Dynadot

opinion A potential buyer want me to travel to his country.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hell guys
A strange request from a potential buyer for one of my domain names.
He want me to travel to his country to complete the deal face to face.
I have asked him to use Escrow services but he replied that he is not comfortable with it.
What is your feedback guys?
Thanks for all.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
In the US anything can happen. Worse scenario, the buyer is an alien and will abduct the seller.
I'd rather prefer the buyer travels down IMHO. Seems someone mentioned a sale in one of the threads were the transaction was done in a hotel

•••
Very strange request to meet you in person. I've not read all 7 pages of comments but it does sound dodgy.

If it's a case of him just wanting to see you to confirm you are a real person, what about suggesting a Skype call?

•••
Has anyone bothered to think about this from the Buyer's perspective?

You are successful enough to afford $50k for a domain name... yet the guy who wants to sell it to you is OUTSIDE of the United States and is refusing to do the deal face to face. Who the hell does NOT want to come to the United States (if they can).... for $50k.

Jamal, what country are you from?

I undestand many domain BECAUSE they can do it in their underwear from home... but when you are dealing with the end buyer.... anyone who can spend that kind of money likely does most of their business face to face.... and domain names are NOT what they do 24/7.

Secondly in many cultures, you DO your major deals face to face... hence why you have airplanes full of sales people traveling across the country.

Lastly, it is freaking LA.

Jamal.... if you can come to the United States legally, have the guy agree to paying for your airfare plus 2 days worth of expenses, have him buy your airfare or send you the money... Come, and conclude the deal.

•••
... on the flip side... if someone wanted me to travel from United States to..... parts of Africa or Middle East, or Asia.... that is understandable.

But LA is not an unsafe place. :facepalm:

$50k for some digital property and folks are not willing to travel to United States. lol.

•••
... on the flip side... if someone wanted me to travel from United States to..... parts of Africa or Middle East, or Asia.... that is understandable.

But LA is not an unsafe place. :facepalm:

$50k for some digital property and folks are not willing to travel to United States. lol.

I wouldn't travel to South Central.

Last edited:
•••
Who the hell does NOT want to come to the United States (if they can).... for $50k.

Lots of people now get harassed at the border and turned away, even prominent experts who have visited the USA before. Tourism to the USA is falling and so are hotel prices and bookings.

The OP could waste a journey and then have to explain to the suspicious buyer why he was unable to turn up.

•••
Don't put yourself in trouble with scammers, beware. If he is realy serious ask him deposit some money in advance in escrow or paypal. They show THEMSELVES from USA but usualy scammers from Africa so pls beware

scammers / bad people are found in every country on earth

I wouldn't advise OP to travel anywhere

Last edited:
•••
Who the hell does NOT want to come to the United States (if they can).... for $50k.

Many people, its not everyone who wants to come to USA even for 50K

•••
Lots of people now get harassed at the border and turned away, even prominent experts who have visited the USA before. Tourism to the USA is falling and so are hotel prices and bookings.

The OP could waste a journey and then have to explain to the suspicious buyer why he was unable to turn up.

You are quite right, which is why I suggested to have the buyer prepay for the trip and expenses.

Honestly, what I would do is...

1. Have the buyer agree to pay for airfare and expenses as it is above and beyond for a traditional sale.
2. Have the buyer deposit the money into escrow, and they would release in person.

This way, your trip is covered and paid for, worst case if deal does not work out... but it is a domain, they either buy it or not, there is not much due dilligence that needs to happen vs say buying a business or an established site.

