Domain Empire

discuss Domainers are scum

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
I found myself in a conversation with an irate client yesterday who wanted one of my domains. He accused me of sitting on a domain his business absolutely had to have in order to succeed. In this case it happened to be a two word .com and the potential client was absolutely livid at my 10k asking price.

I did all my usual, explaining to him the cost of print advertising and how easily he could get to 10k and still not have the value similar to this nice domain. I also told him the cost of acquisition could be written off in his advertising fund therefore becoming 100% tax deductible.

I also told the client that he could simply go and register a two word domain in his chosen extension with little to no problems. To this he answered it was impossible because you bastards have registered them all.

I asked him to pick a famous two word website and he picked NationalEnquirer.com as an example of a website. So I said to him if I had a similar business you could find thousands of good combinations without paying more than a reg fee. In fact I told him he could pick .coms and there would be thousands of combos.

ie..

PeoplesEnquirer.com

I said that by simply combining words there are millions of available domains even in the king .com and all he has to do is to be creative and he can save himself 10k

In the end nothing worked and I was called scum and a son of a bitch.

I simply responded....

That may be but I am the son of a bitch that owns your domain and the price just went up to 12k :meh:

Millions of good Domains left - No Excuses, if you want the domain pay up or register your own, the choice is yours.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Update:

Apparently I have gone from scum to potentially being named in a legal conflict!!

Keep all your email correspondence with this moron, as if he actually does something (doubtful, but he just might be stupid enough to), all these legal threats and insults will come back to haunt him.

•••
I would have took the money and ran. That domain name has no value until value is created for it. All the best.

Last edited:
•••
•••
In the 10k range - If you want to make money, 5k or above would be reasonable as long as you are making a profit. It all adds up.

•••
•••
In the 10k range - If you want to make money, 5k or above would be reasonable as long as you are making a profit. It all adds up.

The point is that he seems to have offered $0.00 (and insults for free), which makes your previous "take the money and run" statement kind of weird.

You won't be running too far with that.

Last edited:
•••
10k asking price is what he stated.

•••
10k asking price is what he stated.

And "I would have took the money and ran" is what you stated.

There is no money, there is no running, there is no buyer, just an angry guy blowing off steam with childish insults.

•••
Problem is.... he never did make an actual offer other than insulting my asking price.

I have almost two dozen emails from this jackass, it's like he is trying to wear me down or something.

•••
We have to keep in mind that Godaddy does a lot of cheap domain promos - get your domain for $2.99 for the first year. So the perception is there that domains are throwaway items. During after-Thanksgiving promos one can buy electronics rather cheap. I picked up an Amazon 10" Kindle Fire for $ 100. Cellular services may be $50-$60 monthly. And you want five figures for a &$%#-@(! domain name? While the domain greats tell the newbies that domains are internet real estate it seems the vast majority of small businesses, developers and marketing professionals could care less about branding their business with a memorable keyword-relevant domain name.

•••
I also told him the cost of acquisition could be written off in his advertising fund therefore becoming 100% tax deductible..
A domain name is probably booked as a capitalized cost with depreciation and not a straight deduction.Maybe it's different in Canada but providing bad tax advice is probably not a good idea.

Be a dick and insist on 12 or be kind and take 10.
Is there a big difference between being scum and a dick?

Not all businesses are rolling in cash. I always find it amazing that domainers think they understand the value of a domain to someone else. It's probably not as much as most people think in most cases - there are often far better ways to spend $10K than on a domain.

•••
I think, as a whole, people need more education on what a top-level domain is, where/how the transfer of them goes down, as well as how to find them/where they are on sale. A general lack of information on the whole subject causes situations like this, where a customer can't even understand how to register a domain even after being walked through the process, given comparative examples, and alternate samples is either clearly trolling or has literally no idea how domains work, or that many of the alternate TLDs are established and fully legitimate ways to create a website and have a matching domain name without paying premium prices in the aftermarket (for now anyways, they will get more rare also as people grow in the knowledge that .com is not the literal only way to put a website on the web) but who knows, just my opinion.

Did write an article recently about this issue, for anyone wanting to see it, at my blog the other day https://praf.net

•••
Maybe it's different in Canada but providing bad tax advice is probably not a good idea.
Right. In different countries tax organs look at domains differently. But i assume the said domain might be in .ca so the "buyer" is also from Canada.

•••
My accountant (in Canada) sticks my main business domain into the advertising account. As long as it is not higher than 10k.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back