IT.COM
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Bannen

Don't say Huh? too much; pretend you understand.Top Member
Impact
As you have heard by now, Namepros has been sold by its esteemed creator RJ, to the new owner Matt of Bodis.com.
The suggestions, arguments and debates are already beginning, and I thought it was important to highlight a thread specifically for this discussion, inviting all NP members to add their two cents in the way of which areas they think could use improvement, changes, or getting the axe.

We don't know all the plans Matt has for Namepros, but a forum is all the stronger when the owner/leader can see first-hand suggestions from its many experienced members.

I'll start:
1 - Just a personal dislike: I really, really miss having the discussion forums at the top of the home page. I know it may be a business decision to see the marketplace first upon coming to Namepros... but it hasn't led to me using the marketplace any more than usual, and it's a minor annoyance to have to scroll quite a ways down in order to get to the most interesting stuff, the discussions, news, appraisals, etc. Again, I get it if it's a biz decision; but if it hasn't strongly increased your traffic/business in some palpable way, my vote is for the discussion forums back on top.

2 - This is a very minor point, but still worthy of mention: in the appraisals section, when submitting a new thread for an appraisal, quite awhile ago the 'subject' line became automated, so they all now have to start with 'Please appraise' and then limited fields for up to 4 domains. That totally bored me when it happened. It used to be very entertaining to create your own subject line. Even if I was scanning the rest of the forum, I'd often run straight to the appraisals section simply because there was a funny/interesting/whack subject line. Now all it says on the home page under the appraisals section is 'please appraise' for every thread. I often just skip it.
As I said, it's a minor thing and I can see your reasons for automating things... yet IMO the value of automating it is not worth the loss of 'fun'.
Remember: Fun, Interesting, Odd, Exciting, these are the things that entice new members to join, and keep term members wanting to come back.

3 - In the spirit of that last comment, I'll make a very vague, generalized, but I think very important mention: a lot of the pure fun of this forum has somehow left, over the last couple years. It used to be quite entertaining, practically daily there was a thread or three that were so entertaining, interesting, potentially volatile (?), that it was hard to not come back often to see how things were playing out.
Somehow it seems much more sterile here now.

It's important to mention that I am still here because IMO this is the classiest, most informative, best-run domaining forum around. I signed up at the other best-known ones, but would keep returning here because it had that certain balance of all elements that I found was stronger than any other forum.

I don't know what the answer is as far as making things less sterile, and that is the main reason I opened this discussion. Perhaps with a lot of input we can figure that one out. It has something to do with rules and how they are modded... but that's not to say there is anything wrong with the rules and the modding, I feel no complaints about them myself. It may also have something to do with the layout of the forum categories... or not.

Perhaps it is also a consequence of the 'balancing out' of domaining. A few years ago there was this larger-than-life, delusional grandiosity still hanging on to domaining, people were still flocking to it in droves, regging any kind of name and thinking they had a million dollars worth. Now domaining seems to be entering a 'maturity', steadiness, professionalism, where a lot of the 'unknown' and 'growth' excitement is gone, values seem to be mostly predictable and sober.

Perhaps the steadiness or decline of traffic to domaining forums is simply the levelling-off of something that has now passed beyond its initial (decade-long) infatuation phase, and has entered a more sober, less exciting, more steady professional phase.

It seems the business-model of domaining forums has to somehow now change with the times... yet I don't quite know what those changes will be... where the trend is going next. Maybe if we get our heads together and throw the right suggestions against the wall, the right one will stick, NP can use that and get right to the cutting edge of where domaining is headed next. Where??????

Anyway, I will have other comments/suggestions, but that's enough to get this thread started I think. Welcome to anyone who wants to contribute their dos centavos.

