IT.COM

.app Some people are missing the point with .app

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Truespin Domains

Top Member
Impact
I keep hearing people say things like - what's the point of .app when you simply visit the app store and download the file.

That might be the situation TODAY, but in the coming years we're going to see a real shift towards Progressive Web Apps (PWA) - apps that essentially run in your browser.

Google are already doing this to a certain extent with their Chromebooks, but I very much believe that in a few years downloading an app will be considered pretty outdated. We stream music and we stream video - the same model will soon apply to apps.

With websites and apps essentially merging, developers will increasingly want to differentiate functional applications from standard websites, and this is where the .app domain is likely to come into play. Icons on your phone will increasingly link through to websites - .app websites!

So, before you dismiss .app, think about the evolution technology, not just where we are now.

I think a lot of rubbish is being registered, but .app names that are applicable to mobile apps could be quite in demand.

The SSL requirements will also prevent spammers from using the domain, meaning that it's likely to become a highly trusted extension, known for quality applications. And let's not forget, Google is pushing this extension. GOOGLE - the most influential company in the world, and the company that controls a vast proportion of the app and mobile phone market.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This is so short sighted. In fact, it's not just short sighted - it's wrong

Ok talk to me in 2 years or 5 years and let's see....we see this happen all the time..its pump and dump with these names

All im saying is the apps wont be web-based like mentioned above and we wont be using .app names to do that....we will keep downloading them on our devices

Yes you can download data you have paid for and store it either locally or in the cloud. Im not streaming it, Im watching a downloaded version and I use the cloud just for storage...pretty simple really, not sure why you didnt understand that part...lets wait and see how .app develops shall we 😉

Last edited:
•••
•••
Whilst your viewpoint is logically sound, it ignores the fact that APP has become a cultural phenomenon.

Hi

readers take note:

this member totally disregards the logically sound premise put forth by another, to assert a "fact" that 'app' is a cultural phenomenon.

though use of apps is popular, the association between an application and the new .app extension is not the same.

like others have mentioned, will history repeats itself again?

.mobi was predicted to be primary browser for mobile phones, prior to release of iPhone.
that speculation lead the land-rush for .mobi extention.

but Good Luck to those who will still pursue.

imo...

•••
You managed to select probably 3 of the worst received gTLDs. .Cars has 312 registered domains (Probably due to the $2k reg fees on them, but also there aren't many practical uses for these names), rentals 10k and loans 4,234.

I agree, these tld's are not growing b/c the renewal prices are high. Speculators can't afford them, end users can find less expensive alternatives.

As a brand, a name like home.loans or vacation.rentals makes sense for a company that can afford it.

Last edited:
•••
One thing is for sure .app is causing a lot of discussion from both sides of the fence which is quite healthy. Personally I think the app market is a tiny percentage of the global market which is what .com targets. One can argue back and forth and in the end .app will probably have a good presence but other than a lucky few speculators will be left in the dark.

•••
Yes it is a lot of pump and dump.

Putting .APP aside for a second

These are just articles/events, I can show you 100 articles on downloadable alls too. They way have these with "new tech" comlanies are working on, how many of these actually become mainstrean..very very few and even if it did, would they be using .app names which is the discussion here. I don't think so.

Lets see what happens in a few years and whether they are using .app names for this.

And No, lets not put .app aside, this is what the thread is about. Lets rather put my opinion aside about web apps aside, because after all, my opinion is just an opinion and won't really impact on what happens with apps or web apps.

Lets remember this thread and come back to me in 2 years and lets talk again.😉👍

Last edited:
•••
I don't care what anyone says, I like .App. It's appropriate in today's screwed up world. Now let's talk about getting rid of the other 100's ridiculous extensions.

•••
I think the primary use of .app will be as support pages for apps. General advice is that each app should have its own domain address, and I think that there is a lot of logic to the app extensions for this use. I am more impressed by how rapidly app sites are getting up and running, than the total registration numbers. As I interpret the latest in the zone and parked data, now about 16,000 are up and running on APP.

That potential market is significant. Between Android, iOS and the others, the total number of active apps is more than 6 million (not counting other types of apps, such as browser plug ins mentioned earlier in this thread). Good app statistics at following link:
http://www.businessofapps.com/data/app-statistics/#2

The number of new apps released per day is dropping but still a very significant number. As I pointed out on Twitter yesterday (https://twitter.com/AGreatDomain/status/994950045215539200), even if you count Android only there are more than twice as many new (not counting updates) apps released each day as the typical total number of Namebio recorded domain sales.

Having said all of that, I don't see an easy path for many to make much money off app resales. Existing app names are protected under UDRP. So the trick is to predict a name someone will want to call an app (or a few related uses such as app developer, reviewer, etc. related).

I think the July Google search change re https, and the app requirement for secure implementation, will be game changing. I think quickly some of the other TLDs will follow that.

Google have done everything right in this launch, imho.

•••
Nothing will matter but end-user adoption.

•••
Very simple guys. Companies, small businesses, entrepreneurs and developers will buy these ..app as they all just have and continue. Those are the very same people who are buyers too. .app will be used and adopted and widely accepted by the average user. No one will not trust a .app when it’s so much harder for a negative experience compared to other tlds.

