Dynadot

How to negotiate with buyer that won't make an offer

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

TampaDomains

Established Member
Impact
So I have a good geo domain for local plastic surgeons. I sent out some emails and only got 1 response back.
I stated $495 in the email, he emails and says he is interested but the price is too high for him, can I come off the price.

lol, its always the people with the most money that wan't to negotiate the hardest.

I respond that its a fair price and that he is making $1000's from each new client and this domain will be working for him 24/7 to get him new clients.

He responds the price is too high for him and if i can't sell it then get back to him for further discussion.

He has a very successful office with lots of 5/5 reviews so he is making serious bank but crying about price when he could be making $1000's with new clients instead of wasting time. Also I have email tracking and he looked at the original email about 8 times through out the day, so he is for sure interested.

I email back that I could lease it to him for $75 a month and he responds that he would only want to buy it.

What is my play from here?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I just sent out a 2nd round of emails to the people who didn't open the 1st round. All though some still did and it will show they didn't if they have block on images.

If I get no inquires in a few days I will email back the guy and ask him what his offer is.
I guarantee is will be something ridic like $150 and I will counter and he will say no.

That is the vibe I get from him. But like I say I still have 11 months before renewal. I just like to make some sales every month. I have plenty of others to be working, so not big deal.

•••
From everything you said so far, figure out the least you will take then send it to him and say that is the lowest you can go and the best you can do...also I wanted to let you know that I am currently contacting other potential buyers for the name (will be sold first come, first served), take care.

•••
I am much happier selling 5 or 10 a month at $350 and profiting every month than putting up crazy prices and selling 1 a year and losing money every month.

I always offer to split the $25 escrow with them and nobody ever said a word about it, that was fine with them.

I would rather sell 2 a month at 3k. I do much more than that. But your dealing with plastic surg they make 5k off a simple tuck, Going from C to Double DD 5 to 10k. But do what works for you.

•••
Sounds like you should move on to the next potential end user and thank him for his time given.

•••
"Mr. Customer, I completely understand that you would like a discount. It's evidence that you are completely normal, everyone I speak with wants a discount. For all of the domains I have ever sold no one has never told me they paid to much.

The fact is that this domain has already been discounted. I'm certainly not one of those professional domain brokers that commands thousands of dollars for a name... What dollar amount gets this done today?"

•••
Research and find his top 3 biggest competition

create a simple page that lists them and shows some of the positive reviews you see on review sites, make this page the homepage of the domain

email him and tell him:

Hi

As you can see, I started developing the site into a guide for people in [geo] area, after all, the term gets [search a month] and figured it can gradually be built up and potentially make more money a month from google adwords than selling the domain for peanuts.

Thanks for your interest.

Do not play nice with these savages, it is a mistake too many make. Sure he might not reply, he might even get mad, but don't care. If you do the above you will not just up the chances of selling it to him, you will up the chance of selling it to others quickly. Take the few minutes and build that page, its one page, you might be very surprised.

•••
I don't think you should ever comment to the prospective buyer about how much money they make. The value of a domain is the value of a domain, and you shouldn't make it seam like you're looking to get more for it because of their success. You should send your emails out with an asking price a bit higher than what you want to get out of it, and be willing to negotiate the price within reason. If it were me, I would have replied to him the first time saying I could go down to $395 and make a few positive comments about the value of the domain. Always keep the negotiation positive. If your sending the emails, you should name the price, not expect them to.

•••
Quote them and wait.
No need to follow up they are kicking tires.

•••
I don't think you should ever comment to the prospective buyer about how much money they make. The value of a domain is the value of a domain, and you shouldn't make it seam like you're looking to get more for it because of their success. You should send your emails out with an asking price a bit higher than what you want to get out of it, and be willing to negotiate the price within reason. If it were me, I would have replied to him the first time saying I could go down to $395 and make a few positive comments about the value of the domain. Always keep the negotiation positive. If your sending the emails, you should name the price, not expect them to.

