Dynadot

Dan.com stole my $

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ksusha64

Top Member
Impact
Dan.com accepted the $ for the domain they knew they did not have. I have proof they didn't have that domain and accepted money anyway. They refunded $4,000 short for the name. They are breaking the law by not keeping your $ in secure escrow account. Instead they returned $4,000 less from different BANK, different COUNTRY, and shorted me $4,000.
I demand they return the $ I paid for the name. They held the $ for 1 week!!! and returned $4,000 short.
Dan.com is complete scam. They refusing to deal with details. I will post screen shots and proof.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I sent an offer for domain tomato.com. The offer was accepted.
I paid around $58,000 USD for it. They informed me name was not available while money was processing.
They could of rejected the wire payment. They accepted and refused to return the $ for 6 days. They were waiting for exchange rate to change. They supposed to KEEP MONEY SAFE IN ESCROW account and RETURN IT.
Instead they used different bank ILLEGALLY so they can cheat me on rate
I got back $54,000 usd from different bank, from different country, from different company.
Since I paid 49,500 in euros, they waited for the worst possible rate to cheat me for $4,000 usd in exchange.
Thats why they used different bank and waited so long to return the funds. Their scam is using different banks, waiting for worst possible exchange rate so they can cheat me for $4000 usd.
Obviously they knew name was not available, they didn't return money right away. They used different bank for UNKNOWN reason. They basically keep your $ until the rate exchange changes in their favor to cheat. you.
I didn't get the name. I should get full amount I paid right away. This is clearly a scam.

•••
As mentioned, indeed this is a problem due to exchange rates and possibly some other bank fees, however, Dan.com should really start checking the ownership of the names listed on their platform (and preferably before the purchase is made).

•••
People are trying to explain the situation to you and you are not happy and attack them.
You acted like my wife. It does not matter how I explain to her she would never get it.

•••
"You are one of dumbest lawyers in domaining."

tvN5G-1518820788-11436-list_items-9_spit-take-golden-girls.gif

Thankfully, I'm just "one of the dumbest" and not the dumbest. I'm trying to figure out who the other dumbest lawyers are. Maybe @stevanlieberman has some nominations.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I posting this so other people don't get cheated for $ the same way I did. I am also posting this to get my $ back.
Get money back? You accused them of money laundering, you made a post on namepros a high ranking site in Google and you destroyed an honest group of people. Consider yourself lucky if they don't retain a serious legal team to go after you. I know I would and in the courts people like you get destroyed financially. They are pure saints if they don't go after you. How dare you accuse a company of money laundering? WTF is wrong with you?

•••
Mods have to delete this post too. But when we start calling people fucking dummies on here, thats little much.
Buyer should have got same amount money back.
Due dilligence may have avoided this.
What OP has said about Dan, their account probably be closed.
There is no company more honest than dan, unfortunate people have found way to exploit their system.
Way to much negative aura here, this contreversial thread is another nail in the cöffin. Thread should be deleted
You are one fucking dummy

•••
Post proof if you have it. I sold a lot of names on Dan and never had any problems.
Money laundering for $4,000 does not make any sense to me.
Post proof here so we can all see it before wasting everyone time to guess what the real story is.

•••
I doubt they'd screw you over on 4 grand @ksusha64, don't think money laundering has anything to do with it either. However, I appreciate it must be very frustrating...money is money, you deserve the same rate. Work it out with them in private, calmly, than spilling the issue at NamePros - It will work in your favour, IMO

•••
Here's a simple question for the reader... if part of the refund payment from @DAN.COM was sent to @ksusha64 from "a different company" as alleged by @ksusha64 , then on what basis is @ksusha64 claiming that it has anything to do with any amount sent by @DAN.COM ? I mean, instead of saying "there were two wires which are $4,000 short, and one is from a different company" why isn't he or she saying "there was one wire which was $XX,XXX short"?

Maybe the refund is initiated by Dan but then goes through intermediary bank(s) in other countries which are the ones who do conversion to USD? (Question mark because I don't know, just guessing.)

So the OP sees Dan's Bank, Ltd as the bank they sent the money to, but Intermediary Bank, Inc is the one who ultimately deposits the refund to her account (which is light by $4k because of their creative FOREX rates). Dan may not even know anything about it, and OP may be just misunderstanding it.

It would be helpful if the OP instead of just repeating the same accusations actually posted the evidence they claim to have, and screenshots of conversations, since it has been claimed they were told not to tranfer the money but did so anyway.

•••
If u send someone 1 btc for a name that you don't have, then wait until btc goes from 60-50K and then return 1 btc thats fraud.

This is not the same thing because you're getting back exactly what you sent. The dollar price only matters if you're going to sell, so just wait for a higher price to sell at and there's no "fraud".

Your case is actually more unfair because yes you were "scammed", you just weren't scammed by Dan. You sent $58k and got back $54k, because banks take their fees and make up their own exchange rates. They do this kind of scamming of everyone and every thing. It's how they work. It's why we all love banks so much.

