Dynadot

.co $6 million wasted on .co registrations.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Do you think .co will be a success?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    35.2%
  • No

votes
    47.4%
  • Unsure

votes
    17.4%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

$6 million wasted on .CO registrations.

I am somewhat surprised at the level of interest in .co over the last couple of days, from bloggers claiming it is now in the "top 4 extensions" and being worth 10% of a .com to others talking about developing these names and other madness.

A few comments about .co,

1. In my view the main appeal with this extension is typo traffic. Having said that, looking at some Alexa rankings, compete scores and Google Adwords data I would say only the very best generic .co's are going to get much traffic. The registry made a calculated decision when deciding to go public. The main area is likely to be ™ names (registry passes the buck). Even then it seems the registry has done a good job connecting with big sites. Still I think the ™ typo area is the main opportunity.

2. Considering point one, that these names are totally confusing, how does it makes sense to consider developing these names names.

Would you develop a misspell?
Would you develop a .cm?
Then why would you develop a .co?

The extension is going to be totally confusing for the average person on the street. .biz would be a better choice for development.

3. Reg fees - they aren't cheap and it is going to suck out a lot of the profitability from these names. Whatever value was there is 25% of that with reg fees 4 times higher than other extensions.

4. It's different this time! Isn't it?

.ws, .cc, .tv, .biz, .info, .us, .eu, .mobi, .tel, .me.

Supposedly with every new extension it is going to be different. There is always some compelling reason or argument as to why the latest extension will succeed where other have failed. People will debate it for the next year or two.

In reality it never is different. People get excited for a few months. .co is cool and new, and the fact that nobody actuallly uses it isn't that important yet, after all there is time for growth. Then interest wanes, things turn out not quite as planned. A year later everyone is dropping. People then get angry with the registry saying a lot was promised and not delivered.

Why do the same mistakes keep getting repeated? The registry is setting people up for today, the day when they part with their money and register 200,000 .co names. Most of the money goes into the launch and promoting premium auctions. Afterwards doesn't matter much. Get ready to be strung along a lot.

6. Staged sales/usage: You've been sold to!

disrupt.co, no_url_shorteners, o.co

There is not much genuine news in this. Disrupt.co was part of an advertising deal. Did you really think techcrunch just chose to use that name? o.co, a sale that appeared a few hours before the launch, the registry is pouring some fuel on the fire here. They want to get you excited for today.

7. Who is even using this extension?

This is .mobi all over again, instead of the big backers who weren't really backing (Google, Microsoft etc) we've got 3 well known sites supposedly adopting .co (Twitter, Overstock, Techcrunch), do you think these people will be anywhere near the extension in 12 months time? How significant is this usage anyway, a url shortener? Overstock doing a url redirect to their main site? Techcrunch promoting a site for a week or so?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's not like .co is a completely foreign concept, look at .co.uk, .co.za and .co.nz... Brits, South Africans and New Zealanders are already used to typing in .co. Perhaps there will be typo traffic for popular sites with these ccTLD extensions by leaving off the .uk, .za and .nz. Or maybe they also might accidentally type in .co instead of .com.

Co is also the abbreviation for Company in a lot of countries.

A lot of people can get caught up in the excitement or hype, but most of them would fall for anything. Or try and sell the most idiotic names. But those with their heads screwed on will benefit. Be it short term or long term.

For me I'm happy with what I got. I do a lot of content writing and had been thinking about doing a blog about drums and drumming. Suffice to say the shorter appropriate names in .com's were well and truly gone. So it's a good opportunity for me. I'm not in it for quick money. Once my blog is consistent and established I'll introduce Adsense ads. I'm in no rush.

•••
2. Considering point one, that these names are totally confusing, how does it makes sense to consider developing these names.

Would you develop a .cm?

What about the millions of annoying parked .COMs that are sitting and collecting dust? You're right about the newness of the extension, and the fact that it will be confusing to some, but I think the fact that there are so many undeveloped .COMs might work to .CO's advantage.

I'm surprised how many people own mid-level to premium .COMs and don't develop them. Maybe there just isn't enough time to develop everything, or they're sitting around waiting for that $XXX,XXX offer to roll in, but it's a shame.

Check out: AspenHotels(.)com, Emissions(.)com, and Steaks(.)com, for example.

.CO owners who are developing names that have well-established and fully realized .COMs will face a challenge. I mean, what's your best hope, to be ranked on the same page as them? Won't that look confusing? (And if Google marks the location for all these .COs as Colombia, that sort of ranking will be difficult anyway).