Totally agree with this. Imagine walking into a shop and they want more from you because they know you earn good money. It's a huge mistake to treat potential buyers like that.

•••
I exactly know how to negotiate with him.

Step 1: Stop negotiating.
Step 2: Move on with other domain names of yours.
==== Some shit gets shady now ====
Step 3: Change the whois to someone else or get a privacy for domain name. Just transfer it to namecheap.
Step 4: Contact him 6 months later down the line and tell him you have it for sale at 1500 and if he says it is too high just tell him you can sell it to him at your purchase price which was $495. (Some suckers buy it for 1500 too :D because now they feel bit threatened that there is someone else also looking to buy same domain and it has already been sold previously for $495 six months ago.)

If he is still not interested. Get online and make 150 USD somehow. Renew that domain name for next 20 years and keep it aside. When you get another email for that domain you have a factory that creates levers so you will have all leverage that you need. (Only applies if you are 100% sure that he will come back begging to you, otherwise don't bother with this and you were actually wrong in first place to contact him. So just take whatever he is offering and move on)

For example: I have a potential buyer for one of my domain name on sedo. :D Which is a joke by the way with their 90 USD offers. Where they take 60. LOL.

Anyway he gets unbelievable prices and comments from me and yet he is increasing the offers by $1 per week. Thinking I might get tired somehow and sell it to him. I am increasing or decreasing the offers in 100,000 USD ranges :D Just for fun.

Now someone would say it is a waste of time. But no. It isn't it just shows how many previous offers this domain name has received and I am just accumulating those points.

So you have to think out the factory that produces the boxes. I have some other plans too but as mentioned above after 2nd or 3rd step it is grey areas :D So lets keep the talks ethical.

And if you ever move on to your next potential customer or just drop this domain name. I would really advice you not to thank this guy.

P.S. If you still want to have one last go at this guy but don't want to email him thinking that you will lose the leverage. Then just tell him that you were out of the city and were just taking your weekly vacation on the beach with your Slavic Girlfriend and your Nigerian bodyguard. See how it goes then. :)

Last edited:
•••
Your asking price $495 is more than reasonable, even if this name is full crap. I would say- if name was so bad, buyer never wanted it. People prefer to save money, even if they rich, that is why he is writing you all the time "price is too high".
I would responce $450 is your lowest price which you could accept, strictly non negotiable, and that you are not in hurry to sell it and send him link to buy- for example Paypal invoice to pay for this name and wait. Say that this offer valid 3 days.

•••
Have you ever been to a non-retail store, and got quoted really high for an item that you are not THAT interested in? (flea market, or random dealer) ... and they keep persisting you buy the item ... and they lower the price significantly?

Thats what you're doing. You just seem shady, and potentially annoying. I can't stand businessmen like that. You are ready to easily drop the price so much, so that means that you initially thought that I was some sucker ready to pay your high price for an item that I am not even that interested in.

Just leave it alone and move on. Let him recontact you. Does he even have a lot of domain names for his business?

•••
easy , ill write it once ...
if you really need the sale/ have a bottom price you would be happy to sell it for then do something like that.
hello _______ i checked it , and i think i can sale it for (put 2 numbers ,one of them is your bottom line ).
then write about the platform for making the deal , or having him to pay escrow because the price is already too low.
1) make him choose between 2 options, people like to have choices, even if its about obvious choices.
2)changing topic after he has chosen a number.

---- hello john , ive checked it an i think im able to sale it for about 300-350 $

---- add paypal details + option for escrow but buyer pays the fees as the price is becoming to low

cheers!

•••
its not about the price , its always about how you pitch it and make him feel about the price ;)

•••
Build value, explain benefits and investment. Don't drop your price, justify it.

If you have been in contact with him, try to get them on the phone. Build rapport, crack a joke, make a friend and make your prospect feel warm/fuzzy about the name/sale.

Pitch em high and watch em buy. Come down slow and they won't say no!

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back