NameSilo

.co $6 million wasted on .co registrations.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Do you think .co will be a success?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    35.2%
  • No

votes
    47.4%
  • Unsure

votes
    17.4%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

$6 million wasted on .CO registrations.

I am somewhat surprised at the level of interest in .co over the last couple of days, from bloggers claiming it is now in the "top 4 extensions" and being worth 10% of a .com to others talking about developing these names and other madness.

A few comments about .co,

1. In my view the main appeal with this extension is typo traffic. Having said that, looking at some Alexa rankings, compete scores and Google Adwords data I would say only the very best generic .co's are going to get much traffic. The registry made a calculated decision when deciding to go public. The main area is likely to be ™ names (registry passes the buck). Even then it seems the registry has done a good job connecting with big sites. Still I think the ™ typo area is the main opportunity.

2. Considering point one, that these names are totally confusing, how does it makes sense to consider developing these names names.

Would you develop a misspell?
Would you develop a .cm?
Then why would you develop a .co?

The extension is going to be totally confusing for the average person on the street. .biz would be a better choice for development.

3. Reg fees - they aren't cheap and it is going to suck out a lot of the profitability from these names. Whatever value was there is 25% of that with reg fees 4 times higher than other extensions.

4. It's different this time! Isn't it?

.ws, .cc, .tv, .biz, .info, .us, .eu, .mobi, .tel, .me.

Supposedly with every new extension it is going to be different. There is always some compelling reason or argument as to why the latest extension will succeed where other have failed. People will debate it for the next year or two.

In reality it never is different. People get excited for a few months. .co is cool and new, and the fact that nobody actuallly uses it isn't that important yet, after all there is time for growth. Then interest wanes, things turn out not quite as planned. A year later everyone is dropping. People then get angry with the registry saying a lot was promised and not delivered.

Why do the same mistakes keep getting repeated? The registry is setting people up for today, the day when they part with their money and register 200,000 .co names. Most of the money goes into the launch and promoting premium auctions. Afterwards doesn't matter much. Get ready to be strung along a lot.

6. Staged sales/usage: You've been sold to!

disrupt.co, no_url_shorteners, o.co

There is not much genuine news in this. Disrupt.co was part of an advertising deal. Did you really think techcrunch just chose to use that name? o.co, a sale that appeared a few hours before the launch, the registry is pouring some fuel on the fire here. They want to get you excited for today.

7. Who is even using this extension?

This is .mobi all over again, instead of the big backers who weren't really backing (Google, Microsoft etc) we've got 3 well known sites supposedly adopting .co (Twitter, Overstock, Techcrunch), do you think these people will be anywhere near the extension in 12 months time? How significant is this usage anyway, a url shortener? Overstock doing a url redirect to their main site? Techcrunch promoting a site for a week or so?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have however seen a number of people type .com when advertising their latest .co registrations... :hehe:

Yes, I have done it many times as well when meaning to type .CO

.COM is far to established in the world for anything to challenge it. Even in 2010 there are 2M+ .COM registrations per month.

That is a problem with developing a generic .CO - the amount of traffic it will drive to .COM will be a major problem.

Brad

•••
When .TV was making GD money it was ” a globally recognised extension”,number 2 in the drop down and Bob even had his own .TV site,then when Bob wanted a piece of the premium pie and Versign told him where to go, he could not wait to point out .TV is cctld of Tuvalu,Now .co is flavour of the month, no mention of it actually being the cctld of Columbia,and again we have another “Globally recognised extension”.

•••
For the first time in 4+ years, I have the same opinion of Snoop.

.co = useless

These days I don't even type in URLs almost anymore due to auto-complete and other Chrome features.

But I disagree on the similarity with other extensions mentioned by Snoop:

.ws = totally useless
.cc = got some use in the past
.tv = great idea, but just a different flavour.
.biz = useless
.info = got some use, mainly in Europe
.us = got some use in the Usa and it may be used more in the future .eu = got some use in Europe
.mobi = got little use, especially in Europe
.tel = totally useless
.me = totally useless

I'd say that .co falls in the "useless" category, except for Colombia.

I did not order any .co and the fact that "O.co" was "sold" (maybe....) for big bucks does not change my view at all.

•••
I agree with snoop on this one.
I was wading in to make the point about phishing concerns, but I see enlytend has beaten me to it.
I may get one .co to protect a .com from phishing, but only after I've seen some evidence/statistics relating to typos. Although it pains me to think about throwing money at another registry, for the benefit of the users I'd consider it...

PS everyone - It's spelt COLOMBIA

Oh and this was hilarious...

.CO is glowing at rocket speed while .COM as been growing slowly by age like a turtle.

