IT.COM
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Bannen

Don't say Huh? too much; pretend you understand.Top Member
Impact
As you have heard by now, Namepros has been sold by its esteemed creator RJ, to the new owner Matt of Bodis.com.
The suggestions, arguments and debates are already beginning, and I thought it was important to highlight a thread specifically for this discussion, inviting all NP members to add their two cents in the way of which areas they think could use improvement, changes, or getting the axe.

We don't know all the plans Matt has for Namepros, but a forum is all the stronger when the owner/leader can see first-hand suggestions from its many experienced members.

I'll start:
1 - Just a personal dislike: I really, really miss having the discussion forums at the top of the home page. I know it may be a business decision to see the marketplace first upon coming to Namepros... but it hasn't led to me using the marketplace any more than usual, and it's a minor annoyance to have to scroll quite a ways down in order to get to the most interesting stuff, the discussions, news, appraisals, etc. Again, I get it if it's a biz decision; but if it hasn't strongly increased your traffic/business in some palpable way, my vote is for the discussion forums back on top.

2 - This is a very minor point, but still worthy of mention: in the appraisals section, when submitting a new thread for an appraisal, quite awhile ago the 'subject' line became automated, so they all now have to start with 'Please appraise' and then limited fields for up to 4 domains. That totally bored me when it happened. It used to be very entertaining to create your own subject line. Even if I was scanning the rest of the forum, I'd often run straight to the appraisals section simply because there was a funny/interesting/whack subject line. Now all it says on the home page under the appraisals section is 'please appraise' for every thread. I often just skip it.
As I said, it's a minor thing and I can see your reasons for automating things... yet IMO the value of automating it is not worth the loss of 'fun'.
Remember: Fun, Interesting, Odd, Exciting, these are the things that entice new members to join, and keep term members wanting to come back.

3 - In the spirit of that last comment, I'll make a very vague, generalized, but I think very important mention: a lot of the pure fun of this forum has somehow left, over the last couple years. It used to be quite entertaining, practically daily there was a thread or three that were so entertaining, interesting, potentially volatile (?), that it was hard to not come back often to see how things were playing out.
Somehow it seems much more sterile here now.

It's important to mention that I am still here because IMO this is the classiest, most informative, best-run domaining forum around. I signed up at the other best-known ones, but would keep returning here because it had that certain balance of all elements that I found was stronger than any other forum.

I don't know what the answer is as far as making things less sterile, and that is the main reason I opened this discussion. Perhaps with a lot of input we can figure that one out. It has something to do with rules and how they are modded... but that's not to say there is anything wrong with the rules and the modding, I feel no complaints about them myself. It may also have something to do with the layout of the forum categories... or not.

Perhaps it is also a consequence of the 'balancing out' of domaining. A few years ago there was this larger-than-life, delusional grandiosity still hanging on to domaining, people were still flocking to it in droves, regging any kind of name and thinking they had a million dollars worth. Now domaining seems to be entering a 'maturity', steadiness, professionalism, where a lot of the 'unknown' and 'growth' excitement is gone, values seem to be mostly predictable and sober.

Perhaps the steadiness or decline of traffic to domaining forums is simply the levelling-off of something that has now passed beyond its initial (decade-long) infatuation phase, and has entered a more sober, less exciting, more steady professional phase.

It seems the business-model of domaining forums has to somehow now change with the times... yet I don't quite know what those changes will be... where the trend is going next. Maybe if we get our heads together and throw the right suggestions against the wall, the right one will stick, NP can use that and get right to the cutting edge of where domaining is headed next. Where??????

Anyway, I will have other comments/suggestions, but that's enough to get this thread started I think. Welcome to anyone who wants to contribute their dos centavos.

:)

Oh, a comment: this thread probably belongs way way down at the bottom of the forum in the Namepros comments & suggestions area... however, no one visits that, and since I'm starting this thread specifically to address the switch-over period and possible changes/improvements that may happen during this transition, hopefully mods will keep this thread in the discussion area. Even stickie it for a week or two...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
*Edit* Looks like there is no need for changes / suggestions (from me).

---

Last edited:
•••

Consider eliminating .mobi as a subforum, BUT still keep the threads alive in the main forum (only fair to those who have posted over the years).

I never understood why .mobi had its own subforum for so long, although this gtld was expected to take off when it was launched.

I have mixed feelings about the .tv subforum; .tv is doing fairly well (I think it should be a natural, but the registry seems to be holding it back with high prices).

My point: if you're looking at creating consistency, then the special interest subforums make little sense, unless it's a paid option, clearly stated.

Personally, I have no strong feelings about this one way or another, but just something to think about when rethinking the structure of the forum.

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 PM ----------

3. Close / Delete all "Show me your ..." 3D / Cloud / Financal ... whatever threads.
Whats sense / use have such threads ?

If Namepros did this, I would DEFINITELY quit this forum.

These are the kind of threads that actually spark debate.

I don't always agree with the content of these kinds of threads, but I have gotten some good ideas from them. Part of what makes Namepros different are these kinds of popular and sometimes whacky threads.

Also, over-censoring and cutting threads will result in a mass exodus.

