Dynadot

Dan.com stole my $

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ksusha64

Top Member
Impact
Dan.com accepted the $ for the domain they knew they did not have. I have proof they didn't have that domain and accepted money anyway. They refunded $4,000 short for the name. They are breaking the law by not keeping your $ in secure escrow account. Instead they returned $4,000 less from different BANK, different COUNTRY, and shorted me $4,000.
I demand they return the $ I paid for the name. They held the $ for 1 week!!! and returned $4,000 short.
Dan.com is complete scam. They refusing to deal with details. I will post screen shots and proof.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
We're surprised by the engagement this post is getting here and that we have to respond to this defamatory post.

Long story short:

1: The OP buys a domain on our platform and our team explicitly informs her to not send the payment yet as we want to verify the listing first.

2: The OP still wires (bank wire) the payment.

3: We cannot verify the listing and cancel the transaction before the wire has landed in our bank account.

4: We refund the buyer the exact same amount sent to us (as always...).

Sorry for the popcorn grabbers, we wish we could make it juicier for you in this slow news cycle :xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
We're surprised by the engagement this post is getting here and that we have to respond to this defamatory post.

Long story short:

1: The OP buys a domain on our platform and our team explicitly informs her to not send the payment yet as we want to verify the listing first.

3: We cannot verify the listing and cancel the transaction before the wire has landed in our bank account.

Sorry for the popcorn grabbers, we wish we could make it juicier for you in this slow news cycle :xf.smile:

image (16).png
image (17).png

Last edited:
•••
$4000 big money.
I think Only Problem here dan not refunded full money same account.

Thanks for sharing issues/alerts

Please be wary of repeating false information posted by the OP.

The exact same EURO amount that we received was sent back to the buyer from the same bank account. The buyer should seriously consider changing banks since they have a contract with that bank that takes the fee that the OP wants us to pay for.

If the OP knew what kind of contract they had signed with their bank, they could have asked us to send the refund in a different currency and save on exchange rates charged by their own bank.

Our team is extremely helpful in these situations for customers that respect our time and efforts. But the moment a counterparty engages in defamation or extortion, we've historically shown to limit our support to that that our TOU dictates.

Last edited:
•••
So, five hours ago you post this:

Then, you go on a multi-post rant like an energizer bunny with zero "screen shots and proof" in sight.

@DAN.COM shows up, answers your post, and also posts what purport to be screen shots of the transaction from their end, and you still haven't made good on your original post in this thread for these screen shots of yours.

You've also posted that @DAN.COM held your money for a "week", when it looks to be closer to three days. However, sometimes, international wire transfers can be held up, for a variety of reasons.

Now @ksusha64 hasn't mentioned what country they are in, but it could take some time for the December 9 payment from @DAN.COM to reach the destination account - and possibly not by the Monday morning time at which @ksusha64 made the OP in this thread.

My best guess is that @ksusha64 is upset by the fact that the domain listing was not legit in the first place, and that annoyance has blinded him or her to perhaps making a mistake in looking at his/her bank records, and mis-attributed two payments to the expected refund.

Here's a simple question for the reader... if part of the refund payment from @DAN.COM was sent to @ksusha64 from "a different company" as alleged by @ksusha64 , then on what basis is @ksusha64 claiming that it has anything to do with any amount sent by @DAN.COM ? I mean, instead of saying "there were two wires which are $4,000 short, and one is from a different company" why isn't he or she saying "there was one wire which was $XX,XXX short"?

That detail alone in @ksusha64 's story doesn't make any sense to me.

If "Bob" owed me 10,000, and I received a 5,000 payment from Bob, and a 4,000 payment from Alice, I would be saying that Bob shorted me by 5,000. I wouldn't be saying that Bob shorted me by 1,000 and sent part of his payment pretending to be Alice. Why would I even think the payment from Alice had anything to do with Bob?

The bank account where the funds were deposited is the same as the refunding bank account. There was no other company involved. The only external company we'll soon start working with for bank payouts is Payoneer. But that's not live for Dan sellers yet as we're in the final phase of testing before we can release that integration.

