Dynadot

Daniel Negari is outright lies about Rick Schwartz aka The Domain King. To sell .XYZ .crap!

NameSilo
Watch

J.R.

Established Member
Impact
schwartz calls out Negari lies 3-28-2023 8-27-09 AM.png

This man (Daniel Negari) has no character. He has no soul. He has no morals. If he’s your friend, it doesn’t say much about you. Remember that! If you’re his friend, it doesn’t say much about you. It means you’re probably a lying piece of shit too. ~ Rick Schwartz, 28 March 2023

I don't trust anything associated with Daniel Negari nor XYZ, since the exposure of the $1.5M FTC settlement for deceptive practices and selling customer data to robocallers, spammers and fraudsters.

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/new...ns-millions-consumers-indiscriminately-shared

How anyone still supports Negari is beyond me,

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I'm still trying figure out why folk here said seller sexxyz made profit selling at 5k 2months after regging.it for 13k fee hehrhe

•••
Show attachment 234636

I don't trust anything associated with Daniel Negari nor XYZ, since the exposure of the $1.5M FTC settlement for deceptive practices and selling customer data to robocallers, spammers and fraudsters.

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/new...ns-millions-consumers-indiscriminately-shared

How anyone still supports Negari is beyond me,
I agree with Rick on this.

It is pretty sleazy to try to use someone's prominent name in the field as some type of tacit endorsement of your product.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
The source material is 9 years old. Why is Rick having a conniption about it today?

Wasn‘t there a time he invested in mobi or some other crappy extension? The foul language just takes any credibility away. There’s a way to say things without going wacko.

•••
The source material is 9 years old. Why is Rick having a conniption about it today?

Wasn‘t there a time he invested in mobi or some other crappy extension? The foul language just takes any credibility away. There’s a way to say things without going wacko.
He said he just noticed it.

I would be pretty annoyed in the same type of situation, no matter when I noticed it.

Though, I probably would not use the same language.

Brad

Last edited:
•••

I would be pretty annoyed in the same type of situation, no matter when I noticed it.

Though, I probably would not use the same language.

Brad
Brad you are a class act. Never even saw a single expletive from you. I am not saying he doesn’t have a right to be pissed. Saying the delivery is brutal.

The article didn’t say he invested in xyz’s specifically but yeah its at least rather misleading to say he has a huge amount of New Gtlds in his portfolio which I doubt being he is a com absolutist.

•••
Brad you are a class act. Never even saw a single expletive from you. I am not saying he doesn’t have a right to be pissed. Saying the delivery is brutal.
I do use them from time to time, but mainly to emphasize a point.

The article didn’t say he invested in xyz’s specifically but yeah its at least rather misleading to say he has a huge amount of New Gtlds in his portfolio which I doubt being he is a com absolutist.
Rick's opinions on new extensions are pretty well known.

That statement was designed in a misleading manner IMO.

Brad

•••

The funny thing about this is the article is from 2014, but only a year later from Daniel -

https://ceo.xyz/we-end-the-alphabet-with-xyz-we-end-domain-names-the-same-way/

JOIN THE MOVEMENT
…or be left in the dust with Rick Schwartz and the other haters who are stuck in the past. Let’s come back to reality. The gravy train is over. It’s time to bring back affordability and choice to internet users worldwide with .xyz.

Credit to @GeorgeK for finding that comment.

The comment is also pretty funny using the term "affordability" as the registry later added premium registration/renewals that cost thousands a year. :facepalm:

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Wasn‘t there a time he invested in mobi or some other crappy extension?
Yes, Rick featured .mobi extensively at one of the T.R.A.F.F.I.C. conferences, and ostensibly spent $200k to buy flowers.mobi at the auction held at that conference. He had a significant portfolio of new gTLD names:

https://www.ricksblog.com/2007/11/the-real-story/

So I decided that flowers.mobi was the prize. However I was interested in many of the other .mobi's because I wanted a stake in some of the best premium domains. If I am going to invest in a risky new extension, I am going to do my best to get domains I believe have the best balance of price and future.

So quietly I bought Laugh.mobi for $3k, celebs.mobi for $2250 and a few others like eat.mobi. early in the auction for about 8k. Then wow.mobi for $9k, gossip.mobi for $5k, Fun.mobi came up. I had also wanted that as well. When it hit $95 or $100k I dropped out. I also tried to buy party.mobi.

