Domain Empire
Spaceship
Watch

Bannen

Don't say Huh? too much; pretend you understand.Top Member
Impact
As you have heard by now, Namepros has been sold by its esteemed creator RJ, to the new owner Matt of Bodis.com.
The suggestions, arguments and debates are already beginning, and I thought it was important to highlight a thread specifically for this discussion, inviting all NP members to add their two cents in the way of which areas they think could use improvement, changes, or getting the axe.

We don't know all the plans Matt has for Namepros, but a forum is all the stronger when the owner/leader can see first-hand suggestions from its many experienced members.

I'll start:
1 - Just a personal dislike: I really, really miss having the discussion forums at the top of the home page. I know it may be a business decision to see the marketplace first upon coming to Namepros... but it hasn't led to me using the marketplace any more than usual, and it's a minor annoyance to have to scroll quite a ways down in order to get to the most interesting stuff, the discussions, news, appraisals, etc. Again, I get it if it's a biz decision; but if it hasn't strongly increased your traffic/business in some palpable way, my vote is for the discussion forums back on top.

2 - This is a very minor point, but still worthy of mention: in the appraisals section, when submitting a new thread for an appraisal, quite awhile ago the 'subject' line became automated, so they all now have to start with 'Please appraise' and then limited fields for up to 4 domains. That totally bored me when it happened. It used to be very entertaining to create your own subject line. Even if I was scanning the rest of the forum, I'd often run straight to the appraisals section simply because there was a funny/interesting/whack subject line. Now all it says on the home page under the appraisals section is 'please appraise' for every thread. I often just skip it.
As I said, it's a minor thing and I can see your reasons for automating things... yet IMO the value of automating it is not worth the loss of 'fun'.
Remember: Fun, Interesting, Odd, Exciting, these are the things that entice new members to join, and keep term members wanting to come back.

3 - In the spirit of that last comment, I'll make a very vague, generalized, but I think very important mention: a lot of the pure fun of this forum has somehow left, over the last couple years. It used to be quite entertaining, practically daily there was a thread or three that were so entertaining, interesting, potentially volatile (?), that it was hard to not come back often to see how things were playing out.
Somehow it seems much more sterile here now.

It's important to mention that I am still here because IMO this is the classiest, most informative, best-run domaining forum around. I signed up at the other best-known ones, but would keep returning here because it had that certain balance of all elements that I found was stronger than any other forum.

I don't know what the answer is as far as making things less sterile, and that is the main reason I opened this discussion. Perhaps with a lot of input we can figure that one out. It has something to do with rules and how they are modded... but that's not to say there is anything wrong with the rules and the modding, I feel no complaints about them myself. It may also have something to do with the layout of the forum categories... or not.

Perhaps it is also a consequence of the 'balancing out' of domaining. A few years ago there was this larger-than-life, delusional grandiosity still hanging on to domaining, people were still flocking to it in droves, regging any kind of name and thinking they had a million dollars worth. Now domaining seems to be entering a 'maturity', steadiness, professionalism, where a lot of the 'unknown' and 'growth' excitement is gone, values seem to be mostly predictable and sober.

Perhaps the steadiness or decline of traffic to domaining forums is simply the levelling-off of something that has now passed beyond its initial (decade-long) infatuation phase, and has entered a more sober, less exciting, more steady professional phase.

It seems the business-model of domaining forums has to somehow now change with the times... yet I don't quite know what those changes will be... where the trend is going next. Maybe if we get our heads together and throw the right suggestions against the wall, the right one will stick, NP can use that and get right to the cutting edge of where domaining is headed next. Where??????

Anyway, I will have other comments/suggestions, but that's enough to get this thread started I think. Welcome to anyone who wants to contribute their dos centavos.

:)

Oh, a comment: this thread probably belongs way way down at the bottom of the forum in the Namepros comments & suggestions area... however, no one visits that, and since I'm starting this thread specifically to address the switch-over period and possible changes/improvements that may happen during this transition, hopefully mods will keep this thread in the discussion area. Even stickie it for a week or two...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.

Consider eliminating .mobi as a subforum, BUT still keep the threads alive in the main forum (only fair to those who have posted over the years).

I never understood why .mobi had its own subforum for so long, although this gtld was expected to take off when it was launched.

I have mixed feelings about the .tv subforum; .tv is doing fairly well (I think it should be a natural, but the registry seems to be holding it back with high prices).

My point: if you're looking at creating consistency, then the special interest subforums make little sense, unless it's a paid option, clearly stated.

Personally, I have no strong feelings about this one way or another, but just something to think about when rethinking the structure of the forum.

