Dynadot

strategy I forwarded domain to potential buyer, then pitched to them. Bad idea?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NameFu

Professional Design ServicesTop Member
Impact
I recently forwarded a domain to a potential buyer that I believe would be highly interested, before pitching to them. I let them know that I forwarded the domain to see what it looks like when entering it in a browser. It's like trying on clothing before buying.

I've never done it before and only saw one other (successful) domain investor mention this strategy ages ago.

Is this a common sales strategy now? Would you recommend it? If you have done this before, what has been your experience?

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Is this a common sales strategy now? Would you recommend it?
Hi

i'd say no, it's not a common strategy and i wouldn't recommend doing it,
especially in an "out of blue" moment.

however...
if a potential buyer was interested in the domain because of the traffic, they might request a "traffic test" and ask the seller to change NS to point to buyers site for a brief period, to verify/validate it.

and that is something i have done in the past.

imo...

•••
Is this a common sales strategy now? Would you recommend it? If you have done this before, what has been your experience?

Hi, thank you for bringing this subject about, I have the same questions for experienced members.

@biggie , thank you for the information. You say you've done this in the past (upon potential buyers' request). I would like to know whether there is any technical aspect that should be taken into consideration, like the chance they "harm" your domain by this association. I am still really clueless regarding these aspects and have read some negative comments on redirection/forwarding here.

So I was hoping to learn a little more about this from your views, and thank you in advance.

•••
Some people are clueless about this sort of stuff and you might freak someone out before getting the chance to explain it......apart from that, can't see the harm but can't really see a lot of upside potential either......

•••
It's worth noting that this strategy could indeed get a buyer's interest, giving them a better understanding of the domain's potential value to them.

However, it's crucial to approach this strategy with caution to avoid any unintended negative outcomes, such as a UDRP dispute or legal issues.
I would recommend the following alternative approach:
  1. Contact the potential buyer: Reach out to the interested party and express your enthusiasm about the domain's potential. Share some key features or benefits of the domain that you believe align with their needs or industry.
  2. Offer a limited-time exclusive opportunity: Instead of automatically forwarding the domain, propose that you can grant them temporary access to a unique preview of the domain for a specified period, such as three weeks. Emphasize that this exclusive opportunity is being extended to them to gauge their interest.
  3. Clearly outline terms and conditions: In your communication, make it clear that this exclusive preview is subject to certain terms and conditions. For example, they must maintain confidentiality, refrain from using the domain for any commercial purposes during the preview, and agree that it doesn't constitute a sale or transfer of ownership.
  4. Keep records: Document all communications and agreements with the potential buyer to ensure a transparent and legal transaction process.
By taking this approach, you maintain control over the domain while still providing the potential buyer with a unique opportunity to evaluate its potential. This strategy allows you to engage them professionally and ethically, reducing the risk of disputes or complications.

IMO.... GL

•••
why over complicate things?

1 - if your already doing outbound this should be done already
2 - preview to what? Unless already mentioned it has high traffic, this really achieves nothing
3 - this causes unnecessary negotiations, stipulations and potential for someone to say no
4 - again, while doing outbound you should already be keeping the email correspondences and using a 3rd party escrow secures the sale while being transparent - which should just be standard

Edit - as I said previously, no harm in trying it out, but I don't personally think it's worth all the additional effort

Last edited:
•••
why over complicate things?

1 - if your already doing outbound this should be done already
2 - preview to what? Unless already mentioned it has high traffic, this really achieves nothing
3 - this causes unnecessary negotiations, stipulations and potential for someone to say no
4 - again, while doing outbound you should already be keeping the email correspondences and using a 3rd party escrow secures the sale while being transparent - which should just be standard

Edit - as I said previously, no harm in trying it out, but I don't personally think it's worth all the additional effort
To safeguard his interests in case the buyer decides to pursue alternative methods to acquire the domain and potentially complicate matters.

•••
It's worth noting that this strategy could indeed get a buyer's interest, giving them a better understanding of the domain's potential value to them.

However, it's crucial to approach this strategy with caution to avoid any unintended negative outcomes, such as a UDRP dispute or legal issues.
I would recommend the following alternative approach:
  1. Contact the potential buyer: Reach out to the interested party and express your enthusiasm about the domain's potential. Share some key features or benefits of the domain that you believe align with their needs or industry.
  2. Offer a limited-time exclusive opportunity: Instead of automatically forwarding the domain, propose that you can grant them temporary access to a unique preview of the domain for a specified period, such as three weeks. Emphasize that this exclusive opportunity is being extended to them to gauge their interest.
  3. Clearly outline terms and conditions: In your communication, make it clear that this exclusive preview is subject to certain terms and conditions. For example, they must maintain confidentiality, refrain from using the domain for any commercial purposes during the preview, and agree that it doesn't constitute a sale or transfer of ownership.
  4. Keep records: Document all communications and agreements with the potential buyer to ensure a transparent and legal transaction process.
By taking this approach, you maintain control over the domain while still providing the potential buyer with a unique opportunity to evaluate its potential. This strategy allows you to engage them professionally and ethically, reducing the risk of disputes or complications.