Does someone have a link to the old article in question?

•••
Why Rick and other top domainers use Twitter, if they have so great domains in their portfolio?
If I had such great top COM's I would started my own Twitter, this shows us how much they believe in the power of their own domains.

•••
This one? - https://ceo.xyz/believe/

Under this section:

A few shout outs
Frank Schilling – I admire you a great deal – you are one of the most progressive CEO’s I know. Keep up the great work.

Rick Schwartz – I admire you as well, you went from being totally against new gTLDs to having one of the largest new gTLD portfolios. Interesting how perspectives change.

Morgan Linton – you get it. Everyone should closely observe up-and-comers like Morgan as a model for success. I am calling him out as one of the next great entrepreneurs.

Andrew Rosener – check. The future is in believers. Your future is in your control.

Mike Berkens – A reformed believer, I see you buying new gTLDs. I think you are wise and I admire you.

•••
Last edited:
•••
This one? - https://ceo.xyz/believe/

Under this section:

That's June 9, 2014.

A few days earlier:

----------
https://www.thedomains.com/2014/05/...tz-now-owns-more-new-gtlds-domains-than-i-do/

Shocker: Rick Schwartz Now Owns More New gTLD’s Domains Than I Do

May 31, 2014 by Michael Berkens

Mr. Schwartz who is a fellow Domain Sherpa, told the attendees at TRAFFIC that he went on a buying binge of new gTLD’s while in Las Vegas this week and now has over 500 new gTLD domain registrations.
--------------

So Rick is upset because, in 2014, Negari pointed out that Rick said he has over 500 new gTLD names?

Is he also going after Berkens over nine year old stuff?

•••
And then, a little while after that.....

https://www.ricksblog.com/2014/06/interview-daniel-negari-addressing-inflated-xyz-registrations/

I had a near 2 hour phone call late yesterday with Daniel Negari. He gave a heartfelt apology to some words he regrets he wrote to/about me. I was surprised at the words given Daniel was on my chatboard years ago (he was a teenager at the time) and we never had any issues so I accepted his apology.

I guess the apology/acceptance expired, now that it's 2014 nostalgia week.

When I have to go back nine years to find something to get upset about, remind me of how little I have to get upset about.

Last edited:
•••
That's June 9, 2014.

A few days earlier:

----------
https://www.thedomains.com/2014/05/...tz-now-owns-more-new-gtlds-domains-than-i-do/

Shocker: Rick Schwartz Now Owns More New gTLD’s Domains Than I Do

May 31, 2014 by Michael Berkens

Mr. Schwartz who is a fellow Domain Sherpa, told the attendees at TRAFFIC that he went on a buying binge of new gTLD’s while in Las Vegas this week and now has over 500 new gTLD domain registrations.
--------------

So Rick is upset because, in 2014, Negari pointed out that Rick said he has over 500 new gTLD names?

Is he also going after Berkens over nine year old stuff?
That was one of my points above about his mobi experiment— if he had 500 then the 9 year old article was factually correct at the time written. Some Negari hater dredged it up to upset him.

•••
That was one of my points above about his mobi experiment— if he had 500 then the 9 year old article was factually correct at the time written. Some Negari hater dredged it up to upset him.

Yep.

Pretty weird, since it's all based on Rick's own announcement that he had 500 new gTLD names. At that point in 2014, that would have been one of the largest publicly-identified portfolios (aside from LinkZ).

It's also worth mentioning that .xyz had not even launched at that time.

.xyz launched public registrations on June 2, 2014, so the number of .xyz names that Rick would have had when he said he had 500 new gTLD names would have been zero. Duh.

Last edited:
•••
It is pretty sleazy to try to use someone's prominent name in the field as some type of tacit endorsement of your product.

There was no product to endorse. In May 2014, when Rick announced his 500 domain portfolio of new gTLD names, .xyz was not available for public registration.

Negari's statement was simply re-stating what Rick had announced and which was already published on Mike Berken's blog a few days earlier.

Is Rick now demanding that he retract his own statement and apologize to himself?

Last edited:
•••
There was no product to endorse. In May 2014, when Rick announced his 500 domain portfolio of new gTLD names, .xyz was not available for public registration.

