NameSilo
Spaceship
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
.. You plan on investing in any .mobis in the near future?

How's that relevant?

I'm saying that the change that is coming is the usage of the TLDs. It's not always going to be the same. It's not about always about someone buying a piece of undeveloped swamp land and investors making a grab for premium lots.

In some cases it's about someone buying an island and owning the ferry and building their very own internet Disney World.

Things will change. I don't know how except I imagine the cost cap on large domain purchases will correlate with the cost of your own personal tld - eventually.

•••
"How's that relevant?"

It's relevant because you know there is no good domainer or end user market for it. That's why you don't invest in it. So which one do you think coming up will grab a hold, .web, something else?

Last edited:
•••
"How's that relevant?"

It's relevant because you know there is no good domainer or end user market for it. That's why you don't invest in it. So which one do you think coming up will grab a hold, .web, something else?

It depends on the marketing plan. I think anything that tries to be a pure play open registration directly competing with ccTLD and .com will not do well.

The private names (brands .ibm, .coke or whatever) will be fine for their purpose.

The closed managed ones are a crap shoot depending on how well funded and well meaning they are. I think for example there is no reason a .Chicago or .Berlin couldn't be very successful for what they want to accomplish. Domainers have no role to play.

•••
"The private names (brands .ibm, .coke or whatever) will be fine for their purpose."

They already have their .coms and all the marketing behind it. They have no reason to use another extension. Then they have to figure out what to put before it, drink.coke? That's even longer than coke.com. Coke already learned their lesson not to mess with what works before with New Coke. Can't think of one good reason why a brand would change what already works. Maybe novelty, track campaigns.

•••
They already have their .coms and all the marketing behind it. They have no reason to use another extension..

The marketing rarely focuses on their .com and more on their brands. You're also focusing on large companies like the average domainer is selling single word brandables to the likes for coke or that is all that will drive future innovation.

That said, pretty sure the world will go dotless in the end.

support@canon
[email protected]

Nothing wrong with that Worth the money, probably. Doesn't help the modest domainer though, does it.

Local businesses using .City like an interactive local yellow pages works too. Again, not much good for a domainer.

But I'm done here. It's 2013 and this discussion could go on til 2014

•••
I'm saying that the change that is coming is the usage of the TLDs. It's not always going to be the same. It's not about always about someone buying a piece of undeveloped swamp land and investors making a grab for premium lots.

In some cases it's about someone buying an island and owning the ferry and building their very own internet Disney World.

Things will change. I don't know how except I imagine the cost cap on large domain purchases will correlate with the cost of your own personal tld - eventually.

you nailed it. bonus points for saying "i dont know" since everyone on the forums seems to have the entire puzzle solved already.

•••
It isn't like we all said "i think you should buy your domain from go daddy.com". I've always used the term GoDaddy. Reminds me of "the Facebook"

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back