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 PM ----------

3. Close / Delete all "Show me your ..." 3D / Cloud / Financal ... whatever threads.
Whats sense / use have such threads ?

If Namepros did this, I would DEFINITELY quit this forum.

These are the kind of threads that actually spark debate.

I don't always agree with the content of these kinds of threads, but I have gotten some good ideas from them. Part of what makes Namepros different are these kinds of popular and sometimes whacky threads.

Also, over-censoring and cutting threads will result in a mass exodus.

Guaranteed.

One other thing: there should be some leeway on off-topic posts because sometimes there is a related point, just like the freedom of speech debate on siggies earlier in this thread. The mods handled it right in steering members back to the topic.

Please don't rip the soul out of this forum.

•••
Have a real contest** here, not talking NP$, (those are fun)

Yeah they are so fun I historically had to beg people to participate in them.

Make NP$ worth something! and i dont mean a certain fraction of cash value, but instead something that makes people really want to own the darn things. A tie in with a future thriving marketplace would do it!

And are charity ribbons sales still producing a check to these charity??? Maybe nobodys buying them so it doesnt matter.

And lets not worry about mods getting paid, they know it coming into the "job" its non paying. There many reasons to do it as there are people that are mods. Someone can take 20 min from their day to mod so they have a feather in their cap to tell their clients. A person new to domaining can get to know more experience domainers faster. Many are involved in a particular sub area and it helps get butts into their virtual door. And then there those that just like to give back.

I can easily point out double digit reasons particlar people past and present gladly mod here for free but there no sense doing that.

•••
I'm thinking there is a whole transition area that has not been properly tapped into yet, and perhaps that might be a catalyst for some growth here;

Going online is now not only for tech geeks and companies; even the almost-computer-illiterate are learning about blogs, websites, and domain names. There seem to be two main forces: domainers, and those who don't know about domains and must either 'learn a lot, quickly', or hire domainers. The latter group may be interested in purchasing or finding a domain for their personal use or company, yet when they go to learn about domains and domaining they're met by a massive wall of learning curve... and usually they don't want to become actual domainers and learn all this, they just want to learn the 10-minute basics and then buy or search for their domains.

Seems to me this foggy area hasn't been successfully bridged by anyone yet, and I am talking in terms of large-scale; in other words, having a part of the forum dedicated to new members who DON'T want to learn about domaining or become domainers, and yet will make it easy for them to learn what they need to know in a few minutes. I would suggest, if you're keeping the marketplace area up top, to make it more visitor-friendly -- or at least, make the immediately-visible part of it visitor-friendly for non-domainers. Something of a welcome to all noobs, but noobs who are not even here to become domainers per se. Maybe an obvious 'new visitors go here please', where a short 5-minute-read can apprise them of the absolute basics they'll need to know about regging/buying their domain/s, plus a few pitfalls to avoid. We don't necessarily need to tell them just how bad some registrars are (I will not even mention 1and1 here), just give them a short solid list of the ones with most domainers' stamp of approval. Give them tips like letting them know there are such things as discount coupons for regs, etc. All this can be written in very short, to the point form, at least as far as their needs go.

Then the marketplace might be overhauled and rethought, in order to make it more friendly to non-domainers as well as pros. So someone who needs to reg or buy a domain for their business or personal use, but doesn't want to become a domain trader, can use the marketplace to both peruse the names for sale, as well as possibly have a much stronger 'domain name wanted' area for them to post what they are looking to buy, for available regfee name suggestions all the way up to asking to buy premium names.

If that were to happen, it brings yet another business model area into play for NP: a proper escrow service. NP already has thousands of members... and we all go thru Sedo and other sites for escrow services. If NP set up a proper, secure escrow service, I for one would certainly use it over the other companies, and I'm betting many members would as well. This escrow could be very slick/streamlined to make it uber-userfriendly, for the non-domainers.

This would work especially if there were a split, or choice, platform: possibly the thread starter could have a 'start escrow transaction' button when the sale is decided, so we could choose, for each individual transaction, whether we wanted to go ahead without escrow as we do now for our between-members sales... or whether we want to use your escrow for the transac and pay your percentage fee (whatever that would be).

