IT.COM

.app Do you think .app extension will raise demand?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

isankett

Established Member
Impact
Google now opened for .app domain extension for evreyonel to purchase.
Do you guys think it's only for developers or it could be in demand just like other top extensions?

Please share your views on .app future in domain flipping.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I just submitted a registration over at uniregistry, I'll report back how quick it does it....

•••
•••
I might have one. Not showing in my account yet, but whois search said it was registered by my registry, name.com. Unfortunately, it's not one that I'm crazy about.
If it shows up, then that will be the only .app that I have.

•••
imo, do not see how dot-app can be successful and get traffic with its limited use potential. Other than very rare occasions I do not go to a website to get their app. I believe most of us search the Apple Apps Store or Android Store to get apps, or if looking for a specific app people simply go to the site of interest and look at the page which often has a link to their app, if they have an app. I may be wrong of course but cannot see people typing in keyword.app especially with the 2 main app stores dominating the market.

Last edited:
•••
imo, do not see how dot-app can be successful and get traffic with its limited use potential. Other than very rare occasions I do not go to a website to get their app. I believe most of us search the Apple Apps Store or Android Store to get apps, or if looking for a specific app people simply go to the site of interest and look at the page which often has a link to their app, if they have an app. I may be wrong of course but cannot see people typing in keyword.app especially with the 2 main app stores dominating the market.

I'm not trying to get into another spat about whether it will be successful or not. Just a completely neutral comment... one of the aforementioned stores is the owner of .app, Google. Maybe they have something up their sleeves, maybe they don't. Also, a website can be an app, take Discord for example. Food for thought.

•••
So Google IO 2018 has started.

Every .app developer/investor should watch the following section: "Introducing .app domain names, and how to secure them".

Livestream schedule can be seen on Google events.

From there:

.app, the web's first secure-only open top-level domain (TLD) for mobile apps and developers, is launching on May 8. This in-depth technical talk covers use cases for .app domain names, HTTP Strict Transport Security (HSTS), best practices for secure website development, and the unique security benefits of .app domains thanks to TLD-wide HSTS.

If Google is going to rank .app higher due to "unique security benefits of .app domains" and is successful in promoting Progressive Web Apps, then imho .app could become kind of generic extension like com/net/org/xyz etc. It would make .app .web's younger brother.

•••
The future is going to only use apps pretty soon. We see people looking down on their phones all the time. Pressing an app is faster than typing in the url. ~The World Grows Lazy.

•••
The future is going to only use apps pretty soon. We see people looking down on their phones all the time. Pressing an app is faster than typing in the url. ~The World Grows Lazy.
The only time I have ever downloaded an app directly from a webiste has been for binance, and kucoins, otherwise I always use the appstore.

I haven't always had success with apps, many times I have had to access the full site for full function, or because of errors, or limitations.

•••
one of the aforementioned stores is the owner of .app, Google. Maybe they have something up their sleeves, maybe they don't. Also, a website can be an app, take Discord for example. Food for thought.
.mobi was backed by Google too. Then .xyz was supposed to be the next big thing, because Google bought one (for a crappy site that nobody visits but still). Then...

This TLD is nothing special and will be quickly forgotten, like the hundreds of others.
In fact .app doesn't have to be a success, they found enough people willing to buy them, so they are making money regardless. A bad TLD can be profitable if they sell enough.
But make no mistake, you guys are the end users. If there is no aftermarket it's not the registry's problem, it's yours. Happy development.

•••
.mobi was backed by Google too. Then .xyz was supposed to be the next big thing, because Google bought one (for a crappy site that nobody visits but still). Then...

This TLD is nothing special and will be quickly forgotten, like the hundreds of others.
In fact .app doesn't have to be a success, they found enough people willing to buy them, so they are making money regardless. A bad TLD can be profitable if they sell enough.
But make no mistake, you guys are the end users. If there is no aftermarket it's not the registry's problem, it's yours. Happy development.
Some valid points in there for sure. No point in talking in definitive statements yet though.