Negari's statement was simply re-stating what Rick had announced and which was already published on Mike Berken's blog a few days earlier.

Is Rick now demanding that he retract his own statement and apologize to himself?
I’d argue that you can be against something from an investment standpoint but still invest. Rick can afford to buy 500 junk tlds in hopes of hitting the lotto but still understand that these are garbage in totality.

•••
I’d argue that you can be against something from an investment standpoint but still invest. Rick can afford to buy 500 junk tlds in hopes of hitting the lotto but still understand that these are garbage in totality.

So?

It does not change the fact that in May 2014, .xyz had not even launched, and Rick was saying he had 500 new g names. It was a factual statement.

I guess I just don't get the drama over a nine year old blog post, particularly after Rick already said he'd accepted Negari's apology for whatever it was he was pissed off about back in June 2014.

He had a long discussion about it in the comments on Berken's blog at the time, as you can see from the link to Berken's 2014 post on Rick's new gTLD names I posted above.

•••
Thanks for sharing that information @jberryhill. It provides a little more clarity.

Brad

•••
Yes, Rick featured .mobi extensively at one of the T.R.A.F.F.I.C. conferences, and ostensibly spent $200k to buy flowers.mobi at the auction held at that conference. He had a significant portfolio of new gTLD names:

https://www.ricksblog.com/2007/11/the-real-story/

So I decided that flowers.mobi was the prize. However I was interested in many of the other .mobi's because I wanted a stake in some of the best premium domains. If I am going to invest in a risky new extension, I am going to do my best to get domains I believe have the best balance of price and future.

So quietly I bought Laugh.mobi for $3k, celebs.mobi for $2250 and a few others like eat.mobi. early in the auction for about 8k. Then wow.mobi for $9k, gossip.mobi for $5k, Fun.mobi came up. I had also wanted that as well. When it hit $95 or $100k I dropped out. I also tried to buy party.mobi.

.Mobi was 6 or 8 YEARS before the first round of gTLD's. 2006 or 2007
It was a single release. I LEARNED!! It cost me a lot of $$ to LEARN!!
NOTHING to do with 2013 and 2014 gTLD's whatsoever!!
I sold it for a LOSS in 2010!!
YOU know better!!
I have written extensively on gTLD's and why they have little to no value.

Defend the indefensible!!!
But you are on the gravy train that makes money from these gTLD operators regardless of their ethics or tactics!!

YOU know what he did was wrong!!
Don't stand there and defend it John!
It reflects badly on YOU!!

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
It's not clarity at all.
It's actually misleading.
What else would you expect from a lawyer!
It's YEARS before the first round of gTLD's.
I meant clarity on the back and forth with Daniel Negari, not the .mobi part.

I am not really sure what .mobi has to do with anything. In retrospect it was a bad investment, but it was highly speculative so it can happen.

It was not part of the new gTLD program and not really that relevant to this discussion in my view.

Why not post Schwartz vs Schilling from 2013??
THAT would be accurate!!

Team Schwartz vs. Team Schilling. LIVE From T.R.A.F.F.I.C. Video Part 1​

https://www.ricksblog.com/2013/10/team-schwartz-vs-team-schilling-traffic-video-part-1/

It was covered by DNJournal also -

https://www.dnjournal.com/archive/lowdown/2013/dailyposts/20131031.htm

Brad

Last edited:
•••
But you are on the gravy train that makes money from these gTLD operators regardless of their ethics or tactics!!

That's news to me.

Do tell.

I am not retained or engaged by any gTLD registry, including .xyz or Negari in any capacity whatsoever. My engagement with Uniregistry ended when the Name Administration business component was sold to GoDaddy. I am currently engaged to represent the Tucows registrar in two pieces of litigation having nothing to do with new gTLDs and I do patent work for their Ting division.

So, go ahead, Rick, tell me about this "gravy train" I'm on.

The fact of the matter is that in May 2014, YOU said you had 500 new g names. That's on Berken's blog. A few days after that, Negari mentioned you had those names. Nine years later, you decided to pitch a hissy fit over it. My goodness, I can't wait until you catch up with 2015! Did you accidentally set your clock back nine years last week?

But, go ahead, tell me about this "gravy train" I'm on. It's sad that you have to make stuff up.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back