I for one love this idea, though I know it would involve quite a bit of thought and work on Namepros' part. However, it struck me as a solid possibility on these strengths:
- bridges the gap between domainer and non-domainer; allows those who want to reg or buy their own domains, but not 'become domainers', to visit NP easily and go through the transactions painlessly, without a lot of domain learning.
- offers a (proven lucrative) income addition to Namepros, that percentage of income from each escrow sale.
- allows new visitors, non-domainers, professional businesses and Joe Normal, to more easily buy and reg domains, and post want-to-buy threads, not for domaining but for end use.
- allows a secure but user-friendly escrow for new visitors, domainers, and non-domainers. Making it so easy for people and professionals who are not-domainers to come in, go straight to marketplace and start interacting with us about a domain they want, and then providing a simple and secure escrow for the trade...
- ...opens up, way way up, a closer interaction between domainers and end users. The ideal is to make that marketplace THE place for non-domainers to come to buy names easily, and do secure transactions. They get directly in touch with we domainers who can offer the kinds of names they're looking for, or offer brokering/acquisition to get them the name/s they want for their budget. In other words, rather than them hiring Sedo brokers etc., they just sign up here, forum-style (something many more people know how to do than, say, figuring out a Sedo account and hiring a broker there), and the interaction begins. Instead of one (overpaid?) broker working on their behalf, they have a forum's worth of people competing to either sell them the right name, or get them the best brokering deal.
- allows NP members to still choose not to use 'NP escrow', and save those fees; basically the choice to keep doing marketplace bi'ness as usual, or going thru NP escrow.

A lot to take in, I know. And needs a lot of thought and input. But I wanted to throw this idea into the fan :)
It's a great as-yet-untapped resource: people and businesses who want to buy a domain, but don't want to go thru the intense learning curve needed to suss things out at Sedo and other for-sale sites, as well as going through the intense learning curve of becoming domainers. Joe Public is largely helpless right now in the domain arena, they make a lot of poor regging/buying decisions on their own, and must hire domainers/brokers to do larger deals... but if someone were to fill that gap properly, bring the edges closer between domainer and end user, it would be both a wonderful service and a cash cow...

Lot more details to this, and I'm sure I wrote a mess of unusable stuff as well as a couple interesting points... but time to stop writing already :)

Last edited:
•••
Newbies, spammers, etc are nothing new. Can't blame that alone.

The more fundamental issue is many of the gung-ho domainers have departed forums due to various reasons ... ie. left the business, dialed it back, focused on development, etc.

The free-flowing days when anyone with a few dollars could do quick flips are long gone - it's far more challenging these days. The premium domains have mostly migrated to the hands of the few with the most of the other domains being marginalized, lucky to even fetch renewal fee. And consequently so have the users - people with top shelf premiums have departed / stay on the down-low.

And on top of that, forums in general, have been marginalized by social networking sites, in particular, Facebook and Twitter. Can't blame that alone, but it's another challenge forums face in retaining / growing their userbase.

As for what NamePros can do ...

* Reduce the number of topic areas. There are far too many.

* Hash out what needs NamePros can serve better than the various alternatives and run with that ... RJ and the new owner already appear to be honing in on the domain market place, which appears to be a good move.

* Add depth. Being only a forum is a losing proposition. Move the forums over to their own sub-domain, and put up a website on the main namepros.com domain...

Consider on the main site featuring domain market activity, general domaining info, development info, links / pages to related services, such as registrars, hosting, etc.

And very importantly, by adding depth and being more than just a forum, namepros can the leverage the numerous advantages of social networking while mitigating its drawbacks.

To digress a bit, social networking, in particular Facebook, is superior to VBulletin forums in so many ways. Even VBulletin itself recognizes this ... they've been sending out many promotional mailings in recent months touting how VBulletin software can be integrated into Facebook, Twitter, etc...

That's nice, but in the end, relying on such forum software changes alone is likely to lead to an unceremonious end, similar of newsgroups ... Remember those? Once the place to discuss stuff, but not anymore despite their popularity due to being replaced by the web - similar seems to be happening with social networking...

Rambling on, point is fighting the social networking trend with a forum is futile - think depth and build out NamePros beyond being only a forum.

Hope this helps.

Ron

•••
I doubt someone would spend serious money buying a forum without having real plans and expectations. I still would like to hear from the new owners about what they have in store. I've made my suggestions already.

1. Fix the forum to its former glory and beyond. I'm already working with staff on that, this week there will be some great changes.

2. Launch Bodis marketplace to compete with Sedo. Which gives users a new venue to buy, sell, and park domains at a much lower commission rate with more flexible terms.

3. Market Bodis service.

Furthermore, there are plans to integrate the Namepros live auction into our future Bodis marketplace/auction so that there is an actual system behind the bidding. Amongst other small ideas.

The idea is to revive Namepros and to grow my first business.

There are other things but I rather not give out all my secrets for now.

It's not just about my Bodis service, but about Namepros and Bodis together. And of course I will be concentrating on the marketplace. Anything that can help Namepros users sell more domain names and make it a better experience. At the same time, anything that can help Bodis grow its future marketplace and offer a better market than Sedo. It is a decision to mutually benefit both the community and my Bodis service.

