IT.COM

opinion A potential buyer want me to travel to his country.

NameSilo
Watch
Hell guys
A strange request from a potential buyer for one of my domain names.
He want me to travel to his country to complete the deal face to face.
I have asked him to use Escrow services but he replied that he is not comfortable with it.
What is your feedback guys?
Thanks for all.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Travel anywhere alone for domains? Maybe it's a great domain and they want to kidnap you, force you to transfer all your domains to them, before someone finds you in a dumpster? Just Crazy.

•••
Travel anywhere alone for domains? Maybe it's a great domain and they want to kidnap you, force you to transfer all your domains to them, before someone finds you in a dumpster? Just Crazy.

LOL - Don't be so paranoid ;)
What is wrong with everyone here....

•••
Last edited:
•••
Check if he is Gay ......... :xf.wink:

•••
•••
its a bad idea to travel to the buyer

•••
•••
•••
no go no go.got scam written all over this

•••
Take your wife go with you and ask your buyer to pay airtickets plus hotel rentals if he wants.

•••
That is an extremely weird request. With all the craziness in this world, I would totally not go

•••
I would ask him to pay for my flight rental car and hotel up front. Worst case scenario you get to come to the usa for free.

worst case is you come to usa for free and never be seen again.

•••
Curious, not prying, does the would-be buyer have a " domain name buying / selling " background on
eBay where you mentioned he initially contacted you?

Can you determine from any of his eBay feedback ( and does he have items of any sort for sale) anything that may provide insight on him as a potential buyer?

I know you are not going to LA, wisely IMO.

Nevertheless, this is an interesting cloak and dagger type scenario.

•••
A La Tom Clancy ... uh... if the name is in the 50k range it means you will get a serious buyer sooner or later, it's a matter of time. Play it safe this person has ultimate motive behind the request , it's either your way or the highway.. ma 2 cents..

•••
Could it be something as simple as he wants to serve you legal papers in person in the U.S.? (Once you are here in L.A. and engaging in business, it might constitute a basis to pursue TM legal case in California... Any attorneys here feel free to chime in on this scenario...)

Bottom line - This is fishy to the extreme!!! ;)

Last edited:
•••
Hell guys
A strange request from a potential buyer for one of my domain names.
He want me to travel to his country to complete the deal face to face.
I have asked him to use Escrow services but he replied that he is not comfortable with it.
What is your feedback guys?
Thanks for all.
Depending on what your Home Country is, you may need a Visa to enter the US....and your Visa application must include the purpose of your visit; but if the purpose is, as you have stated, to go sell a Domain Name in the US, then, they will have to issue you a work permit as well, to enable a legal trade there. Assuming they issue you a Visa (a very long shot to say the least), and a work permit and the offer is legit, then your $50K would be subject to a US Lawyer's fee (10% minimum on intellectual property cases Or Escrow fee), a further 20% federal withholding Tax on your non-Residence income and a state Income Tax...After the whole deal is done, you will be looking at a net of $15-20K at the door...and that is before you take out your Travel and Accommodation expenses..

•••
In my Country, Someone can kill to get only $1000.
And, what do you think about $50K (worth)?
Keep yourself safe and don't go anywhere.
Or, You can ask him to go to your place.

•••
So the buyer wants to pay cash? Than where are you going to declare that money? You will need an American citizen to depozit the money in a bank.

As much as I've seen your posts/sales, you should not mind spending $2k for tickets, so why not spend the holidays in LA with a possibility to be a business trip?
Get as much as possible details from the buyer and fix the meeting somewhere safe.

•••
If he is putting roadblocks from start, there is good chance it will not be last roadblock in transaction even if you decide somehow go to his country.

•••
I wouldn't do this even for $50,000.

•••
defintely sounds fishy to me, would never go !!!

•••
As he said, he will be not comfortable to transfer them a big amount.

He might have valid reasons. Buyer is always right. Create solutions. Offer him bitcoin. Bitcoin would be a good solution for him. You can hire me as escrow if you and the buyer can trust me -it's up to you. Alternatively you can search for reputable bitcoin escrow services at bitcoin forums. My bitcoin escrow fee will be $200 worth of bitcoin for your $50,000 deal. -only 0.4%.

Good luck with your sales.

•••
What's the worse that could happen

•••
What's the worse that could happen
In the US anything can happen. Worse scenario, the buyer is an alien and will abduct the seller.

•••
it would be stupid to travel to his country.. He must rather travel to you

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back