But let's say you have a .CO for a high-value .COM, that's currently sitting undeveloped. A lot of those .COM investors are busy developing other projects and managing their portfolios. If they haven't developed it in 13 years, chances are they're just going to let it sit on Sedo forever, until a huge offer comes in.

*If* you developed your .CO and spent a good year adding content and links, and slowly started getting traffic, which is better to a user in a year from now? A fully developed .CO or a stale parking page full of ads?

(Notice I did not say which is more valuable, as in sales price. .COM will clearly always win. But personally, I'm sick & tired of parked pages, even though many of my names are parked, as well. But if I had a premium name, you can bet I'd do my best to get help and develop it).

Just my .02.

There have probably been more .CO registrations than necessary, but it's a little too early to tell the future of the extension. It's only Day Two.

•••
snoop, didn't get any of the .co koolaid?

Seems a lot of self proclaimed 'domain kings' have been touting this as the next big thing due to the fact that they got most of the top commercial keywords WAY before the registrations were even open. :p

Shocking. :lol:

•••
Couldn't agree more..

There is a reason why ccTld's are catching on versus other extensions (cctlds have a specific purpose that makes sense).

In this case, it will make sense if the sites are for Colombia, no one in the right mind will use .co extension to compete as a .com. Also, how will Google, Bing treat this extension...they will have to treat it as a Colombia country code (I would imagine)

We are essentially talking about holding on to see if there is any trickle down traffic from other .co.cctlds primarily.

I expect a lot of drops at the end of the year...

I am somewhat surprised at the level of interest in .co over the last couple of days, from bloggers claiming it is now in the "top 4 extensions" and being worth 10% of a .com to others talking about developing these names and other madness.

A few comments about .co,

1. In my view the main appeal with this extension is typo traffic. Having said that, looking at some Alexa rankings, compete scores and Google Adwords data I would say only the very best generic .co's are going to get much traffic. The registry made a calculated decision when deciding to go public. The main area is likely to be ™ names (registry passes the buck). Even then it seems the registry has done a good job connecting with big sites. Still I think the ™ typo area is the main opportunity.

2. Considering point one, that these names are totally confusing, how does it makes sense to consider developing these names names.

Would you develop a .cm?

The extension is going to be totally confusing for the average person on the street. .biz would be a better choice for development.

3. Reg fees - they aren't cheap and it is going to suck out a lot of the profitability from these names. Whatever value was there is 25% of that with reg fees 4 times higher than other extensions.

4. It's different this time! Isn't it?

.ws, .cc, .tv, .biz, .info, .us, .eu, .mobi, .tel, .me.

Supposedly with every new extension it is going to be different. There is always some compelling reason or argument as to why the latest extension will succeed where other have failed. People will debate it for the next year or two.

In reality it never is different. People get excited for a few months. .co is cool and new, and the fact that nobody actuallly uses it isn't that important yet, after all there is time for growth. Then interest wanes, things turn out not quite as planned. A year later everyone is dropping. People then get angry with the registry saying a lot was promised and not delivered.

Why do the same mistakes keep getting repeated? The registry is setting people up for today, the day when they part with their money and register 200,000 .co names. Most of the money goes into the launch and promoting premium auctions. Afterwards doesn't matter much. Get ready to be strung along a lot.

6. Staged sales/usage: You've been sold to!

disrupt.co, no_url_shorteners, o.co

There is not much genuine news in this. Disrupt.co was part of an advertising deal. Did you really think techcrunch just chose to use that name? o.co, a sale that appeared a few hours before the launch, the registry is pouring some fuel on the fire here. They want to get you excited for today.

7. Who is even using this extension?

This is .mobi all over again, instead of the big backers who weren't really backing (Google, Microsoft etc) we've got 3 well known sites supposedly adopting .co (Twitter, Overstock, Techcrunch), do you think these people will be anywhere near the extension in 12 months time? How significant is this usage anyway, a url shortener? Overstock doing a url redirect to their main site? Techcrunch promoting a site for a week or so?

•••
.CO should do fine as a solid ccTLD, but that is about it. Let's face it, .CO can not deliver on the hype. The main interest is typo related.

The fact is most generic .COM do not get much traffic to start with, at least to support a typo that might happen 1/1000 times. So basically what is left is a TLD perfect for TM squatting and phishing.

The best terms were already off the market at launch. They are all in the hands of a limited number of people which will kill the market for potential development.

I think the obvious promotion of some major domainers and organizations is more of a PR campaign based on self interest instead of an objective view.