Last edited:
•••
I stated my case. I am waiting for dan.com to contact me privately. I am ready to provide any info they ask for related to this transaction.

If we'd contact you privately it would be our lawyer contacting you about the defamation and extortion case you're building in this thread.

We're closely monitoring your actions here and elsewhere.

•••
You are supposed to return SAME AMOUNT, FROM SAME ACCOUNT you GOT PAID.

Well, since @ksusha64 is more interested in asking questions and making accusations than answering them, I noticed there is an ambiguity in the claim, and I think I have a better idea of what is happening. Part of the problem here is that English is obviously not his or her first language.

IF @ksusha64 ever decides to post the proof which they promised in the OP, then it would also be good to get a clear explanation of (a) where @ksusha64 is located, (b) what is @ksusha64 's bank and (c) in what currency was the payment intended to be sent and received.

There are some banks which cannot receive foreign currency payments. For example, if you have an account with TD Bank in the United States, you can send and receive US dollar payments. If, however, you are a US TD Bank customer, and you either receive or send a payment in non-US currency, then the payment will be routed through the Canadian Toronto Dominion Bank corporation as an intermediary bank.

But since @ksusha64 just wants to have a hissy fit instead of posting useful information, we will probably not know.

The logic is much simpler, I got paid $4,000 less for the product I did not receive. Thats my damages. They did it intentionally based on evidence.

You haven't posted evidence of anything. And your stance of "I won't post anything unless someone promises me something" is simply childish.

@DAN.COM is not making money off of whatever the banks are charging for currency conversion. In all likelihood it is your own bank and/or their intermediary currency processor who determined the exchange rate to be applied to the transaction.

I sent an OFFER that was ACCEPTED

Yes, people list domains for sale, on all platforms, that they really don't have the authority to sell. Dan.com told you this BEFORE you sent the payment.

They have to return the funds with same exchange rate I paid for the domain. I should not be losing $ due to exchange rates difference and them sending money back on worst day possible for exchange rate to cheat me.

That's complete nonsense. Dan.com is not responsible for whatever currency you hold in your bank account.

•••
•••
Dan told OP explicitely not to pay the money, but OP decided to pay anyway. Dan then refunded the exact same amount promptly, using the same bank account. Any loss because of exchange rates is clearly a problem of OP here.

The only thing I agree with, is that the domain should not have been on the platform.

•••
People asking me to post screen shots, but not saying I should get paid if I provide them.

No, @ksusha64 people are asking you to post screen shots because you said you would in your first post in this thread. Since you haven't done so, nobody believes you.

The idea that @DAN.COM picked a bad day for the exchange rate is amusing. How did they benefit from that? And, they have nothing better to do all day than to sit around looking at their refund queue and making bets on currency exchange rates? C'mon.

Last edited:
•••
Screenshot or close the thread. You’re losing credibility with every post otherwise.

•••
@ksusha64 if you see this post by Dan.com you can see that they received 49,506 EUR and they sent you back 49,506 EUR. So in no way they have gained anything, because they did not convert any currency.

So, here we go. Who converted from usd to euro, and then from euro to usd? There you have it, your bank.

Now let's see what happened.

On Dec 6, you sent 49,506 EUR and you say that you paid "around $58,000 USD" for it.
I paid around $58,000 USD for it.
Since I paid 49,500 in euros

Well, there you have the first $2,000 of conversion fees that your bank charged you. You should have paid $55,852 usd for sending 49,506 EUR as of Dec 6 usd-eur exchange rates, but your bank charged you a 3,8% of conversion fees if you paid $58,000 usd).

https://www.xe.com/currencytables/?from=USD&date=2021-12-06#table-section

Then, the second $2,000 of loss, when Dan.com sent you 49,506 EUR on Dec 10. You should have received $56,008 usd as of Dec 10 usd-eur exchange rates, but your bank charged you a 3,7% of conversion fees, and you only received $54,000 instead of 56,008 usd).

https://www.xe.com/currencytables/?from=USD&date=2021-12-10#table-section

I just have seen the amounts sent, usd charged, eur received and exchange rates, so I thought to let you know so you can see who took the $4,000 of your loss.

