IT.COM

Dan.com stole my $

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ksusha64

Top Member
Impact
Dan.com accepted the $ for the domain they knew they did not have. I have proof they didn't have that domain and accepted money anyway. They refunded $4,000 short for the name. They are breaking the law by not keeping your $ in secure escrow account. Instead they returned $4,000 less from different BANK, different COUNTRY, and shorted me $4,000.
I demand they return the $ I paid for the name. They held the $ for 1 week!!! and returned $4,000 short.
Dan.com is complete scam. They refusing to deal with details. I will post screen shots and proof.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
280u.gif

Last edited:
•••
I think OP tried to get tomato for $58k before anyone else can. We all know that tomato.com worth more than that... it turned out to be a rotten tomato.

OP didn't perform any due diligence before wiring the money, even after DAN told her to wait until they verify ownership.

•••
Based on all the loose allegations. I doubt this muppet is telling this truth.

Everybody has paid for a name that wasn't available. He's been doing this since 2014. The start a thread in this nature and cry wolf. What is he 10yrs old

Ksusha is real

I represented him or her in a domain deal for xoq.com in 2016, and we sold the name for him or her ... no problems

That was when I brokered domains

~

This story though, idk, I have used DAN successfully for a few years now ! Great company, integrity, and have always been honest w/ me

I haven’t heard any bad stories about them ...

Ksusha if you are reading this, just be patient and I’m sure DAN will resolve this matter for you

•••
You are right to be upset but I don't think Dan knowingly tried to short you. FX fees on most international banks are very high and that's probably the source of this. Since they couldn't deliver the name to you though, I agree that they should take the loss from the FX fees and not you.

It would help if you described exactly what you paid, in what currency, the currency of the sale, and the currency they returned your money in.
I believe he just lost money in USD rate, but he was paid the same amount back in EUR if i am correct.

•••
@jberryhill . Do you know if ICANN has any rules to the way payments for domains should be handled?

Yes, I do know. Now, how about you answer my question first? You said you were going to post proof. You haven't posted any. This behavior does not help your credibility.

•••
The OP is a rotten “Tomato” in this case…

•••
Dan.com should of returned the money on same rate I paid.
They purposely picked the day with worst rate to screw me for most $ possible.
Even today's rate I would of gotten 56K back. They have to take a loss on this since they didn't provide the domain. Why should I be taking loss on a transaction they failed to complete????

If Dan received 49,000 EUR and sent back 49,000 EUR I don't see how they're making anything. The banks are the ones that are making it.

Will dan.com refund me if I show they caused me $4,000 damage from transaction they DID NOT COMPLETE.
There's one way to find out.

•••
•••
It is also very much possible that yes - an intermediary bank is involved there as well, or her account is in roubles (or both!). There are very often heavy fees and the most unpleasant currency rates involved in such transactions (EU-non EU banks).

Thank @VadimK . That seems like the most likely situation.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I don't see how. Currency is currency. It has nothing to do with race. And the explanation makes sense.

I understand you being upset about the situation, but lashing out at people trying to help is unnecessary.

•••
I don't care so much about the drama but other than front running, i don't think fake listing is a big deal. Just do yoir due deligence if you want to purchase. When you buy several names every day it is a pain in the ass to get them verified as legit seller and the best thing about dan is trusting the seller for their word when we ask them to delete and list a name i just bought. Otherwise it is a chore for Sedo and yet you still have the problem of people not deleting expired or sold names.
I don't think we even need to open that nest just because some of you can't wait to pull the trigger.

Regarding exchange rate loss, i lose 10% on an average on every refund and that is on my country of origin and my bank. Which is why I have now opened an US bank. Not figured out what to do about euro/dan but the 10% loss is something i never expected the refunder to pay. Happens even on paypal refund fml

•••
Last time I travelled I exchanged 500 USD and got EUR 400. When I came back I exchanged EUR 400 and only got 400 USD. When will Dan refund my 100 USD?

Last edited:
•••
But where is the problem?
DAN have TXT verification (dan-ownership-verification=abcd1234) . If you not are the domain owner not have any possibility to add TXT record to the domain.

That's what I thought too, until two domains that I placed accidentally in .com instead of .xyz were sold. They do not verify ownership with TXT currently, they use it only to remove old listings. The name can be placed on Dan without TXT as well. However their support told me they are working on some project to start verifying. They really should, indeed.

•••
a similar thing happened to me on godaddy. payment via escrow.com the seller did not transfer the domain "zgu.com" they sent me 500 € less exchange rate loss € / $ weeks back.

•••
They failed to provide the domain. I should not take the loss on the exchange rate they play with.
They chose worst possible day to return the $ by exchange rate. Today I would of got $56K instead of $54K
They play with rate to cheat me out of money.
There is no way you should take any loss when you purchased something that was not actually available. If you are refunded less, due to exchange rates that is an issue with their system.

You should simply be refunded at the same exchange rate when you submitted payment.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
They stole $4,000 usd from me. They owe me money.

•••
I am not supposed to lose any $ on transaction where I didn't get the domain. Period
Calm down, there's probably a reasonable solution and outcome if you contact them directly.

•••
Dan.com is complete scam. They refusing to deal with details. I will post screen shots and proof.

The definitions of "complete" and "scam" clearly elude you.

Regarding those screenshots as alleged proof, are you drawing them or what? I mean, it takes a few seconds to take a screenshot.

That being said, Dan can make mistakes. Any company can make mistakes. I have no doubt they will fix this if an error has indeed been made.

•••
shorted me $4,000.
You are right to be upset but I don't think Dan knowingly tried to short you. FX fees on most international banks are very high and that's probably the source of this. Since they couldn't deliver the name to you though, I agree that they should take the loss from the FX fees and not you.

It would help if you described exactly what you paid, in what currency, the currency of the sale, and the currency they returned your money in.

•••
•••
Calling Dan.com fraud is bizzare !! i trust them more then sedo or even afternic/godaddy.

•••
Different issue. Something many are complaining about, but different.

They asked them not to send the money, they still did, then they refunded the full amount.

Nasty thread, nasty cheap attitude.

It seems that this "different issue" plays indirectly the technical main role (of being the original "trigger" for this issue), thus my technical question, here is it again:

Wasn't the listing verified in past (at the time when it got listed) already?

I think an explanation from @DAN.COM would be appreciated by all, especially by DAN customers.

Aside that, one should never post such claims / allegations ("stole" / "money laundering" / "fraud") without delivering proof for it at the same time.

I could understand that the OP is angry about the fact that the amount she received back was lower (NOT because of DAN who (of course) sent her the exact same amount back she paid (as we also can see in their posted screenshot) but most probably because of payment processor fees (and maybe exchange rates)) than the amount she originally paid ...

... if ...

... DAN would not have informed her to not send the payment before they verify the domain name - but obviously they informed her as we can read by their statment.

That being said (written), I only think the best of DAN.

I have an account there too and I never had any issues with them, I wish them (and all their customers) success in their endeavours.

I am just interested why a(nother (?)) verification of the listing was needed although the verification of a listing is normally done at the time when you list it, thus my question.

Last edited:
•••
oh dear the OP didnt say much after dan.com came along anyway we love you @DAN.COM

•••
The bank account where the funds were deposited is the same as the refunding bank account.

Yes, you made that clear. My comment was directed to the inherent problem in the original post in this thread, where the poster stated that they received two payments from different companies and provides no explanation as to why the poster thinks that any payment from some other company has anything to do with the transaction in question.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back