IT.COM

discuss After latest large new gTLD domain sale, I have renewed my whole .live portfolio until 2025...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Brands.International

MarekTop Member
Impact
....and I am not bragging about it :) Still lot of CASH left as profit. Kudos to new gTLDs, love them!!!

Your opinions? Are you renewing your names years in advance as well? Do you believe in your names, be it .com or new gTLDs? If so, share some exaples.

Just wanted to share with some new gTLD lovers here :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
....and I am not bragging about it :) Still lot of CASH left as profit. Kudos to new gTLDs, love them!!!

Your opinions? Are you renewing your names years in advance as well? Do you believe in your names, be it .com or new gTLDs? If so, share some exaples.

What is the "latest large NewGtld domain sale?"

•••
.live?

What about the rest of them?

What did you drop that had no action?

I'm happy to hear you had some successful sales.

The only thing I will caution you about is renewing too much ahead. Personally I never renew more than a year, even on my best domains. That keeps down expenses on drops and sales.

•••
•••
It is not a problem to renew 10-50 domains even in advance...

As for me, I renew only the very best domains...
All others - I drop and reg/catch again for promofee (if they are necessary for me)... Drop competition in nTLD niche is very low.

•••
I think the quality of domains that @lolwarrior has at brands.international have continued to improve from it's inception. IMHO. I don't agree with all of them, because I have a more jaundiced view generally of the nGTLD's. But I take my hat off to @lolwarrior for improving his brand over the years. He's done a good job, IMHO. It's a risky business. And he's moving in the right direction. I wish him "all the best" in his endeavours.

•••
Congratulations on the newest sale, @lolwarrior! I think you are wise to renew some well in advance, thereby locking in the renewal rates and it also places you in a stronger position negotiating with future offers. You do not feel the pressure of renewals, and also if it does sell the end user will factor in the value of the extra registration period that transfers with the domain name.

I was wondering why you chose .live TLD to be the ones you renewed to 2025? (instead of say one of the other TLD you have multiple in).

You asked what others are doing re long term. I don't have as many as I would like long term, but I do have some. I have the .win based one I use for my portfolio until 2027, and considering adding a couple more years while the renewal are favourable. I have a couple of others until 2027, 3 until 2024, and at least 12 more until 2023. A number of those I have long term are in .science, that due to registry mismanagement went off track in early years, but I still see long term prospects for good words. Everything that I have long term, and the vast majority of my portfolio now, is either single word or an exact acronym.

Congrats again on your success. I like the examples of high profile people using new extensions in the questions part of your website. Thank you for all the contributions you have made to NPs.

Take care,

Bob

•••
BTW this thread seems a good place to share something I wrote last year on why long term renewal can make sense. Here is the summary (from here) of my main points:
  1. You lock in future costs at known rates.
  2. You take advantage of promotions and savings.
  3. With the luxury of future years registrations prepaid, you will be more confident in asking good prices.
  4. The additional years will make your domain names more valuable to potential end users, and give them more confidence about long term costs.
  5. Deciding which names warrant renewal for multiple years will force you to critically evaluate your portfolio and emphasize quality over quantity.
  6. The long term approach saves you time that can be put into other domain portfolio priorities.
With caps loosened on .com, and perhaps being taken off .asia, .biz, and .org, I am not sure that we are not in for a period of higher renewal costs. And Donuts of course did announce fall increases of averaging 7% on many of their extensions (not all, a few like .group are are going down significantly).

The situation is interesting right now with .science and .review (and some, but not all, of the other former FFM extensions). The wholesale cost for new registrations (and transfers) is about $5 while the wholesale renewal is about $2 (retail costs about $1 more at the cost competitive places). Of course almost all extensions promote the other way around, cheaper for first year than to renew. There is a certain logic to trying to keep registrations, vs.register and drop, and I hope it works out for them and becomes standard in the new gTLD space.

Bob

•••
"After latest large new gTLD domain sale, I have renewed my whole .live portfolio until 2025...."
So, 9 domains (not including the adult stuff, which doesnt look like big money) ? That's all I see at your site. Not sure if its something to get really excited about.

Also, are you sure about payments.live and payment.live ? Isnt that how all transactions work on the internet ? Same with playgames and players.

Last edited:
•••
All the best for you but I suggest you got yourself a paid hosting too since you are making sales :)

•••
Thanks guys :)

I do not have now time to spend too much time online (I am my holiday) so just briefly:

a) @stub it is appreciated, you clearly do know something about domain names :)

b) @NYJimbo whenever you are not sure about value of keyword in .live, looks for that keyword in what I usually call in my posts "close extension"...in this case, it is .online. Study names at names.club.
Regarding my .live adult names, look in whois who keep those in .com...

c) @JB Lions you are right, my website needs TONS of redesign...but I have no time atm for that, and I am indeed not a designer.

d) @Bob Hawkes I think my .live (and I speak now about adult ones) will perform amazingly. Therefore I renewed them until 2025. I will also do that for my .life and .world, but have some reasons not to do it atm.
Renewing well in future works very well for me so far: I do not loose valuable names, and I have strong position when it comes to negotiations, most people can not wait until 2025 for names to drop.

Thanks again for all your support guys, I just had to vent! I purchases most of my new G's when they were for low prices and keep them with very low renewals, so you can understand my pleasure which comes with each sale.

