IT.COM

discuss .XYZ is more memorable than .COM?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I just happened to read this article on one of the blogs which says that people prefer to go for unconventional domain extensions like .xyz, which is a top-tier domain extension used by companies like Google, to stand out from the crowd. Have a read through the article:

"Most companies stick to the usual domains like a .com, .org, or .net, but there are a lot of companies out there that capitalize on a domain name to create a unique impression among an audience. It’s as simple as getting a domain that is unlike the rest, making it more memorable for being different.

Take the .xyz domain name, for instance. It is short and uses the last three letters of the alphabet, which makes it easy to recall. The .xyz domain ending is considered a top-tier domain and is used by Google’s corporate website, alphabet. Another great example is the .monster domain, which is versatile in that it can express the company’s message of being a powerful and enthusiastic brand."

Link: https://www.chartattack.com/creating-a-brand-identity/

What is your take on the awareness about .COM and new gTLDs among experts or atleast people who make an impact? Are people still far from understanding that .COM is the KING?
What do you think can be done for them to create awareness?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Seeing how most people's encounters with .xyz is that they are spammy or even scammy sites, I very much doubt that it is more memorable.
Unless you want it to be memorable in a bad way.

•••
•••
•••
Seeing how most people's encounters with .xyz is that they are spammy or even scammy sites,
Today according to Spamhaus statistics .xyz has an identical badness score to .com (0.58 which is relatively quite good) and almost the same percentage of bad sites as com. I am sure that 5 years ago when they had the "giveaway" promotion that .xyz was bad, but it has not been, at least according to Spamhaus stats, for years.

Yes, if you look at the top 1000 sites in both extensions, no doubt that .com are WAY better, with some .xyz used for not the greatest purposes. However, a lot of spam coming from .com outside the big sites, so when you look at the entire universe of the two TLDs, they are not that different. This is a significant accomplishment for .xyz because, generally speaking, you would expect newer to have more abuse and discounted to have more abuse.

That said, of course the article is way off base about respect. Yes, a feather in the cap of .xyz when Alphabet began, and continues, to use abc.xyz for their investor relations, but overall .com is many, many times more respected.

Bob

•••
A lot of .com holders don't want to hear anything about .xyz, so maybe just keep quiet and let things fade away then see what happens in the future, lol.
The disadvantages of cheap registration fee is to use at least three times more effort to crack down on fishing sites which the .xyz registry never stop doing on it, it is also a good strategy to stand out among other ntlds, I think once registrations volume to reach more than say like 10 million for example(including huge amount legitimate built-up websites) they could choose to reduce registration discount for the first year, then .xyz will become one of the most secure domain name for sure, this action will be the xyz’s ace card when time has been mature.

•••
Complete nonsense.

Brad
Agreed. The xyz thing is a waste.

it is probably just me.. not that tech savvy etc. nor care to be... and I have yet to visit a xyz site for any purpose.

Last edited:
•••
.XYZ is more memorable than .COM?

Sure. After a few years you find you just can't remember why-the-F*ck you bought them in the first place!

•••
Propaganda.

.xyz almost double .com renewal!!

Samer

Last edited:
•••
After a few years you find you just can't remember why-the-F*ck you bought them in the first place!

the great xyz penny promo
Samer

Last edited:
•••
.XYZ is more memorable than .COM?

Sure. After a few years you find you just can't remember why-the-F*ck you bought them in the first place!
LOL!!

•••
Lot of startup end users now preferring .xyz over any other extensions. They couldn't afford a single word .com being a startup. It should be a good sign to .xyz.
.Com, how many times should we discuss about it?

•••
Lot of startup end users now preferring .xyz over any other extensions. They couldn't afford a single word .com being a startup. It should be a good sign to .xyz.
.Com, how many times should we discuss about it?

why not “.co”?

Isnt there a company that “upgraded” from the two word .com to one word .co? @Lox?

only respectable .xyz is abc.xyz it’s gimmick!
hype around Alphabet xyz fizzled spectacularly

OP hyping .xyz reminds this 2015 .xyz article;
https://www.wired.com/2015/08/alphabet-rewrites-the-domain-name-game/

all have to do read the title. Great promotion, but a lot work required to run a registry
and .xyz is no exception, not even close.

Samer

Last edited:
•••
.Co is a cctld. May be some startups have been choosing them.
What if .Co has been permitted to use in their designated country?

•••
I assume there is very much possibility the way those new graduated collage students or youth so called new generations would see .com as .com holders see .net that .com is kinda of getting old school, .xyz is sharp clean and neat, coolest stuff, for new generations, end of alphabet that make sense...blah x3, if that really happen .com will suddenly crash like Nokia phones.
And just because .xyz is a crypto thing, haven't you heard?