:)

Oh, a comment: this thread probably belongs way way down at the bottom of the forum in the Namepros comments & suggestions area... however, no one visits that, and since I'm starting this thread specifically to address the switch-over period and possible changes/improvements that may happen during this transition, hopefully mods will keep this thread in the discussion area. Even stickie it for a week or two...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There is no arrogance in looking at things as they truly are. It is only arrogant when one flaunts it. I don't flaunt that I'm a mod/SL. I simply know my place. I know I'm not a normal member. It's my job to police the forum, just as it is with all other mods. I respect the hell outta you, truly. But I don't really understand where the arrogance is coming from. I say "I'm a moderator & I do my job." I'm not saying I'm better than everyone because of my position. I am a staff member here. The arrogance of saying that doesn't quite appear to me. Saying I'm different than other members also shows no display of arrogance. EVERYONE know I am different from most, just as Janine, Scorp, Michelle etc are. We are MODERATORS. We are NOT normal users! If it was flaunted, then yeah, that'd be arrogant. But merely stating a fact isn't in any way arrogant.

•••
Do moderators get paid here? Someone posted earlier that you didn't, are you saying you are?

I know admins do, some forums pay mods, most don't even tho they should. It's one of the best deals on the internet for forums/business owners, free labor.

•••
There is no arrogance in looking at things as they truly are. It is only arrogant when one flaunts it. I don't flaunt that I'm a mod/SL. I simply know my place. I know I'm not a normal member. It's my job to police the forum, just as it is with all other mods. I respect the hell outta you, truly. But I don't really understand where the arrogance is coming from. I say "I'm a moderator & I do my job." I'm not saying I'm better than everyone because of my position. I am a staff member here. The arrogance of saying that doesn't quite appear to me. Saying I'm different than other members also shows no display of arrogance. EVERYONE know I am different from most, just as Janine, Scorp, Michelle etc are. We are MODERATORS. We are NOT normal users! If it was flaunted, then yeah, that'd be arrogant. But merely stating a fact isn't in any way arrogant.

...OK, then I will drop it but will reiterate one more time..."...but don't expect me to see you as anything other than an equal..."

...and see yourself as a SERVANT of the members, you know, like the police...

•••
Thinking and all, I think I get what you're saying: You think the mods (or at least me) are acting holier-than-thou, right? Any mod like that is bad. We are here to HELP the community, not to bully everyone.

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

Dunno about Admins but mods/SL's do this free. I've seen nary one cent from my time here. I guess that's something that should be remembered: We donate our time into this. It can really suck when ppl think we're supposed to be "perfect" since we make "big bucks" doing this. No. We make nothing at all.

That or someone's holding out on me lol

Do moderators get paid here? Someone posted earlier that you didn't, are you saying you are?

I know admins do, some forums pay mods, most don't even tho they should. It's one of the best deals on the internet for forums/business owners, free labor.

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

This is where I'm confounded. How did you get the idea that I believe differently?

...and see yourself as a SERVANT of the members, you know, like the police...

•••
Without law and order it would be Hell on earth.

•••
Admins get paid, no doubt about it. Most of the time, mods don't but I hope over the years, the owners at least hooked you up sometimes, like Christmas or something. Because most of the time the owners aren't here doing the day to day stuff, mods are. It would be the decent thing to do.

This whole this is our job thing, is a little overboard. That's a little too much into it. I understand being a mod out of respect of the owner, because it's a forum you really love etc. But it's not a job, you don't have benefits, you don't get paid etc.

Mods first should know the rules. Some didn't, some made them up on the way, actually breaking the rules.

"Ownership wants ppl to keep the gears on this machine running"

Exactly but if there are people that do the opposite, then something usually gets done. Mods most of the time handle spam, maybe move a thread into the correct forum etc, but other than that, should really leave people alone, let the forum breathe, unless somebody is breaking the rules of course.

And we're all the same. We either do this for a living, want to do this for a living, do this on the side, do this along with other things etc. mods and non mods.

•••
This might explain the misunderstanding on the last page. I suppose I should say that we provide a service to the community, not flatly proclaiming it's a "job." Jobs do entail work though, as we have to do. But maybe the term 'job' is a little too strong for the situation.