•••
most people can not wait until 2025 for names to drop.
Over 1K TLDs already...
+ in ~2020 ICANN is planning to launch the another wave of nTLDs...

Last edited:
•••
According to my negotiation experience - nowadays I very often hear from the buyers that they have a few other variants in their list.

Yes, if you own some strong EMD for medium or BIG company - it is possible to negotiate in 4F and sometimes even in 5F range. Most other sales are usually no higher than $500... that's why even Sedo dropped their minimum commission.

Last edited:
•••
Before nTLDs ~50% of sales on Sedo were under $500 (according to their own newsletters, when I was subscribed).
In 2019, I guess, this share is ~70% or even more.

Last edited:
•••

So what is the sale? It seems like it would help all who believe in nTLDs to report nTLD sales, are your sales all under NDA?

•••
My relatively big non-.com sale was in 2014...
Next similar big sale I did in 2019...
So it happens rarely and shouldn't be considered as benchmark, at least from my experience.

•••
Regarding this sale by OP...
Probably, some popular TV channel purchased it... or something like that.

•••
Over 1K TLDs already...
+ in ~2020 ICANN is planning to launch the another wave of nTLDs...

Mmm. I can't wait. Must be profitable for them and will keep them in the style they have become accustomed to.

•••
My relatively big non-.com sale was in 2014...
Next similar big sale I did in 2019...
So it happens rarely and shouldn't be considered as benchmark, at least from my experience.

What do you call big? 4 figures? 5 figures? Something else?

•••
Thanks guys :)

c) @JB Lions you are right, my website needs TONS of redesign...but I have no time atm for that, and I am indeed not a designer..

Yeah. It shows. But as long as the business is growing to your satisfaction. It's not urgent. But from a 3rd party perspective, it is not portraying the success you are making. And we (well I) just wonder how much more successful you could become with a MUCH, MUCH better design. It's crying out for development. IMHO. I am sure you could reach much bigger volumes. I know that I would be unlikely to buy anything from your website. It just looks too Cheap Charlie for me. You should invest some of your profits back into your website. IMHO. I'm convinced it would pay benefits. With more sales. YMMV.

Last edited:
•••
•••

As a domainer, I can see why people like gTLDs and I'll keep my 10 favorite gTLDs. As a domain investor, I don't like them.

Here's why:

As described in my last post, I lost over $7,000 in gTLD investments with $0 in sales. In opportunity cost, I lost close to $28,000.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/calling-all-com-owners-do-you-dabble.1130640/#post-7232875

If you are making money with gTLDs, with multiple sales, then you are a domain genius and should be selling .coms as well because you'd honestly be a millionaire by now. Because if my .com sales are close to $150k per year, but I can't make even 1 gTLD sale, then the sky is the limit for you successful gTLD investors out there.

Why? Because the average buyer has better odds buying a lottery ticket. Seriously.

There are 342,796 .live domains registered. But only 12 sales over $500 reported EVER and no sale over $500 reported since 2017. But even worse, you can't use the 342,796 number to determine your probability, you need to count the renewals each year, so it is really closer to 572,000 registrations and renewals. So 12 sales out of 572,000 gives you a 1 in 48,000 chance of selling a domain for over $500.

For $1, my local lottery gives a 1 in 10,000 chance of winning $4,500+, rather than $19 for a 1 in 48,000 chance of winning.

If I apply the same calculation to .com it is about a 1 in 13,000 chance if you just thew a dart at a board of 150,000,000 ".com" domains (3,000,000,000 registrations and renewals with 240,842 sales over $500). If it was limited to only semi-premium .com domains, say the top 20,000,000 .com domains, which is more realistic, the chance would be 1 in 1,665 for $8.50. Have you seen expired domain lists? Calculating this on the top 20 million is extremely conservative.

For me with .com, it is around a 1 in 100 chance or better, every year since 2004 for me. There is no comparison. Even if you know nothing about domains, go to the auctions and buy domains with bids on them already, and you'll probably sell 1 in 200 or more every year right from the start. Even with that, you'll statistically have 480 times more success than with this gTLD, and every other gTLD that I've seen so far.

The only viable option with .live, from a statistics perspective is if we were in 2016 and you were hitting a homerun with a $100k+ domain. But, we are not and there are no reported sales in 2 years. If you are successful with gTLD, you should also be heavily in .com because you'd be ultra successful.

Rick describes it simply in the videos below. For me, implementing daily knowledge like this has increased my profitability and will help take you to the next levels.

https://twitter.com/DomainKing/status/1125703196377276416

https://twitter.com/DomainKing/status/1128254907318964224

https://twitter.com/DomainKing/status/1128325687784484866

upload_2019-5-18_4-34-23.png

upload_2019-5-18_4-34-57.png

upload_2019-5-18_4-35-15.png

Last edited:
•••
"It really takes only few minutes and few dollars to create domain name marketplace, using solutions like efty.com

This is probably the best advice for the op in the entire topic.

Instead of renewing domains into 2025 it would have been a much better investment to maybe go to 2024 and take some of the money and invest it into a proper efty marketplace.

The op has clearly stated he has no web design abilities, efty is a ready made solution.

My advice would also be to use the tools already available.

•••
•••
"After latest large new gTLD domain sale"

I guess it's in order to ask - How large is this new gTLD domain sales of yours?

•••
Back