IMO.... GL

Hello "IMO"GPT ! 👋🏻

•••
•••
Hello "IMO"GPT ! 👋🏻

Spelling, grammar and writing not my strong points.

Ai since last year has been amazing for me personally, so yeah Hello Ai. 🤖

•••
Spelling, grammar and writing not my strong points.

So you gave the AI all those ideas and made it construct sentences?

Or did you just write "IMO" under a content written by AI and claim it as your own?

•••
So you gave the AI all those ideas and made it construct sentences?

Or did you just write "IMO" under a content written by AI and claim it as your own?
Have a day off!!!

•••
Is the domain generic, or does it involve a brand or trademark the potential buyer uses? If it's the latter, you could be preparing the ground for some C&D or worse.

Regardless, the method achieves very little in terms of pitching and it might upset the buyer if they fail to understand your intentions.

•••
Is the domain generic, or does it involve a brand or trademark the potential buyer uses? If it's the latter, you could be preparing the ground for some C&D or worse.

Regardless, the method achieves very little in terms of pitching and it might upset the buyer if they fail to understand your intentions.

Thanks for your reply!

The domain is the generic name of their industry on dot com.

It's so laser targeted that I think they'd be absolute fools not to acquire it.

But your points are very well taken.

Last edited:
•••
Doing outbound almost always puts you in the weaker position (unless you have dictionary word top of the line domains) I would only do any sort of tactic to get attention such as this if the domain is priced in the sweet spot or less.

You always risk the chance of being perceived as desperate and the lowballing will commence. As long as you know that and that marketing tactics can turn people off do as you see fit. I think I prefer the keep i simple approach stated above.

•••
This sounds like blackmail to me.

•••
Sold my very first 3 domains this way, back in 2013.

Buyer was a rich guy (couple), that tried to get a new business started, in the fashion industry.

I reserved 3 domains, that had the initials of their brand (it only consisted of 2 characters), with -fashion, -brand and something else as suffix.

Forwarded to their site, mailed them, got paid $300.

However, their brand vanished after a year or so...

At that time, I didn't know anything about copyrights, TMs...

Wouldn't do it this time again.

Last edited:
•••
Sold my very first 3 domains this way, back in 2013.

Buyer was a rich guy (couple), that tried to get a new business started, in the fashion industry.

I reserved 3 domains, that had the initials of their brand (it only consisted of 2 characters), with -fashion, -brand and something else as suffix.

Forwarded to their site, mailed them, got paid $300.

However, their brand vanished after a year or so...

At that time, I didn't know anything about copyrights, TMs...

Wouldn't do it this time again.

Interesting story! Thanks for sharing!

•••
Hi, thank you for bringing this subject about, I have the same questions for experienced members.

@biggie , thank you for the information. You say you've done this in the past (upon potential buyers' request). I would like to know whether there is any technical aspect that should be taken into consideration, like the chance they "harm" your domain by this association. I am still really clueless regarding these aspects and have read some negative comments on redirection/forwarding here.

So I was hoping to learn a little more about this from your views, and thank you in advance.
Hi

note that,
my comments are always from an incoming inquiry perspective, and not from direct solicitation thru email.

so i basically know what they want to use the domain for.

it's not that complicated, when you think of how the "lease to own" plan, operates at Dan.com -
where basically the buyer gets to "test" your domain for as long as they pay the monthly fee.

in my case, buyer contacted me, first.
so i maintained all leverage/control thru the screening process...before any agreement is reached.

you could put your domain at risk, if you do it without prior permission.

imo...

•••
Without permission, I think it's too strong an approach and likely unsettling for most. It would be an instant turnoff for me as a buyer.

Also eliminates the "discoverability" aspect. Presenting a domain to a buyer is one thing but force-feeding it won't really give that sense of ownership because the buyer didn't ask for it to begin with.

You mentioned "to see what it looks like when entering it a browser" this would be cloak forwarding the domain right? I would use that as an option to the buyer in your presentation, ask first if they would like that. Almost like a test drive.

•••
Without permission, I think it's too strong an approach and likely unsettling for most. It would be an instant turnoff for me as a buyer.

Also eliminates the "discoverability" aspect. Presenting a domain to a buyer is one thing but force-feeding it won't really give that sense of ownership because the buyer didn't ask for it to begin with.

You mentioned "to see what it looks like when entering it a browser" this would be cloak forwarding the domain right? I would use that as an option to the buyer in your presentation, ask first if they would like that. Almost like a test drive.
I get what you're saying,

If I owned "SpecificBeerBrand.com" and someone pitching the sale of Beer.com to me mentions that he forwarded it to my site so that I can get a feel for the potential it has, I would at the very least appreciate seeing that and it would also reassure me that he actually owns the domain.

But as a salesman I understand that different end users think differently, so I may not do this again, without asking first.

I appreciate your reply! Thank you!

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back