Last edited:
•••
Lets say one is TheOboeSite.com, the other is 3dOboeChamps.com

TheOboeSite.com was populated by highly experienced oboe players. They compose, there are some concert oboists among them, they all have a high mastery of the instrument. As a new guy, this place isn't for you. One day maybe, but not now.

How is TheOboeSite.com doing? I would assume most are too busy composing, making money, practicing and performing professionally and occasionally mocking the lack of importance to the orchestra of those exotic french horns or the morons trying to make their fortune on, of all things, a grunge sound (I mean that's so late 90's - times have changed)

I have to wonder what do a site of experts have to talk about all day?
"I really think think that the second movement of that piece is spectacular!"

"Yes it is rather, do you think I could improve it?"

"Oh no. It's brilliant just like my pieces. It's just great, much better than anything at 3dOboeChumps.com"

"Scoff. Yeah, do you know how to get 5 Oboe Chumps to play in tune?"

"No."

"Shoot 4 of the losers...lol"

Now that's funny!

The real issue is that people need to get OUT of a forum what they put IN to the forum.

The problem with NP is too many people are trying to get something OUT of the forum (help, advice) and very few are willing to put IN to the forum. That's the case with every forum that isn't focused on a subject that people love.

Car forums, for example, are great because people love cars, love mods, love racing, love working on their car. It's a real hobby driven by passion. There's no competition for resources - everyone can buy the parts they need. You can work with and partner - there's GroupBuy potential. Everyone wants the coolest cars. Shared goals, shared experiences, shared passion. (Maybe the Oboe world is the same but I'm not sure so I changed forums).

Domaining isn't that anymore. It is, for most, an attempt to make a quick buck, a lazy buck, a buy-a-name-for-$8-and-spam-a-bunch-of-people-and-hope-to-sell-it-for-$500 buck. There's no passion, there's no love for the subject. Worse? There's competition for resource - there's competition for niches with finite resources.

Namejet, Snapnames, Pool and now Reberry KILLED the market. Playing poker with 5 friends can be fun - but not if two of them hold all the chips and you're not one of the two.

The difference between DNF.com, as an example, and Namepros.com is a few people who don't want to or cannot afford to give Adam DICKer $99 - the gap is rapidly closing. If 3dOboeChumps.com folded - that wouldn't bode well for the TheOboeForum.com in my opinion.

The biggest challenge in combing NP and Bodis is quite simple. Everyone hates Sedo because they do what we all want to do (charge a lot for little). A new platform, with lower commission, is still the same thing but with smaller margins. The second problem comes from the perception of what the forum is. Providing INPUT to a forum that seems non-profit or for the passion of a subject is different that putting INPUT into someone else's money producer.

A forum is the ultimate free market dream - make money while every one else does your work for you. They give you all your intellectual property and reason for being. If that relationship is too obvious you have to provide real benefit - that real benefit is a marketplace that works and is better than existing solutions - or they leave. I don't see how a forum fits in anymore - it sounds like it will just be a source for people to try and sell bad names - selling Pacers in the Ghetto, so to speak.

Sounds like Bodis has ideas that are beyond cosmetic so I wish him well. It'll be a challenge but one I'm sure he's up to. He has a vision which is half the battle - if he didn't have that I'd say he was doomed to failure but with vision who knows? Hopefully it's positive. There is a community that can benefit - even if they are chumps :)

---------- Post added at 11:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

Complete non-sequitur.

Every time someone clicks the "Thanked for this post" button I search for the "You're Welcome" button.

Last edited:
•••
...Have no idea how much NP makes each month but they did just sell for $200,000 - $300,000, from what I've read on some blogs, not sure the exact amount, so it's not like they're broke.

Well, we don't know that for sure. Perhaps Matt had to borrow the money, get some venture funding, or take out a second mortgage.

He could be eating ramen noodles every night (like I did when I was in grad school--15 cents a packet, LOL) as he tries to build up the forum and make new changes.

In any case, he's not obligated to reveal his financials on the forum.

;)

Mod positions on forums are typically unpaid.

I think Archangel (Randy) is doing a good job; I had an issue once (deleted post); he considered my point of view and brought back my post. I think that's the hallmark of a good mod, one who engages in give and take with members.

Scorpion Agency (Eric) seems really into this job; I had a question, and he answered it immediately and cheerfully.

I have had no recent problems with any of the mods (at first, 2008-2009, I ran afoul of some guidelines, but I was clearly in the wrong).

And sometimes members can get a little hot under the collar and post things that they wouldn't say in person. In that case, it's just better to admit it, self edit it, and move on.

It's good to have debates like this, but I wouldn't want to be called a name just because I hold a minority view, nor do I want to engage in attacking anyone else.

