IT.COM

strategy 5-10 years investment strategy ? Need your help!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Sala Basha

Account Closed
Impact
Hello All,

I hear good things about the community and members over here, Lots of people say this is the place to learn about domain investing and the industry.

I'm new to domaining, reading as much as i can from every source i can find. I still need the guidence and learn from the experience of other who already made it.

I came to the conclusion that there is more than 100,000+ tactics can be applied to profit from domaining but i need to narrow it to few so i can start on the right path.

Here are my questions:

1. With all of the extensions available now i decided to invest in .com .co .net .org .ws From your experience or in your opinion which is the best to focus on for the future and why ? or maybe my decision is wrong and i may have to focus on the new ones like .xyz .club .io?

2. Which is better Brandable/made up names or keywords/Geo's ?

3. Is it better to invest and wait for buyers to approach me? or focus on getting names and contacting potential buyers, and does that considered spamming ?

4. Is there any specific service providers are active in buying domains? For ex. lawyers, designers, real-estate agents, etc... ?

5. Is it better to just buy domains, try to develop websites or both ? Why ?

6. Is parking dead ? if not what is the most important thing to consider when getting a domain for parking ?

7. Is there any specific platform with higher sales rate than others ? ex. Sedo vs Flippa vs. Afternic vs. GoDaddy Auctions. and who are the buyers in these platform ? domainers or endusers?

8. What are the most important tools to use as a domain investor ?

9. On the long run is it better to sell lots of domains with little profit? or just get few for very high ROI ?

10. Where is the best place to buy a domain from? Auction sites? Backorder service? GDCloseout? or maybe try to buy several at wholesale price from other investors with huge inventory ?

I know its a million question in one post and all of them already answered in the forum,You don't have to answer every question i asked, but i want to know what got you the best results. And if i did not ask the right questions kindly point it out.

Please ignore any grammar mistakes. I think grammar is overrated ;)

Thank you all in advance.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I doubt you will get answers to all your questions on a single thread. I'll answer only a few of them. You'll probably have to create new threads to get all your answers.

3. Is it better to invest and wait for buyers to approach me? or focus on getting names and contacting potential buyers, and does that considered spamming ?

You are in a better negotiating position if you receive unsollicited offers. However, only top quality domains receive such offers.

There are indeed limitations to sending emails: your email may never reach your recipient because of spam filters, gate keepers, lack of receptivity of the person you email to ... Offering unrelated domains to end users has high chances to get you reported as a spammer

5. Is it better to just buy domains, try to develop websites or both ? Why ?

These are two different professions. Building and selling online businesses (with traffic, sales, list, branding...) is a very viable business model. Quickly developping a thin website is more questionnable. The selling prices of thin webs in flippa are very low (often hardly more than 100-200$). NP is not a good forum to discuss web development as most people here sell domains, not websites.

6. Is parking dead ? if not what is the most important thing to consider when getting a domain for parking ?

Parking is not dead, and you will find mixed opinions. Parking a domain that gets type in traffic is a good way to get unsollicited offers. Parking revenue may help to cover the renewal fees, and that's good to take, especially if you have a large portfolio.

8. What are the most important tools to use as a domain investor ?

I've asked this question already, but I've not received any serious answer. It must be a top secret.

Beside the few obvious tools such as expireddomains.net, namebio.com or 'domain name analyzer', You'll have to discover the right tools while discussing in the forums.

Last point, among the zillion strategies used in domaining, the most frequent on this forum is to buy good to top quality domains that are undervalued, pay the price for them (100 to 1000$ or more) and sell them with profit relatively quickly. That supposes you know well the market trends both short term and long term. It's exactly like stock or antiques investing.

•••
Hello @aramyus Thank you for the feedback. As mentioned I'm new here!

•••
1. .com .com .com .com etc...

2. If you can afford keywords then go that route, but a few brandables helps diversify.

3. Some names are better to market than others. A super generic keyword will generally create its own interest, while keyword-geo will need marketing.

4. You won't know for sure until you contact a company whether they are interested or not.

5. If you have a domain that you're attached to, or any domain with decent value but not great, is worth developing.

6. It's not dead but it's also not a great source of money 99% of the time. If you're stuck to the idea, then you're better off buying domains with existing parking revenue and treat it as an investment rather than "park and hope it makes money".

7. Go on namebio.com to look at previous sales, you'll get an idea of what platform works for certain domains.

8. $$$$$, time, effort, and $$$. And namepros forums.

9. Unless you can buy and flip large amounts of liquid domains at a time, it will be more profitable to buy and hold.

10. Depends on the domain. Generally auctions will bare domains at fair reseller prices, but you have to find the good ones of course. I and most people on the forum spend large chunks of the day searching all platforms to find good deals.

If I had to give you a single piece of advice, I'd say once you think you're ready to jump into domain investing, take another two weeks to keep researching (I wish someone had told me this). You learn best by trying and failing, but it's better to reduce the failures.

Good luck B-)

•••
@finerd17 thank you for the advice really appreciate it.

•••
You asked all the right questions so you know whats up. You can find answers to these questions all over the forum. 10 year investment plan? I would say get very familiar with niches like emerging tech, health, insurance, business, real estate, travel/tourism, fashion and beauty. Keep informed through blogs, newsletters, feeds, whitepapers etc. This way you get to know the new things in the offing then register those keywords and hold till they get mainstream. This is one way to build a portfolio of names you intend to hold long term. GL

•••
@bytedo Thank for the input, sounds like a plan. :$::$::$:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back