Nobody asks a question why didn't they return money same day????

Did they even receive the money on the same day?

•••
Did you actually pay in EUR or was your payment in another currency, then converted to EUR...then refunded in EUR.

What seems to have happened is that @ksusha64 paid in her native dinars, baht, rupees, or whatever, and Dan.com was actually paid in EUR. Then, Dan.com issued the identical refund in EUR, which was converted back to whatever currency @ksusha64 has in her bank.

When you send funds of course you know exchange rate. You are not psychic, you google the rate.

You said they held the money for several days so that they could send your refund when the rate was less favorable. How did they know in advance that it would be going down?

•••
I don't see how. Currency is currency.

Well, some currencies are more volatile than others. The OP is claiming that they lost $4,000 on a $58,000 round trip transaction, and now appears to have converged on exchange rate fluctuations as the reason for the round-trip loss. The OP does not explain why Dan.com did this, since Dan.com does not make any money by refunding, in euros, the amount they received in euros.

Nevertheless, absent roundtrip fixed fees, we are talking about an exchange rate swing of about 6.9%. The USD and Euro did not do that last week.

So, if we are talking about a currency which moved several percentage points relative to the Euro last week, we must certainly be talking about a very volatile and unstable currency relative to either the Euro or the USD.

Now, that said, there are certainly banks which charge ridiculous fees, or have a huge buy/sell spread on foreign exchange transactions. For example, if you are familiar with the ATM "do you want us to convert from dollars" scam that many banks use, then how your particular bank deals with incoming transfers in other currencies can make a huge difference.

However, there was no fluctuation of exchange rates between Euros and USD last week which is capable of supporting the claim that Dan.com waited until the rate would be worse, for no apparent reason than spite.

Last edited:
•••
This is country of immigrants.

Indeed. Including my mother. I tried really hard not to discriminate against her, but I had to insist on someone else feeding me and changing my diapers when I was an infant. It was so hard to live with her for all those years growing up, but somehow I managed.

Even though I was born here and she wasn't, we did have one thing in common. Neither one of us spoke a word of English when we got here.

They intentionally waited for the day of worst rate exchange

You still haven't explained why they did that, or how could they have known it was going to get worse.

And, yes, everyone here is aware that you can know the current exchange rate. The problem with your theory is that it requires them to "intentionally wait[] for the day of worst rate exchange". In order to do that, they would have to know which way it was going.

Another thing that anyone can do is to look at currency fluctuation charts for the last week. I posted the relevant part of the USD/EUR chart.

The problem is that the actual rate (as opposed to the buy/sell rate spread of banks) fluctuated more in the course of several single days last week, than it changed for the entire rate.

I found a better chart, and it's kind of amusing. Here are Dollars to Euro last week, with an index on Monday and on Friday:

Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 8.15.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 8.15.39 PM.png

And here's the week in rubles:

Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 8.11.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 8.12.27 PM.png

From the directions of the graphs on those charts, I believe that most Namepros readers can figure for themselves what would be the effectiveness of Dan.com having "intentionally waited for the day of worst rate exchange". Because if we are talking about EUR/USD, then they should have refunded you on Tuesday, if they intended to get the worst exchange rate of the week.

But, the fluctuations in neither of these currencies is as big as the cut apparently taken by your bank when it did the conversion in the first place. Dan.com is not responsible for what your bank charges you to convert foreign currency transactions. Dan.com would have no way of knowing that rate and, of course, Dan.com is not responsible for your choice of currency or banks.

•••
I have monetary damages due to your negligence.

No, you have a monetary loss due to the intentional acts of a person who fraudulently listed the domain name for sale on Dan.com. Unfortunately, by going after the other party who was the victim, in terms of time and money, you probably aren't going to get much cooperation in attempting to identify the person who is actually responsible for what happened to you.

But you agreed to the following terms:

https://dan.com/terms_of_use

3.4 Parties acknowledge and agree that the Contractor cannot exercise any rights to and therefore has no influence on the actual state of the domain name, including the accessibility of the domain name offered by the Provider. Contractor does not make any guarantees or warranties with respect to the domain name. In case of a dispute with respect to the domain name, Provider and the Transferee shall resolve such dispute between themselves.

Except in case willful misconduct, Parties acknowledge and agree that Contractor is not in any way liable for any damages resulting from the provision of the Services or any defects in the performance of the Website and/or the secure access to the Website or parts thereof. All information on the Website is subject to typos or misspellings. For the avoidance of doubt, the Contractor is therefore not in any way liable for any damages resulting from:

a. the use of Services from the Contractor, including (but not limited to) use of Contractor’s Website (including the landing pages), (active) service brokerage and transaction concerning the transfer of the domain name and other Services offered by the Contractor;

b. false or incomplete information on the Website or any failure of performance, error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, computer virus, communication line failure, theft, destruction or unauthorized access to, alteration of or use of any asset;

c. use of Third Party services or use of purchased domain names or other services via the Website, including the use of the payment services offered on the Website through Third Parties (such as Contractor’s payment provider Adyen);

d. defects in the actual state, including the accessibility, of the domain names;

e. acts of Third Parties hired by the Contractor, including Third Parties that effectuate mediation or financial settlements; and

f. changes in the services of the Contractor or changes in or on the Website.