•••
I want to get these out, so forgive me if I double up on pre-existing suggestions...

1.) Get rid of the CLUTTER. We don't need people's avatars slapped all over everywhere, and we don't need a floating "back to top" link, etc.

If possible, convert to Simple Machines ( http://simplemachines.org ) - It's much nicer and is easier overall to use. If you have features here that there aren't mods available for Simple Machines, just have them created.

Additionally, buy the $90 Simple Machines "Store" plugin and let us all list items in it. Boom, you have an actual transaction system in place to replace the current "PM someone and hope they don't screw you" system.

NamePros just converted to forum w/trade to forum w/trade and fully featured online store.

It can even be restricted to users who have been around a while, etc., to exclude spam and newbies who may make critical errors.

2.) Standardize Moderating. Right now Moderators can willy-nilly warn someone for something, then let someone else pass on the same offense. For example, I was warned for a mild profanity... "a*s" if I recall correctly...

Try Googling "Site:Namepros.com F*ck" - without the astersik. Then try Sh*t. Then try everything else. You'll see a megaton of people who got to curse their brains out - but since I tend to rub people the wrong way, I got warned for a*s.

I've also been warned for things not in the rules. You can't abide by rules that you have no idea about - because they don't exist.

Standardize moderation above all else, because that kind of stuff drives away users.

That's about the long and short of it.

Last edited:
•••
Awesome thread. Somethings are cringe inducing for me to hear but it's good timing to get these topics out there. :]
In retrospect there are several things I wish I had done differently as the owner, between people I should and shouldn't have hired, policies and business decisions that didn't go right. It's all a part of NamePros growing up, and these missteps aside I'm pretty proud of what this place has grown up to be.

Ultimately the buck is going to stop with Matt on the big decisions from here on. I got us as far as I could, but he's the driver now. I do believe his energy and drive may be just what we need to get NamePros to the next level.

I see a few mentions of the decision to put marketplace above the discussion on the home page. This was done strategically; I felt that highlighting our marketplace would be our best shot at bringing in new domainers.

When I opened NP, it was our appraisals area that attracted a lot of new members. There were only a few big places for domain discussion. (NamePros being one.) Today the global domaining community is splintered between blogs, more forums, domaining conferences, news sites, Facebook, Linkedin and other social media channels. There are a lot of places to discuss, but still only a few big places where large numbers of domainers are buying and selling domains. (NamePros being one.)

It is easy to say "hold the course"... but not so much when you can see the numbers on their way down month after month. And you can see this in the Alexa stats. It not just NamePros either, DNF shows similar trend. Focusing on the marketplace was an attempt to carve a new niche for NamePros and regain some market share.

If the scrolling is an issue, maybe we can create a user option or tabbed interface that makes getting to discussion easier. In my opinion the whole homepage layout can use some further modernization.

I would love to hear more ideas on how to make this site better. I'm sure Matt would too! Thank you, keep it going! :tu:

RJ

Last edited:
•••
Fonzie,

first off, welcome to the forum and thanks for jumping right in with your candid, and well formulated, input on how to make NP an even better place.

Second, I must say that I agree with most everything you have said. I appreciate your analogies and your tough love, brutally honest perspective on NP, and how it may be perceived by others in the industry. I can only give "my" perspective on the forum, but it does seem that you are pretty well acquainted with the industry, other forums and what it takes for a forum to not only survive but thrive so I myself welcome your hard comments and suggestions.

The only point of yours thus far that I am not in agreement with is the singling out of a moderator and questioning the credibility of the forum because of how he looks (or whatever one might chose to focus on in the picture). How we look, as moderators, should not be the "deciding factor" on whether the forum is worth someones time or not in my opinion.... we are here to keep the forum running smoothly and HELPING people, NOT to "define" or embody the forum. Should we be a reflection of the forum based on WHAT we do? Absolutely. And I take the feedback regarding over-moderation very seriously. But I really do not feel that how we look/how much we earn should be the deciding factor on whether we should be allowed to VOLUNTEER our time to a forum that we care about. I did not offer to be a moderator because I feel I am a better domainer than someone else, or am an expert that everyone should listen to. Sure, I think that a suitable level of interest and knowledge regarding the topics in a forum that a moderator takes on should be there, but I don't think a moderator should have to be the pinnacle of the particular niche per se to volunteer and keep the forum clean and on track.

One thing I am curious about though is what brings YOU here now? You seem to already be connected with "other" forums that perhaps meet your expectations better. so why waste your time here when it looks like you, at your level, probably have little to gain by being here? Don't get me wrong, I am glad that you are here and really do believe that your perspective could really help make some beneficial changes but I guess I am not clear on "why" you would bother.... you seem to be precisely this "non-newbie"/experienced type of domainer that you quite accurately pointed out have wandered away from (or have avoided) NP and knowing what your motivation is for joining now, despite the "state of things" here currently in your opinion, might help us identify how to pull in more members like you.

