NameSilo
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Cant blame them for doing this. People are over thinking it though. Its saying we are so big just saying "GoDaddy" enough.

•••
I fail to see how some domain brokers can help you get top dollar for your dot com, at the same time they disown, even conspire to dethrone, the dot com.

•••
Cool, it looks more fresh this way.

Here come the gtlds!

•••
I fail to see how some domain brokers can help you get top dollar for your dot com, at the same time they disown, even conspire to dethrone, the dot com.

its not a conspiracy man. they like money like you and me. they are not suddenly racist against your .com's

hello opportunity..

•••

Just shows how well ingrained .com is with everybody. It's what naturally comes after the brand. Most of the other registrars don't have .com in the logo (dynadot, netsol, moniker etc.), most major merchants don't. You'll see it a lot with generic words still being used. Merchants like shoes.com, hotels.com, registrars like register.com. And that they're in the business of selling different extensions. Don't consider this much of a story at all.

Last edited:
•••
Well yeah, it will help and will have a psychological influence when selling all the upcoming crap extensions to noobs the coming years, when you don't show them that you prefer .com and also show it in your logo at the same time.

From $$$$$ point of view: wise decision IMO. hehe :)

•••
yeah, but when the "noobs" become the masses it becomes the new normal.

•••
Not to this point it hasn't.

•••
yeah, but when the "noobs" become the masses it becomes the new normal.

Agree to a certain extent.

But i doubt that buyers/investors/believers in the new tlds will become the masses.
People should learn from past experience.
We already had many new TLDs and good promo also from Godaddy and others (which by the way had the advantage of less competition), and non of them were successful (enough). Few weeks/months hype amoung domainers, then the dust settled and people were like: ok, nice, now give me my .com Now imagine thousands of new TLDs and all of them want a piece of the domaincake. They will wipe eachother off the domainmap.
It might influence the "incestuous" domainer market for a period of time as usual. But eventually we will experience the same outcome as we saw in the past. The only winners will be the Registrars and some of the TLD Operators.
Now one thing can happen, and that is destroying the whole admittedly fragile domain market (including established tlds) simply by flooding it.

•••
•••
Not if those 2,000 are under water and the 20 are hanging out at the beach. What have the masses done to this point with every other alternate extension already out there? Plus, there's way too many coming in a short window. We've had others come out, they had all the attention, all the eyeballs to themselves. Whatever success you want to give them call that X. Now there's going to be flood, watered down offering. It's going to be less than X.

•••
i just find it interesting how everybody is so sure of themselves about this.. most of this being based on a dozen TLD's being released over a dozen years.. we could look at the angle that it makes sense nobody has heard of any of these with there being so few in existence.

before we can even have the discussion about whether any certain 1 or 2 new gTLD's will be "successful" people have to know they exist as a whole. most domainers think that will never happen based on a dozen gTLD's being released over the last dozen years - sooo, the discussion makes the assumption that none of these businesses will do effective enough promotion of any of the 1,000's of TLD's that are about to exist in this new right-of-the-dot world, where any word is a TLD.

result = more than X
where X = chances of promotion by internet giants
X before gTLDs was only about a dozen

Last edited:
•••
I'm sure of it because there really is no end user market for them. That war has already been fought, .com won. It's more a battle for alternate extensions. Alternate extensions already exist and have for awhile now. What's going to make these new ones any more special?

"any of the 1,000's of TLD's"

That makes it worse, not better. When there's only a few out, the spotlight is on them. With the flood coming, too much, overload. What's going to make one of these new extensions valuable, when you can just pick one of the other new ones in the keyword you want? It's just a big watering down of the alternate extension market.

And when they start to come out, you'll hear the old "gold rush" marketing, it's already there. It's very basic marketing but it works, because there will never be a shortage of suckers out there with the "gold rush" dream.

https://www.google.com/search?q="go...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Last edited:
•••
I'm sure of it because there really is no end user market for them. That war has already been fought, .com won. It's more a battle for alternate extensions. Alternate extensions already exist and have for awhile now. What's going to make these new ones any more special?

