Dynadot

new gtlds .XYZ set to be TOP extension in 2 years time! OFFICIAL Countdown and celebration thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
This may be news to some people, but I have been lovingly informed many times that .XYZ is going to overtake .COM as the top extension online within 2 years. Here is but a few:

xyz will be the first choice next 1 -2 years
I'll bet you right here on this date that XYZ will grow bigger than .com in the next two years, and then you, my friend, will have nothing but regret.

Well, I know that most people on here won't want to miss the boat on this one, so this thread can serve as a tracker for .XYZ's great rise to greatness and hegemony 🏆!

People said that when .top was the number 1 new GTLD in terms of registration count for a few months at least, that it meant it was going to be the top one overall, but unfortunately that didn't happen, >>all of the signs were there<<, but now LITERALLY ALL of the signs are there for XYZ and we're going to make sure it's on track. This thread is going to serve as undisputable proof of such signs to show that it's on track to being #1.

.XYZ has a chance because it's three seldom used letters at the end of a domain instead of a word like .TOP (or worse, the sickening and wholly useless .COM 🤢, for which it is now impossible to find a good domain) and domainers are saying it is so more often this time than with .top and they are more invested this time than ever before, so it must be true and who am I to say otherwise?

So this is it people... by posting this thread I am starting the:

2 YEAR OFFICIAL COUNTDOWN 🔢 TO XYZ's METIORIC RISE TO THE TOP 💥.

Post rules:
I would appreciate it if you could keep all posts in this thread to factual and numeric updates on the meteoric rise of .XYZ so that it can be understood by all. It is not a debate thread, nor is it to discuss whether or not this is going to happen, that is cut and dried now - it's happening, I have been told too many times. 2 years and it's done, we can put it to bed, I'll have egg on my face but we can all get on with our lives and make a killing as we've all been warned now.

NO thanks ❌
- Debates
- Slating .XYZ
- Lies

YES please ✅
- The number of days counting down to 24th August 2024
- Cold hard figures from reputable source(s) that compare .XYZ to .COM to show the progress of the inevitable and METIORIC RISE of .XYZ. Including but not limited to counts of: total registrations, developed domains, parked domains, registrations per day, sales figures and likelihood of reaching goal
- Include sources
- Whether it is on track to being the TOP extension or not given the figures

NB: The examples given are for representative purposes only, please don't goad them, this post isn't intended to target them, it's not that serious.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thursday 22 August, 2024. It's a date!

•••
No, it's a bit rude to go around bleating someone's name all the time don't you think?

I don't want to drag them into everything to do with XYZ. They have a right to privacy as much as the next person... If they want to be in the discussion then that's up to them.

I don't think mentioning the name of "the main seller" is 'bleating someone's name' (as you so nicely put it). That person has done a lot to publicize their sales and xyz, so I doubt they'd object that much to being named.

•••
.COM 25,270,000,000
.ORG 9,430,000,000
.NET 4,760,000,000
.INFO 541,000,000
.XYZ 296,000,000
.BIZ 153,000,000

Don't think it is about which one is bigger...
never heard someone say, xyz will be big as com.

It's solely about, with which tld (keyword.extension) you can earn most money.

•••
I don't think mentioning the name of "the main seller" is 'bleating someone's name' (as you so nicely put it). That person has done a lot to publicize their sales and xyz, so I doubt they'd object that much to being named.
It's not positive or good for me to drag them into every spat about XYZ. You can if you so desire. You have done before and I called you a tattle tale for doing so. Fill your boots if you feel so strongly about it...

Last edited:
•••
It's not positive or good for me to drag them into every spat about XYZ. You can if you so desire. You have done before and I called you a tattle tale for doing so. Fill your boots if you feel so strongly about it...

You felt so strongly about xyz, you needed to start a 'hilarious' parody countdown thread on it, tracking it daily.
Looks like the extension has got in your head.

•••
You felt so strongly about xyz, you needed to start a 'hilarious' parody countdown thread on it, tracking it daily.
Looks like the extension has got in your head.
I suppose comedy is subjective.

This thread is intended to be a frequent look at the state of XYZ using metrics that we can track over time.

•••
Just making an observation that dot com is two syllables while dot ex why zed is four syllables, seems to fly in the face of making everything faster and easier to double our speech output requirement. Just an observation.

•••
Just making an observation that dot com is two syllables while dot ex why zed is four syllables, seems to fly in the face of making everything faster and easier to double our speech output requirement. Just an observation.
ok, that's right.

but we also must take into account, what looks cooler?!

It ain't a surprise why .info is boring...

•••
https://www.spotvirtual.com/blog/the-perils-of-an-xyz-domain/

I'd recommend reading the whole article, not just the quote below:

The Perils of an .xyz Domain​

What if I told you there was a way to instantly increase your email deliverability, website accessibility, the number of social media posts, and the customer perception of your brand? We just did exactly that by switching our primary domain from spot.xyz to spotvirtual.com.