Guaranteed.

One other thing: there should be some leeway on off-topic posts because sometimes there is a related point, just like the freedom of speech debate on siggies earlier in this thread. The mods handled it right in steering members back to the topic.

Please don't rip the soul out of this forum.

•••
•••
If Namepros did this, I would DEFINITELY quit this forum.

I very sad when i see people arguing like this.

(nothing against you) but this is for me kids style ("when you don't give me toy, we are not friends anymore")

Is there no place to talk, collect arguments, see pro / cons ???

---

•••
"3. Close / Delete all "Show me your ..." 3D / Cloud / Financal ... whatever threads.
Whats sense / use have such threads ?"

Yeah, that would be a bad idea and not something they would ever do anyway. Those threads exist because that's what people want to talk about it. If that thread or any other thread is of no interest to you or anybody else, don't click on them.

Think somebody else earlier in the thread mentioned killing the GoDaddy coupon thread as well, one of the most active threads here. You don't kill activity.

•••
I'd give my 2 cents on the topic but you've pretty much summed it up :)

"3. Close / Delete all "Show me your ..." 3D / Cloud / Financal ... whatever threads.
Whats sense / use have such threads ?"

Yeah, that would be a bad idea and not something they would ever do anyway. Those threads exist because that's what people want to talk about it. If that thread or any other thread is of no interest to you or anybody else, don't click on them.

Think somebody else earlier in the thread mentioned killing the GoDaddy coupon thread as well, one of the most active threads here. You don't kill activity.

•••

(nothing against you) but this is for me kids style ("when you don't give me toy, we are not friends anymore")

---

I don't understand. You made some suggestions. Someone said they would not like it if NP carried out some of those suggestions. Now you seem to have deleted your suggestions.

Pros and Cons to me means people are free to say what they like about the arguments - within reason. If you make suggestions not everyone will agree but at the end of the day NP decides what is here, not me or you, we are just making suggestions. But NP definitely want people to come here and keep coming here, otherwise imo this thread would not exist, and the thread is a good thing.

Ok I think I see what you mean- the blackmail approach is not good, meaning people saying "I will not use the forum if..." for example, if there are political signatures, domain extensions I don't like etc etc. But a problem that has been getting mentioned in this thread is forum users posting less or staying away because they have not felt comfortable here, which imo is different.

Last edited:
•••

I'm just saying that I couldn't stay in a place that would suddenly start deleting threads (and, therefore, individual posts that many members have worked so hard to create).

Not a hissy fit at all, just a reality. I would have to choose where I would want to spend my time--that's all.

However, I doubt very much if Namepros would do this.

And please notice that I never suggested that your post should be removed; I'm actually arguing in favor of freedom of expression, even when I personally disagree.

---

•••

I'm just saying that I couldn't stay in a place that would suddenly start deleting threads (and, therefore, individual posts that many members have worked so hard to create).

Not a hissy fit at all, just a reality. I would have to choose where I would want to spend my time--that's all.

However, I doubt very much if Namepros would do this.

And please notice that I never suggested that your post should be removed; I'm actually arguing in favor of freedom of expression, even when I personally disagree.

I think you expressed yourself as a fair representation of many members of this forum and there is no need to feel you have to defend your previous post one iota.

People will come and people will stay whatever changes or non-changes are made. That is just the nature of the forum.

I am happy with the pro-active direction Namepros has taken and the suggestions that have been expressed on this thread, regardless of my opinion of them, is a healthy sign that the members that do stay here will enjoy and learn and teach from the experience.

It is a quantum leap from feeling for a pulse to flexing forum muscle and I am going to absorb all the knowledge I can from it and share what I can to make the forum fly!

•••
Wendy was an AWESOME mod!! :tu:

Really sad that she isn't one anymore... and all because of a few losers who want to get away with whatever they deem is "appropriate" behavior.

rule_violation would be better suited for those individuals... the place where pricks congregate. :D

•••
It's very nice to have a nice free forum like this for young and old domainers. It's one of the most useful online resources.

I was a mod in a similar forum (members wise) and it had the same problem, people who actually have something to say stopped posting because of a bunch of individuals from whom you have nothing to learn or admire. There is only one solution, a drastic one, to keep it clean, useful and important. That's the only way.

•••
Agree heavily with today's posts. We mods do bend over backwards for users but there need to be limits. Wendy didn't let ppl push her around. I'm one of the oldest members of NP (who actually log in regularly). Ive seen a lot in my years. Members thinking they're God is among the most rampant. Mods like Wendy kept it all in check. The bad guys hated getting caught with their hand in the cookie jar & took it out on her. Us mods, we go through those things... Wendy got it the worst.

•••
nm

Last edited:
•••
I'm one of the oldest members of NP (who actually log in regularly)

LOL.
That says so much about the present state of Namepros.

•••
LOL.

...and the state of your leather jacket...

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 PM ----------

...Wendy didn't let ppl push her around...

...but at the same time she was not an infallible presence and she did make mistakes and errors in judgement.

But I also realize that it is part of a learning process so it is not taken personally...

