IT.COM

marketplace Is it just Sedo Re Invoicing buyers

NameSilo
Watch
So once again I'm on the Sedo merry-go-round. Well at least for anther couple of days. Yep we all get them, false offers or buy now agreements Never to materialise. But Sedo seem to be the only one to encourage this by offering a 7 day window to pay by Invoice, Even for Buy Now listings. I previously pulled all my domains from Sedo after getting a spate of these fictious sales notices from them. Do Sedo offer an opt-out option from this fake sale encouragement. (7 day invoice for payment) If not, I'm going to remove all my domains again.

I've been around long enough to have had my share of fake buyers, so I don't count a sale until the money is in an Escrow service, But, every time I see Kenya or Nigeria as the location of buyer from the meagre amount of information that Sedo disclose, I know it is just a No-Go.

Perhaps Sedo just like to have a lot of fictitious pending sales on their books. If they're going to allow this abused invoicing, then stop removing the domains from the market place. I did notice they had removed the sale in progress from the resolving url. this morning. but I'd rather the domain was still showing it was available until it's been paid for.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you don't want to deal with Sedo directly, there is an option: You can list your domains on Squadhelp as standard listings (just 7.5% commission) and turn on the automatic Sedo syndication. That way you only list the domains on Squadhelp, then their system will syndicate the domains automatically on Sedo. So you can delete all your domains from Sedo, because then your domains will be active under the Squadhelp's Sedo account.
Then you need to manually list the domains on Afternic to utilize the Afternic network.

•••
Thanks for that Charybdis. I'm looking for different options and that seems a good one. I've been a bit lazy and only used Dan or Sedo for the past few years

•••
Or perhaps a better option (If Sedo are reading) is just state to invoice requests.

WE ARE SORRY but due to the number of fictitious buyers agreements submitted from your country, Sedo do not allow the standard 7 day invoicing option for payment. Please use the Buy/Pay-now option

They know better than any, just where these are mostly originating from. Of course Sedo will say that they ban accounts that do not fulfil the sales contract , but these are just Micky Mouse accounts anyway.

Last edited:
•••
Sorry to be such a repeat poster in my own thread but do members have any thoughts on why it seems to be only Sedo invoiced sales that are subject to repeated abuse. I've tried to understand the motivation behind the fake buyer.

1. Perhaps it makes the fake buyer feel like domain player (well for a week, at least)
2. Maybe it's because it gives the fake buyer a seven day window to try and sell-on the domain

I Can't think of any other reason. I don't think I'm being targeted as my completed sales far outweigh the fake ones. And the fake ones do only come via Sedo invoiced sales, Or occasionally by direct email

Last edited:
•••
but I'd rather the domain was still showing it was available until it's been paid for
Hi

as sellers on the forums, it's always been standard practice to label a domain as "pending",
when it was in negotiation or while waiting for buyer to send payments.

so, i don't see issue with what sedo does, in those instances.

though there have been a few buyers who took longer than 7 days to pay,
i've had less than five, since 2004, who didn't complete the transaction.

imo...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back