Dynadot

opinion A potential buyer want me to travel to his country.

NameSilo
Watch
Hell guys
A strange request from a potential buyer for one of my domain names.
He want me to travel to his country to complete the deal face to face.
I have asked him to use Escrow services but he replied that he is not comfortable with it.
What is your feedback guys?
Thanks for all.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hhahaah... Even if she was satan's spawn and you tell me "Dude, she is going to cut you up and selll your organs" ... if she looks like Salma Hayek... I'm sold! I would still go.....:xf.grin:

34.jpg

After seeing her from Dusk Till Dawn. I definitely would NOT go :)

•••
Sounds like he's trying to play you because he's pissed you own the name he wants and feels he deserves. When you show up he may just dissappear and mock you..

Is he paying for your ticket?

Let him know you're a busy man and the sale won't happen then...
He can't be setting all the boundaries...

He needs to prove himself..
Let him give you a legit reason why he can't or won't use escrow?

•••
If it's worth, yes. It would be pleasure for me. I like traveling, meeting new people and exploring new places. I would happily travel to the other side of the World for $50k profit, even for $20k profit..

Also I don't find this request weird. Buyer may want to make payment in cash, face to face. What's wrong with this? Don't we use cash to buy or selling something? What's the difference when it comes to domains?

You can buy a car for $50k and pay in cash. You can buy a domain for $50k and pay in cash. There is no difference.

I doubt this "buyer" would drop a deposit for travel expenses and this can be literally a joke.
Also it is not easy to travel to US. Many countries need visa and Mr. Trump's permission :xf.wink:
... and they still can turn you back on the entering US airport.

•••
Why has this old thread re-appeared I wonder ...... LOL did he travel to buyer?

•••
Let him know you're a busy man and the sale won't happen then...
He can't be setting all the boundaries...

He needs to prove himself..

I don't agree. Buyer is not obligated to do what buyer wants except making payment. Buyer is not obligated to prove himself. In fact nobody must be forced to prove identity to buy/sell online. Nobody is obligated to give a legit reason or explanation for not using escrow. Because traditional escrows that use banks, are not a good thing as you are forced to prove identity even for a $100 purchase. There are too many people who hate being forced sharing their personal info. Because once you share your personal info, you can't be sure if your personal info will be kept private and secure. Privacy concerned people are too many and they are not scammers. Seller has to provide solution. The best solution for this problem looks like accepting crypto from this buyer as crypto is very similar to cash. Buyer will not have to share personal info if seller accepts crypto.

Last edited:
•••
I don't agree. Buyer is not obligated to do what buyer wants except making payment. Buyer is not obligated to prove himself. In fact nobody must be forced to prove identity to buy/sell online. .

1. The last time I checked, this was not about "buying and selling online". The seller stated clearly that they exhausted all options to complete this transaction online. Seller made it clear they will only complete this transaction face to face in their country. So your statement is not valid.

2. The buyer offered the seller to even have a lawyer come in person on his behalf to complete the sale in their country and the buyer still refused. Buyer wants to see seller face to face on their soil. Crypto is always an option, but safety is best with escrow. Identity is a flawed argument too. Why? the buyer wants to meet face to face???? so they are not hiding who they are??? so cypto is not necessary.

So if identity, security, and the convenience of doing the deal with a representative in person are all rejected, then what is the buyers motive here?

And you are telling me the seller has no right after this to know more?
They should just pack, spend 4 figures to travel and hotel and meet someone they know nothing about in a foreign country to do a deal. This is like craigslist gone wild.

I'm into online privacy but don't lose your brain in the process.

In any wise,I hope they find a solution.

Last edited:
•••
1. The last time I checked, this was not about "buying and selling online". The seller stated clearly that they exhausted all options to complete this transaction online. Seller made it clear they will only complete this transaction face to face in their country. So your statement is not valid.

I referred "banking backed escrow services" by "buying/selling online"
I don't think all people love such escrow services as well as making transactions with banks. Some people are also not capable to use banks. You may want to search "unbanked" to learn more.

2. The buyer offered the seller to even have a lawyer come in person on his behalf to complete the sale in their country and the buyer still refused.