•••
Lemme just say, a couple years ago a close friend of mine sold 2 domains to President Trump(yup, betta believe it) and not only did he send a jet for us to see him, but he paid for everything while we were there(Trump hotel penthouse, food, entertainment, etc). But, what I remember most about our talks is his statement "don't believe anybody who wants to bring you to their country without putting money in your account first, especially if there are no guarantees". So um, in my opinion, this person will likely change their mind and then you're stuck in some random country. If this 'prospective buyer' were actually serious, he/she wouldn't be so random. It doesn't take a domainer to realize this. And I'm no domainer :)

•••
Lemme just say, a couple years ago a close friend of mine sold 2 domains to President Trump(yup, betta believe it) and not only did he send a jet for us to see him, but he paid for everything while we were there(Trump hotel penthouse, food, entertainment, etc). <snip> And I'm no domainer :)

The Donny probably sent the jet because of your avatar pic.

Oh yeah, OP, is the domain name 3HourTourOopsFishingBoatSlaveRecruiter.net?

•••
So @jamaltq, OP where does this sale stand? Any new developments?

Last edited:
•••
•••
The Donny probably sent the jet because of your avatar pic.

Oh yeah, OP, is the domain name 3HourTourOopsFishingBoatSlaveRecruiter.net?
That moment when net is better than com lol

•••
Lemme just say, a couple years ago a close friend of mine sold 2 domains to President Trump(yup, betta believe it) and not only did he send a jet for us to see him, but he paid for everything while we were there(Trump hotel penthouse, food, entertainment, etc). But, what I remember most about our talks is his statement "don't believe anybody who wants to bring you to their country without putting money in your account first, especially if there are no guarantees". So um, in my opinion, this person will likely change their mind and then you're stuck in some random country. If this 'prospective buyer' were actually serious, he/she wouldn't be so random. It doesn't take a domainer to realize this. And I'm no domainer :)
Nice dream. :)

•••
Unless the buyer is female and looks like Salma Hayek, dont go!

You head over to their country and you are on his turf. He could even employ strong arm tactics to get you to release the domain to him OR give you $50k cash.. send you on your way and arrange for you to get robbed. The possibilities are endless.... I think if he is on the market for a domain name and if he is willing to pay up to $50k then he knows the value of a good domain, which means he is fairly tech savvy. Tech savvy enought to know about Escrow. I don't see any justification on him wanting to meet you other than to scam you out of something. Maybe they are freakin organ dealers ...you end up waking up in a bath full of ice and a missing kidney... lol. Come to think of it..even if the buyer is female and looks like Salma Hayek... DONT GO :)

•••
Last edited:
•••
The silence from the OP is getting scary. I guess he decided to go.

•••
they should do a deal with Sedo. They are a stock exchange listed company with offices in several large cities.
if he does not trust them why should he trust you?

•••
they should do a deal with Sedo. They are a stock exchange listed company with offices in several large cities.
if he does not trust them why should he trust you?
I'm sure the buyer does not trust the seller.

•••
50K is a lot of money. I can definitely see why someone would want to lock this down face to face, even at some additional expense. If I were buying such an expensive domain I might want to meet in person. Most of the USA is pretty safe. If you're really worried meet him in public and do it in front of a police station or something like that.

•••
50K is a lot of money. I can definitely see why someone would want to lock this down face to face, even at some additional expense. If I were buying such an expensive domain I might want to meet in person. Most of the USA is pretty safe. If you're really worried meet him in public and do it in front of a police station or something like that.

But if the money are in the airport locker 18C it's a set up :)

•••
•••
Unless the buyer is female and looks like Salma Hayek, dont go!...
Hmmmm... I'm guessing you've never seen Savages. :xf.eek::stop:

It might just give you second thoughts about even going to see someone that looks like Salma Hayek in a foreign country. :hurting::dead:

LOL :-P

•••
Hmmmm... I'm guessing you've never seen Savages. :xf.eek::stop:

It might just give you second thoughts about even going to see someone that looks like Salma Hayek in a foreign country. :hurting::dead:

LOL :-P

Hhahaah... Even if she was satan's spawn and you tell me "Dude, she is going to cut you up and selll your organs" ... if she looks like Salma Hayek... I'm sold! I would still go.....:xf.grin:

34.jpg

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back