IT.COM

opinion A potential buyer want me to travel to his country.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hell guys
A strange request from a potential buyer for one of my domain names.
He want me to travel to his country to complete the deal face to face.
I have asked him to use Escrow services but he replied that he is not comfortable with it.
What is your feedback guys?
Thanks for all.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If someone wants to buy my domain and wants to meet face to face then they can come to me.

•••
I surely would not travel to meet the buyer face to face, not unless it was some huge company like google etc that wanted me to sign some paperwork, but i would not just meet some random person. Knowing my luck id be kidnapped until i transferred over my entire portfolio

•••
He just sent me that he want the deal face to face with a broker process on eBay.
Which is I think not possible.

•••
•••
He just sent me that he want the deal face to face with a broker process on eBay.
You should ask him why he is hestitate to use an escrow service? Maybe he doesn't want to make official money transaction. If he wants to pay in cash you would have problems to move that kind of money between different countries. A 50k sales should be also accompanied with a sales contract. Sent him a draft and in this way you can get his details. :xf.cool:

•••

Apologize that you have wasted each others time your selling a domain electronic transfer and a professional business man with commitments. Until buyer can abide by your terms there will be no deal. The seller makes the terms fix the price for 7 days. Only you have the exact domain so chill.

•••
•••

that is all nonsense

tell him to use sedo escrow
they have a us office
so maybe sedo is willing to meat in person

what is the domain?
is it overpaid with $50K?

or is it worth it long term?

ask rick schwarz how he would deal with it or mike mann

•••
Does he own a travel biz, and want you to buy the tickets through him?

•••
•••
Having doubts with this kind of deal. With all kinds of scam everywhere, one ought to be careful in every step of the way. Voice out all these reservations to the buyer. Be honest, be sincere. Tell him that you need a guarantee that you won't come out empty handed or a big loser in the end. He must provide you a guarantee of some sort if he is indeed true in his commitment. Without any guarantee and just by pure trust, it's like walking blindfolded near the edge of a cliff.

•••
that is all nonsense

tell him to use sedo escrow
they have a us office
so maybe sedo is willing to meat in person

what is the domain?
is it overpaid with $50K?

or is it worth it long term?

ask rick schwarz how he would deal with it or mike mann
The domain is brandable and it is worth more.
I have already received similar offer in the past but I didn't sell.
Sorry I can't tell what is the name now.

•••
No way. Drop this guy. This could be dangerous. There is no reason to meet face to face. He wants your domain and will steal it. Stay home. If the name is worth 50k, it will be worth more in the coming months and you will be able to visit somewhere nice, in peace and safety.

•••
Does he own a travel biz, and want you to buy the tickets through him?
I don't know, but in all cases I will not travel.

•••
No way. Drop this guy. This could be dangerous. There is no reason to meet face to face. He wants your domain and will steal it. Stay home. If the name is worth 50k, it will be worth more in the coming months and you will be able to visit somewhere nice, in peace and safety.
Yes I know, I am not hurry to sell it.

•••
If you have a $50k offer for this name, then your name has very good value.You have to ignore him and wait a more ''normal'' buyer.

•••
It's not entirely unlikely that he's unfamiliar with escrow services and/or buying digital products online (even having an eBay account). So be careful not to insincerely chase-off a potential client.

But with that said, anyone who's willing to part with $50k for an aftermarket domain name has to have some understanding of how things work in the industry. So at minimum, he should know about platforms (eg. Sedo) that offer an escrow service.

After all is said an done, even the Dalai Lama could change his mind and waste your time and money. The risk is yours to take, but I personally would risk/spend my money (on travel costs) differently.

•••
•••
Read this about a scam that cost someone their life savings https://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/jan/25/goa-gem-scam-lost-life-savings

Her story? She had fallen for one of the growing number of ingenious jewellery scams being perpetrated against lone travellers – particularly in the Indian state of Goa, but also elsewhere.

Once you're in a place you don't know waiting to collect 50k it's pretty easy to put pressure on you. And what if you were falsely charged with scamming and locked up? Or forced to hand over passwords?

Or someone pays you 50k in cash and then coincidentally you get robbed in the street.

Escrow or bust.

Last edited:
•••
Ask him to send a picture of his daughter and if you like it you can arrange to complete the transaction at a public place like Hotel.

•••
I had a buyer once come to my office with a cashiers check. It was weird but it went fine. I would be honest. Tell him that you are far away and it is not sensible to come so far.

I am in LA, and could meet them on your behalf. I would call his bluff and tell him you have a biz partner here. I feel I know you anyway. :).

No big deal. Some people can be difficult.
Feel free to pm me. You can call anytime!

•••
He want's it..... You've got it....

Who has the upper hand?

•••
Be careful on scammers .... if he does not want to pay your travel, it is doubtful ....

•••
Tell him you dont have a passport yet, you cannot come to him, but the domain can go to him via escrow ;)

•••
Work on making it clear how secure escrow is - I convince buyers otherwise all the time, one thing I always mention is that with escrow they don't release the funds to the seller until the buyer confirms they have received the domain. No way around that. If he is still hesitant, I would begin to think he isn't serious.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back