In 5 years i expect .CO to kill .ORG and .NET or reach the same level as .COM

Thank you so much for making me laugh really hard. I almost had tea over the laptop which would have been an expensive disaster.

You understand though, I can't let these type of comments sully my NamePros experience?

•••
The .COM fan boy arguments:

- .COM is old and .CO is new, therefore .CO sucks.
- .CO is for Colombia, therefore .CO sucks.
- .CO is a typo of .COM, therefore .CO sucks.

Is that all you haters have to say?

Last edited:
•••
bivinteractive.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2813&Itemid=32 - Demand for .tel domains overshadowing launch of .co

No I would like this opportunity to thank all those .Co haters for saving me a lot of time and money !

I didn't register a single .Co - I was very close to registering one but the .CO haters stopped me, so thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
bivinteractive.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2813&Itemid=32 - Demand for .tel domains overshadowing launch of .co

You got to be kidding me...

Your comparing .CO with .TEL ? :|

•••
Demand for .tel domains overshadowing launch of .co

More .co domains registered than .tel and this is the first week that it has been open to general public at reasonable prices.

Personally, I think that .co is already a success with the strong start that it has made on the market.

•••
It seems like best names are mostly either reserved by the registry, owned by "internet portfolio sa" or owned by "codom holdings llc". :|

•••
More .co domains registered than .tel and this is the first week that it has been open to general public at reasonable prices.

'reasonable prices' hahahahaha !

You call $30 a reasonable price, I call it 'daylight robbery' Well you know what they say :

There's one born every minute !

•••
'reasonable prices' hahahahaha !

You call $30 a reasonable price, I call it 'daylight robbery' Well you know what they say :

There's one born every minute !

When he said reasonable prices, he was referring non-landrush $300 domains.

•••
When he said reasonable prices, he was referring non-landrush $300 domains.

Wow don't get me started on the non-landrush $300

hands in the air !

Last edited:
•••
Hells bells, with all these domainers not registering .co domains I then wonder who is actually registering them. I mean over 300k registrations, most to non-domainers by the sounds of it!

Ah well, I guess I have just wasted some more of my childrens and grand-childrens inheritance, at least according to the 'wise seers' that are on the forums.

•••
Hells bells, with all these domainers not registering .co domains I then wonder who is actually registering them. I mean over 300k registrations, most to non-domainers by the sounds of it!

I'm still holding out.

Last edited:
•••

Hey, I don't hate .co, I even registered a few LLL.
But I have always avoid past landrushes like .tel .mobi .asia etc.

IMO .co is different because from the above because it's a ccTLD and it has a natural market. So even if it doesn't take off outside Colombia it's not totally useless.

Your belief that .co is the next .com that is completely flawed - this is where I disagree. You can pimp it up as you like it... it's not the real thing.

•••
I was able to register a few good keywords but didn't go crazy with it. In total I have only registered 4 domains so less than $125 invested and they are good keywords. Will see how the traffic is and might register some more in future. But so far I don't think it will be as big as everyone has hyped it to be.

.Com will always be the king.

•••
Your belief that .co is the next .com that is completely flawed - this is where I disagree. You can pimp it up as you like it... it's not the real thing.
Again the argument from the old.

People are more adaptable than you think and i don’t see a problem of them incorporating .co into their memories. Some make it sound like we are all a bunch of .com somnambulists walking around hypnotized with the word “.com” on our collective breathes and that all businesses should be fixed models with no room for change or flexibility. I don’t think being frozen in .com time is progressive. Bottom line here with .co has always been availability. All good .com words are gone so people find a creative alternative to get the word they want with a legitimate, short extension. Just pretty natural, IMO. .co is just an alternative for the new generation of interneters.

What I like in .co’s is the fact that in the future, technically and ideally, it could be even a better version of .com because of its shortness and memorability, which is what the DNS has been created for.

In European English .co would probably be much better aligned with company than .com, if .com hadn’t ‘got there’ first.

Last edited:
•••
Again the argument from the old.

People are more adaptable than you think and i don’t see a problem of them incorporating .co into their memories. Some make it sound like we are all a bunch of .com somnambulists walking around hypnotized with the word “.com” on our collective breathes and that all businesses should be fixed models with no room for change or flexibility. I don’t think being frozen in .com time is progressive. Bottom line here with .co has always been availability. All good .com words are gone so people find a creative alternative to get the word they want with a legitimate, short extension. Just pretty natural, IMO. .co is just an alternative for the new generation of interneters.

What I like in .co’s is the fact that in the future, technically and ideally, it could be even a better version of .com because of its shortness and memorability, which is what the DNS has been created for.

In European English .co would probably be much better aligned with company than .com, if .com hadn’t ‘got there’ first.

Wishfull thinking on your part. The .co will not gain traction or market share against the .com. As much as you may want and hope that it does, it is not going to happen. As you know, .com got there first. That is the fact.