"any of the 1,000's of TLD's"

That makes it worse, not better. When there's only a few out, the spotlight is on them. With the flood coming, too much, overload.

worse for who.. them losing money? these businesses are about to throw millions of dollars at the wall. its not my money - ill sit here and observe. the point is i have much more to observe than before when only a dozen existed.

also, a spotlight has never been put on gTLD's except in domainer land. but now the chances of a spotlight existing just went up drastically.

What's going to make one of these new extensions valuable, when you can just pick one of the other new ones in the keyword you want? It's just a big watering down of the alternate extension market.

maybe nothing will make them valuable to domainers. maybe thats the point. im talking about acceptance and usage as a whole among the public.. the "whats valuable" discussion is years away and irrelevant if gTLD's are still seen as second tier.

•••
"im talking about acceptance and usage as a whole among the public."

Way too much for the public to handle. Pick some keyword, they're so used to the .com. See the title of this thread. Now it'll be, what extension is that again? Confusion. And confusion is never good for business.

"the "whats valuable" discussion is years away and irrelevant if gTLD's are still seen as second tier."

Depends on what you're talking about. It's always going to be second tier to the .com and the country codes used in their respective countries. Or if you mean second tier to the already alternative extensions (second and on down tiers). It'll be novelty, lower tier type stuff. Not for serious businesses. Look at the alternative extensions already out and the promotion they've gotten. Front page of registrars, Superbowl commercials etc. And the spotlight was more on them, since they came out on their own. Again, call that X. The new stuff is going to be less, that spotlight is going to be scattered in many different directions. There just isn't a big enough market for it. Watch the registration numbers for these new extensions, it won't be more than what's available right now.

Time will tell.

Last edited:
•••
i just find it interesting how everybody is so sure of themselves about this..

nothing is 100% sure, when it comes to speculative things like domains. even .com domains can be worthless in 10 years. But, some predictions are probably more likely to happen than others.

most of this being based on a dozen TLD's being released over a dozen years..

at least the prediction that the new TLDs won't be that successful is based on certain kind of past experience. Even if the conditions of the past experience are not 100% similar to the conditions of upcoming events (1000s of new TLDs vs fewer TLDs in the past).

we could look at the angle that it makes sense nobody has heard of any of these with there being so few in existence.

Agree. This can be a different angle of view.

before we can even have the discussion about whether any certain 1 or 2 new gTLD's will be "successful" people have to know they exist as a whole. most domainers think that will never happen based on a dozen gTLD's being released over the last dozen years - sooo, the discussion makes the assumption that none of these businesses will do effective enough promotion of any of the 1,000's of TLD's that are about to exist in this new right-of-the-dot world, where any world is a TLD.

result = more than X
where X = chances of promotion by internet giants
X before gTLDs was only about a dozen

But on what exactly is the opposite view and prediction (success) based? Promo power of some Registrars and TLD operators for a short period of time which will magically change the habbits, confidence in established extension of billions of endusers (i intentionally exlude the "intranet" domainers market, since this market has no bright future anyway IMO and both the success or flop of this market is only for a short period of time and will probably be irrelevant soon).

Ok lets forget the other crap TLDs in the past and their flops.
Take the .us extension for instance.
Jesus christ, that is the reputable COUNTRY CODE TLD of USA with the power of neustar, all the godaddy promo and special .us price and active since more than a decade and still almost no one in US is interested in it, americans think .com is their extension.

I am not a .com fetishist or something, i have some personal preferences that differ from those of most other people who only like .com (for instance i very much like .us and .info extensions), but also i had to learn that (unfortunately) the market and endusers don't give a damn what i like or dislike.

Last edited:
•••
"im talking about acceptance and usage as a whole among the public."

