away for free.

I wonder if this person would dare to call these companies scum as well.

•••
I've only had 1 really nasty guy in 15 years of inquiries. Debated with him a little bit and then ignored him once I realized there was no winning with him. I ended up selling that domain to another buyer for 6k more a year later as I'm a passive seller that sticks to my price. Debated emailing him with a "thought my domain was worthless" with an escrow receipt attached but life is short so I took the high road and I let the escrow wire deposit be the only pat on the back victory I need. Guessing he's typed it in and seen the fully developed site on it from the buyer so times up his loss.

Last edited:
•••
The thing is my client truly does want the domain and he will probably begrudgingly come back and pay the money.

Now the only question I have to ask myself is do I enforce the 12k instead of the 10k?

Sometimes things get said in anger and I understand that but I'm kinda torn on this.
Be a dick and insist on 12 or be kind and take 10.

•••
Some people can't be helped and are set in their ways. In a perfect world he would just hit buy it now and be on his way. :whistle:

•••
The thing is my client truly does want the domain and he will probably begrudgingly come back and pay the money.

Now the only question I have to ask myself is do I enforce the 12k instead of the 10k?

Sometimes things get said in anger and I understand that but I'm kinda torn on this.

You're not going to win his gratitude either way. Just do what is best for your own conscience.

•••
There are a few "famous" domainers using gmail to send low-balls and high offers (which are traps of frustration and should never be accepted.) It's quite hilarious to see them waste so much of their own time trying to destroy your confidence, stand tall and don't accept any offers unless you can verify the identity of the person sending you an offer.

Also dealt with an agency out of Michigan/Indiana that was extremely unprofessional this week, in fact the CEO himself sent a response that was surprising. I provided a solid price and he replied "Meet in the middle $100" after sending a $50 offer. Call them out and don't bother educating them. Move on, delete the email all together, but save their IP/Tracking info for future reference.

Last edited:
•••
you call him client, who blasted your entire family? . I may not be much interested in selling him unless he come after begging me to buy it or I am in dire need of money. you don't go explaining once he/she start abusing you. I just ignore entertaining mails once they get it too personal

Last edited:
•••
I've had a few conversations with him and at this time it was a phone conversation. I publish my phone number and encourage clients to call.

Anyone expressing interest gets treated as a client, I try not to disrespect anyone and have learned that tempers can flare when domains are involved. People with businesses sometimes think they are entitled to a particular domain.

I just listen and let the client vent. In the end I have a greater chance of selling if I stay polite and don't stoop to name calling back.

In this case I did say the price has gone up but I have decided to let him have it for the 10k if he is of reasonable tone at the next phone call.

•••

Let him have it for 10 then be dick after you receive payment by signing off with...

"Hmmm now where shall I go on holiday with your money..."

•••
•••
make it 20k and give them a coupon code for 50% off at checkout
ensure they have to manually type in the discount code...
discount code examples "SORRYiwasaJERK", "50off4AHOLES"
you get the idea .... discount code suggestions anyone?

Last edited:
•••
If he "absolutely had to have it", then he would fork over the $10K.

Best of wishes with your sale!

•••
all joking aside I think its best to take the high road and try not to stoop to the level of such folks

•••

raised it again upto 15K :xf.wink:

•••
"potential client" - more like a whining lowballer born after the launch of the Internet.

•••
"potential client" - more like a whining lowballer born after the launch of the Internet.

I treat everyone as a potential client, I remember I made a point to tell someone off on next contact once and to my surprise on next contact he accepted the offer.

You never really know who is on the other end, I will not make a mistake and write someone off just because they are blowing off steam. Sometimes people need the domain and they are horrid negotiators. If I call them a dick and tell them to leave me alone I might just lose a sale. Instead I say, I'm sorry you don't see the value in this great domain yet, feel free to contact me again if you change your mind. I leave the door open and in a number of cases I was very glad I did that because sometimes even the most irate clients end up coming back to take the deal.

•••
I love being called a "Scum" it reminds me that I have something of value here :D

Whiners will whine. You did good on raising the price by 2k.

•••
You can also look at it this way:

- If taken by a domainer, the domain is still available to buy. Hopefully for a fair but realistic market price.
- If taken by a rival company etc, you will maybe have to give ten times more, or buy the entire company.

•••
Millions of good Domains left - No Excuses, if you want the domain pay up or register your own, the choice is yours.
Above quote sums up the story ✌

•••
We are like coin collectors, the initial price for a dollar is a dollar.

But some of them are later on sold for 1000 dollars. Because they are unique. And therefore valuable.

•••
I don't think that makes you scum. It's not different than purchasing real estate in high value areas. If he needed a physical location, for his business it would be no different.

Would I charge the premium? I would be inclined too, he definitely was asking for it. Yet, would I want to upset him even more potentially running off a repeat customer? Granted the guy is already upset to begin with. I guess it all just depends how you view it.. But I don't think there is anything wrong with you raising the price $2k because the guy was an jerk.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back