IT.COM

advice Domain Landing Page Tools

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Nazz

Top Member
Impact
Heey !

Need some advice regarding setting up some landing pages for end users to look at. I'm aware of what needs to be posted up on the page, though, I just need a push in the right direction.

I need to create about 5 landing pages via a format other than wordpress, as wordpress installation on each domain would complicate things as my hosting server would go into overdrive.

Ive read up a few things about HTML landing pages which apparently proves to be good.. I have no knowledge when it comes to coding.. Are there some tools to for beginners like me to help me out with setting up HTML landing pages.. Or can someone suggest me another way that will be efficient and time saving when setting one up.

Open to suggestions, appreciate the help.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Wordpress gives you the ability to do both things simultaneously. You can have a main page with a searchable list of your domains plus individual pages for each domain. The individual pages can then be accessed either directly when entering the various domain names in the browser, or by clicking the domain name on your main list. That way someone that ends up on one of your landing pages can either fill in a price request form from that individual landing page or they can navigate from that page to your main list and view the other domains that you have available.

I " sort of " understand what you are saying as I am getting familiar with WP; what I am not getting is how you would point every single name to its own page, on the backend I mean. Would you do it for example from your GD account?

•••
@discobull Are you able to recommend us a template that will cater to our needs?

I don't know of anything that meets my own standards out of the box, but the closest thing I've come across is a theme that you can pick up for just $50. I've never used it myself but it looks likes a good starting point from which to build on.

Here's their demo site:

http://www.domaister.com/

If you click on the individual domains, you'll see the landing pages they've created. They need sprucing up and the addition of a price request form, but I suspect that that would not be that difficult to do for someone familiar with wordpress.

Here's where to buy it:

http://www.scriptinglab.com/

To be clear, I have no affiliation with them and am not in any way vouching for them. You'll have to do your own due diligence...

•••
Cheers. I will look into it shortly.

•••
I " sort of " understand what you are saying as I am getting familiar with WP; what I am not getting is how you would point every single name to its own page, on the backend I mean. Would you do it for example from your GD account?

That's one way to do it although I've found GD's forwarding to be quite unreliable.

As I recall, there's a free wordpress redirection plugin available that does the technical work for you in case you don't want to rely on GD.

•••

Forwarding should work. Back in the day that's what I did, when I didn't know what I was doing.

Let's say you have a site selling your domains called yoursite.com. One domain you're selling is falconsrule.com. You make a page or post for that domain. So it's yoursite.com/falconsrule

Then go into GoDaddy to forwarding and forward falconsrules.com to yoursite.com/falconsrule

I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this myself, because one day I might get around to making such a site to sell my domains.

Last edited:
•••
Thank you @discobull & @JB Lions .

I don't know of anything that meets my own standards out of the box, but the closest thing I've come across is a theme that you can pick up for just $50. I've never used it myself but it looks likes a good starting point from which to build on.

Here's their demo site:

http://www.domaister.com/

If you click on the individual domains, you'll see the landing pages they've created. They need sprucing up and the addition of a price request form, but I suspect that that would not be that difficult to do for someone familiar with wordpress.

Here's where to buy it:

http://www.scriptinglab.com/

To be clear, I have no affiliation with them and am not in any way vouching for them. You'll have to do your own due diligence...

As for the theme I think that any nice agency / portfolio theme should do the job

•••
Forwarding should work. Back in the day that's what I did, when I didn't know what I was doing.

Let's say you have a site selling your domains called yoursite.com. One domain you're selling is falconsrule.com. You make a page or post for that domain. So it's yoursite.com/falconsrule

Then go into GoDaddy to forwarding and forward falconsrules.com to yoursite.com/falconsrule

I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this myself, because one day I might get around to making such a site to sell my domains.

I used to do the same until I realized how sucky GD's forwarding service is. Because they have a paid nameserver service, their free nameservers ( ie the ones used for free forwarding ) are allowed to be overtaxed which means that a percentage of people trying to get to your domains get webpage unavailable errors without you ever knowing about it. Google godaddy nameservers and you'll find this problem widely reported.

•••
I used to do the same until I realized how sucky GD's forwarding service is. Because they have a paid nameserver service, their free nameservers ( ie the ones used for free forwarding ) are allowed to be overtaxed which means that a percentage of people trying to get to your domains get webpage unavailable errors without you ever knowing about it. Google godaddy nameservers and you'll find this problem widely reported.

I would have to try it out plus try out some redirection plugins to see.

Is there anybody here that currently has a setup up and running?

My plan is Wordpress, pick a theme. Will have categories and such and 1 page per domain. I want people to go that page when they type in that domain. Need to figure out the best way to get them there.

I used forwarding way back in the day when I first started using some registrar that probably doesn't even exist anymore and it worked fine.

•••
I would suggest having a landing page for every domain where people can type in offers etc.
It is also a good idea catching their emails...