This whole this is our job thing, is a little overboard. That's a little too much into it.

•••
Thinking and all, I think I get what you're saying: You think the mods (or at least me) are acting holier-than-thou, right? Any mod like that is bad. We are here to HELP the community, not to bully everyone.

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

Dunno about Admins but mods/SL's do this free. I've seen nary one cent from my time here. I guess that's something that should be remembered: We donate our time into this. It can really suck when ppl think we're supposed to be "perfect" since we make "big bucks" doing this. No. We make nothing at all.

That or someone's holding out on me lol

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

This is where I'm confounded. How did you get the idea that I believe differently?

...Allow me to put it this way and I will drop the subject completely as there is nothing to be gained by continuing...

Lao Tzu (guy had a gift of gab)...“When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be”

I'm through with it, AA...and thank you for your time and attention.

•••
...and YES, double A SHOULD be able to post intelligent but cutting comments on stupid posts...why not?

I know what is stopping him from being able to post intelligent posts. He's from Ohio.

We are not you. We are not normal users. We are moderators and are hired to do a job.
No you are not. Yes you are*. Yes you are an no you are not.

Why do you do it? I can't imagine ever working for a business for free (some NGO/Charities). The only thing that I can think of is some prestige with being a mod. Amazing what people will do for a badge and a pat on the back.

*you're supposed to be better behaved and have restrictions on your behavior that others don't. Oh.. and you work for free applying someone else rules. Not much different.

•••
Answering DU: I'm a suffer of type-2 neurofibromatosis with paralysis on the face and right hand, with multiple cranial tumors encompassing bilateral deafness. I do as I do because I like to be helpful with what life I have. I don't care about a pat on the back or a badge. I do what I do because I'm a good guy who likes being of help. Simple as that.

It's a crying shame that ppl believe they need compensation for their efforts. I've spent the last month building a database-driven website for a church. I've invested many hours into it. And I'm doing it all for free. The notion that everything requires a paycheck is sad and very disappointing.

On the behaving thing: That is open to speculation as of one's level of restraint. We're "identical to you non-mods," right? But we're not, as you pointed out with that statement of behavior. We try to act like normal users while abiding by the rules. And that doesn't entail us mods acting perfect. Wasn't there already an argument that mods are humans, too?

•••
It's a crying shame that ppl believe they need compensation for their efforts. I've spent the last month building a database-driven website for a church.

Totally Different scenarios.

I have no issues donating time and value to a small church. It's a donation to a cause.

As long as it's not a mega church http://www.inplainsite.org/html/tele-evangelist_lifestyles.html

I have no issues with others donating time to a Chinese Corporation either... hell, it's only a few cents less than the Chinese make working for Chinese companies. It's not something I would do. If someone is making $$$ and I'm "working" for them, I'd want fair compensation - not a full salary, I doubt NP could support it, but at least something.

Whatever makes you happy. I think it's stupid to work for a business for free. I'd rather you pay me and let me donate the money to the church to build a website. I question why I'm even here half the time... providing content. I'll have to consider that harder.

•••
You make a good point, DU. In the whole moderating thing: I know NP doesn't make a gigantic amount of money so I never ask for compensation. That may change in the future though, of course. For now, I'm content doing as I am for free. We'll see about the future.

•••
@Du

You're one of the most respectful people and I always appreciate your comments about anything. But in this case I think you are wrong.

Some of us just feel good about making other people feel good. that's the payment and it's the best one you can have in my opinion. Your close ones can even be 10k miles away, you're still happy they;re happy. You can't please the whole world but you can please the most of it.

BTW Archangel, I hate the Simpsons :) Cheers all.

•••
Bouncing off what I posted and DU posted, regarding mods and compensation. Helping out, volunteering in your community, local charities, homeless etc, is different than a business.

