Domain Empire

.app .APP Registration

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Now that .APP is rolling out I thought I'd share a little of our position in .APP domains. I'd love to know what others are doing.

We budgeted just shy of $100k for .APP domain registrations. Several we've already acquired and several we've missed. I'll update our pickups as I can without giving away our position. So far I will share that we picked up:
  • Wedding.app

Trademark Claim
I do have a domain that we registered that has to pass their trademark claim process... it is very generic, not sure who decided to try to call it a trademark, we shall see.

Our Why
To sum it up, Google is our why. I became a domainer back in 2000, when the domain really mattered in SEO. My hunch is that Google won't be able to resist giving some type of preference to quality .APP domain.

Even a small advantage in the SERs or even the Play App Search results, make generic .APP domains valuable.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm just counting down the hours until general release. Have made 5 pre-orders that I think I can develop and all bar one I think will not be picked up at EAP.

•••
$100k for these names?

If like drewwash says, he is going to develop these names and has experience in the industries involved, the value is his to decide. He is looking at them as an end user and not an investor.

•••
How do you know this? Can you see in the future?

I'm not letting like $80 prevent me from getting a domain that I want.

I know the car shipping Industry. It is a primary industry of mine and I value CarShipping.app at the value I paid.

I agree that you are trolling. I don't answer to engage, but in hopes of explaining so others can learn.

No one learns from someone sharing their opinion. They learn through facts and experience.

Your experience says it is a pointless buy. My experience, expertise and plans for the domain say buy it.

I'm guessing we are both right. It would be pointless for you to buy it. AND it is correct for me to buy it. So POOF capitalism at work.
You know the car shopping space, you mean auto transport business, thus you choose to pay $1xx for carshipping.app, but left carshippingapp.com unregistered for a fraction of the cost?

I would say you are gambling, I am at least educating.

I started registering app domains in 2008, many of app domains you drool over now, I either own, or have sold. This market cooled in 2015.

People who I know that know their industry tend to go for the best when it comes to names, guys that don’t know what they are doing register domains like the ones you listed. Like you said, maybe we are both right.

If you have a $100k budget, and are registering domains like that, you are not being honest with yourself.

Last edited:
•••
If like drewwash says, he is going to develop these names and has experience in the industries involved, the value is his to decide. He is looking at them as an end user and not an investor.
When it comes to app development, domains do not carry the same weight as the actual function, and engineering of the application.

You can have a killer domain, but have a crappy app, ie) color.com

This company threw tens of millions of dollars into there app, but it was deemed a failure. They purchased color.com, the founders had amazing past pedigree, which helped them raise a lot of money, but in the end their app sucked, and nobody used it.

Last edited:
•••

What does it means?
I've asked if with $100k he has only bought those names and you reply (are you drewwash?) that he is an end user and not an investor.
I don't see any sense.

•••
What does it means?
I've asked if with $100k he has only bought those names and you reply (are you drewwash?) that he is an end user and not an investor.
I don't see any sense.

Apologies, I picked up your post as though your were surprised if he paid that amount. I now see it was just a simple question :)

My point holds though as I think some people may be surprised by the value so I was just pointing out that he states he will be using the names as part of their business structure so what he pays as an end user should not indicate the value to an investor.

•••
I preregistered phd.app with GD but lost it, just got a mail from them

•••
I preregistered phd.app with GD but lost it, just got a mail from them
Was it from yay.com, many people have been seeing their .app gets sniped from
Yay.com, not sure if it has any meaning, but it is more than a coincidence now.

•••
When I was searching for .app pre registration on google, yay.com came up quite prominently so I think that is why they will be one of the sites a lot os users are going through hence the large number of apparent snipes.

They also state on their site "Our proven technologies can secure 99.6%of domains on launch!"

•••

yes, yay.com registered it

•••
$100k for these names

No. We missed many of our first couple round domains.

Those domains were a total of like $2600.

Earlier in the thread you'll see some of the more expensive domains. All premium in industries we are already invested in... just at a higher level.

•••
I started registering app domains in 2008, many of app domains you drool over now, I either own, or have sold. This market cooled in 2015.

I believe KeywordApp.coms are garbage. Comparing the two may seem logical, but to me they are worlds apart.

.COM is king. 99% of our portfolio are .COMs. But adding APP to a keyword never made sense from a marketing perspective as a buyer.

I will admit CarShipping.app is a stretch for me. Registered partly because I didn't want to wait until today. We are strong in .COMs in the industry... but they keyword Car Shipping is are weaknesses. I wanted the exact match.

he pays as an end user should not indicate the value to an investor.

Tough to put me in one camp or the other. I consider myself an investor. I buy the real estate of premium domains. But, I also develop on it land I buy.

With my investor cap on I can buy at closer to end user prices because I know what my developer side will value the domain at.

Not sure if that makes sense or not.

As domainers we frequently compare domains to real estate. I somewhat take it literally with how I treat them.

•••
What time does .app go to general public registration? Or if i backorder at daddy when will I know if i lose

Thanks for the thread, learning lots.

•••
•••
We are closing in...

Last edited:
•••
Only one that i wanted, its gone. I'll stick to .com i guess :yawn:

•••
•••
I believe KeywordApp.coms are garbage. Comparing the two may seem logical, but to me they are worlds apart.

.COM is king. 99% of our portfolio are .COMs. But adding APP to a keyword never made sense from a marketing perspective as a buyer.

I will admit CarShipping.app is a stretch for me. Registered partly because I didn't want to wait until today. We are strong in .COMs in the industry... but they keyword Car Shipping is are weaknesses. I wanted the exact match.

Tough to put me in one camp or the other. I consider myself an investor. I buy the real estate of premium domains. But, I also develop on it land I buy.

With my investor cap on I can buy at closer to end user prices because I know what my developer side will value the domain at.

Not sure if that makes sense or not.

As domainers we frequently compare domains to real estate. I somewhat take it literally with how I treat them.

DrewWash, If my 15 pre-orders hold I'll sell them to you for $24K. I've lost two per day since register day 1. I think DeliciousDongs.app will catch on. Maybe.

•••
Only one that i wanted, its gone. I'll stick to .com i guess :yawn:
Yeah, I think all that I was trying to get are gone. I think that's the fun of it... seeing what you can possibly get before others.

•••
Slamdunk is available per name.com if anyone wants it.

•••
Not hitting account... furious. Anyone got yet? :xf.confused:

•••
Not hitting account... furious. Anyone got yet? :xf.confused:
Something is not right, registrations must be in que, as stuff that should be pre-registered is showing available.

•••
I reg another one. The first one was pre-registered on 2 May, none show up at this time.

•••
If anyone has pre-reg at godaddy, somebody didn't flip the switch to catch them, they have a serious issue, even fresh reg are not getting thru, just double check your orders.

•••
If anyone has pre-reg at godaddy, somebody didn't flip the switch to catch them, they have a serious issue, even fresh reg are not getting thru, just double check your orders.
I'd suspect that they are sending them through first come first serve to the registry and the registry is under load. Godaddy have already said that this one is breaking records for the number of pre-orders.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back