Developing a .CO and driving more traffic to the .COM would be a terrible idea. If you think traffic loss developing a .NET was bad, this would dwarf it.

I think a major problem is many domainers just look at domains through domainer glasses. Without wide end user adoption and awareness any new TLD will fail. This is not a gTLD, it is a ccTLD with a big marketing campaign behind it, that is it.

If the "Company" aspect was going to be a key selling point, then .TV would be far more popular. TV is an acronym that is just as well know in the world.

Let's not forget there is another typo that might be coming in the near future as well - .OM (Oman)

Brad

Last edited:
•••
The problem with gTLDs is that the registry can create an infinite amount of extensions like .net .org .mobi .info .travel .gov .cat i mean what's next ? .cow ? .pig ? .web ?

ccTLDs on the other hands are limited to 2 letters long and the most successful ones depends on the country population and popularity like .in .us .eu .jp or the extension's meaning like .co .tv .me .ws

.cm and .om are meaningless.

Last edited:
•••
The verdict will be in soon, when people realize the amount of type in traffic they are getting.

It shouldn't be more than a month to get a very good idea of traffic.

The good thing is we are coming to an end of such speculative domain extensions based on typos .cm, .cc, .co....

•••
My guess is the .Co novelty will be downsized with the release of custom TLD's over the next few years although the best keywords and a small number of typo's will survive.

The rest will drop like flies especially if the reg fees remain high.

•••
My guess is the .Co novelty will be downsized with the release of custom TLD's over the next few years although the best keywords and a small number of typo's will survive.

The rest will drop like flies especially if the reg fees remain high.

.CO is shorter then .COM .NET .ORG .WEB .TEL .MOBI .INFO .CAT .TRAVEL .SPACE .MOON

•••
.CO is shorter then .COM .NET .ORG .WEB .TEL .MOBI .INFO .CAT .TRAVEL .SPACE .MOON

And so is CC/WS/TV/IM/ME and a hundred others....

I am not sure how that is even relevant.

Brad

•••
The only possible success I see for the .co is maybe in a few years it will gain some acceptance in Columbia.

•••
And so is CC/WS/TV/IM/ME and a hundred others....

I am not sure how that is even relevant.

Brad

gTLDs can create infinite numbers of extensions while ccTLDs are limited to 195 countries and out of those 195 counties only 4 have meaningful extension .CO .TV .ME .US

Seriously, WTF does .COM means seriously ? What is .COM ? As far as i know, it used to mean "command" in the 80's and in the late 90's they used as the abbreviation of the word "company" wich it isn't and now it is promoted as "commercial"?

".COM" means computer in Japan.

".NET" i mean are you a spider ?

".ORG" does that mean you have a orgy? :D

ccTLDs are 2 letters long and as you know, shorter is better.
gTLDs are 3 to 6 letters long...

Last edited:
•••

No matter how silly .com, .net, and .org might seem, those TLDs are seriously ingrained in our minds.

.co will have an uphill battle as a de facto gTLD.

•••
Google approves .co domain for international use - PC Pro - Google approves .co domain for international use | News | PC Pro

•••
Google approves .co domain for international use - PC Pro - Google approves .co domain for international use | News | PC Pro

Good news for the extension, but I doubt it will make a dint in .com for a long time, if ever.

•••
.com = Commercial

.com will always be the defacto internet extention at least as far as I can see.

This doesn't mean that other extentions and web addresses wont do well.

I hear a lot of ads for .tv and .net and .org even .info ,I even heard on for .mobi the other day on the radio.

If you have an ad budget you can make anything work.

It is more about how a domain is developed and preforms on search for most of us.

•••
Good news for the extension, but I doubt it will make a dint in .com for a long time, if ever.

.CO is glowing at rocket speed while .COM as been growing slowly by age like a turtle.

In 5 years i expect .CO to kill .ORG and .NET or reach the same level as .COM

•••

It joined .TV / .ME and others. Congrats.

Brad

•••
Rockets generally don't last for long at all while turtles live for a long time depending on what species they are, that was a bad example you chose :P

•••
In 5 years i expect .CO to kill .ORG and .NET or reach the same level as .COM

Yeah, good luck with that. I predict a lot of the people promoting .CO won't be involved with domains 5 years from now.

COM/NET/ORG are the big 3 and have broad consumer awareness and credibility. That will not change.

Many people don't seem to understand that .COM grew as the internet grew. There is no comparison to be made to any new extension.

Brad

•••
What happened to COM.CO ? Did that vanish or become 100% devalued all of a sudden?

•••

Nowhere in that article is a Google OFFICIAL position.

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back