NameSilo

.co $6 million wasted on .co registrations.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Do you think .co will be a success?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    35.2%
  • No

votes
    47.4%
  • Unsure

votes
    17.4%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

$6 million wasted on .CO registrations.

I am somewhat surprised at the level of interest in .co over the last couple of days, from bloggers claiming it is now in the "top 4 extensions" and being worth 10% of a .com to others talking about developing these names and other madness.

A few comments about .co,

1. In my view the main appeal with this extension is typo traffic. Having said that, looking at some Alexa rankings, compete scores and Google Adwords data I would say only the very best generic .co's are going to get much traffic. The registry made a calculated decision when deciding to go public. The main area is likely to be ™ names (registry passes the buck). Even then it seems the registry has done a good job connecting with big sites. Still I think the ™ typo area is the main opportunity.

2. Considering point one, that these names are totally confusing, how does it makes sense to consider developing these names names.

Would you develop a misspell?
Would you develop a .cm?
Then why would you develop a .co?

The extension is going to be totally confusing for the average person on the street. .biz would be a better choice for development.

3. Reg fees - they aren't cheap and it is going to suck out a lot of the profitability from these names. Whatever value was there is 25% of that with reg fees 4 times higher than other extensions.

4. It's different this time! Isn't it?

.ws, .cc, .tv, .biz, .info, .us, .eu, .mobi, .tel, .me.

Supposedly with every new extension it is going to be different. There is always some compelling reason or argument as to why the latest extension will succeed where other have failed. People will debate it for the next year or two.

In reality it never is different. People get excited for a few months. .co is cool and new, and the fact that nobody actuallly uses it isn't that important yet, after all there is time for growth. Then interest wanes, things turn out not quite as planned. A year later everyone is dropping. People then get angry with the registry saying a lot was promised and not delivered.

Why do the same mistakes keep getting repeated? The registry is setting people up for today, the day when they part with their money and register 200,000 .co names. Most of the money goes into the launch and promoting premium auctions. Afterwards doesn't matter much. Get ready to be strung along a lot.

6. Staged sales/usage: You've been sold to!

disrupt.co, no_url_shorteners, o.co

There is not much genuine news in this. Disrupt.co was part of an advertising deal. Did you really think techcrunch just chose to use that name? o.co, a sale that appeared a few hours before the launch, the registry is pouring some fuel on the fire here. They want to get you excited for today.

7. Who is even using this extension?

This is .mobi all over again, instead of the big backers who weren't really backing (Google, Microsoft etc) we've got 3 well known sites supposedly adopting .co (Twitter, Overstock, Techcrunch), do you think these people will be anywhere near the extension in 12 months time? How significant is this usage anyway, a url shortener? Overstock doing a url redirect to their main site? Techcrunch promoting a site for a week or so?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.NET is for networking
.ORG is for non-profit

Different animals.

.CO stands for commerce like .COM

•••
.NET if for networking
.ORG if for non-profit

Different animals.

.CO stands for commerce like .COM

.CO stands for Colombia. Anything else is marketing.

NET is far and away the second most popular gTLD in the world. There are 13M+ total regs and growing with 300k+ regs per month.

.ORG is also not just for "non profit"

It is always amusing how new extensions and trends bring out the noobs. They seem to know it all then disappear in a year when the renewals come up and they realize they wasted their money.

Brad

•••
...I am curious to know your opinion on folks that have secured domains such as LaptopComputers, PlasmaTelevisions.co and the like. Do you view that as a waste of money?
I don't know who bought what. But like any new extension, great keywords will be bought, sold and developed. Names like you mention can make money being sold for low $xxx that people would 'gladly'(?) pay. The test results of 'waste of money', will be in a year or two, for those that will have ponied up 'big' bucks for names on the aftermarket, or who have regged big portfolios of names, and where the acceptance of the extension is then. And if it doesn't end up being 'the next big thing' by then, at $30 a reg, it'll be the 'next big dropped extension'!

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

...It is always amusing how new extensions and trends bring out the noobs. They seem to know it all then disappear in a year when the renewals come up and they realize they wasted their money.

Brad
Time again and new extension - proven!

•••

NET is far and away the second most popular gTLD in the world. There are 13M+ total regs and growing with 300k+ regs per month.

It is always amusing how new extensions and trends bring out the noobs. They seem to know it all then disappear in a year when the renewals come up and they realize they wasted their money.

Brad

So when a person sees website.co, they will automatically think, "that's for Colombia! I shouldn't go in there!" And when a person sees Justin.TV, they will think that website is for some random guy named Justin who lives in Tuvalu.

.Net and .Org are successful and well known, but extensions such as .me, .tv, .info, etc are very uncommon for the average Joe. Why is .co any different than the most recent TLDs? Because people have been typing those 2 letters in a sequence for how many years now?