I am not a bank expert, just trying to help you understanding what happened with your lost $4,000.

@ksusha64 ask your bank for the conversion fees they charge to convert from usd to eur and from eur to usd. Maybe you find there the answer.
I know some banks charge a high amount (around 3%) to convert between currencies. They are who make business with these conversion fees.

Last edited:
•••
I have been doing business with DAN since 4 years. I dont think they would cheat you in anyway. Please contact their support about your issue.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
On the other hand, DAN also showed itself not in the best way, leaving only 1 comment in this thread, and even that one with a threat. It was necessary to write clearly and in detail what and how happened and ask not to spoil their reputation.
Please read this (whole) thread again, and find out that DAN did post more than what you're saying here. You may as well come to the conclusion that the word 'threat' fits more with OP than with DAN.

•••
I've been using Dan.com for a few months now. Unfortunately they let users list domains for sale without strong ownership verification (Sedo, for examples, uses DNS verification). This often leads to transactions being canceled because of sellers not owning the domain, I found myself as the buyer in such transactions a few times, but they have always refunded the full amount.

•••
•••

The problem there is...

Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 7.24.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 7.25.23 PM.png

...there wasn't that much of a currency swing between Monday and Friday in EUR/USD. So if you are claiming you originated the transaction in dollars, then why are you saying they waited until the exchange rate would be worse?

•••
Thankfully, I'm just "one of the dumbest" and not the dumbest. I'm trying to figure out who the other dumbest lawyers are. Maybe @stevanlieberman has some nominations.
Can I nominate myself? I def have a few thoughts but I keep losing them . . . .

•••
ksusha64 is not a newbie in domaining and she knew that domains can be stolen or illegally listed for sale. This is especially true for expensive domains.

But nevertheless, she transfers money, converting currency, without even asking and getting confirmation from DAN if everything is okay with the domain or not?

How much did she lose there? 2k or 4k? Well, for such a domainer as ksusha64, 4k is not a big loss and fits into the yearly losses.

On the other hand, DAN also showed itself not in the best way, leaving only 1 comment in this thread, and even that one with a threat. It was necessary to write clearly and in detail what and how happened and ask not to spoil their reputation.

This situation is not something extraordinary, it's like my sister sent me 50 cents to my Paypal to check if everything works ok, and after Paypal charged all commissions, I received 0 cents. My sister lost 50 cents, I got nothing but Paypal got 50 cents for "service".

Here is the same situation. One of the banks, or maybe both, won from this "deal", but not DAN.

I could understand a newbie, but ksusha64 knew well that a domain could be stolen and illegally put for sale, but blinded by the future benefits of resale, she transferred a big amount of money without asking a question or receiving confirmation of the availability of the domain.
They didn't leave the 1 comment, they've described the whole situation from their side.

Long story short:

The bank account where the funds were deposited is the same as the refunding bank account. There was no other company involved. The only external company we'll soon start working with for bank payouts is Payoneer. But that's not live for Dan sellers yet as we're in the final phase of testing before we can release that integration.

•••
Can I get one too?

We should mint them as NFT's.

As one can read in this thread, the OP (she) wrote (more than once) that DAN informed her to not send the payment at a time after she already sent it.

While she has not published a proof for her claim, DAN on the other hand has not publicly rejected this specific claim by her as wrong.

I am just commenting what I can read because it seems that this detail is probably the decisive point in terms to get this matter soluted.

They are both telling the truth on that point.

If you look at the posts in the thread, the buyer says he or she ordered the wire on Sunday. The way that most banks work is that you can order a wire transfer any time you want, but they send them during their business hours. If I ask my bank to send a wire on Saturday, it will go out on Monday.

