IT.COM

Does the page load time of a landing page impact the number of inbound offers you get?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
The short answer is – yes. As with most things in life, people are busy and the amount of time someone has to wait directly relates to sales. In the apparel world retailers see this happen in-store all the time, long lines at dressing rooms usually means less sales or less items purchased on average. On a website it means less conversions, and when it comes to getting inbound offers on domain names it means, well, less offers.

Morgan Linton did a test :

efty-pageload-times-768x214.png

I am interested to see how the number of inbound offers changes as the page load time goes up. Right now I’ve seen inbounds drop by around 50%

If you’re making your own landing pages, make sure to host them on a fast server and avoid fancy landing pages full of Javascript and large images because at the end of the day, the faster it loads, the more inbound offers you’re likely to get.

Source

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just use CloudFlare for your real working services.
If domain at parking - speed slow.

Screenshot_3.png

•••
End users tend to type the name they want to buy in their browser so yes I think that a slow loading landing page could definitely have an impact on the buying process.

I think speed in this case could win over the professional ( or not ) look of the landing page.

The slowness of Efty landings is one of the main reason I am unsure whether to remain with them or not

•••
I'm about to remove the full page image on wise accountant because of this.

•••
splittesting is an art

so are you sure that a potential buyer of the name he wants for his business
will not buy that name when the page loading speed is anoying?

I am positiv he will not care

but there are names that can be easily replaced by others
so here it might matter

I did not use efty
as their page loading time was ridiculously

but
did you really splittest the same landing page on the same domain
and count the inbound offers?

and if that domain gets so many inbound offers
why don't you sell it????

----
so many fake news
you really need to ask and ask again
can this be true??

Last edited:
•••
•••
Just use CloudFlare for your real working services.
If domain at parking - speed slow.

Show attachment 65780

dns service providers promise you the world in terms of
speed enhancement

I think thats BS

get a faster dedicated server
and handcode your landing page
and optimise it for speed
will do much more for your overall speed

•••
I'm surprised this is actually a problem in 2017.

•••
I optimized mine long ago. 8.48 seconds... dear lord! Here are my results.

Custom fonts, nice background image, and eMail address.

wOhXzZi.png

•••
Definitely think it matters as all da features in the world kinda turn pointless when the most important feature a quick loading sales lander takes many seconds to load. #1 reason I didn't continue my Efty trail is due to loading time which sucks cause they seem like nice guys with a nice product but with it loading like someone stole their servers overnight and threw it on a shared account :ROFL: gotta stick with my own servers for the time being anyway.

Using Pingdom my sales pages get...

Performance grade A 92
Load time 1.07 s
Faster than 88 % of tested sites
Page size 542.9 kB

Using Google my sales pages get...

Good

88 / 100

This is with google analytics, google recaptcha and a full size background image being used..

•••
Hi everyone, quick update from the Efty team here. We've been really hard at work these last few days to push several big changes live which should result in much-improved load times for your landing pages. I invite everyone to test this for themselves (with their own or another Efty user his domains) but as an example, the domain name as used in the example by Morgan (www.slicecapital.com) gives back a load time of 3.27 s after the updates we just pushed live.

upload_2017-8-2_13-25-48.png

We will keep monitoring the performance like a hawk during the next few days. The load time of your landing pages has our highest priority.

Last edited:
•••
I invite everyone to test this for themselves (with their own or another Efty user his domains) but as an example, the domain name as used in the example by Morgan (www.slicecapital.com) gives back a load time of 3.27 s after the updates we just pushed live.

Thanks for that Doron but with all respect due a page that only has some text, 1 form and a background image should load in less than 1/3 of that time.

It does it with WP that is not the lightest ( with decent hosting of course ) how is it possible that it does not happen with Efty's?

•••
You want to be under 2s. A given percentage of users abandon a page at each level of loading time - they just never see your wonderful page, end of story.

•••
dns service providers promise you the world in terms of
speed enhancement

I think thats BS

get a faster dedicated server
and handcode your landing page
and optimise it for speed
will do much more for your overall speed
Do you know how?

•••
Thanks for that Doron but with all respect due a page that only has some text, 1 form and a background image should load in less than 1/3 of that time.

It does it with WP that is not the lightest ( with decent hosting of course ) how is it possible that it does not happen with Efty's?

The feedback I am getting now is that our pages load in an instant. That's why I urge everyone to test it for themselves (just go to one of your own landing pages and see if you're happy with how quickly the page loads or not). The Pingdom screenshot is simply to illustrate the improvement compared to a couple of days ago.

•••
The feedback I am getting now is that our pages load in an instant. That's why I urge everyone to test it for themselves (just go to one of your own landing pages and see if you're happy with how quickly the page loads or not). The Pingdom screenshot is simply to illustrate the improvement compared to a couple of days ago.

Alright, I have tried with 3 different domains which I had never tested efty with before and the results are much much better.
The first domain loaded almost instantly then it seemed the performance decreased with the 2nd and then worse again with the 3rd.
Overall though a serious improvement

•••
I tested with a custom background and I get good times.

thescarf.PNG

Link

•••
It matters if you have advertising on your landing page.

•••
•••
all you need is a dedicated server

I have extensive use of scripts
-like language detection - and using VAT or not
having price set at a certain range or none-
and a large video background

http://fore.de

server is in germany

I d rather have it faster

does somebody know how best to compress a mp4 video?

from stockholm ( europe )
upload_2017-8-2_10-41-55.png

from Dallas:
upload_2017-8-2_10-42-7.png

Last edited:
•••
https://gtmetrix.com/ is pretty good for checking loading times. It gives a very comprehensive report, itemizing areas where improvement can be made.

I think for SEO purposes the faster the better, and yes, images are one of the main reasons for slow loading.

I've worked on speeding my own site up, and the gtmetrix test shows it's now loading nice and fast.

•••
People have to consider location for all these, and their own, tests. If you are nearer to the Efty servers (Hong Kong) then you will see faster response times. Similar, DNS server running in Germany may be lightning-fast for users in Germany, but what about users half-way around the globe.

@Doron Vermaat you could also look at using hosted versions of jquery so that you're not loading them for each domain. The other thing that will likely make a difference is to optimise the background images. These account for a good % of the delivery overhead.

•••
People have to consider location for all these, and their own, tests. If you are nearer to the Efty servers (Hong Kong) then you will see faster response times. Similar, DNS server running in Germany may be lightning-fast for users in Germany, but what about users half-way around the globe.

@Doron Vermaat you could also look at using hosted versions of jquery so that you're not loading them for each domain. The other thing that will likely make a difference is to optimise the background images. These account for a good % of the delivery overhead.

I agree with both points.

I am in Europe so not that close to HK and yes, allowing only lighter images as a background would help.
The max uploadable size ( for the custom background landing ) is 1MB which is HEAVY A LOT and a well known no no for websites ( speaking about wp here )

A "smushing" kind of thing should be applied to images while uploaded

•••
DNS server running in Germany may be lightning-fast for users in Germany, but what about users half-way around the globe.

a nameserver simply stores the IP of the Server where you host your files
this information is then spread throughout the internet and stored in many many other servers

this information gets updated when you change nameservers
as then this information needs to be populated across the net

thats why it can take very long like 2 days to show

what may speed up the external nameservers like dyn or cloudflare is a cache version
of my page

but I don't want that cache as I show different content to different users

•••

I really can't see a good reason to store files on a server in hongkong
if most of the customers are in US or germany

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back