Last edited:
•••
Domaining is a business tho. People who don't treat it as such, usually aren't in it.

You might not expect to get paid and like I said I agree with you to a point: "I understand being a mod out of respect of the owner, because it's a forum you really love etc."

But make no mistake, forums are a business as well. Of course along the way you'll make friends, network, have fun, help, get help, that's the great thing about forums.

I have a forum for one of my sites, not even big enough to need a mod but one person who's there everyday wanted to be one. I take care of her. That's the right thing to do. The admins liking your post are getting paid.

My point is a simple one, take care of your mods, the people that take care of your business.

I have to disagree with you about domaining being a business. I have been on both sides of the fence. I have domained for a hobby, As well as a full time job. I could have most likely kept domaining full time as a job had i wanted to. I figured out, And that through domaining that i wasn't as good of a domainer as i had thought, The competition was fierce, fast and furious. Domaining taught me how to compromise, Adapt and Overcome. Through that i learned that many opportunities exist. Domaining allowed me to open a music instrument store, Which i own and run today still.

Today i domain as a hobby, I make a buck here and there. Hadn't been for domaining, I doubt very seriously if i would own my music store today.

If you have a dream, Ride it, Don't let it go.
Although you may be at one place, That doesn't mean that is what is meant for you, What i am saying is, Namepros was my gateway to owning my business, And i will always be so grateful for what it brought me in the end.

•••
Thank you Bannen for starting this thread :) I have made it a sticky.

Thank you for the sticky, Michelle (egad... does that phrase sound vaguely physical?)

I noticed after the sale was announced that the most immediate response from people, including myself, was a sudden influx of ideas, almost like the members here have been waiting years to say these things. A whole list of things came to my own mind, and it seemed timely to organize these thoughts into a thread. More suggestions are percolating and I'll write as they solidify. Right now I'm chewing my cud over the concept of how to alter forumpost rules in a way that allows more interesting/exciting interactions yet maintains a barrier against chaos. That seems to be one of the most contentious issues for this (and most?) forums.

Namepros is my favorite forum, out of all domaining and non-domaining forums, so I guess I feel a vested interest in contributing to its growth. You people are great; well done to all creators and mods, and to all members.

•••
Thanks for this thread Bannen.

Here are some suggestions from me:

1. Discussion on the top (agree with Bannen and other members)
2. To get back the High Priced Section (Matt already was talking about that)
3. To delete "All domains for sale" (it was much better without it IMO)
4. To make it possible again to make comments in Domains Wanted section (to prohibit comments "PM sent" and similar, but make possible to us ask questions).
5. To make "Views" of the threads visible to all members not only topic starters.

Of course all IMO :)

•••
Thank you everyone for your contributions; I know RJ and Matt know this thread for what it is... suggestions directly from us members who want to keep this forum strong and contribute our thoughts towards how it might remain great, be improved according to our daily wants/needs, and to keep the entire forum growing with the changing face of the domaining industry.

I think it's clear that there are two primary areas we need to get into, if we want to talk about an increase in traffic and interest in these lagging times: threads (thread rules and moderation); and business model of the whole site.
Both are things to tackle over long discussion, so today I'll take a plunge towards starting some solid dialogue on threads.
I'll break it into two categories, general (rules, moderation) and specific (like/dislike certain threads/categories etc.):

A) General:
1 - Allow more thread comments by thread starters, but keep the obvious bumps limited
To help chip into the block of 'sterility', the sterilizing of threads so that they are dry and uninteresting except for the bare info they are relating, I feel like some of the rules might be changed/relaxed.
Personally I don't mind the limiting of 'bumps', but to also limit discussion by the thread starter (esp in the appraisals area) takes a lot of the interaction/excitement out of a thread, IMO. I agree to the value of limiting the 'bump' or 'thanks for your opinion, anyone else?' type posts that are obvious bumps and contribute nothing to the conversation, but I'd like the TS to be allowed to make other comments/debates/questions without them being removed as 'bumps' in appraisals and wherever else this happens. I know some TS will still be making comments simply to bump their threads, yet I believe it's better to allow this grey area, for fun/interest's sake, rather than whitewashing the threads. The appraisals section used to be exciting, much more than just dry informative info, and I for one would love to see it that way again. To get there, the bump rules might somehow be relaxed or changed.
This also applies to 'off topic' post removals and some other restrictions. For example, in the marketplace, many sellers still unfortunately post TM names for sale (see some of the above posts about this) and it would be more productive if we could all post there about the dangers of TM names. It's more productive when all of us can see these comments, rather than someone sending the seller a PM about it. The same applies to stats; for example a seller will post xx,xxx exact search results for a crappy name they are selling, and it would be more productive (especially for the watching newbies) for us to be able to post 'those are broad searches, exact searches for this term are x'.
Even more 'off topic' comments might be allowed in the various category types, remember that this 'grey area' is the area that keeps things colorful and entertaining, more than just dry info. The grey area is the area between sterile info/comments on one end, and chaos/anarchy/rudeness on the other end.
An ideal balance in this grey area is what keeps this forum more exciting, more visit-able to us... but I think currently we're much too close to the sterile end, I'd like to see more discussion on how to allow more grey area.