•••
We mods, Section Leaders, and Team Leaders are basically police. We govern NP to assure that NP doesn't fall into a GFY anarchy. We're not bad ppl, no. But if someone breaks a rule, we will get 'em. That itself makes us hated, just like police in the real world are hated :p

•••
LOL.

What does it say? Perhaps he should close his account and come back rejuvenated as someone new!

Maybe John Holmes

•••
LOL.

If you dont like the present state of NP then leave.

You would be better off at the Yahoo finance messages boards where Bashers run wild.
I think you would enjoy it better over there.
There is no bloodier battleground then the Yahoo finance message boards.
Try the Haliburton board, or the Sirius board.

:wave:

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

What does it say? Perhaps he should close his account and come back rejuvenated as someone new!

Maybe John Holmes

I am pretty sure he has already done that.
;)

•••
We mods, Section Leaders, and Team Leaders are basically police. We govern NP to assure that NP doesn't fall into a GFY anarchy. We're not bad ppl, no. But if someone breaks a rule, we will get 'em. That itself makes us hated, just like police in the real world are hated :p

...hey, I like and respect you a lot, double A, but you really shouldn't get too full of yourself.

You are as human and prone to mistakes as we are...try to remember that.

We will get 'em? How about "we will counsel 'em"? You talk like John Wayne when most of the infractions could be resolved with a simple heart to heart consultation. If not, then you can use other methods.

Us vs. them? You are NOT separate from us, you are the SAME as us, you ARE us!...or don't you like that analogy?

...and I doubt anyone here hates the police...God BLESS the police!

•••
GFY makes most other forums look like a walk in the park. But yeah, I know what ya mean

There is no bloodier battleground then the Yahoo finance message boards.

•••
...hey, I like and respect you a lot, double A, but you really shouldn't get too full of yourself.

We will get 'em? How about "we will counsel 'em"? You talk like John Wayne when most of the infractions could be resolved with a simple heart to heart consultation. If not, then you can use other methods.

Us vs. them? You are NOT separate from us, you are the SAME as us, you ARE us!...or don't you like that analogy?

I hate the police. Honestly.

1st bold: this is not a counseling forum. You make a mistake,you pay for it, simple as that. Rules are rules.( by you I don't mean you literally, i mean in general, dont feel offended).

2nd bold: He is not the same like us, he is a moderator, moderators have to maintain order in a forum. I know how that is very well. I'm sure Archangel sometimes wants to post some nasty comments but he CAN'T do that because he is a mod. We others, we can.

It's simple, either quality, either quantity. I like the first one better but it's the owner's job how he wants the forum.

•••
GFY makes most other forums look like a walk in the park. But yeah, I know what ya mean

Yep, when your messing with other peoples real money (lots of money) it can get bloody.

I have spent 12 years over at YFB and I have seen it all, pumpers, bashers, threats, longs and shorts wanting to kill each other.

But here at NP I enjoy the calm tranquil discussions ;)

•••

1st bold: this is not a counseling forum. You make a mistake,you pay for it, simple as that. Rules are rules.( by you I don't mean you literally, i mean in general, dont feel offended).

2nd bold: He is not the same like us, he is a moderator, moderators have to maintain order in a forum. I know how that is very well. I'm sure Archangel sometimes wants to post some nasty comments but he CAN'T do that because he is a mod. We others, we can.

It's simple, either quality, either quantity. I like the first one better but it's the owner's job how he wants the forum.

...no offense, STP, but the new owner IS pulling away from that garbage and if you want to wear an armband, be my guest...

...and YES, double A SHOULD be able to post intelligent but cutting comments on stupid posts...why not?

•••
STP pretty much said it. We are not you. We are not normal users. We are moderators and are hired to do a job. New ownership will not and will never weed that out. No exceptions. Ownership wants ppl to keep the gears on this machine running--that's where mods come in. Honestly, cops are hired to keep and maintain order. Mods are hired to keep and maintain order. We aren't gods, no. And yeah, we're humans. Mistakes are made. But we are humans who try our best to assure that the gears are running smoothly :) That's what our title entails

•••
STP pretty much said it. We are not you. We are not normal users. We are moderators and are hired to do a job. New ownership will not and will never weed that out. No exceptions. Ownership wants ppl to keep the gears on this machine running--that's where mods come in. Honestly, cops are hired to keep and maintain order. Mods are hired to keep and maintain order. We aren't gods, no. And yeah, we're humans. Mistakes are made. But we are humans who try our best to assure that the gears are running smoothly :) That's what our title entails

...hey, it's all good, Archangel, but don't expect me to see you as anything other than an equal. You may feel you are special, separate and better and good for you. What makes you THINK you can't do a good job unless you think you are NOT the same? Does that affect your ego in some way? You are and you saying you are not does not change that. Too bad...

But seriously, you are NO better or different than I am. You do not like that, than the problem is yours, not mine...

In other words when you make the mistake, it's A-OK and not as grevious as when some lowly member does. P*ss poor attitude, but it belongs to you, not me. I can live with that. You have an arrogance and I see through that...

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

...Yeah, and God BLESS the police...they are servants of the public...SERVANTS, not masters, get it?...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back