IT.COM

.app .APP Registration

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Now that .APP is rolling out I thought I'd share a little of our position in .APP domains. I'd love to know what others are doing.

We budgeted just shy of $100k for .APP domain registrations. Several we've already acquired and several we've missed. I'll update our pickups as I can without giving away our position. So far I will share that we picked up:
  • Wedding.app

Trademark Claim
I do have a domain that we registered that has to pass their trademark claim process... it is very generic, not sure who decided to try to call it a trademark, we shall see.

Our Why
To sum it up, Google is our why. I became a domainer back in 2000, when the domain really mattered in SEO. My hunch is that Google won't be able to resist giving some type of preference to quality .APP domain.

Even a small advantage in the SERs or even the Play App Search results, make generic .APP domains valuable.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I got to caution you when it comes to gtld's keep it simple Keyword.Extension, your likelyhood of follow thru sale drops considerably when you add KeywordKeyword.Extension

Got 3 ,if the rest don’t come in ,that’s me done no more for me . Just mainly went for the crypto bitcoin domains but it seems so did everybody else . If my last lot don’t come in am happy with sticking with the 3 I have .

•••
I remember that both Brokerage.app and brokers.app were gone a few hours before GA.:xf.frown:
Yeah I wasn't watching Brokerage slip by, and was happy to grab it late with minimal fee/renewal.

•••
I remember that both Brokerage.app and brokers.app were gone a few hours before GA.:xf.frown:
I had pre registered brokers.app but failed to secure today.

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
Well, I have several super premium ____app.com domains. Sold many during the app explosion between 2008-2015 -- all to end-users -- mostly Fortune 100 companies.

Still have about 12 left.
Per .app --- I believe I'll end up with about 5 app domains.

I probably will regret not purchasing crypto,app and office.app

But forge on...

I find many apps using —app.com

•••
I bought below for $16.99 on Name .com

loanquote.app
doorcam.app

•••
Wow someone registered selfie.app.

That was 2k with a 2k renewal

•••
Those who's names are still dropping in which registrar did you use?

I have a few showing pending from Hexonet but are showing 1api as the registrant and my homestate so fingers crossed I got those.

•••
Those who's names are still dropping in which registrar did you use?

I have a few showing pending from Hexonet but are showing 1api as the registrant and my homestate so fingers crossed I got those.
I'm still waiting to see at name.com. Officially, I have 0 confirmed registered as of right now. I may have 1-4 potential registrations. (Whois confirms that name.com got it.)

•••
Well if your registrar got it and you pre regged wouldn't you at worst go to auction if another person also regged the same name?

•••
Well if your registrar got it and you pre regged wouldn't you at worst go to auction if another person also regged the same name?
Don't know with name.com. I guess I'll see.

•••

I got 50% of my pre-regs with name.com. None of them went to auction. I believe it is first-come, first-served basis.

•••
Gotcha. I'm pretty sure Godaddy is auction which is why I got a few confirms and the others are all still pending. Like I said the 1api.net ones all show pending but the winner in my state so unless there's someone else that lives in my state and happened to register the same names and beat me so be it.

•••
I got 50% of my pre-regs with name.com. None of them went to auction. I believe it is first-come, first-served basis.
This is GA phase.
Auctions are allowed only during Landrush.

•••
Unless that's a .app thing you're wrong. I got a bunch of gtlds including mba.mba in a GA auction for GTlds

•••
I don’t ever remember going to auction at name, enom yes thru NameJet. Name was first come first serve.

•••
•••
I'm never pre-reg again. Though I did pre-reg some .ARAB ones. I think the middle east is going to eat those up. I'll just try to stick to .COM. The money is there. Unfortunatley you'll probably need tons of money to get the money domains.

•••
Godaddy, after all registrars got their domain will start getting. I pre reg a good one and didn't get (somebody else got it). Hand reg another 1 and didn't get(it's available but they never assign me even after 20mins of reg).

So i went to uniregistry and reg 3 there, including those of GD which were still available.

Disappointed with GD really.

•••
Here is explained...
Were no auctions even during Landrush (EAP), just various fixed prices.

Where do you see anything about no auctions? My rep at Godaddy said they do auctions if two or more people register during the same period so not sure if Google is saying something different.

•••
This is stated by Google officially at https://www.registry.google - no any auctions, fixed/Tier prices and that's all.
If GoDaddy is running some auctions for the domains they got - this is their own "scam".

•••
I saw yesterday at goodaddy that if their were multiple pre reg it would go to an auction

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back