Way too much for the public to handle. Pick some keyword, they're so used to the .com. Now it'll be, what extension is that again? Confusion. And confusion is never good for business.

the public wont need to "handle" anything..that implies they'll need to remember all the new gTLD's that exist. we already know that wont be possible.

i dont know all the brands of clothing that exist but some are still profitable.

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 PM ----------

But on what exactly is the opposite view and prediction (success) based? Promo power of some Registrars and TLD operators for a short period of time which will magically change the habbits, confidence in established extension of billions of endusers (i intentionally exlude the "intranet" domainers market, since this market has no bright future anyway IMO and both the success or flop of this market is only for a short period of time and will probably be irrelevant soon).

Ok lets forget the other crap TLDs in the past and their flops.
Take the .us extension for instance.
Jesus christ, that is the reputable COUNTRY CODE TLD of USA with the power of neustar, all the godaddy promo and special .us price and active since more than a decade and still almost no one in US is interested in it, americans think .com is their extension.

I am not a .com fetishist or something, i have some personal preferences that differ from those of most other people who only like .com (for instance i very much like .us and .info extensions), but also i had to learn that (unfortunately) the market and endusers don't give a damn what i like or dislike.

the opposite prediction is simply based on the amount of dollars being thrown around this time by extremely successful people/companies.

im even willing to believe the majority of them are idiots.. its the few that might be successful that make me curious, thats all.

•••
its not a conspiracy man. they like money like you and me. they are not suddenly racist against your .com's

hello opportunity..
I'm well aware that the motivation is money. I didn't suggest a conspiracy. Besides, you couldn't possibly know if there is or not, unless you were involved in one. That doesn't negate the fact that taking action to diminish dot com, however subtle, could damage the interests of those that have made a major investment in dot com. Do you seriously think that some prospective buyers of a dot com won't have a second thought when they see a comment like the following, from a major broker like Sedo.com?

"ICANN, the organization in charge of domain names, is planning a dramatic rewriting of the rules for web addresses that could reduce the overwhelming importance of the .com extension."

Please!

•••
I'm well aware that the motivation is money. I didn't suggest a conspiracy. Besides, you couldn't possibly know if there is or not, unless you were involved in one. That doesn't negate the fact that taking action to diminish dot com, however subtle, could damage the interests of those that have made a major investment in dot com. Do you seriously think that some prospective buyers of a dot com won't have a second thought when they see a comment like the following, from a major broker like Sedo.com?

"ICANN, the organization in charge of domain names, is planning a dramatic rewriting of the rules for web addresses that could reduce the overwhelming importance of the .com extension."

Please!

you're right actually.

most domainers are still in the denial phase though or the "this will only make .com stronger in the long run" :lol:

•••
you're right actually.

most domainers are still in the denial phase though or the "this will only make .com stronger in the long run" :lol:

And some domainers drink ICANN kool aid and want to believe that .com will diminish because they either don't have/never sold any good .coms, got took in by the gold rush dream. The reality, again, is there is no enduser market for them. Look at the top 500 internet merchants - http://www.internetretailer.com/top500/list/ How many can non .coms can you find?

Of course it will make .com stronger. Somebody out there that doesn't have a clue about consumer behavior, will try to build on some other extension, when somebody already has a .com. The .com will benefit from that confusion. The .com holders that have nothing but a parked domain, would love for somebody to try to build on another extension or a site in existence. Any promotion that somebody tries to do, a lot of that will bleed over to the .com.

Take a look at some of the other bigger sites on the internet. You'll find some random examples here and there of other extensions getting used, but it's mostly .com, when .biz, .ws, .us, .co, .me, .net, etc have been available. I posted about this before, go thru your bookmarks. What percentage of them are non .com? The reality is, any serious business knows you build on a .com. It's just too ingrained already. Even Schilling trying to make an argument for the new extensions but failed when he have examples of big companies trying to use another extension, failing and then going back to .com. Bud with Bud.tv, Overstock with o.co. These companies had the money, the promotion, couldn't pull it off.

