Dynadot

opinion A potential buyer want me to travel to his country.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hell guys
A strange request from a potential buyer for one of my domain names.
He want me to travel to his country to complete the deal face to face.
I have asked him to use Escrow services but he replied that he is not comfortable with it.
What is your feedback guys?
Thanks for all.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have already suggested Sedo escrow but he refused.
Thanks

Did you ask why he refused to process the payment via Sedo Escrow?

•••
Depends on what country it is.

As far as my experience goes I have been to other countries and some other guys have been to my hometown in past. It was not specifically for a particular domain name but it was a general deal.

If I was in your place then I would surely go and visit his country if he is willing to pay the airfare and hotel expenses. (Once he transfers the airfare and hotel money to my account. I would book a holiday to some nice place and keep him waiting. LOL)

But if you are not into this kind of dark humor games then maybe you should take extra care when you finally do decide to take a trip to his country.

Who knows he could be a Kidneyer (Domains = Domainer / Kidney sellers = Kidneyer)

Just watch out or maybe take some of your friends along with you.

If you don't have friends. I am willing to accompany you and guide you through this process. I don't charge any money for friends. All you have to do is just pay for my airfare and hotel stuff and maybe some entertainment on side because afterall we are visiting another country so I will surely need some entertainment like bar hopping and watching all those girls dance etc.

•••
Did you ask why he refused to process the payment via Sedo Escrow?
As he said, he will be not comfortable to transfer them a big amount.

•••
As he said, he will be not comfortable to transfer them a big amount.
And unfortunately his comfort level is putting you at risk. Did he share all his personal details with you? Aside from the personal security aspects, are you aware of the other things such as legal, tax, proof of funds origin, and US customs implications of accepting payment like this? Be careful. This is serious stuff. I hope you might find someone to intervene to get him to be cooperative to use an escrow service.

•••
And unfortunately his comfort level is putting you at risk. Did he share all his personal details with you? Aside from the personal security aspects, are you aware of the other things such as legal, tax, proof of funds origin, and US customs implications of accepting payment like this? Be careful. This is serious stuff. I hope you might find someone to intervene to get him to be cooperative to use an escrow service.
As I told before, I will not go to anywhere, I have just liked to share this case with Namepros members.
Thanks

•••
Hell guys
A strange request from a potential buyer for one of my domain names.
He want me to travel to his country to complete the deal face to face.
I have asked him to use Escrow services but he replied that he is not comfortable with it.
What is your feedback guys?
Thanks for all.

I would either ignore the email and see how much they want the domain

Or reply with an email that would say something like -

Thanks for your interest in my domain name but I am in no hurry to sell my domain name

And any future sale of any of my domain names will be on my terms eg escrow etc

•••
I seriously don't know why there is so much drama and conspiracy in this thread.

The buyer wants to pay $50,000 (i understand) for a domain name. That's a substantial amount of money!
He appears not to trust Escrow. Therefore wants to meet the seller in person to complete the deal.
What is wrong with that ?

The seller simply needs to :
Get verification the buyer can afford $50,000.
Get verification that the buyer is who he says he is.
Get verification of where the buyer lives.
and ask for some verification of past domain name deals the buyer has completed.
(Basic due diligence).

Then if the seller is happy, get the buyer to pay the expenses upfront (non-refundable),
for accommodation and travel.

Then go ahead and complete the deal.

ps. This is assuming the seller is happy with the $50k offer.
I would also try video calling the buyer. Seems like a no brainer.

Last edited:
•••
I seriously don't know why there is so much drama and conspiracy in this thread.

The buyer wants to pay $50,000 (i understand) for a domain name. That's a substantial amount of money!
He appears not to trust Escrow. Therefore wants to meet the seller in person to complete the deal.
What is wrong with that ?

The seller simply needs to :
Get verification the buyer can afford $50,000.
Get verification that the buyer is who he says he is.
Get verification of where the buyer lives.
and ask for some verification of past domain name deals the buyer has completed.
(Basic due diligence).

Then if the seller is happy, get the buyer to pay the expenses upfront (non-refundable),
for accommodation and travel.

Then go ahead and complete the deal.

ps. This is assuming the seller is happy with the $50k offer.
I would also try video calling the buyer. Seems like a no brainer.

Don't forget the evidence of photo ID, passport, driving license, references and CV etc.....

•••
If it's a legit offer I wouldn't pass this away. Travel is fun! :)

•••
For your perusal: Three Short Plays In Search of A Domain Sale
by gigadomains.

Possible Scenario 1. (An office building.)
Seller: (out of breath, carrying his suitcase, climbs stairs to the office Buyer says he works in. Knocks on office door.) Hello! Anyone there?

Buyer: (no answer, because he has never been in that office and does not, in fact, work there. Buyer is an insane stalker from eBay.)

Scenario 2. (Same office building.)
Seller: (out of breath, carrying his suitcase. Knocks on door of Buyer’s office.) Hello!

Buyer: Hi! Good to see you in person. Come on in.