Last edited:
•••
I just happened to read this article on one of the blogs which says that people prefer to go for unconventional domain extensions like .xyz, which is a top-tier domain extension used by companies like Google, to stand out from the crowd. Have a read through the article:

"Most companies stick to the usual domains like a .com, .org, or .net, but there are a lot of companies out there that capitalize on a domain name to create a unique impression among an audience. It’s as simple as getting a domain that is unlike the rest, making it more memorable for being different.

Take the .xyz domain name, for instance. It is short and uses the last three letters of the alphabet, which makes it easy to recall. The .xyz domain ending is considered a top-tier domain and is used by Google’s corporate website, alphabet. Another great example is the .monster domain, which is versatile in that it can express the company’s message of being a powerful and enthusiastic brand."

Link: https://www.chartattack.com/creating-a-brand-identity/

What is your take on the awareness about .COM and new gTLDs among experts or atleast people who make an impact? Are people still far from understanding that .COM is the KING?
What do you think can be done for them to create awareness?

I always check out who the author is. Just some random person that was assigned to write about something. Or on her own. I guess she's also an expert on cannabis, precious metals, flooring, home construction, speech therapy for kids etc. Random article on the internet, not a clue about domaining.

•••
A lot of us here are in a tunnel-vision of domaining and are used to .com .net .org .biz .info .xyz .us .cc .co .global .pizza .nr .ha .top .black .frostify (last one is a joke)

..but to your average consumer. Your Joe Schmoe. Your person strolling down the street in the city. There is only ONE domain extension.

.COM is KING

Right now anything else is a novelty with a few rare exceptions (.gov .edu .mil)

A lot of people don't want to hear that simply because it's frustrating to go to a Registrar like GoDaddy and spend hours typing in keywords only to realize that everything good has already been taken but that's just the reality.

.XYZ may be good for a quirky startup but for a solid business, one that may one day want to attract investors, to grow, to offer shares and go public, .COM still is and may always be KING.

Think about this question:
Would you pitch this business with this domain name to a bank potentially offering you a loan? What kind of identity and authority does your domain give?

There is definitely still value in "the big three" and I myself buy/sell them (.com .net .org) and even some big sales here and there with new extensions but I'd stick to the big 3, and primarily .COM

Last edited:
•••
why not “.co”?

Isnt there a company that “upgraded” from the two word .com to one word .co? @Lox?

only respectable .xyz is abc.xyz it’s gimmick!
hype around Alphabet xyz fizzled spectacularly

OP hyping .xyz reminds this 2015 .xyz article;
https://www.wired.com/2015/08/alphabet-rewrites-the-domain-name-game/

all have to do read the title. Great promotion, but a lot work required to run a registry
and .xyz is no exception, not even close.

Samer

AgencyWithin.com to Within.co

Y19 (spotted)
2W-3W.com to 1W.co - 381
2W-3W.com to 1W.xyz - 0 (1 rolled back from .xyz to .com)
etc

Regards

•••
upload_2020-3-23_4-59-34.png

•••
•••
I actually only know two sites that use .xyz efficiently, one is Alphabet, the other a Medium platform blog.

IMO it would have worked well, but due to how it sounds, you need some very domain-hacky names or else there is no point.

Even if the statistics say the spam scores are similar, how people see the extensions is more important.

•••
Things can also be memorable in a bad way. If I developed my website on a .horse people might remember that also, but for the wrong reasons.

Memorability is important, but I would value credibility far above it. You don't want to be remembered for having a stupid domain.

The extension launched 5+ years ago.
Does anyone actually visit a website on an .XYZ regularly?

That tells you all you need to know.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
•••
Does anyone actually visit a website on an .XYZ regularly?
I do, Brad. At least two actually.

I periodically visit abc.xyz because I like to see how Google revenue is changing in search, ads and their other operations, and because it is such a huge company even those of us who don't own individual stocks own some through ETFs or mutual funds. Also, sometimes the Alphabet/Google CEOs post interesting futuristic insights, like the one a few years back about possibility of Internet bifurcating. I also like to track how their "Other Bets" division (covers things like their dream factory and autonomous car development) are doing.

The site also has other relevant current things. For example, they have a number of articles on their COVID-19 response currently including the information site.

But the .xyz site I visit most regularly, definitely a few times a week, is West.xyz. It is the "western" (or maybe English-speaking is more correct) portal for the huge Chinese domain registrar West. They have great prices on some, not all, new extensions.

I have from time to time accessed others. For example, one of Canada's major university's engineering department had this 3D printing service, where you could submit electronic plans and get a product pretty reasonably. I think they have now gone to part of the institution website, however. I learned about the site on Domain Name Wire, that had a column in 2017 on a dozen or so meaningful .xyz sites. XYZ does make sense for 3D printing, positioning, graphing, 3D models, etc. where the xyz as a coordinate system is sensible.

I agree there are not many xyz sites that the average person visits, but there are some. There are about 2400 .xyz in Alexa 1M, not all of them are very meaningful or good sites, though, I would agree.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
Back