Initially, the allure of a four-letter domain was strong. The .xyz extension was also fitting–Spot being a 3d virtual workplace in the browser–as it pertains to the multi-dimensional nature of our product. Moreover, surely choosing the same top-level domain as Google’s parent company, Alphabet, has been using for years is a relatively safe choice for our application? Unsurprisingly, this turns out to not be the case.

Not all top-level domains (TLDs) are created equal and some are much worse than others. We suspected as much, but we didn’t know how to quantify the risk when we were making this decision. In this post we lay out the impacts that having a .xyz was having on our business and hope to simplify the decision for other companies in the future.

Once we switched over to spotvirtual.com, not only did the anecdotal experience drastically improve, but we were able to quantify this based on some of our emails which were tracked. After switching, our initial email open rates rose from 70% to 86%, second email open rates rose from 50% to 72%, and overall meeting conversions rose from .1% to 3%! This improvement alone is worth the domain switch.

•••
https://www.spotvirtual.com/blog/the-perils-of-an-xyz-domain/

I'd recommend reading the whole article, not just the quote below:

The Perils of an .xyz Domain​

What if I told you there was a way to instantly increase your email deliverability, website accessibility, the number of social media posts, and the customer perception of your brand? We just did exactly that by switching our primary domain from spot.xyz to spotvirtual.com.

Initially, the allure of a four-letter domain was strong. The .xyz extension was also fitting–Spot being a 3d virtual workplace in the browser–as it pertains to the multi-dimensional nature of our product. Moreover, surely choosing the same top-level domain as Google’s parent company, Alphabet, has been using for years is a relatively safe choice for our application? Unsurprisingly, this turns out to not be the case.

Not all top-level domains (TLDs) are created equal and some are much worse than others. We suspected as much, but we didn’t know how to quantify the risk when we were making this decision. In this post we lay out the impacts that having a .xyz was having on our business and hope to simplify the decision for other companies in the future.

Once we switched over to spotvirtual.com, not only did the anecdotal experience drastically improve, but we were able to quantify this based on some of our emails which were tracked. After switching, our initial email open rates rose from 70% to 86%, second email open rates rose from 50% to 72%, and overall meeting conversions rose from .1% to 3%! This improvement alone is worth the domain switch.

If I received an SMS or email that advertised an .xyz I would have a hard time convincing myself that it's a legitimate company.

The examples of xyz domains that host "crypto" and "web3" projects don't exactly scream out trust to me, but that could just be the nature of those projects and not necessarily the domain that they are on.

I think that if the main thing that is hosted on xyz domains is these crypto/blockchain projects that are just about pouring your money in and risking your money with some anonymous entity then that it's not going to do it any good over all.

They need more projects that are trusted and provide useful information and services... They better be quick though to meet the deadline.

Last edited:
•••
1 / What exactly are you saying will take place on 24th August 2024?
2 / Are you willing to bet money (held in escrow) on this event taking place?

•••
1 / What exactly are you saying will take place on 24th August 2024?
2 / Are you willing to bet money (held in escrow) on this event taking place?
I hoped I had made it pretty clear from the initial post.

Why do you want me to bet money on something happening when you don't even know what it is that I'm saying will happen? 😂😆

•••
Is there anyone other than domainers buying .xyz domains? I’ve never seen a company use the extension for a product or service.
jack dursey blovk.xyz spiral.xyz
amazon.xyz
facebook.xyz
apple.xyz
many more

•••
I suppose comedy is subjective.

This thread is intended to be a frequent look at the state of XYZ using metrics that we can track over time.
You try to make it look official, but then have yourself and all xyz haters posting whatever info fits their narrative. You started this thread with a built in bias and the aim is seemingly to track data that (you hope) proves you right.

Last edited:
•••
amazon.xyz
facebook.xyz
apple.xyz
Well Amazon, Facebook and Apple aren’t using xyz for anything. They simply own them for IP protection.

•••
You try to make it look official, but then have yourself and all xyz haters posting whatever info fits their narrative. You started this threat with a built in bias and the aim is seemingly to track data that (you hope) proves you right.
Please present whatever information you wish. As long as it's legit and we can get an update on it later for the purposes of seeing it progress over the next 2 years then it is welcomed. I don't really want to be the only one providing the numbers tbh, I'd rather that others in the community did it...

•••
This may be news to some people, but I have been lovingly informed many times that .XYZ is going to overtake .COM as the top extension online within 2 years.
How do you define saying .XYZ will be the top extension in two years time? Top means number one, so number one of what list? Anyway, I thought we already established .top is and will always be the top extension. :ROFL::xf.laugh::-P No but seriously, are you just looking for general trends about .XYZ overtaking .COM or something specific and tangible mate?