I think everybody should try this, would be an interesting experiment. Back to what I posted earlier, go thru your bookmarks. Mine are mostly .com, handful of .net and .orgs, a rare other extension. No .biz, .us, .info, .ws, etc. can be found.

Last edited:
•••
This is excellent. Something to remember when all the new TLDs come out.

.COM is KING!

•••
And some domainers drink ICANN kool aid and want to believe that .com will diminish because they either don't have/never sold any good .coms, got took in by the gold rush dream. The reality, again, is there is no enduser market for them. Look at the top 500 internet merchants - http://www.internetretailer.com/top500/list/ How many can non .coms can you find?

Of course it will make .com stronger. Somebody out there that doesn't have a clue about consumer behavior, will try to build on some other extension, when somebody already has a .com. The .com will benefit from that confusion. The .com holders that have nothing but a parked domain, would love for somebody to try to build on another extension or a site in existence. Any promotion that somebody tries to do, a lot of that will bleed over to the .com.

Take a look at some of the other bigger sites on the internet. You'll find some random examples here and there of other extensions getting used, but it's mostly .com, when .biz, .ws, .us, .co, .me, .net, etc have been available. I posted about this before, go thru your bookmarks. What percentage of them are non .com? The reality is, any serious business knows you build on a .com. It's just too ingrained already. Even Schilling trying to make an argument for the new extensions but failed when he have examples of big companies trying to use another extension, failing and then going back to .com. Bud with Bud.tv, Overstock with o.co. These companies had the money, the promotion, couldn't pull it off.

I think everybody should try this, would be an interesting experiment. Back to what I posted earlier, go thru your bookmarks. Mine are mostly .com, handful of .net and .orgs, a rare other extension. No .biz, .us, .info, .ws, etc. can be found.

referencing existing internet merchants implies there arnt going to be any new businesses going forward. nobody is suggesting existing businesses are going to abandon their .COM's - this straw man keeps being brought up.

i actually agree with your post - but it has an expiration date built in... .COM will benefit from the confusion until right-of-the-dot TLD's are the new normal. it doesnt matter if its a money grab by ICANN. it doesnt matter that we dont need them.. they're coming by the thousands and while we're referencing internet giants and the power to influence - the applicants on that list definitely have it and stand to benefit by new TLD's becoming normalized.

•••
But new businesses are going to be dumb? New businesses aren't usually flush with money like a Budweiser or Overstock. And if they have smart people in their company, they're going to realize it's just easier with a .com. Be original*, come up with a name for $8 or go get one for a few thousand. It's always going to be cheaper and better off long term, than trying this other route. Tell me the benefits of trying the new route, vs. the $8 or a few thousand route. It's not there.

Just look at the travel sector, expedia, travelocity, orbitz etc. make up a name, $8.

And again, alternative extensions have always existed. The bookmark test is a good one. Because there needs to be development there for an extension to really grab a hold. I'm not seeing it with mine.

•••
But new businesses are going to be dumb? New businesses aren't usually flush with money like a Budweiser or Overstock. And if they have smart people in their company, they're going to realize it's just easier with a .com. Be original*, come up with a name for $8 or go get one for a few thousand. It's always going to be cheaper and better off long term, than trying this other route. Tell me the benefits of trying the new route, vs. the $8 or a few thousand route. It's not there.

Just look at the travel sector, expedia, travelocity, orbitz etc. make up a name, $8.

new businesses are dumb all the time. its when dumb becomes normal that im talking about. also, you cant always get the .COM for "a few thousand." sometimes its a choice between $500,000 or $8.

microbreweries are a big thing these days. often times ill watch someone inside a brewery with an overwhelming selection of beers sit down and this happens:

1) look at the beer menu - see 150 choices.
2) realize there is no bud light
3) slowly ask the bartender if they can "just have bud light" even though it wasnt on the menu

why did they order the bud light?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back