If, on a Monday afternoon, I send a wire to someone in Europe, it will likely not be posted to their account until Tuesday or possibly Wednesday, under the most optimistic conditions.

International wire transfers are NOT instantaneous. The earth is round. It spins. Banks are open to do business at different times.

The most likely circumstances based on what both parties are saying, is that Dan.com told the buyer not to send the wire AFTER the buyer had ordered their bank to send the wire, and BEFORE the payment reached Dan.com's bank account. As the recipient of the wire, Dan.com would have no way of knowing when the sender had actually asked their bank to send it. So, what does that solve for you?

The point is that YOU are responsible for picking your bank and the currency in which you bank. As pointed out above, the $4000 was a $2000 bite each way, made by the buyer's bank. Dan.com would have no way of knowing what the buyer's bank was going to charge when Dan.com issued the refund. However, no merchant is going to assume responsibility for the fees charged by a customer's bank.

Last edited:
•••
So, five hours ago you post this:

I will post screen shots and proof.

Then, you go on a multi-post rant like an energizer bunny with zero "screen shots and proof" in sight.

@DAN.COM shows up, answers your post, and also posts what purport to be screen shots of the transaction from their end, and you still haven't made good on your original post in this thread for these screen shots of yours.

You've also posted that @DAN.COM held your money for a "week", when it looks to be closer to three days. However, sometimes, international wire transfers can be held up, for a variety of reasons.

Now @ksusha64 hasn't mentioned what country they are in, but it could take some time for the December 9 payment from @DAN.COM to reach the destination account - and possibly not by the Monday morning time at which @ksusha64 made the OP in this thread.

My best guess is that @ksusha64 is upset by the fact that the domain listing was not legit in the first place, and that annoyance has blinded him or her to perhaps making a mistake in looking at his/her bank records, and mis-attributed two payments to the expected refund.

Here's a simple question for the reader... if part of the refund payment from @DAN.COM was sent to @ksusha64 from "a different company" as alleged by @ksusha64 , then on what basis is @ksusha64 claiming that it has anything to do with any amount sent by @DAN.COM ? I mean, instead of saying "there were two wires which are $4,000 short, and one is from a different company" why isn't he or she saying "there was one wire which was $XX,XXX short"?

That detail alone in @ksusha64 's story doesn't make any sense to me.

If "Bob" owed me 10,000, and I received a 5,000 payment from Bob, and a 4,000 payment from Alice, I would be saying that Bob shorted me by 5,000. I wouldn't be saying that Bob shorted me by 1,000 and sent part of his payment pretending to be Alice. Why would I even think the payment from Alice had anything to do with Bob?

•••
@jberryhill Very much agree.
She is Russian, that's for sure. Very possible her bank is Russian too (it will be 100% the case if she is in Russia). I bet the whole problem is due to conversion USD-Euro-RBL (or at least two currencies out of three). It is also very much possible that yes - an intermediary bank is involved there as well, or her account is in roubles (or both!). There are very often heavy fees and the most unpleasant currency rates involved in such transactions (EU-non EU banks).

•••
@ksusha64

You are claiming that DAN informed you to not send the payment after you already sent the payment ...

... so if your claim is true you should be able to proof it by simply posting ...

... a screenshot of their sent message (email) including its original exact timestamp ...
... and ...
... a screenshot of your sent payment (wire) including its original exact timestamp ...

... so that it will be clear which happening (DAN's message or your payment) happened first.

Simple as that.

Last edited:
•••
Now, that said, there are certainly banks which charge ridiculous fees, or have a huge buy/sell spread on foreign exchange transactions. For example, if you are familiar with the ATM "do you want us to convert from dollars" scam that many banks use, then how your particular bank deals with incoming transfers in other currencies can make a huge difference.
The bank rates where I come from are ridiculous when it comes to fx exchange rates. The difference between the rate at which they sell to you and the rate at which they buy back from you is borderline theft (even when both transactions are same-day).

That's why btc payout is my preferred option at Dan. Wish @DAN.COM did not place a limit on how much you can receive via the btc payout option.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back