2 - Insults/offensive comments
Of course it is important to retain a professional attitude, show respect for each member and post, and not scare off tentative visitors/new users. However I also feel it's important to allow a lot of 'color' to the forum, where people can vent and express personal opinions even if those seem angry, judgmental, funny. To my eye this seems like the area of greatest concern and controversy here, and it's the area that has the most grey area, simply very difficult to establish clear, hard-and-fast rules without completely sterilizing the entire forum into dry lifeless toast.
I'm thinking out loud here, to get things started anyway: seems to me that direct insults, threats, attacks might be modded out (as they are now), but that 'indirect' offensive comments might be a grey area we can really work with.
In other words, you don't say 'You're an idiot, you're stupid for saying that, You don't know anything' kind of direct insult; yet perhaps it can be okay to be indirect and say 'I think that's a totally dumb idea, a stupid domain, I think your comment makes no sense'. In other words, get (almost) as offensive as you like, but not direct it towards the person, rather to what they're talking about. Seems like a fine delineation here, but it's actually a huge delineation and might well be clarified... in the name of allowing things to be expressed a little more colorfully.
The same principle works with threats; of course you don't allow direct threats like 'I got your ip, gonna find your home address and cut your throat, then gonna punch your momma so hard that it knocks all your relatives unconscious'; That's a direct threat and 'bad'.
Yet: 'SOPA is mongoose dung, I'm gonna find out where its creators live because they should be spanked and SOPA itself should be drowned and whipped until it screams the scream of a thousand breach births' seems to be a fine statement... even though it is rife with insults and threat.
Direct vs indirect: I think this needs some discussion and might help with threads, rules, and modding.

B) Specific (these are all 'IMO'):
- I'd like to see the 'all domains for sale' category axed.
- would like to see the 'premium domains for sale' category return.
- would like to see a more defined 'Resources' category where we could put all threads that are more about resources and less about discussion. All the registrar and host reviews could be there; available domain names, expiring domains could be there; I plan to soon begin a thread called The Domaining Dictionary, where I (and others) can post a good list of domaining terms and their meanings, a resource for noobs mostly, including terms they still commonly ask about like regfee, end user, x/xx/xxx/x,xxx valuations, what those kinds of things mean. Anytime anyone asks those questions in any thread, we can simply link them to the dictionary thread. Gonna start that thread soon, maybe this weekend (actually I just did, HERE ), and I think I'll put it in the newbie section, but would be nice if there were a well-defined 'resource category' for these kinds of things. Dozens of good resource threads can be put there, some that are already under other headings here, and some that can be invented like my glossary/dictionary thread. Even a well-written thread about TM issues could be put in the resources area, a thread about how to properly use Goog's keyword tool, etc, instead of us writing all these things out over and over again during appraisals and discussions. Quicker to have all these other resource threads, and just link to them.
- The VIP area still needs some thinking out, but I see there's a thread about that going on.
- Allow comments again in the 'Domains Wanted' threads. I know, I know - but allowing the comments keeps that area more interesting and busier, used to spend time daily there but now go there only once or twice a month, just too boring. Needs more thought.
- as mentioned in one of my prev posts, take out the automation in the appraisals section subject lines, allow for more interesting/entertaining subject lines to draw us in and make us laugh. You can still insist that the domain being appraised must be in the subject line. Mod out the obvious bumps but allow the OP to make more comments.

All right. I have more I'm sure, but those are enough personal thoughts to get some balls rolling. I'm gonna get mine off this chair and towards the kitchen.

Last edited:
•••
The issue here is a collapsing foundation, what most everyone is proposing amounts to a fresh coat of paint and some flowers.

The problem with this Namepros isn't aesthetic. It's cultural.

Namepros 'is what it is', or more accurately, 'has become what its become'. It suffers from a severe credibility problem. Outside of its own bubble, Namepros earned the reputation of a place where unqualified people exchange terrible advice amongst each other; the kind of place you hopefully graduate from and leave, rather than look towards when in need of knowledge.