I personally grabbed all my names in Spanish, but I don't see a problem with people choosing English terms.

•••

Brad

This is how i read:

Nike.com = Oh nice... that make sense ! Nike is commercial.
Nike.net = WTF ? Nike is an internet network ?
Nike.org = Wow ! Nike is offering charity service !

Nike.tv = Nice ! i can watch Nike related videos !
Nike.co = Excellent ! Nike is a company.

Just because an extension is popular doen't mean the domain name is good.

•••
The funny part about all the .co chearleading and chearleaders, is that if you look closely, one can notice that 75%+ of them, are new to the forums, and more than likely new to domaining. But they 'know' .co will be a great success. (Will they share some stock tips with us too??)
History repeats itself.
If you look at past landrush threads, in particular .mobi .tel, the most vocal cheerleaders were new to the forum (and domaining). Where are they now ?
But hey this time it's different :snaphappy:

Sometimes what's needed is fresh eyes...I can understand why jaded domainers who were burned by .mobi, .eu, etc. are very hesitant to jump on this one as well but history doesn't always prove the rule. Nobody knows for certain whether .co will catch on with the public. It's too early to tell. All we can say with certainty is that this one is different than the other TLD's...will it makes us rich? you don't know, I don't know...that will depend on myriad factors.
Can you name newer (post-2000) extensions that have made anybody rich :guilty:
Most have been utter failures, for a reason. They were not needed or wanted in the first place.

A number of posters stated to the effect that we need an 'alternative' because .com is crowded. But alternatives have always been available before .co. That doesn't mean they are as good or even palatable ie. .ws for websites, LOL.

Just because .co looks like .com and is marketed as generic newbies think it's the second coming of the dotcom boom.

•••
History repeats itself.
If you look at past landrush threads, in particular .mobi .tel, the most vocal cheerleaders were new to the forum (and domaining). Where are they now ?
But hey this time it's different :snaphappy:
And if those '.mobi' (only) threads were read 'in context', it'd shed light on those that cheerlead, and 'those' that simply and aggressively disputed 'jeffs nonsensical flamebaiting blabberings.' (isn't is peaceful without him lately!) There was no pom-pom waving in those disputes, just factual counter-claims. And new here yes in early '06, but there in '98-'99 at the GD and Afternic chatrooms. :) But of course, some only read things to say what they ...'want'.

oh... :snaphappy:

•••
This is how i read:

Nike.com = Oh nice... that make sense ! Nike is commercial.
Nike.net = WTF ? Nike is an internet network ?
Nike.org = Wow ! Nike is offering charity service !

Nike.tv = Nice ! i can watch Nike related videos !
Nike.co = Excellent ! Nike is a company.

Just because an extension is popular doen't mean the domain name is good.

Right, but the popularity of an extension plays a big role in the reseller value and end user demand.

If you think .TV and .CO are the future, then best of luck with that.

Brad

•••
If you think .TV and .CO are the future, then best of luck with that.

Not that I am a .tv fan or anything but how can one mock .tv whilst at the same time talking up .us?

•••
Not that I am a .tv fan or anything but how can one mock .tv whilst at the same time talking up .us?

I was not mocking .TV. I was pointing out that 10+ years later .TV is what it is - a niche extension. It still has value for top tier keywords.

For any alternate extensions to have major value the terms need to be very good. Even if .CO takes off the vast majority of the registrations I have seen will not as they are inferior keywords.

Regardless, if you want to start a .US bashing thread be my guest.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Even if .CO takes off the vast majority of the registrations I have seen will not as they are inferior keywords.
- very rarely I do agree with you, but here you are correct.

BTW, .co is a success already. I'm not sure what the prices will be 10 years from now, but like you're saying most of the names we see here won't sell for millions no matter what.

Looking at the official threads (number of replies/views) for .CO and .US shows an interesting number.

Last edited:
•••
Looking at the official threads (number of replies/views) for .CO and .US shows an interesting number.

Yes...because of the new investors that are trying to pump the living crap out of it. Same with every new extension and the same fate will befall .co . I can't comment on .us. Someone like Brad would be in a better position to highlight its merits.

BTW, .co is a success already

????? In what galaxy is it a success?

•••

Look at the replies/views on the various new extensions in the past, and recent trends like 3D domains as well.

There is always more interest when a new extension is first released. Take a look at the posts/views for the .TEL discussion thread for example.

Brad

---------- Post added at 12:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 AM ----------

BTW, .co is a success already.

It is?

Personally I feel a lot of the excitement already dying down.

There will always be demand for top tier keywords, such as the 39,000 that were already taken before open registration. However, how many top quality terms were really left when open registration started?

