Dynadot

.app Do you think .app extension will raise demand?

NameSilo
Watch

isankett

Established Member
Impact
Google now opened for .app domain extension for evreyonel to purchase.
Do you guys think it's only for developers or it could be in demand just like other top extensions?

Please share your views on .app future in domain flipping.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yeah man, I'm sorry but Dieting.app has already been taken, it's registered at Name.com through the EAP (Early Access Program) . Sorry bro :grumpy::grumpy:. Posting such a great name on that other thread probably prompted someone to register it through EAP.

You need to look for names that you can get right now at the EAP price, like the price quoted on Uniregistry.com when you search for a .app.
but then why GD deducted my funds?and why they confirmed its mine?

•••
•••
•••
this is what my question is..if i did pre registration then its not mine lol
Yeah, there is pre-registration phase for each day: 1st May, 2nd May, 3rd May, 4th May, 5th May, 6th May, 7th May and then general availability on the 8th May. The registration fee gets less expensive every day.

If you pre-register at Godaddy for one of the phases and more than one person pre-registered it it would go to auction

I suspect that cause the cost was 20 USD you have pre-registered for the phase 8th May, but because the name has been taken in this phase it's gone.

•••
Yeah, there is pre-registration phase for each day: 1st May, 2nd May, 3rd May, 4th May, 5th May, 6th May, 7th May and then general availability on the 8th May. The registration fee gets less expensive every day.

If you pre-register at Godaddy for one of the phases and more than one person pre-registered it it would go to auction

I suspect that cause the cost was 20 USD you have pre-registered for the phase 8th May, but because the name has been taken in this phase it's gone.
then i wuld pass on it..no need to enter in auctions and if someone else took it..let them take it, my question is the money i paid is also gone?right?

•••
then i wuld pass on it..no need to enter in auctions and if someone else took it..let them take it, my question is the money i paid is also gone?right?
I'm not sure. I hope not...

•••
It says that "pre registration - if you are not awarded the name, you will receive a full refund.".

I'd suggest asking them for the refund now, because you know that the name has gone already.

•••
It says that "pre registration - if you are not awarded the name, you will receive a full refund.".

I'd suggest asking them for the refund now, because you know that the name has gone already.
yes lol talking with them so its meant i had to pay 100+ usd to get this name asap? no need i think i have to pass then

•••
yes lol talking with them so its meant i had to pay 100+ usd to get this name asap? no need i think i have to pass then

Yes it would have been $100+ at this stage to get the name. But even $100+ won't get you the name now.

•••
Yes it would have been $100+ at this stage to get the name. But even $100+ won't get you the name now.
GD staff said we will refund as soon its confirmed that domain is gone.
so i think its cool preregistration sucks.i didnt knew its not surety

•••
GD staff said we will refund as soon its confirmed that domain is gone.
so i think its cool preregistration sucks.i didnt knew its not surety

If it makes you feel any better, they have just sent me an email stating one of my pre-registrations is now taken. They will be refunding within 24 hours so I will have my money back quickly. Hopefully you will find the same.

•••
When preregistrating an domain, you basically just place yourself in line with all the rest who does the same (at whatever registry they use), and at minimum fee for that certain domain. If a domain does not get registered (full price) before the 8 day periode, it will go to open registration phase. Each registry will try to secure submitted preregistrations, it all boils down to who is first. If you don't get it, you will be refunded.

Premium domains will obviously have more preregs in, and most likely be registered within those 8 days.

•••
Glad to hear you havent had issues.
I had issues - but no any scam or steals.
If sometimes were errors in their invoices - they all were corrected per my email request to the Billing or Solutions department of 1and1.

Last edited:
•••
I placed a few orders through godaddy. Looks like all have been taken and I've been refunded. Oh well. I have no problem with that at all. Back to .com for me.

•••
Be careful because most of the .com extensions already have xxxapp.com on them.So buy it to target the same market and given the domain price will be a very tough road unless you are going to develop it yourself.

•••
Be careful because most of the .com extensions already have xxxapp.com on them.So buy it to target the same market and given the domain price will be a very tough road unless you are going to develop it yourself.

as discussed, i think most people here investing in .app believe that in the long run food.app is a better name than foodapp.com and thus consider them different markets.

•••
as discussed, i think most people here investing in .app believe that in the long run food.app is a better name than foodapp.com and thus consider them different markets.

Yes, and lets hopes it turns out that way, meanwhile lets not ignore the end user's long time romance with .com,the curse which has impeded .net's growth for very long time, .app might work, but its market will be very narrow.

•••
Yes, and lets hopes it turns out that way, meanwhile lets not ignore the end user's long time romance with .com,the curse which has impeded .net's growth for very long time, .app might work, but its market will be very narrow.

Nobody is ignoring .com. In fact we are looking at .com. Specifically that you can get a 7-8 figure .com like pizza in the .app extension for 4 figures.

This is not an apples to apples comparison its all about risk/ reward with having a vision towards where the future could potentially go. Its a gamble like crypto but with a tangible asset that has ultimate scarcity.

•••
I got two per-registered two domains out of which one of Refunded after 4 days by Godaddy stating per-registration goes through many phases and your amount is not the highest one.

It was Jet.app

•••
I got two per-registered two domains out of which one of Refunded after 4 days by Godaddy stating per-registration goes through many phases and your amount is not the highest one.

It was Jet.app

Surprised Jet.com didn't get that one in sunrise. Also could've been a potential trademark issue for you if you got jet.app.

•••
This SSL requirement is stumping me, as someone who's never dealt with getting an SSL certificate before.

All I want to do is set Undeveloped servers and list my .app domains for sale at Undeveloped, but it doesn't work since I don't have a certificate.

Does anyone know how this works? I heard you can get free certificates via Let's Encrypt, but that is very confusing, too. Do I need hosting in order to get the SSL certificates? Does anyone understand this? (The names I've bought so far are at Uniregistry.)

•••
I also can't rap my head around this SSL for domains. I URL forwarded one domain name to my sales website that has SSL but only works on older Explorer browser. Probably will need a multi domain name certificate, but my app domain names are at 2 registrars.

•••
SSL Certificates need to exist on the server that is serving the website. If you're setting your site to point to undeveloped don't they provide you with nameservers? If so they will need to provide a certificate for you for .app domains in order for it to work.

If not, I'd suggest giving AWS/Cloudfront a go and follow this tutorial https://medium.com/@sbuckpesch/setup-aws-s3-static-website-hosting-using-ssl-acm-34d41d32e394. The certificate is free, it renews automatically and it'll cost you peanuts. That's what I've done with takeout/app.

•••
I just bought a .app about 10 minutes ago at GoDaddy and it's still showing as available. Also, several that I pre-ordered are showing as available despite that we're into general availability.

•••
I just bought a .app about 10 minutes ago at GoDaddy and it's still showing as available. Also, several that I pre-ordered are showing as available despite that we're into general availability.
You need to go somewhere else otherwise you are going to lose your domains, godaddy is not executing.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back