Domain Empire

.app .APP Registration

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Now that .APP is rolling out I thought I'd share a little of our position in .APP domains. I'd love to know what others are doing.

We budgeted just shy of $100k for .APP domain registrations. Several we've already acquired and several we've missed. I'll update our pickups as I can without giving away our position. So far I will share that we picked up:
  • Wedding.app

Trademark Claim
I do have a domain that we registered that has to pass their trademark claim process... it is very generic, not sure who decided to try to call it a trademark, we shall see.

Our Why
To sum it up, Google is our why. I became a domainer back in 2000, when the domain really mattered in SEO. My hunch is that Google won't be able to resist giving some type of preference to quality .APP domain.

Even a small advantage in the SERs or even the Play App Search results, make generic .APP domains valuable.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
@Keith I know your thing here on NamePros is to take out your negativity on other people, but I've got no patience for it.

•••
That’s a big rookie mistake. Nobody should buy hundreds of domains in any new extension.

users try for 100's at a time knowing and hoping only a few would execute.

•••
@Keith I know your thing here on NamePros is to take out your negativity on other people, but I've got no patience for it.
How have I been negative? I’m asked real questions.

•••
•••
I think I tried for 8 or so, at different registars. Just waiting to see if any come to me now.

•••

With fair certainty, I can basically guarantee you that had I gotten these names I would've been able to flip them today for more than $20. And I know that this is a gamble and that .app is a new extension.

A rookie mistake is paying $1999 with a $1999 for a renewal in a new GTLD, not $20 for a 3 letter common dictionary word + .app that could be used as an app name in my business space.

•••
And if hundreds execute?

not possible; during the .co phase users knew out of hundreds of domains only a few would execute; If all 100 did execute then you managed to get all the domains you wanted but with a hefty expense lol.

•••
•••
Then lots will be dropped in 1 year. 🤣

Pretty interesting take without knowing the names I preregged. And clearly someone wanted them since none made it past 0:00:01

•••
With fair certainty, I can basically guarantee you that had I gotten these names I would've been able to flip them today for more than $20. And I know that this is a gamble and that .app is a new extension.

A rookie mistake is paying $1999 with a $1999 for a renewal in a new GTLD, not $20 for a 3 letter common dictionary word + .app that could be used as an app name in my business space.

Agreed, but the middle line of both cases was the best road to take.

Get those $130USD EAD golden nuggets, $15-$40 renewal names on the EAD 5-7 days period.

If you have a smaller budget then one or two of those guaranteed is better than 40 unguaranteed.

As always, certainty over doubt.

•••
Pretty interesting take without knowing the names I preregged. And clearly someone wanted them since none made it past 0:00:01
True. It depends on the users pockets, as well.
We all know that there are people on here that will put all their money into many domains, not sell any, and cannot afford the renewal.

•••
Then lots will be dropped in 1 year. 🤣
I’ll still never understand going after quantity over quality. There’s a reason why lots of names are priced at $20 but very few are $1000.

•••
Any more luck with registrations/ allotments?. My 3 other names are still stuck in processing

Anyone with luck, pls share the domain name alloted along with registrar. Will help in analysing who is doing a more effecient job.

Last edited:
•••
I’ll still never understand going after quantity over quality. There’s a reason why lots of names are priced at $20 but very few are $1000.
Huge domains is an example of quantity. They have a lot of crappy domains. They have some good ones, as well.
It all depends on the owner.

•••
Any more luck with registrations/ allotments?. My 3 other names are still stuck in processing

Anyone with luck, pls share the name domain name alloted along with registrar. Will help in analysing who is doing a more effecient job.

Check the whois at dynadot. Its updated and will show if you got the name you wanted.

•••
Agreed, but the middle line of both cases was the best road to take.

Get those $130USD EAD golden nuggets, $15-$40 renewal names on the EAD 5-7 days period.

If you have a smaller budget then one or two of those guaranteed is better than 40 unguaranteed.

As always, certainty over doubt.

This is the road I took. I regged a few in the EAP that I really wanted or plan to develop and the rest of my list I preregged.

The problem with "quality" is the renewal. I wouldve paid $3kish for a few names but they were $1000-2000 PER YEAR with renewal. I had a few others like concerts.app that I could've got day 5 for $130 but thats another $130 per year. With that math I took socialmedia.app and paid a few hundred more on the front end but with $20 renewal it will be cheaper in 3 years.

•••
My 2nd pre-registered domain (this time with yay just 3 hours back) has just been allotted to me. Cool .

The name is mysocial/app

•••
My GD .app orders are stuck like you other guys - so I had to go to uniregistry and the same ones were regged immediately. There are definitely some good ones left at reg-fee, and I found one I didnt think would be available or would have a high pricetag for ~$50 fee.

•••
Check the whois at dynadot. Its updated and will show if you got the name you wanted.

dynadot still showing some as taken by a registrar but not resolved the owner yet. might mean an auction.

•••
My GD .app orders are stuck like you other guys - so I had to go to uniregistry and the same ones were regged immediately. There are definitely some good ones left at reg-fee, and I found one I didnt think would be available or would have a high pricetag for ~$50 fee.
would you like to share the names? will help us understand if it was in competition

•••
dynadot still showing some as taken by a registrar but not resolved the owner yet. might mean an auction.

From what I understand, there can only be 1 buyer per release category at Yay. So if you were the person who pre-ordered at Yay, then its yours.

•••
Finally reg 2 from uniregistry! Bye bye GD

•••
•••
would you like to share the names? will help us understand if it was in competition

here were a couple of mine - gigs.app, seat.app, hugs.app, tux.app, rims.app, yen.app, icu.app, arcadegames.app, drivethru.app. Also had some travel related stuff and more stuff that is in the live event space like setlist.app that isn't worth much but I would probably develop someday. I did just grab bankaccount.app & trafficschool.app off uniregistry as google never resolved them and nobody else took them. Those are among the worst names on my list but since I didn't get many of them for $20 it impulse bought them.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back