•••
Please present whatever information you wish. As long as it's legit and we can get an update on it later for the purposes of seeing it progress over the next 2 years then it is welcomed. I don't really want to be the only one providing the numbers tbh, I'd rather that others in the community did it...
So if .XYZ jumps up 20% versus .COM we can mention it but if it then drops 30% we can't? Sorry, I was just on the phone to Kim Jong-un having a chat about enforced propaganda. He's actually a really good lad.

•••
You try to make it look official, but then have yourself and all xyz haters posting whatever info fits their narrative. You started this thread with a built in bias and the aim is seemingly to track data that (you hope) proves you right.
There's no need to make it sound sinister. You have detected the tongue in cheek nature of the post, but the idea is to put to bed anecdotes and pontification with regards to XYZ. There is great value in putting figures and a deadline to things, so that's what I want this thread to do.

You're able to make such pontifications in another thread.

To answer your question @redemo you can mention any figures whether it goes up or down. As long as the figures are real... I haven't said that it has to be negative or positive, let the figures speak for themselves. For the purposes of this thread it would need to be figures for xyz and compared to .com because I've been told it will overtake .com, so it's pin point focused on that.

If someone wants to make another thread that takes a different approach then I wouldn't seek to stand in your way.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Ok, it's not really a figure that we can track over time, nor can we compare it to .COM. However, since you posted I had a look at Paradigm's website. They list their portfolio at the URL: https://www.paradigm.xyz/portfolio. As those that are apparently at the forefront of crypto/web3 their projects surely reflect the state of domains in this space.

Only a few of the projects that they have in their portfolio list uses .XYZ, so I don't know where we would get the idea from your post that .XYZ is going to overtake .com based on it.

Here's a breakdown by extension count of their projects.

.COM - 17 Projects
.IO - 12 Projects
.CO - 6 Projects
.XYZ - 2 Projects
.ORG - 2 Projects
.NET - 2 Projects
.FINANCE - 4 Projects
.IS - 2 Projects
.TECHONOLOGY - 1 Project
.US - 1 Project
.AI - 1 Project
.LIFE - 1 Project
.MARKET - 1 Project
(source)

Based on this I would be more inclined to conclude that .IO was going to have a better shot at overtaking .COM than .XYZ given that it appears to be popular. But .COM continues to be king so far, but we'll see how it evolves over the next 2 years.

Here's the full list from the links on their portfolio page:
ambergroup.io
aiarena.io
argent.xyz
aztec.network
betdex.com
bitso.com
blockfi.com
blur.io
chainalysis.com
citadelsecurities.com
coinbase.com
coinswitch.co
compound.finance
cosmos.network
dydx.exchange
euler.finance
fireblocks.com
flashbots.net
fractal.is
ftx.com
ftx.us
gauntlet.network
genesisdigitalassets.com
gitcoin.co
jambo.technology
jetprotocol.io
keep.network
lightspark.com
lootrush.com
madrealities.xyz
magiceden.io
matrixport.com
moonpay.com
namebase.io
numer.ai
o1labs.org
opensea.io
optimism.io
opyn.co
osmosis.zone
parallel.life
phantom.app
praxissociety.com
rain.bh
reflexer.finance
ribbon.finance
royal.io
showtime.io
skymavis.com
siasky.net
spacemesh.io
starkware.co
synthetix.io
taxbit.com
tessera.co
uniswap.org
utopialabs.com
veil.market
yield.is
zora.co

Days remaining (source):
728 days to go! 🥂🎉

•••
Ok, it's not really a figure that we can track over time, nor can we compare it to .COM. However, since you posted I had a look at Paradigm's website. They list their portfolio at the URL: https://www.paradigm.xyz/portfolio. As those that are apparently at the forefront of crypto/web3 their projects surely reflect the state of domains in this space.

Only a few of the projects that they have in their portfolio list uses .XYZ, so I don't know where we would get the idea from your post that .XYZ is going to overtake .com based on it.

Here's a breakdown by extension count of their projects.

.COM - 17 Projects
.IO - 12 Projects
.CO - 6 Projects
.XYZ - 2 Projects
.ORG - 2 Projects
.NET - 2 Projects
.FINANCE - 4 Projects
.IS - 2 Projects
.TECHONOLOGY - 1 Project
.US - 1 Project
.AI - 1 Project
.LIFE - 1 Project
.MARKET - 1 Project
(source)

Based on this I would be more inclined to conclude that .IO was going to have a better shot at overtaking .COM than .XYZ given that it appears to be popular. But .COM continues to be king so far, but we'll see how it evolves over the next 2 years.

Here's the full list from the links on their portfolio page:

Days remaining (source):
728 days to go! 🥂🎉
What I mentioned is a drop in the middle of the ocean, I don't want to prove anything to you and you will keep counting and believe me you will be surprised
See you at the finish line..

•••
Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back