In a sense, all domain forums have suffered from the cancer of clueless newbie overload, but Namepros is the case study. Quick glance at the appraisal or sale forums demonstrates 'the problem' in the most painful way possible.

Can the ship be righted? Maybe, maybe not. It certainly won't be righted as long as people keep ignoring the problem, or 'take offense' to anyone who dares speak about it.

I'd suggest a good first step is to reach out to credible people in the industry and get a few of them involved. You might be surprised who's willing to help out. Make it a place to learn, as opposed to its present state where a bunch of fantasists enable each others delusions, one Godaddy coupon code at a time.

Whenever a forum starts swirling the drain, the first thing clueless admins do is start fucking with irrelevant nonsense like forum structure, format, color schemes, etc as if that's going to change things. I guess it's a lot easier than having to face down the hard questions but let there be no doubt, the issue here isn't 'format'. It's way deeper than that.

Last edited:
•••
Suggestion - add a "Super Supporter" membership that allows you to put affiliate links in your signature. This membership can be twice as much (or more) as the normal "Supporter" membership.

You may be pleased to know that you are now permitted to add affiliate links in your signature at no extra membership cost :kickass: Just please remember the rules still stand that these are not permitted in posts.

We are listening to what people want and responding where possible. :)

•••
For those who don't wish to view user signatures, go to User Control Panel, then Edit Options where signatures can be turned off. Simple solution :)

Personally, signatures don't bother me - it's interesting to see what others put in theirs.

•••
Wendy was an AWESOME mod!! :tu:

Really sad that she isn't one anymore... and all because of a few losers who want to get away with whatever they deem is "appropriate" behavior.

rule_violation would be better suited for those individuals... the place where pricks congregate. :D

•••
Answering DU: I'm a suffer of type-2 neurofibromatosis with paralysis on the face and right hand, with multiple cranial tumors encompassing bilateral deafness. I do as I do because I like to be helpful with what life I have. I don't care about a pat on the back or a badge. I do what I do because I'm a good guy who likes being of help. Simple as that.

It's a crying shame that ppl believe they need compensation for their efforts. I've spent the last month building a database-driven website for a church. I've invested many hours into it. And I'm doing it all for free. The notion that everything requires a paycheck is sad and very disappointing.

On the behaving thing: That is open to speculation as of one's level of restraint. We're "identical to you non-mods," right? But we're not, as you pointed out with that statement of behavior. We try to act like normal users while abiding by the rules. And that doesn't entail us mods acting perfect. Wasn't there already an argument that mods are humans, too?

•••
I was a mod in the chat room some years back, Back when the chat room was used , We used to have 40 to 100 people in there. I never expected, Nor did i ever get paid one cent.

I really enjoyed modding, I did it for two reasons, I felt the chat room was a productive place to be able to talk domains, Smack and just have fun with friends. I never felt a need to be paid.

I guess when it comes right down to it, I felt i was performing a necessary duty for Namepros, Which had taught me domaining, brought me some of the most wonderful people i have ever met.

For you people that think domaining is all about making money, Pure business, You have a very rude awakening coming. A VERY SMALL percentage of the members here actually make a living domaining.

I value all the awesome friendships and knowledge that Namepros has brought me. Money can't buy that.

•••
I think the "design contest" section is a little hidden and shouldn't be a subforum. I have trouble finding it all the time and I'm looking specifically for it.

•••

I agree with Bannen's assesment:

...a lot of the pure fun of this forum has somehow left, over the last couple years. It used to be quite entertaining, practically daily there was a thread or three that were so entertaining, interesting, potentially volatile (?), that it was hard to not come back often to see how things were playing out.

I appreciate how difficult it is to moderate a forum, keeping the spammers, porners, haters, bullies, and scammers at bay, but it seems to me that part of the fun is the whacky off-topic posts that sometime pop up.

I see nothing wrong with a gentle reminder to get back on topic, but I cringe when I see a deleted post just because it was "off-topic" or it was a response to an off-topic post.

I don't believe that the mods are on a "power trip"; they are simply following the rules and TOS. Perhaps the TOS could be tweaked a bit to include a bit of fun and humor that does not include bullying.

Having said this, I would not like to see Namepros to morph into an "anything goes" forum.

I love this place and plan to stick around.

;)

•••
Thank you Bannen for starting this thread :) I have made it a sticky.

Last edited:
•••
There is a way to turn off those extra avatars. I use the Clean theme and I have them off
it's just like normal :tu:

Just go to USERCP and click on Edit Options, scroll down to "Show Avatars in Thread Listings"
and make the changes.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back