----------

Just for your reference, by stating that you are the victim of alleged "negligence", you have admitted the behavior to which you take issue was not intentional.

However, now that we have all tracked down the issue to fees charged by your bank (or by an intermediary bank used by your bank) for currency conversion, it is abundantly clear that your various claims of "money laundering" or that Dan.com somehow profited illegally by stealing your money are false. Knowing these accusations to be false, you choose to maintain them, and have not retracted them. Your choice in that regard is intentional, in contrast to the behavior of Dan.com which you allege to be merely negligent.

•••
•••
Why did they not return the $ same day with same rate? I would not of lost the $

Why would you send a large amount of money like that after they told you not to send it until they verified the domain first? Even if they sent the wire back the same day, it could take up to 5 days if not longer to receive it. International wire transfer take some time. The exchange rate could be different by the time you receive the money.

•••
I sent an offer for domain tomato.com. The offer was accepted.
I paid around $58,000 USD for it. They informed me name was not available while money was processing.
They could of rejected the wire payment. They accepted and refused to return the $ for 6 days. They were waiting for exchange rate to change. They supposed to KEEP MONEY SAFE IN ESCROW account and RETURN IT.
Instead they used different bank ILLEGALLY so they can cheat me on rate
I got back $54,000 usd from different bank, from different country, from different company.
Since I paid 49,500 in euros, they waited for the worst possible rate to cheat me for $4,000 usd in exchange.
Thats why they used different bank and waited so long to return the funds. Their scam is using different banks, waiting for worst possible exchange rate so they can cheat me for $4000 usd.
Obviously they knew name was not available, they didn't return money right away. They used different bank for UNKNOWN reason. They basically keep your $ until the rate exchange changes in their favor to cheat. you.
I didn't get the name. I should get full amount I paid right away. This is clearly a scam.
Yeah, it is not right to use a future exchange rate to process a refund.
You should be refunded at the original exchange rate that you paid, otherwise this type of thing can happen.

Purchasing a domain that is not available is bad enough, but also taking a multi-thousand dollar loss is not acceptable.

Have you contacted their support to see what they say?

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Dan.com is a great company, honest and hard working.

•••
Can we just stick to facts and cut out the insults and name calling? It serves no purpose.

Dan should do something about their verification process. A couple months ago I contacted their support about a seller offering domains by multiple owners, some of which were active websites that weren't for sale. I just looked, and there appears to be another seller doing the same thing.

Let's hope someone from Dan comments on ksusha64's situation soon.

•••
What are ICANN rules for buying domains for registrars? Is the money supposed to be in escr

@jberryhill . Do you know if ICANN has any rules to the way payments for domains should be handled?
Should they be kept in separate escrow account? Can it be transferred to another company and used between different companies and banks?

just check carefully with your bank , maybe your bank deducted the 4000 when the full amount returned back
to your account , NOT dan .

•••
Then they wait whole business week to return it. Proving they wanted to hold the money until unfavorable rate.
all facts

First off, I don't know of any bank that posts wires on Sunday. Yes, there is a time lag between the time you asked your bank to send the wire, and when the wire was posted as received by @DAN.COM

But, more importantly, your statement above is purely insane. How did @DAN.COM know what the exchange rate was going to be later in the week?

Are you telling us that @DAN.COM can accurately predict currency movements? But instead of making a fortune simply trading currencies, they use that psychic skill and knowledge to not even make any money on a transaction with you?
They have an inside line to NATO Command, and they knew that all of the EU countries were going to threaten economic sanctions if your country invades Ukraine? Is that how they did it?

I think the big story here is that @DAN.COM is wasting its time on a domain platform. They could be making a killing in the foreign exchange markets.

The currency could just as well have moved the other way, and you would have gotten MORE of your rupees back.

But they did all this just to spite you, and they didn't even make any money in the process. Why? What was the motive?

I am ready to provide any info they ask for related to this transaction.

So, in your first post, when you said you would followup with screenshots, you were lying. Is that it?

•••
"You are one of dumbest lawyers in domaining."

tvN5G-1518820788-11436-list_items-9_spit-take-golden-girls.gif

Last edited:
•••
1. You should ask to confirm the domain availability before starting the payment process.

Actually this is exactly what shouldn't be necessary, especially if it is a BIN listing it makes sense to avoid this question for tactical reasons.

If a domain name is listed for sale it has to be available, otherwise it should not be listed at all.

If it is not longer available, then it is up to the marketplace to remove it, instantly, automatically.

•••
Congratulations Your country's central bank got $4k richer.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back