•••
For those who don't write code and/or think WordPress is difficult, you might take a look at Weebly.com. It would work well as your central site with pages to which you are redirecting your domains. It is all drag and drop and you can make decent looking sites with it. WealthWithWebsites.com is a very out of date site I made with Weebly. I used it, not very successfully, to direct visitors to placeholder sites.

•••
What would you want in your landing page. If its just a simple for sale site with a contact form, I could edit one for you.

I would have to try it out plus try out some redirection plugins to see.

Is there anybody here that currently has a setup up and running?

My plan is Wordpress, pick a theme. Will have categories and such and 1 page per domain. I want people to go that page when they type in that domain. Need to figure out the best way to get them there.

I used forwarding way back in the day when I first started using some registrar that probably doesn't even exist anymore and it worked fine.

Check my signature. Is this is the kind of site you are referring to?
Type oqor.com and it will go to the domain landing page.

•••

It occurred to me that I forgot to mention the obvious fact that the scheme I'm describing is basically what sites like brandbucket ( they use drupal ), brandroot ( joomla ), etc. do. Their front pages use a portfolio layout, but it could just as easily be a table or list or whatever else you want.

•••
You could have a simple for sale landing page with a contact form.
eg: suntan.biz
If you own many domains and would like to showcase your portfolio. There is a script that is also owned by an NP'er @stub called DNS Portfolio. http://www.dnsportfolio.com.
It is also free and this is what I use to showcase my domains like the site in my signature.

•••
Thank you for the promo, but that link doesn't look anything like my script? Just so people know. But I am actively working on a responsive layout for my script.

•••
Yeah. I changed the layout and added a few things here and there.

•••
You did an excellent job, imho.

•••
I think Wordpress is overkill for what needs to be accomplished here. The problem with Wordpress is that each install puts X amount of files on your server and uses around 12 database tables. All "unlimited" shared hosting plans put a cap on the file count you can have, which is usually around 100,000 and they also put a limit on how many DB tables you can have, around 1,000. So if you're installing 100's or thousands of WP installs, you're going to have problems.

Why do you need Wordpress if all you want is a one page contact form?

What I want in a domain name landing page is something that is automated, meaning I do nothing at my web host (no WP installs, no manually adding another domain to the list on my site), the only thing I do is change the forwarding at my registrar.

I know some of you have said you don't like to use forwarding, but here is what I'm currently making:

I am working on a 1 page script that does everything. Here is how it will work:

It will be one PHP file (the homepage, index.php) that is on MakeOfferPage.com (any domain you want to use)

When you buy a domain, you forward the domain through GoDaddy to: MakeOfferPage.com/?for=NewDomain.com

So when you go to NewDomain.com it will take you to MakeOfferPage.com/?for=NewDomain.com

When you land on that page, it will carry over the domain name in the URL and the page will display a unique sales page for that domain name. You don't have to create any new pages.

There will be a contact form to make an offer and when they submit an offer, you know what domain name it is for.

When I am done with it I will offer it to anyone who wants it here for free

Last edited:
•••
I think Wordpress is overkill for what needs to be accomplished here. The problem with Wordpress is that each install puts X amount of files on your server and uses around 12 database tables. All "unlimited" shared hosting plans put a cap on the file count you can have, which is usually around 100,000 and they also put a limit on how many DB tables you can have, around 1,000. So if you're installing 100's or thousands of WP installs, you're going to have problems.

Why do you need Wordpress if all you want is a one page contact form?

What I want in a domain name landing page is something that is automated, meaning I do nothing at my web host (no WP installs, no manually adding another domain to the list on my site), the only thing I do is change the forwarding at my registrar.

I know some of you have said you don't like to use forwarding, but here is what I'm currently making:

I am working on a 1 page script that does everything. Here is how it will work:

It will be one PHP file (the homepage, index.php) that is on MakeOfferPage.com (any domain you want to use)

When you buy a domain, you forward the domain through GoDaddy to: MakeOfferPage.com/?for=NewDomain.com

So when you go to NewDomain.com it will take you to MakeOfferPage.com/?for=NewDomain.com

When you land on that page, it will carry over the domain name in the URL and the page will display a unique sales page for that domain name. You don't have to create any new pages.

There will be a contact form to make an offer and when they submit an offer, you know what domain name it is for.

When I am done with it I will offer it to anyone who wants it here for free

Add me to that list and thank you.

•••

Exactly my point, well said. On another note, definitely taking you up on your offer :)

•••
@dncafe - I already have a couple of scripts that do that. But I'm hopeless at designing the landing page. So count me in for a copy.

•••
@dncafe - I already have a couple of scripts that do that. But I'm hopeless at designing the landing page. So count me in for a copy.

Maybe I can help with the landing page, what exactly are you looking for?

•••
•••
•••
•••
Are any of these "Responsive" meaning it's made for desktop and mobile???
Unless I missed something I didn't see it mentioned on either.

First one is responsive ONE....second I personally not tested whether its for mobile and tablet also..

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back