"I know NP doesn't make a gigantic amount of money"

Have no idea how much NP makes each month but they did just sell for $200,000 - $300,000, from what I've read on some blogs, not sure the exact amount, so it's not like they're broke. Even it was something that would help in a mod's domaining efforts. Like, hook your mods up with a subscription to some domaining tool, Freshdrop, LeadRefs, something like that, pay the subscription for a year, or what I mentioned, hook them at Christmas. That would be a nice thing to do, for the work they do put in, which leads to a constructive suggestion..........

Have a real contest** here, not talking NP$, (those are fun) but I was thinking more along the line of getting together with some advertisers, putting a package together. Could be some of the stuff I just mentioned, and some other things somebody could use in regards to domaining or development. Contest could be for guess something. Guess the date NP hits a certain milestone, guess who can get the closest to some big auction. Elliot has those from time to time (I won the last one :) ), lots of comments on his blog when he does. Brainstorm some more contest ideas. Have them a couple times a year, not too much, keep em special.

** can show you an example if you like

•••
I was a mod in the chat room some years back, Back when the chat room was used , We used to have 40 to 100 people in there. I never expected, Nor did i ever get paid one cent.

I really enjoyed modding, I did it for two reasons, I felt the chat room was a productive place to be able to talk domains, Smack and just have fun with friends. I never felt a need to be paid.

I guess when it comes right down to it, I felt i was performing a necessary duty for Namepros, Which had taught me domaining, brought me some of the most wonderful people i have ever met.

For you people that think domaining is all about making money, Pure business, You have a very rude awakening coming. A VERY SMALL percentage of the members here actually make a living domaining.

I value all the awesome friendships and knowledge that Namepros has brought me. Money can't buy that.

•••
Domaining is a business tho. People who don't treat it as such, usually aren't in it.

You might not expect to get paid and like I said I agree with you to a point: "I understand being a mod out of respect of the owner, because it's a forum you really love etc."

But make no mistake, forums are a business as well. Of course along the way you'll make friends, network, have fun, help, get help, that's the great thing about forums.

I have a forum for one of my sites, not even big enough to need a mod but one person who's there everyday wanted to be one. I take care of her. That's the right thing to do. The admins liking your post are getting paid.

My point is a simple one, take care of your mods, the people that take care of your business.

Last edited:
•••
...Have no idea how much NP makes each month but they did just sell for $200,000 - $300,000, from what I've read on some blogs, not sure the exact amount, so it's not like they're broke.

Well, we don't know that for sure. Perhaps Matt had to borrow the money, get some venture funding, or take out a second mortgage.

He could be eating ramen noodles every night (like I did when I was in grad school--15 cents a packet, LOL) as he tries to build up the forum and make new changes.

In any case, he's not obligated to reveal his financials on the forum.

;)

Mod positions on forums are typically unpaid.

I think Archangel (Randy) is doing a good job; I had an issue once (deleted post); he considered my point of view and brought back my post. I think that's the hallmark of a good mod, one who engages in give and take with members.

Scorpion Agency (Eric) seems really into this job; I had a question, and he answered it immediately and cheerfully.

I have had no recent problems with any of the mods (at first, 2008-2009, I ran afoul of some guidelines, but I was clearly in the wrong).

And sometimes members can get a little hot under the collar and post things that they wouldn't say in person. In that case, it's just better to admit it, self edit it, and move on.

It's good to have debates like this, but I wouldn't want to be called a name just because I hold a minority view, nor do I want to engage in attacking anyone else.

:)

•••
Have a real contest** here, not talking NP$, (those are fun)

Yeah they are so fun I historically had to beg people to participate in them.

Make NP$ worth something! and i dont mean a certain fraction of cash value, but instead something that makes people really want to own the darn things. A tie in with a future thriving marketplace would do it!

And are charity ribbons sales still producing a check to these charity??? Maybe nobodys buying them so it doesnt matter.

And lets not worry about mods getting paid, they know it coming into the "job" its non paying. There many reasons to do it as there are people that are mods. Someone can take 20 min from their day to mod so they have a feather in their cap to tell their clients. A person new to domaining can get to know more experience domainers faster. Many are involved in a particular sub area and it helps get butts into their virtual door. And then there those that just like to give back.