Brad

•••
Sounds like you already know how it's all going to play out. :|
sounds like you are defensive for some reason. I already have 4 Colombian domains (.com.co) if you read my post. Congrats on your .co's.
It looks like you failed to get some good .COs and now your crying :'( and spreading hate on the extension to make you feel comfortable and proud of yourself.
it looks like you are the one who is bitter and doing all you can to make yourself feel better. Why are you .co guys so defensive?? lol Yes i "missed out" on the names i had on my list. But those are the only names that were worth me regging... I'm not going to reg "a name" just so i can have a .co. Also, if you read my post, I already own some Colombian cctld's. Now...don't let me stop you... get to work developing your .co's...make some big 6-7 figure sells and prove us "haters" wrong... we're waiting :)

•••

he must have been talking about the success of the Registrars in squeezing sooooooooooo much money out of the lotto players

•••
- very rarely I do agree with you, but here you are correct.

That is how it is in all extensions though, 95%+ of names registered by speculators should never have been taken.

BTW, .co is a success already.

In what way, for registrars? for domainers? I haven't seen much evidence of domainers making money. The only sale I've heard of is Mike Mann selling flying.co for $3500.

Ok, Mike Mann is on the list of people who have likely made money from it. He look to have a hundred or so names worth low 4 figures perhaps in the current market.

Take a look at flipping.co for evidence of how domainers aren't making money. There is hundreds of mainly one/two word and 3 letter .co's on it (they have already been screened for quality according to the site). I counted 14 names with bids, and most of those bids were barely above reg fee.

Last edited:
•••
Take a look at flipping.co for evidence of how domainers aren't making money. There is hundreds of mainly one/two word and 3 letter .co's on it (they have already been screened for quality according to the site). I counted 14 names with bids, and most of those bids were barely above reg fee.
Well you know the tune: ".co is new, give it some time".
Problem is that time does not automatically make domains more valuable.

•••

Time change

•••
•••
I think this extention, like .co, .tv, .cc, .pro and other exotic extentions, is waste of money for regular domainers. Registrars are making money, not ordinary people registering domains in exotic zones. Some domains will sell, but you had to be at the beginning of the que to get one or few of top 1000 names.

Furthermore, renewals of $25-$30, i.e. 4 times the .com or .net annual fee, renewal costs will bite in the pockets of domainers with big .co portfolios.

I think in a year we will see a large step back in the number of registered .co domains.

Many people are saying .com is king. It is the fact of the last ten, twenty years. It will be the same for the years ahead. The more extensions will come to the market, the more valuable will the the dotcom.

Dotcom is unique, whereas all other "great" extensions - .tv, .pro, .cc, .mobi, already existing for many years, are just any other extensions used by endusers wanting to save money by not purchasing occupied .com, .net, .org domain and rather registering the desired names in exotic zones. Thus even if there are potential endusers will be considering .co domains, that are the endusers who what to save few additional bucks. People with money will not go for .co, they will go for gTLD. And domainers invested in .co will be in a pretty bad situation where occasional sales will not cover even the fraction of the .co portfolio's rebewal costs.

All above is my opinion, I might be right or wrong. The time will show.

•••

With all the hype though surely now is the time .co's should be getting decent activity, especially with some saying .co is already a success, yet even a site with prescreened names, several hundred fairly good quality terms, has got almost no activity. In my view that should be the first wakeup call for domainers in this market.

I guess another way of thinking of it is like this, one of the richest domainers in the world (worth tens of millions of dollars) sold flying.co for $3500 whereas flying.com sold a few months ago $1.1million. For the people who think these names are comparable to .net or .org, this is probably more like .biz levels. So if the names right near the top are worth low-mid 4 figures, where does that leave everyone who didn't have good connections with the registry and had to settle for whatever they decided to release?

•••
jk

Last edited:
•••
Yes...because of the new investors that are trying to pump the living crap out of it. Same with every new extension and the same fate will befall .co . I can't comment on .us. Someone like Brad would be in a better position to highlight its merits.

I agree, And further to say, .Co will have to run it's course with the general public, remember folks, most don't even know .co exists. So why would they buy a .co for their company or ect?

Time will tell, If it stimulates the domain economy, Go head on .co , Domainer to domainer sales just wont keep it going for a long period of time IMO

•••
The only way I would buy a .co domain is if it was a misspelling of a very common word or phrase, and was short, or it was a domain hack (like ta.co). I still wouldn't do that as soon as it comes out though, .net is taking what over a decade to be bought out, so there will be plenty of time to get good names and .co will most likely become more known and popular by then.

•••
Current count on the main site:

* 3 * 7 * 3 * , * 0 * 5 * 0

Come back in a week. If it's still under 400K then we can discuss.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back