Hi *******,

Hope this email finds you well.

I am writing as we have had an inquiry for the domain '*****.app'.

As part of your account with ******* we would be more than happy to put you in contact with the potential buyer if you are interested in selling the domain! :)

If you would like an introduction, then please let me know if you would like me to give them your contact details, and if so, which ones. Of course, we won't give out any information without your express permission to do so.

Best wishes,

Let the games begin

•••
.app is missing two letters in front of it cr.app

•••
Just my thoughts...
That might be the situation TODAY, but in the coming years we're going to see a real shift towards Progressive Web Apps (PWA) - apps that essentially run in your browser.
Since I can't predict the future (and my ego sure isn't big enough to stay anything definite about what going to happen in the future), ....kinda of neutral about this extension!

I do remember all the hype about "mobi" and a few others extensions, how they were heavily promoted by some big names in the industry!

Yes, Google did have a few failures and probably more to come....can anyone name a big business that hasn't had any failures in its history?

Basically, what I am saying I respect everyone's opinion but nothing "written in stone" ..

Anyway, wishing anyone that did invest in the ".app" extension, succe$$!

Again, just my opinion...

•••
i think google's primary purpose for spending $25 mil on .app was to keep it out of the hands of Apple...
perhaps google will forced all those android app to buy .app domain or getting kicked out from google play store LOL

•••
I keep hearing people say things like - what's the point of .app when you simply visit the app store and download the file.

Google are already doing this to a certain extent with their Chromebooks, but I very much believe that in a few years downloading an app will be considered pretty outdated. We stream music and we stream video - the same model will soon apply to apps.

With websites and apps essentially merging, developers will increasingly want to differentiate functional applications from standard websites, and this is where the .app domain is likely to come into play. Icons on your phone will increasingly link through to websites - .app websites!

So, before you dismiss .app, think about the evolution technology, not just where we are now.

I think a lot of rubbish is being registered, but .app names that are applicable to mobile apps could be quite in demand.

The SSL requirements will also prevent spammers from using the domain, meaning that it's likely to become a highly trusted extension, known for quality applications. And let's not forget, Google is pushing this extension. GOOGLE - the most influential company in the world, and the company that controls a vast proportion of the app and mobile phone market.
If all apps are going to be basically websites, do you still call them apps?

•••
•••
Any new domain extension is a gamble, but it is obvious they aren't going away...

Considering this one is backed by Big G it was worth a few bucks to roll the dice since the odds are a little better.

If all apps are going to be basically websites, do you still call them apps?

When a lot of apps are actually just websites served in an app framework - are they still called apps? :xf.wink:

•••
Whilst your viewpoint is logically sound, it ignores the fact that APP has become a cultural phenomenon. People LIKE apps. Companies like MS will always follow the dollar, so if they feel they can get more people using their products by using .app then they will, Google owned or not.

can you show us the data about the "cultural phenomenon" of the .APP?
thank you

•••
To me right from the start .APP and .CLUB were the only ones that seemed to make sense from end users POV. I think the usage will be for app developers and companies with apps or web apps... who want to start with a catchy one or two word. The .COM they desire wouldn't be in their grasp and the .IO and .CO and other less desirable ones seem ok ok but not solid. I think this is the big one! No way on par with .COM but the few that can compliment bad .COM names with good app names.

Happy to see Rick back in action!! :xf.love:

•••
I still remember why most webmaster buy dot com, rather than other extension such as net or etc. because some pople said, I.e Spammer, they said if we use dot com, our spamblog, can reach page 1 smoothly! thousand and thousand webmaster test and try that Theory, and the result are quite shocking! I.e a half true!
for some reason Google prefer dot com in pageone rather than other extension!

So if google flooding page 1 with dot app probably I will bet on app, at least when I do Outbound I can give some lame excuse to end user, why they should buy dot app than com. ! but without google significant move to his extension i.e dot Apps flooding SERP probably I wont take ur theory seriously :xf.grin:

Disclaimer:

its just my 2 cents, don't take it personally:xf.grin:

•••
I still remember why most webmaster buy dot com, rather than other extension such as net or etc. because some pople said, I.e Spammer, they said if we use dot com, our spamblog, can reach page 1 smoothly! thousand and thousand webmaster test and try that Theory, and the result are quite shocking! I.e a half true!

So if google flooding page 1 with dot app probably I will bet on app, at least when I do Outbound I can give some lame excuse to end user, why they should buy dot app than com. ! but without google significant move to his extension i.e dot Apps flooding SERP probably I wont take ur theory seriously :xf.grin:

Disclaimer:

I found google prefer the portion of text before the dot and after dot it ignore. Coincidentally most websites are dot com specially those quality websites.
Thus I dont think google prefer dot com in page one.
Many dot net, dot org, dot io etc. and dot other cctld I can found in page one. I think if an dot app is quality one, well known or a brand name google will show it not only page one but first result of page one.
But the fact is people prefer dot com,
people only remember the text or sound before the dot and not after the dot.
But I found google prefer lot of Youtube results on page one. Sometimes it looks like video search engine.

•••

Disclaimer:

Google doesn't 'prefer' .COM, it's simply more prolific and thus this is reflected in the search results...?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back