Seller: Thank you. So do we have a deal? You are buying this domain for $50,000?

Buyer: Yes, absolutely! I simply do not trust brokers and online escrow services. I believe in looking in the other guy’s eye and being able to shake his hand. Here’s a check for $50,000.

Seller: Okay, I will sit down with my laptop here and transfer the name to you. Here is the Auth code.

Buyer: Wonderful. I have started the transfer. It will be done in a few days.

Seller: Okay, thanks. Now I must catch my plane home and deposit this check. Bye!

Buyer: Bye!

(Seller flies home, deposits the cashier’s check Buyer gave him. Two weeks later his bank informs him the check is a fake. Meanwhile, the domain has transferred to the Buyer.)

Scenario 3. (Same damn office building.)
Seller: (out of breath, carrying his suitcase. Knocks on office door of Buyer.) Hello!

Buyer: (peers around door, aiming barrel of gun at Seller) Who the hell is it!

Seller: Why, it’s me, Seller. You asked me to come here to buy my domain. Please don’t shoot!

Buyer: All right, come in. But let me frisk you for weapons first. Then you’d better put on the biohazard suit I have here for you. You could have Ebola or something, and probably do. Then you’ll have to step into my X-ray scanner here so I can see if you’re carrying anything dangerous not visible to the outside. Okay, put that suitcase in too.

Seller: I assure you I’m healthy, have no weapon or dangerous articles! I just want to make a sale!

Buyer: Sure. Sure. Okay, got an EPP code for me?

Seller: My payment first, please.

Buyer: Here. (Opens a briefcase full of cash to show him. The amount is correct. After a struggle, during which he bites Seller, he finally gives the money briefcase to Seller.)

Seller: Here is the EPP code.

Buyer: Okay, I’ve started transferring the name. Now get the hell out.

Seller: (grabbing briefcase full of money) Thanks for the sale! Goodbye!
(While at the airport boarding his flight home, Seller is grabbed and detained by authorities because the smell of the briefcase sets off a drug-alerting dog. Homeland Security confiscates the money, assuming it is gotten by nefarious means. They keep it for the next 3 years. Seller is released, but goes home poor. He has also developed an infection from the bite he sustained.)

•••
It does not sound like he knows your face, so anyone could in theory come and take care of the transaction, it does not have to be the owner, who does not want to travel here. How about 2-3 domainers do it, while the domain name sits in escrow? You can meet at a lawyers office or a police station, which is what a lot of people do these days for CL.com transactions now.

•••
Where is your own Country? Is he the one to give you VISA to travel to US? If he can provide you VISA and all related travelling document and some travelling allowance, non refundable, it could be out of your$50k. There is nothing bad in going there. However your meeting with him definitly would not be in his house and when you are there you can not collect cash. You can now make him confident of transacting with escrow and remain in US until he received the domain via escrow service while your cash remains in your escrow account.

However, if he refused to make available some cash for your travelling, just take it as fate that the best buyer is yet to come. Good luck.

•••
•••
•••
I bought domains from a Jordanian seller years ago. It could have been you :) But for $50k (plus expenses) there is a lot of motivation there.

•••
I really find it astonishing that so many people have so much negativity and apprehension.

•••
•••
The big questions here, what is my guarantee, who will cover my travel expenses?, what if he is a scammer?

Brother, first you do your due diligence. Like someone else said, have a video call, get full verifiable information, and a witness to all this. Good luck.

•••
The big questions here, what is my guarantee, who will cover my travel expenses?, what if he is a scammer?

This has already been covered. It's BASICS !

People need to stop worrying so much and live a little.
Take some risk and enjoy the ride :)

•••
Brother, first you do your due diligence. Like someone else said, have a video call, get full verifiable information, and a witness to all this. Good luck.
Thank you, I have many friends and relatives there, I may arrange it with them.

•••

But you said he invited you to his country. He who invited should be able to provide all your travelling arrangement in an hotel of your choice! And there must be a kind of non refundable cash for you transit.
Scammer don't give out a penny.

•••
Thank you, I have many friends and relatives there, I may arrange it with them.
Hope your friends can not jeopardize your trust? I mean your money.

•••

But you said he invited you to his country. He who invited should be able to provide all your travelling arrangement in an hotel of your choice! And there must be a kind of non refundable cash for you transit.
Scammer don't give out a penny.
He didn't invite me, he just want to process the deal face to face in his country.

•••
He didn't invite me, he just want to process the deal face to face in his country.
Then let him know your demand for the trip to his country, if he can not afford it, then you should know he is not really ready or up to the task.

•••
I don't dig airplanes so I'll only get on one if an emergency. My sister having cancer was the last time I was on one many years ago. If someone wanted to come to me in Chicago I would meet somewhere although I feel it's not really needed with a licensed escrow service being used Payoneer Escrow, Escrow.com etc...

So travel to see someone else=No
Meet someone locally pending they buy me a steak=Yes

Last edited:
•••
Back