I missed it, sorry. But it should be related to privacy even though it's difficult to understand for me too.

Buyer wants to see seller face to face on their soil.

Again it should be related to privacy.

Crypto is always an option, but safety is best with escrow.

Safety and privacy are best with crypto backed escrow services, if the problem is limited to privacy only.

Identity is a flawed argument too. Why? the buyer wants to meet face to face???? so they are not hiding who they are??? so cypto is not necessary.

So if identity, security, and the convenience of doing the deal with a representative in person are all rejected, then what is the buyers motive here?

cyrpto is necessary for not only privacy but also for safety, speed and low cost. Cyrpto based escrow starts and end in less than 1 hour, its cost is 1% or less, is safe as payment can not be reversed back by the buyer.

Identity isn't a problem. Identity document is the problem. The most critical problem is that escrow services that work with banks want identity documents of everyone, sellers and buyers. They ask everyone to send their most private documents like ID documents, passport, utility bills, email address, phone numbers and more. More and more people don't trust such organizations to send their personal info. They might sell personal info of people, might not keep those documents private, their organization can be sold to someone else, etc. You can't trust them for your most private details of your life, and shouldn't trust anyone, any organization online. You may send your documents to 1 site if you have no choice and if the money you will receive is very critical for you. But there are many sites that ask ID documents. While thinking you are safe with an escrow service or with a middle man, you and your buyer are taking a much bigger risk that doesn't end for long years, by sending your documents to an internet based company.

And you are telling me the seller has no right after this to know more?

Customer is obligated to make payment only nothing else. This is sad but true. This is also not limited to the problem of this buyer, plus this buyer may have other peoblems too. As a seller you must provide solutions to each and every problems of your buyer or you must look for another buyer.

They should just pack, spend 4 figures to travel and hotel and meet someone they know nothing about in a foreign country to do a deal. This is like craigslist gone wild.

There's no problem with travelling. But a poster above said USA doesn't want foreigners to enter. The OP may refuse to travel to USA by using this visa barrier argument. OP should be ready for a weird request: Buyer may ask him to sell the domain in the airport :) LoL :)

I'm into online privacy but don't lose your brain in the process.

You can't force a buyer to send his ID documents and his most private personal info like home address and phone number. Losing brain is to send most private documents and most personal information to everywhere. If you send your personal documents and info, you can't know what will happen to you 5-10 years later or 20 years later. Those documents and info are kept for unlimited time, are never deleted. You can't guarantee that companies will never go bankrupt or will never be bought by a person from a country with very different privacy, trade and civil laws. You can't know if your personal info will be stolen by a hacker after 3-5 years. Even you can't know if someone else (your email provider, someone on the internet, someone who has access to your computer, etc) receive your documents while you are sending or before/after you sent.

There are too many unknown factors when it comes to safety of your personal info and documents in a digital form or even in paper. It's really not worth to sell/buy domain for $100 to take such never ending risks. This $100 amount may be as high as $50,000 even $500k for privacy minded persons with higher standards, there is no upper limit of it.

•••
If you’re female and the country is India, then NOOOOOO

•••
•••
•••
If he can't skype or use escrow (or the internet in general) he doesn't deserve to own a premium domain name.

•••
If he can't skype or use escrow (or the internet in general) he doesn't deserve to own a premium domain name.

I can't Skype :( But I can do the rest :)

•••
He contacted me through eBay, it is not possible to get his contact information from there.
ebay ???? we have namepros to get quality domain why did u end up in ebay !!! i think you both in wrong place in wrong time :)

•••
Nope not traveling! Especially to another country!Can't do the deal over the Web, the name stays with me! Take it or leave it!
I would rather risk losing the sale than my life that's for sure.

•••
•••
Whats the outcome on this @jamaltq ? Almost 1 year since

•••
ebay ???? we have namepros to get quality domain why did u end up in ebay !!! i think you both in wrong place in wrong time :)
I have many success sales there, It is the second favorite marketplace for me.

•••
•••
Everything finished then, he refused to use Escrow service.
Shame. I live close to LA. Is it a liquid domain? (4L/3L/NNNN/NNNNN)

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back