Dynadot

.app .APP Registration

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Now that .APP is rolling out I thought I'd share a little of our position in .APP domains. I'd love to know what others are doing.

We budgeted just shy of $100k for .APP domain registrations. Several we've already acquired and several we've missed. I'll update our pickups as I can without giving away our position. So far I will share that we picked up:
  • Wedding.app

Trademark Claim
I do have a domain that we registered that has to pass their trademark claim process... it is very generic, not sure who decided to try to call it a trademark, we shall see.

Our Why
To sum it up, Google is our why. I became a domainer back in 2000, when the domain really mattered in SEO. My hunch is that Google won't be able to resist giving some type of preference to quality .APP domain.

Even a small advantage in the SERs or even the Play App Search results, make generic .APP domains valuable.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There doesn't appear to be much interest in .APP on here for some reason. Maybe everyone's keeping their cards close to their chest in the lead up to the the final phases of registration and go live...

•••
Maybe everyone's keeping their cards close to their chest in the lead up to the the final phases of registration

No doubt.

As of today I can report more...
  • Trucking.app
  • Towing.app
  • Moving.app

As you can see we're sticking with generic, with the added requirement of, there being obvious simple Apps that could be made for the industry.... since we buy to develop, not resell.

I think having at least a basic App in mind is important with .APP since that was and is the intention of Google's use for their TLD.

•••
@drewwash Thanks for sharing your approach/domains btw. I certainly find it interesting to see.

Wedding.app is a great name, I search for that... not cheap!

•••
As i know, it's just pre-release period for .app, right?
So how can you ensure that you will get those names?

•••
As i know, it's just pre-release period for .app, right?
So how can you ensure that you will get those names?

It is currently the EAP (early access period) for .APP right now. It's possible to register them now for a fee.

•••
No doubt.
I think having at least a basic App in mind is important with .APP since that was and is the intention of Google's use for their TLD.

My thoughts exactly when I purchased Logo.app last night.

•••
Last edited by a moderator:
•••
•••
Most of the
So it costed you 1k1 to acquire?

It can cost much more than that. As of now prices are less. Every day the priority price comes down. But I've been burned on the trying to save $1k here or there.

•••
... just got off the phone with GoDaddy. Trying to save money I missed out on some major domains. Not sure what I was thinking. $1k more and I would have had Sales.app yesterday. But nooo... my cheap ass wanted to save the money.

Ugh. Oh well... didn't need it.

•••
•••
When i buy/reg a name, i always imagine the releasing price for it. over 1k or 2k for a name is not too much, but i hope you guys could get true offer for those names.

•••
Sales.app would surely have been a nice one to have, great name.

•••
I picked up takeout.app

I thought it would make a fantastic app for take out menus/ordering etc.

Last edited:
•••
Little bit pessimistic post.
1. What I can do with app domain?
A. Visit the domain and download app?
B. Visit the domain for web app?
2. Is business or company name ending app brandable?
3. How to convince people it is not play store or iapp etc. but a domain?
4. How can I run a standard website proudly while people thinking it is an app?
5. Is not people usually download app from stores?

Last edited:
•••
I picked up takeout.app

I thought it would make a fantastic app for take out menus/ordering etc.

I was looking at takeout.app. I just registered socialmedia.app. Crazy it only has a $17 renewal.

•••
Little bit pessimistic post.
1. What I can do with app domain?
A. Visit the domain and download app?
B. Visit the domain for web app?
2. Is business or company name ending app brandable?
3. How to convince people it is not play store or iapp etc. but a domain?
4. How can I run a standard website proudly while people thinking it is an app?
5. Is not people usually download app from stores?

You do make some valid points Galaxy , the way I look at it ,
is that the .app is really for the people who have currently have apps businesses or games on the App Store or for new developers wishing to push their business .

And the .app domain
example
VirtualReality.spp once clicked will just take you to the App Store were it’s Either a game app News app our selling products online app.

Other example is ,a 1 word like except.app would be useless

So got to be real careful registering one word names they really have to mean a product or service ,a shop or a game .

.app domain is really like a landing page which will promote your online app Business , games , services , online shops , but some people will get caught out , when they register one word domains that mean absolutely nothing As a app

Good apps

Wedding.app
Games .app
Takeout.spp
Car.app
Hotel.app
Fashion.app
Forex.app

Bad apps

Will.app
Nothing.app
Were.app
Said.app
What do these Actually mean as app.

I may be totally wrong but the the way I see it
.app is a kind of landing page that will Direct you to your app business

Last edited:
•••
I just registered socialmedia.app. Crazy it only has a $17 renewal.

Yes, there are certainly some good ones in there that seem to have slipped through the net that don't have an exorbitant reg/renewal price. I'm not sure whether that's normally the case for these new gTLDs.

•••
My last planned round of priority .APPs. Well short of the domains I hoped to pick up... but oh well. Saves money for other things.
  • Urgent.app
  • Inspector.app
  • Inspectors.app
Total of 7 .APP domains. Pretty sure that basically doubles my non-.COM domains.

Still a couple others that may go through. I used GoDaddy and they had a "registration error" on one of the domains that they are looking into. :-o

•••
Have you ever invest in .COM, Drew?
Or just starting buy invest in Premium .APP ?

•••
Have you ever invest in .COM, Drew?
Or just starting buy invest in Premium .APP ?

Primarily .COMs. Doing what we do since 2000. Buying and developing .COMs.

•••
I may be totally wrong but the the way I see it
.app is a kind of landing page that will Direct you to your app business

Agree. The domain has to be something that makes sense as an app too. I typically Google around when I'm looking for an APP though.

So more that other new TLDs, there is a function associated by it... backed by the primary Android App store operator Google.

Seems to create a while new purpose and opportunity. Which sounded like opportunity to me.

•••
As the owner of many domains such as forexapp in king among many others, I know the offers, and values that come in thru inquiries, and most of these people speculating in eap will be burned!

Sorry to say it, but I am just telling you the truth.

Last edited:
•••
I would leave this one for the end users, people buying early for resell, probably will get burned. Have some/sold some keywordapp(s).com and just not buying anymore. Namebio has 517 reported sales of .com ending in app, only 9 $10,000 and up. If you're buying at 4 figure and up now and I don't even know the renewals on these, risky.

•••
Back