NameSilo

App.net

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
If this Twitter alternative takes off and becomes big, could the .Net extension go up in value?.

Opinions?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
sorry, what twitter alternative are you talking about?

•••
•••
•••
kind of look like under construction page to me, not sure what they do and how it is going to replace twitter

I think you need to update yourself on what is happening in the industry.

•••
I think you need to update yourself on what is happening in the industry.

Still, he said that his new service, App.net, "is not meant to replace Twitter" or "compete with Twitter in the sense that we're trying to steal their user base." There used to be an encouragement of it (third-party apps), but they changed their mind, and to me that looks like a hole in the market."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30977_3-5...ng-for-social-apps-not-twitter-rival-podcast/

•••
If this Twitter alternative takes off and becomes big, could the .Net extension go up in value?.

Opinions?

I'm not sure about this project raising the bar on the dot net (roughly 10% of the com, with some exceptions higher and lower), but I do give credit to Dalton for finding a hole, as well as grouping enough backers/clients to fund the project.

OK, great, but what exactly is this product you will be delivering?

As a member, you'll have a new social graph and real-time feed that you access from an App.net mobile application or website. At first, the user experience will be very similar to what Twitter was like before it turned into a media company. On a forward basis, we will focus on expanding our core experience by nurturing a powerful ecosystem based on 3rd-party developer built "apps". This is why we think the name "App.net" is appropriate for this service.
From a developer perspective, you will be able to read and write to a Twitter-like API. Developers behaving in good faith will have free reign to build alternate UIs, new business models of their own, and whatever they can dream up.
As this project progresses, we will be collaboratng with you, our backers, while sharing and iterating screenshots of the app, API documentation, and more. There are quite a few technical improvements to existing APIs that we would like to see in the App.net API. For example, longer message character limits, RSS feeds, and rich annotations support.
We're really excited to begin working on these new features, and we hope that you'll support our vision

I love the model, and believe they will do well as a gathering place for developers.

10,000+ users is a good base to start from, and I wish them well in their endeavor.

Peace,
Cyberian

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back