Personally, I like the .co it is shorter than .com and has meaning, but it is just way too late in the game now. At the very most the .co might become like a .de or .es. An extension used by a country. There is a .000001% chance it might get accepted as a global tld.

That is my opinion anyway, but I wish the best of luck to those with a dream of millions from their random registrations of this new extension.

•••
At the very most the .co might become like a .de or .es. An extension used by a country. There is a .000001% chance it might get accepted as a global tld.

Might? It is. It's Colombia.

And by the looks of it it will be regarded as more than just a cctld.

•••
Might? It is. It's Colombia.

And by the looks of it it will be regarded as more than just a cctld.

Colombians are used to the .com.co so just the .co may or may not be adopted by Colombians.

When you say "And by the looks of it it will be regarded as more than just a cctld"

By whom exactly? Outside of domainers, no one knows .co exists. If you try to explain the extension to someone they are going to be confused.

Imagine you are a company and you don't have the .com so you get the .co. You spend thousands on advertising your company.co... What happens, everyone goes to company.com, because nobody knows about .co.

I feel sad for anyone spending money on advertising a .co name, the traffic is going to the .com

The .co is great, but it is to late in the game.

•••
Colombians are used to the .com.co so just the .co may or may not be adopted by Colombians.

Biggest newspaper is .com and biggest broadcast stations are also .com. Biggest airlines are also .com. Biggest soda company is also a .com, etc, etc, etc. In fact, I've been to Colombia many times and hear little about .com.co. Yes, some companies do use .com.co, but that doesn't mean the country is used to that extension.

Also, your .000001% appears to be sliding away since there have been many reports that it will be a global tld.

•••
lol at the haters on the .co domains.. they either

1. Dont know the benefits of the .co
2. They cant afford it,
3. They must of bought a few .me's and a few .info's in the past and have made nothing out of them hence the hate is flowing over the .co's.

Forget the bloody search engines for now and where the tld came from and what people have to say about the .co just use your own intellect.. and judge it on the basis of what it is thats what i did.

.co is almost the same as .com. '.co.' is a shorter version of the '.com' - this alone makes the .co supersede the .com. Its much shorter, easier to remember and more convenient. Naturally your brain will click more easily with a .co as oppose to .me's .info's etc. As you know im sure the shorter the domain is the better... this will make google want to harvest .co's more than any other domain extension such as .me, .info's. Again its a natural process which the search engines will take action on.

As for what people are saying about .co's its already been released as a global extension and google have confirmed it will put it on par with the .com and the .net, .org globally.

Search engines like google will want to index .co's even more simply because the .co is shorter than the .com.

Those who miss out on the .co era will be knocking their heads in a few years time... and threads like these will be like going down memory lane for them...

•••
Interesting that you mention that.
If you look at countries that have opened registrations to the second level in the last few years, it probably takes years until the second level catches up.
For example .pe & .cr still have more registrations at the third level than the second.

As you know im sure the shorter the domain is the better... this will make google want to harvest .co's more than any other domain extension such as .me, .info's. Again its a natural process which the search engines will take action on.
Complete nonsense.

Those who miss out on the .co era will be knocking their heads in a few years time... and threads like these will be like going down memory lane for them...
We already have plenty of such threads at NP: the .mobi thread, the .asia thread, the .tel thread,... full of shattered dreams.
Oh wait this time it's different right ? Yeah right it's always 'different'.

We always see the same repeat at every landrush: newbies vs the 'old guard'.
What usually happens after one year, the newbies lose money, drop out of domaining and move on to another hobby.
Your wishful thinking has zero impact on how end users will receive the extension. BTW you have only 3 domains, you're not even drinking your own Koolaid.

The bottom line:
  • .com holders are not going to rebrand as .co, at most they will do defensive registrations
  • developers will have serious reservations about building future websites on a .co (provided they even know about it) because:
    1. potential for confusion: many people do not know about .com and will assume it's a misspell and/or not trust it. Again, put yourself in the shoes of a non-domainer, not many people are knowledgeable about ccTLDs (other than their own).
    2. it's not .com, it's an extension that purports to be like .com but the fact is... it's just another extension. It's not a replacement, it's a possible alternative that will not amount to anything significant.

•••
As far as I know, g00gle have not made any official statement about making .co a gtld. There was an article saying that this may happen in the future, but it was not from g00gle.
Currently on auction is the name of a hugely famous Agony aunt, chatshow host and tv company owner, in the .co
This is the kind of thing which will hold the .co back :imho:

.co = the cybersquatters dream come true.

•••
For example .pe & .cr still have more registrations at the third level than the second.

that's also because third level domains are (usually) cheaper

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back