NameSilo

.app .APP Registration

Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Now that .APP is rolling out I thought I'd share a little of our position in .APP domains. I'd love to know what others are doing.

We budgeted just shy of $100k for .APP domain registrations. Several we've already acquired and several we've missed. I'll update our pickups as I can without giving away our position. So far I will share that we picked up:
  • Wedding.app

Trademark Claim
I do have a domain that we registered that has to pass their trademark claim process... it is very generic, not sure who decided to try to call it a trademark, we shall see.

Our Why
To sum it up, Google is our why. I became a domainer back in 2000, when the domain really mattered in SEO. My hunch is that Google won't be able to resist giving some type of preference to quality .APP domain.

Even a small advantage in the SERs or even the Play App Search results, make generic .APP domains valuable.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Anything good?
Don't know if you think it's good. I got frustrated with GD not doing their job so i regged digicam and freeblog. Instant!

•••
Anyone reg toptoptoptoptop.....app yet? I'm too lazy to check.

•••
•••
•••
This guy works on the .app team for Google:

mcilwain.png

•••
Have all my preregs with Name.com, still pending. Whois says Name.com got around 50% of them, the rest is gone - the best ones ofcourse.

Grabbed cyberspace just now though, decent enough!

•••
I had pre-reg DISPENSARIES.APP at Godaddy. They're screwing around so I checked at Uniregistry and it was still available. So I put it in checkout cart, ate some ramen noodles, ironed my clothes, watched some rerun of Anthony Bourdain and took a leak. 30 minutes later when I went to complete checkout, the domain was gone. Someone bought it right from under me. I know it was one of you thieves. I know it! How could you?!

•••
I think it will be interesting to watch this list build... Good link!
As a reseller, I find it scary. Higher propotion of .apps flooding the reseller market shows sign of speculation.

•••
@JamieHines You might still get it at GoDaddy. The WhoIs shows:

"Registrant Organization: Pending Update"

•••
I had pre-reg DISPENSARIES.APP at Godaddy. They're screwing around so I checked at Uniregistry and it was still available. So I put it in checkout cart, ate some ramen noodles, ironed my clothes, watched some rerun of Anthony Bourdain and took a leak. 30 minutes later when I went to complete checkout, the domain was gone. Someone bought it right from under me. I know it was one of you thieves. I know it! How could you?!
haha.. not me

•••
As a reseller, I find it scary. Higher propotion of .apps flooding the reseller market shows sign of speculation.

isn't domaining speculation? whats your point

•••
I wish it was me, but it wasn't.

•••
isn't domaining speculation? whats your point
For any TLD to succeed, there should be an 'end user' acceptance more than ' reseller' acceptance. If more 'end users' are buying it, its is healthy and good for reseller market too. If, however, more resellers buy and there is less 'end user' buying, then it will flood the resale market and, potentially, it might fade.

Last edited:
•••
here were a couple of mine - gigs.app, seat.app, hugs.app, tux.app, rims.app, yen.app, icu.app, arcadegames.app, drivethru.app. Also had some travel related stuff and more stuff that is in the live event space like setlist.app that isn't worth much but I would probably develop someday. I did just grab bankaccount.app & trafficschool.app off uniregistry as google never resolved them and nobody else took them. Those are among the worst names on my list but since I didn't get many of them for $20 it impulse bought them.
bank account app, grace delete that one, all banking installations have their own apps, nobody would download a unbranded bank account app.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Why didn't you just snap it up at uniregistry!??

•••
bank account app, grace delete that one, all banking installations have their own apps, nobody would date download a unbranded bank account app.

probably hence why I called it one of my "worst names." but I have a budget and since I didn't get the other names on my list I grabbed it and will drop it in a year if .app goes nowhere.

•••
For any TLD to succeed, there should be an 'end user' acceptance more than ' reseller' acceptance. If more 'end users' are buying it, its is healthy and good for reseller market too. If, however, more resellers buy and there is less 'end user' buying, then it will flood the resale market and, potentially, it might fade.

the tld went live 2 hours ago. end users don't even know about it. what it shows is that there is a perception that something is undervalued and that there is a resale market. i know everyone here has an opinion and different strategies for different things but are we all so broke that we can't afford to gamble on a $20 domain in what is shaping up to be the best gtld?

•••
I ended up with 2 of my pre registered options. Kicking myself that I didnt get the one my wife’s business could have used. Should have paid the premium.

However I did end up with
Pager dot app
Blockchaintrading dot app

•••
the tld went live 2 hours ago. end users don't even know about it. what it shows is that there is a perception that something is undervalued and that there is a resale market. i know everyone here has an opinion and different strategies for different things but are we all so broke that we can't afford to gamble on a $20 domain in what is shaping up to be the best gtld?
Many end users would be aware of it. Registrars have been sending emails on .app launch almost 2 months back. Hence business users would have pre-registered on getting the emails. I did my pre-registration on April 12 on getting email from 1&1. Post that I also received an email from GoDaddy a week later. Hence, if anyone has registered domains for a registrar, they would have got the notification email

Last edited:
•••
Why didn't you just snap it up at uniregistry!??
I don't know. It wasn't a priority and I probably just didn't think about it because I was doing other things earlier before I looked into it. I usually blackout after vigorously masturbating. That may have been it. I probably should switch to nightly sessions instead of early mornings. I'll consult my shrink on that matter. Oh well.

•••
Slow down folks these are just domains not actual app. App users probably never bother those domains.

•••
I ended up with 2 of my pre registered options. Kicking myself that I didnt get the one my wife’s business could have used. Should have paid the premium.

However I did end up with
Pager dot app
Blockchaintrading dot app

was going to buy jewelry.app for my wife but it had a premium renewal so didn't want to pony up unless she 100% wanted to develop it. i think it was either $125 or $250 / year and went day 5 EAP

•••
Slow down folks these are just domains not actual app. App users probably never bother those domains.
What you mean you don’t get a functioning
App with each purchase, lol?

•••
What you mean you don’t get a functioning
App with each purchase, lol?

no but you get an SSL cert with every purchase at godaddy :). which is an oxymoron since godaddy didn't have any purchases

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back