.MOBI was released in a far different time than we are now. .MOBI was a fun ride, but it died ultimately because people fell out of love with those early 'mobile' websites and the term 'mobi' was never a term. It was also released when there were about 5 other alternative non country-code TLDs and mobile internet wasn't really common place. The first gen iPhone was released in 2007 and .MOBI was released two years prior in 2005.

•••

Things to note:
- Google was not the registery of .mobi
- No one ever used that word in social context nor did they use in marketing
- you will notice the difference between .app being used by advertisers vs .mobi being used just as a means of domain registeration.

•••
If I'm a dev. I would find a good keyword + workable extension such as this one to register. If it was taken. .app is a better extension. But i don't think my small business web app (as well as most apps ) can afford 1k on a domain. I'll just look for the next workable extension, choices will be plenty.

For a visitor/user point. Most time I won't care whether it 's a web app or web site.

•••
If I'm a dev. I would find a good keyword + workable extension such as this one to register. If it was taken. .app is a better extension. But i don't think my small business web app (as well as most apps ) can afford 1k on a domain. I'll just look for the next workable extension, choices will be plenty.

For a visitor/user point. Most time I won't care whether it 's a web app or web site.
On the point about 1k - it's not 1k for most of them. True, you might find a better fit for your project in another extension, but you might also find a nice .app that fits the bill that has a $19 renewal fee. No need to write .app off just cause a few of the diamond names have a ridiculous renewal price :-D

•••
On the point about 1k - it's not 1k for most of them. True, you might find a better fit for your project in another extension, but you might also find a nice .app that fits the bill that has a $19 renewal fee. No need to write .app off just cause a few of the diamond names have a ridiculous renewal price :-D
Now they are.:dead:

•••
I just regged AlarmSystem.app

•••
Things to note:
- Google was not the registery of .mobi
So what ? Doesn't mean it's going to be a success. They also have these TLDs:
.みんな .ADS .APP .BOO .DAD .DAY .EAT .ESQ .FLY .HERE .HOW .ING .MEME .MOV .NEW .PROF .RSVP .SOY .ZIP

They are not appealing imo regardless of who is backing them.

- No one ever used that word in social context nor did they use in marketing
- you will notice the difference between .app being used by advertisers vs .mobi being used just as a means of domain registeration.
Businesses who offer an app don't need a separate domain for it. If they did, they would already be using <brand name> + app + dotcom routinely.
When such names are unregistered in .com, it's pretty much a safe bet that there is no demand for the .app equivalent.

•••
So what ? Doesn't mean it's going to be a success. They also have these TLDs:
.みんな .ADS .APP .BOO .DAD .DAY .EAT .ESQ .FLY .HERE .HOW .ING .MEME .MOV .NEW .PROF .RSVP .SOY .ZIP

They are not appealing imo regardless of who is backing them.

Businesses who offer an app don't need a separate domain for it. If they did, they would already be using <brand name> + app + dotcom routinely.
When such names are unregistered in .com, it's pretty much a safe bet that there is no demand for the .app equivalent.

When you say such names are unregistered, the whole problem is .com is aged from decades ago with many out of date domains. The difference is google dropped 25 million on this tld vs any of their others and have a whole dedicated team just on this tld with it being the first ever tld release in a google io conference. They will be sure to put lots of money to let developers know of a good opportunity for them to better convey their apps in meaningful ways.

We are starting to see big app companies changing their direct to .app. Let’s give it a few weeks and see what happens.

.mobi started from ground with not much traction. .app is starting at the very top with much better promising ripple effect if you compare the release to use case to domains acquired side by side with other tlds.

•••
So it was told on yesterday Google IO session devoted to .app that due to HSTS, among other things, websites running on .app will load faster. If so, .app is not just another ngtld.

Would be nice to hear from app developers who watched yesterday Google IO session if they saw any advantages for themselves from using .app

•••
I registered a few .app domains:

Partners.app
Fitting.app
SketchBook.app
Finders.app
HomeMaster.app

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back