I can easily point out double digit reasons particlar people past and present gladly mod here for free but there no sense doing that.

•••
"Yeah they are so fun I historically had to beg people to participate in them."

Maybe that's why they're fun. Easy to win, not many people in them, winning contests I don't even enter.

•••
Domaining is a business tho. People who don't treat it as such, usually aren't in it.

You might not expect to get paid and like I said I agree with you to a point: "I understand being a mod out of respect of the owner, because it's a forum you really love etc."

But make no mistake, forums are a business as well. Of course along the way you'll make friends, network, have fun, help, get help, that's the great thing about forums.

I have a forum for one of my sites, not even big enough to need a mod but one person who's there everyday wanted to be one. I take care of her. That's the right thing to do. The admins liking your post are getting paid.

My point is a simple one, take care of your mods, the people that take care of your business.

I have to disagree with you about domaining being a business. I have been on both sides of the fence. I have domained for a hobby, As well as a full time job. I could have most likely kept domaining full time as a job had i wanted to. I figured out, And that through domaining that i wasn't as good of a domainer as i had thought, The competition was fierce, fast and furious. Domaining taught me how to compromise, Adapt and Overcome. Through that i learned that many opportunities exist. Domaining allowed me to open a music instrument store, Which i own and run today still.

Today i domain as a hobby, I make a buck here and there. Hadn't been for domaining, I doubt very seriously if i would own my music store today.

If you have a dream, Ride it, Don't let it go.
Although you may be at one place, That doesn't mean that is what is meant for you, What i am saying is, Namepros was my gateway to owning my business, And i will always be so grateful for what it brought me in the end.

•••
I haven't read this thread, so if this was mentioned already, excuse me

In Germany in our Forum we have 2 interesting threads

"Newly Snapped Domain Names"
Where you can only post names you snapped with Snapnames, Namejet, Godaddy, or any other backorder service, Not handreged Domains

https://consultdomain.de/forum/domai...ranbieter.html

then we have
"Newly bought Domain Names"
Where you can post only Domain Names you bought from other people. Again, not handreged Domain Names.

https://consultdomain.de/forum/domai...e-domains.html

Maybe an idea for Namepros too?
Such a big Forum needs such threads.

•••
Your links got truncated, can you fix them?

•••
There are similar threads here for new regs. A backorder thread might be a good thing to start :)

I haven't read this thread, so if this was mentioned already, excuse me

In Germany in our Forum we have 2 interesting threads

"Newly Snapped Domain Names"
Where you can only post names you snapped with Snapnames, Namejet, Godaddy, or any other backorder service, Not handreged Domains

https://consultdomain.de/forum/domai...ranbieter.html

then we have
"Newly bought Domain Names"
Where you can post only Domain Names you bought from other people. Again, not handreged Domain Names.

https://consultdomain.de/forum/domai...e-domains.html

Maybe an idea for Namepros too?
Such a big Forum needs such threads.

•••
i wonder how long until new sales platform previously mentioned by Matt?

•••
I modded for 4 years here for free, I knew it was free when I started so no complaints.

I see all sides here,

First, Domaining is a business, whether some cannot succeed at it,its a business.

Secondly,there is a vast array of people here from all over the world, different cultures,different values, fast paced, slow paced and everything in between. Some truly want to give back, Some do believe whether others agree or not does not matter, but some do see Prestige in being a mod of a popular forum. It has a virtual currency value to them.

I agree its not a job,its lending a hand.

I do believe owners should find creative ways to compensate mods,JB is right on in that point IMO. You can find ways to do that, free reg,free advertising if they have a website that is non competing.

Look I know people today that still hold grudges against mods who have not modded here in 6 years so being a mod does bring unwanted stuff. Mark years ago said how he had to not have any links in his sig because people would try to mess with his sites, adsense bombing, DDOS, etc...

I think if a site does well and makes money it can throw a few dollars to the mods. Again IMO

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back